NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT]National Firearm Safety Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:45 am

“A significant proportion of the citizens of Essu Beti rely on hunting,” says Inan. “Whether that be directly for food, or to defend livestock and people from encroaching crocodiles. This resolution would have drastic negative effects on our people. Against.”
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:54 am

Aclion wrote:"Molon labe"

Kenmoria wrote:OOC: Don’t do that; there are much better ways of showing your dissatisfaction with a bill than blantantly noncomplying with it.

Yep there are several clause that allow nation to maintain a right to bear arms. Just takes a bit of creative legislation. However this is entirely academic as this proposal is blatantly illegal.

(OOC: I’m presuming you mean contradiction with GA #399, clause 5. In which case, yes, this stops the proposal in its tracks unless the author can figure out what to do with it. Vichy Rich, I suggest either demonstrating how people with firearms pose an imminent threat of lawlessness, which could be very hard to accomplish, or just dropping this idea entirely.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:55 am

Still illegal.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Elyreia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 29, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Elyreia » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:35 pm

Vichy Rich wrote:
"To the rest, your failure to recognize the possession of firearms is dangerous in the hands of regular civilians, the threats they pose to the government is immense and should be restricted to follow the proposal!"

All Elyreian Citizens are drilled and trained during compulsory military service to learn how to operate a firearm, and all Citizens are reservists in the Elyreian Military.

We do not have "regular citizens" with whom firearm ownership would be dangerous.

We remain vehemently opposed, and I will be more than happy to return in my own military dress uniform if you require further proof of our commitment.
Last edited by Elyreia on Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Principality of Elyreia (Dārilarostegun Elyreia)
The Principality of Elyreia Wiki

World Assembly Ambassador: Dārilaros Korus Vaelans
Uncrowned Head of the House of Vaelans-Volaria
[he/him/she/her/they/them]
(Character Dossier)

Masurbia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Masurbia » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:44 pm

5. CLARIFIES that it is not unlawful to provide an individual with a firearm if they are Law Enforcement, Court Enforcement, Border Security, Airport Security, Military & Reserve Personnel, Personal Protection Squadrons, Professional Firearms Studies, Government Employed Security Officers

So what about Port security or Train Station security?

5. CLARIFIES that it is not unlawful to provide an individual with a firearm if they are Law Enforcement, Court Enforcement, Border Security, Airport Security, Military & Reserve Personnel, Personal Protection Squadrons, Professional Firearms Studies, Government Employed Security Officers

What makes law enforcement different from government employed security officers?
I see, therefore I am not blind.

Elyreia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 29, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Elyreia » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:52 pm

Masurbia wrote:What makes law enforcement different from government employed security officers?

The Elyreian Princely Guard are not law enforcement, but they may detain and apprehend criminals to the defense of the Princely House. Or perhaps contracted security forces which are privately owned but used by the state in lieu of law enforcement or guards? Maybe embassy contracted security forces?
The Principality of Elyreia (Dārilarostegun Elyreia)
The Principality of Elyreia Wiki

World Assembly Ambassador: Dārilaros Korus Vaelans
Uncrowned Head of the House of Vaelans-Volaria
[he/him/she/her/they/them]
(Character Dossier)

Masurbia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Masurbia » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:58 pm

Elyreia wrote:
Masurbia wrote:What makes law enforcement different from government employed security officers?

The Elyreian Princely Guard are not law enforcement, but they may detain and apprehend criminals to the defense of the Princely House. Or perhaps contracted security forces which are privately owned but used by the state in lieu of law enforcement or guards? Maybe embassy contracted security forces?

I feel like the clause could just be simplified to "It is not unlawful to provide an individual with a firearm if they are permitted by the government" Then there's not a whole list of who can and who can't obtain a firearm.
I see, therefore I am not blind.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:02 pm

Alexander Smith, Tinhamptonian Delegate-Ambassador to the World Assembly: Against. This does nothing to improve the safety of firearms, let alone the safety of bubblewrap salesmen. As Lydia would have reminded you, whackjobs with guns have executed the grand total of one terrorist attack and about ten mass shootings since she passed the Arms Deregulation Act that finally made self-defence a legitimate reason to arm oneself in 1993.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:11 pm

Are you crazy? Outlawing the personal use of firearms? Is that not illegal(and if it is, shouldn't it be)? This is a ridiculous plan, that will be dead on arrival. This isn't something a government trying to promote firearm safety would do, but something a tyrannical government would try to do. Also, keep your Marxist failures in your country. Don't try and impose it on us.
Last edited by Hatzisland on Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The world dies when freedom dies"
-A wise man(me)
Dedicated to repealing GAR #286 and GAR #457, as well as fighting the radical globalists in the WA.
Currently Inoffensive Centrist Democracy, which goes to show how flawed the naming system is.
Passed Biology knowing there are two genders, and passed History knowing conservatism works.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:11 pm

IC: "Against. Gun ownership in my country is a right; Who are you to try to circumvent our constitution in this manor?" the ambassador grumbles. "Crime in my country, or how we police it is none of your concern. Ban guns in your country if you want, but leave ours alone."

The American-Rhodesian Coalition
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The American-Rhodesian Coalition » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:38 pm

This resolution is absolutely ludicrous. This will do absolutely nothing to reduce crime because only law abiding citizens obey laws. Criminals don't obey laws.

The right to bear arms and the right to defend yourself and your livelihood is as much a God-given right as freedom of speech or freedom of religion. A proposal like this would simply be the beginning of the unraveling of democracy into totalitarianism. And the people will be powerless to stop it.
Last edited by The American-Rhodesian Coalition on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:56 pm

"Marginal deterrence doesn't exist" /s

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley