NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Protocol on Psychosurgery

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:20 pm

Caspian Settlement wrote:I could remove the clause, and instead insert a modified version of it for all major illnesses in The Cloning Conventions proposal, which could be much cleaner. Thoughts?

OOC: Thoughts? Yes: drop the nonsense about the clones.

More specifically, "mental illness" (clause 1) and "brain malformations" (clause 4) don't really have... much to do with one another. Epilepsy is not a mental illness, for instance, even though it might be caused by a structural/functional defect and be relieved with surgery. As usual, you seem to have definitions for words that aren't the normally used definitions. Also I think PRA already covers clause 2, at least so that it can't be done against the individual's will.

Also, I still can't help but think of something like this when seeing the title... :lol2:
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Caspian Settlement
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Caspian Settlement » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:38 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Caspian Settlement wrote:I could remove the clause, and instead insert a modified version of it for all major illnesses in The Cloning Conventions proposal, which could be much cleaner. Thoughts?

OOC: Thoughts? Yes: drop the nonsense about the clones.

More specifically, "mental illness" (clause 1) and "brain malformations" (clause 4) don't really have... much to do with one another. Epilepsy is not a mental illness, for instance, even though it might be caused by a structural/functional defect and be relieved with surgery. As usual, you seem to have definitions for words that aren't the normally used definitions. Also I think PRA already covers clause 2, at least so that it can't be done against the individual's will.

Also, I still can't help but think of something like this when seeing the title... :lol2:

Dropped.

Some brain malformations definitely have a high chance of causing mental illness, which is why Clause 4 only refers to brain malformations which have such a high chance.
A Proud Patriotic Pacifican.
Seasoned WA Author. | GP Alignment: 2, 19 | Discord: Cassett#0940
Formerly known as La Navasse | IC: Caspian, OOC: Cassett (CAS-set)

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:48 am

Caspian Settlement wrote:Some brain malformations definitely have a high chance of causing mental illness, which is why Clause 4 only refers to brain malformations which have such a high chance.

OOC: Then what counts as high chance? 5%? 30%? 95%? Or for that matter what's "near-certainty"? Shouldn't it be complete certainty?

Also, why giving fetuses different rights? (And I'm slightly worried that the political leanings of the pregnant individual aren't on a ban list there.)
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Caspian Settlement
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Caspian Settlement » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:35 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Caspian Settlement wrote:Some brain malformations definitely have a high chance of causing mental illness, which is why Clause 4 only refers to brain malformations which have such a high chance.

OOC: Then what counts as high chance? 5%? 30%? 95%? Or for that matter what's "near-certainty"? Shouldn't it be complete certainty?

Also, why giving fetuses different rights? (And I'm slightly worried that the political leanings of the pregnant individual aren't on a ban list there.)

OOC: Nothing in medicine can be of complete certainty, I believe - there's always a chance of diagnostic error, however small it may be, and having certainty as a requirement would likely prevent the use of psychosurgery for those who actually need it.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by the political leanings of a pregnant individual?

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:41 am

Caspian Settlement wrote:Could you elaborate on what you mean by the political leanings of a pregnant individual?

OOC: *points to your clause 2*

Caspian Settlement
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Caspian Settlement » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:50 am

Araraukar wrote:
Caspian Settlement wrote:Could you elaborate on what you mean by the political leanings of a pregnant individual?

OOC: *points to your clause 2*

Edited accordingly.

Given there are no other objections, I would consider submitting this resolution before this weekend.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:39 pm

OOC: Clause 3 doesn't really need a subclause as there's only one subclause. Either make the subclause its own clause or absorb it into the main clause. Additionally, what about distinguishing between the individual seeking the treatment themselves (which is when the bar could be lower) versus the treatment being ordered on them involuntarily or because they're not considered legally competent (when it should be higher)?

Also, with "major or extreme", the latter term is unnecessary, as "major" includes "extreme".

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:12 pm

“There is no reasoning that I can see for allowing pregnant women to undergo psychosurgery based on a political position for some benefit for the child. Could you perhaps explain this to me? Also, I believe the ‘Understanding’ clause would flow better were there to be a ‘the’ after the ‘on’.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Caspian Settlement
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Caspian Settlement » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:44 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Clause 3 doesn't really need a subclause as there's only one subclause. Either make the subclause its own clause or absorb it into the main clause. Additionally, what about distinguishing between the individual seeking the treatment themselves (which is when the bar could be lower) versus the treatment being ordered on them involuntarily or because they're not considered legally competent (when it should be higher)?

Also, with "major or extreme", the latter term is unnecessary, as "major" includes "extreme".

Edited accordingly. As for distinguishing between individuals seeking treatment themselves and individuals not considered legally competent, as psychosurgery is a controversial treatment with a great potential for misuse, I rather have both patients be treated equally than some malicious foreign government labeling all psychosurgery patients as "seeking the treatment themselves," thus exploiting the distinguishing clause.

Kenmoria wrote:“There is no reasoning that I can see for allowing pregnant women to undergo psychosurgery based on a political position for some benefit for the child. Could you perhaps explain this to me? Also, I believe the ‘Understanding’ clause would flow better were there to be a ‘the’ after the ‘on’.”

Edited accordingly. Clause 2 has been added to.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:02 am

So it seems to me that we've just gone back to Patients Rights Act?

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Caspian Settlement
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Caspian Settlement » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:49 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:So it seems to me that we've just gone back to Patients Rights Act?

How so?

This resolution may be submitted relatively soon, depending on the results of The Cloning Conventions.

Kranostav
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:10 pm

I don't understand the push to regulate medical procedures in the WA. This seems like an issue that would be much better handled by individual nations as species and medical norms vary. And most abuse would almost certainly be stopped by previous legislation.
Last edited by Kranostav on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Non-compliance is lame and you should feel bad
The meddling WA Kid of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

Caspian Settlement
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Caspian Settlement » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:44 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:So it seems to me that we've just gone back to Patients Rights Act?

If you're able to provide an elaboration, I'm still open to listening.
Kranostav wrote:I don't understand the push to regulate medical procedures in the WA. This seems like an issue that would be much better handled by individual nations as species and medical norms vary. And most abuse would almost certainly be stopped by previous legislation.

Unlike other medical procedures, psychosurgery differs in the potentially large effects it can have, especially on the mind of the patient, and therefore extra precautions should be taken.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:55 am

“Clause 6 should probably say ‘all reasonable’, ‘all sensible’ or something similar instead of just ‘all’, to avoid doctors having to try every single form of psychosurgery ever invented before using lobotomies.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly