NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Restrictions on Youth Weaponization

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

[Draft] Restrictions on Youth Weaponization

Postby Morover » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:06 am

This is technically an amendment to this resolution. You can see my repeal to this resolution here.

Restrictions on Youth Weaponization

Category: Gun Control
Decision: Tighten

The World Assembly--

Aware that permission to keep firearms is a large part of some nations' cultures, and can serve as both protection and recreation.

Understanding that it is unreasonable to assume that children will be naturally adept at using firearms for either protection or recreation.

Aware that children do not have the same impulse control as adults, which may lead to the rapid emergence of a threat if provided with a weapon.

Concerned that, without restrictions, some children may be dangerous if given firearms.

Hereby,

• Defines that a "child" is any individual resident of a nation that is the threshold of majority for each individual nation.

• Defines an emergency, in the case of this resolution, as any situation that could bring immediate harm to one's wellbeing.

• States that, except in the case of an emergency, it is unlawful for a nation to allow an individual to supply a firearm to an untrained child, either intentionally or as a byproduct of negligence.

• Requires that those with children within the household must keep any firearms in a location secure from being taken by a child as a result of negligence.

• Clarifies that, with a proper education (which can be decided by each individual nation), and after approved by a government official, it is no longer unlawful for a child to have access to a gun.

• Clarifies that, if within a government-mandated area, a child can be permitted to use a firearm under the condition that it is for educational purposes, especially if the education is to increase the safety of children using firearms.

• Asserts that this resolution does not affect those over a nation's threshold of majority.

• Clarifying that these restrictions have no effect on whether or not a nation is legally allowed to supply its residents with firearms.

I kept in much of the original resolution (but changed the wording, after various people have brought up concerns of plagiarism), but edited the things that I believe were not complete and needed amendments. Currently, it's kinda worded weirdly, but I don't know how else to say it while still getting my point across, so any advice there would be appreciated.

This is also my first non-repeal proposal I have written, and I'm pretty sure I did everything right, but if I didn't, please let me know.

I also didn't know if I should use the same name as Resolution #235 ("Child Firearm Safety Act") or if I should come up with a new name, so I came up with a new name. If this is frowned upon, please let me know and I'll change it.
Last edited by Morover on Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 8 times in total.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:18 am

"Opposed. This is a national issue. Nobody in Moreover is affected if, say, C.D.S.P. children are armed to the teeth without training."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:23 am

Morover wrote:I kept in much of the original resolution, but edited the things that I believe were not complete and needed amendments. Currently, it's kinda worded weirdly, but I don't know how else to say it while still getting my point across, so any advice there would be appreciated.

All comments are OUT of character for this post.

Do not do that. You need to write your own resolution unless you have the original author's permission. Plagiarism is a very serious offense here. This seems especially pertinent as your definition of child seems to be word for word the same as GA 235.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:27 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Opposed. This is a national issue. Nobody in Moreover is affected if, say, C.D.S.P. children are armed to the teeth without training."

OOC: I can't help it, but something like this always comes to mind from the "armed to the teeth"... That's a Finnish soldier being funny, by the way. :P

(And this with references to American gun culture...)

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:your definition of child seems to be word for word the same as GA 235.

OOC: It's the same across a number of resolutions, so hardly plagiarism.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:32 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Opposed. This is a national issue. Nobody in Moreover is affected if, say, C.D.S.P. children are armed to the teeth without training."

If you don't mind me asking, are you opposed to the repeal in general, or just the specific wording of this new replacement resolution? If the former, then I mention that the current resolution also requires that children have an education in use of the firearms, and I only further clarified the issue at hand.

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:
Morover wrote:I kept in much of the original resolution, but edited the things that I believe were not complete and needed amendments. Currently, it's kinda worded weirdly, but I don't know how else to say it while still getting my point across, so any advice there would be appreciated.

All comments are OUT of character for this post.

Do not do that. You need to write your own resolution unless you have the original author's permission. Plagiarism is a very serious offense here. This seems especially pertinent as your definition of child seems to be word for word the same as GA 235.

Oh, my bad. I thought that the original author of the resolution would have wanted me to keep in as much of the resolution as I feel is written well. I will change the plagiarised portions to use my own words, but keep the same concepts in it.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:36 am

Morover wrote:I will change the plagiarised portions to use my own words, but keep the same concepts in it.

OOC: It's still plagiarism even if you change the wording a bit.

In your repeal thread you basically argued that the existing resolution isn't good enough. So if it's not good enough, why would you want to copy it? Write a better one.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:38 am

Morover wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, are you opposed to the repeal in general, or just the specific wording of this new replacement resolution? If the former, then I mention that the current resolution also requires that children have an education in use of the firearms, and I only further clarified the issue at hand.

"I support a repeal and oppose any replacement."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:39 am

"Opposed. The Haven, for one, does not recognise an age of majority. Secondly, citizens begin education in the usage of firearms from a very early age, generally between 5 and 7."
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:40 am

Araraukar wrote:
Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:your definition of child seems to be word for word the same as GA 235.

That was meant as an example, more than enough on its own. I did not read much beyond Morover stating they kept much of the original resolution. Regardless, I will attempt to pay a little more attention later (from my perspective it is nearly 1am) and make an attempt at offering something a bit more constructive than "rewrite everything". My apologies to Morover for not being more eloquent at current.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:41 am

OOC
Am I the only person here who reads the title as being about turning youths into weapons?
^_^
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:43 am

Araraukar wrote:
Morover wrote:I will change the plagiarised portions to use my own words, but keep the same concepts in it.

OOC: It's still plagiarism even if you change the wording a bit.

In your repeal thread you basically argued that the existing resolution isn't good enough. So if it's not good enough, why would you want to copy it? Write a better one.

In my repeal thread, I believe I argued that aspects of the existing resolution weren't exactly ideal in my opinion. As the only way to amend a resolution is to repeal and then resubmit, I believe that keeping some of the core concepts intact (otherwise it wouldn't necessarily be an amendment) is necessary. As far as I know, this is the only way to do this, but if I am mistaken, please correct me.

I certainly believe that the existing resolution is in good intent, I simply believe that there must be exceptions made (which I clarified in this proposal), as well as some clarifications made (which I also made in this proposal). Is there any way to use the same ideas as prior legislation without it being seen as plagiarism?
Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:
Araraukar wrote:

That was meant as an example, more than enough on its own. I did not read much beyond Morover stating they kept much of the original resolution. Regardless, I will attempt to pay a little more attention later (from my perspective it is nearly 1am) and make an attempt at offering something a bit more constructive than "rewrite everything". My apologies to Morover for not being more eloquent at current.

As I said above, I believe that some of the core concepts of the idea are essential to keep, but I do not know how to make it "not plagiarised," if I'm being honest.

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:"Opposed. The Haven, for one, does not recognise an age of majority. Secondly, citizens begin education in the usage of firearms from a very early age, generally between 5 and 7."

While I'm not entirely sure of the implications of not recognizing an age of majority, this resolution shouldn't necessarily effect your nation in that regard, as it only clarifies clauses from the original, as well as adding several exceptions.
Last edited by Morover on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:50 am

Morover wrote:Is there any way to use the same ideas as prior legislation without it being seen as plagiarism?

OOC: It basically has to be entirely new phrasing, which can be difficult. That's one reason why repeal-replacement of basically good resolutions can be hard.

Instead of the current wording of the Asserts clause, you should specify "Nothing in this resolution concerns those over the age of majority", rather than basically saying nations can't place any restrictions on adult gun ownership.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:52 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:"Opposed. The Haven, for one, does not recognise an age of majority. Secondly, citizens begin education in the usage of firearms from a very early age, generally between 5 and 7."

OOC
Check GA Resolution #299.
"does not recognise an age of majority" effectively = "everybody is considered legally competent as soon as they're born", with obvious consequences...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:53 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC
"does not recognise an age of majority" effectively = "everybody is considered legally competent as soon as they're born", with obvious consequences...

OOC: To be fair, there's nothing stopping a nation from doing that, though I can't imagine why it wouldn't be absolute chaos.

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:11 am

Araraukar wrote:

OOC: To be fair, there's nothing stopping a nation from doing that, though I can't imagine why it wouldn't be absolute chaos.

ooc: case in point, the Free Kingdom
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:38 am

Araraukar wrote:
Morover wrote:Is there any way to use the same ideas as prior legislation without it being seen as plagiarism?

OOC: It basically has to be entirely new phrasing, which can be difficult. That's one reason why repeal-replacement of basically good resolutions can be hard.

Instead of the current wording of the Asserts clause, you should specify "Nothing in this resolution concerns those over the age of majority", rather than basically saying nations can't place any restrictions on adult gun ownership.

I will go clause by clause in my resolution and the original and why I feel each has it's own unique phrasing (after further editing it).

Child Firearm Safety Act wrote:AWARE that many nations permit and/or encourage their citizens to keep firearms for various lawful purposes, including sport and family protection;

Restrictions on Youth Weaponization wrote:Aware that permission to keep firearms is an essential part of some nations, for either protection or recreation.

In mine, I broadened the use of the word "protection," whereas in the original, it was specified as protection for the family. While sport and recreation are essentially synonyms, it is a slight difference. In the original, it states that some nations permit their citizens to own firearms, but in mine, I mention how it is essential for some nations, as they build their national identity over the use of firearms.
Child Firearm Safety Act wrote:ALSO AWARE that firearms create a risk of serious injury and death not only for home invaders but for family members as well;

Restrictions on Youth Weaponization wrote:Understanding that it is unreasonable to assume that children will be naturally adept at using firearms for either protection or recreation.

In the original, it states examples of what could happen, should an inexperienced child have access to firearms. I felt this was too exact for a WA Resolution, so I broadened it to make it address the bigger issue.
Child Firearm Safety Act wrote:WORRIED that children, because of their youth and inexperience, are particularly susceptible to the risk of serious injury and death posed by firearms;

CONVINCED that many of the risks to children posed by firearms could be reduced by simple safety measures;

Restrictions on Youth Weaponization wrote:Concerned that, without restrictions, some children may be dangerous if given firearms.

I felt that the original was too drawn out, so I attempted to condense the two concerns that the original had into one.
Child Firearm Safety Act wrote:RESOLVED that member nations have an obligation to ensure that children are protected from the risks posed by firearms kept in their home;

I left this out of mine, because I felt it was covered by the original, but was also partially self-explanatory by the submission of the resolution.
Child Firearm Safety Act wrote:DEFINES a "child" for the purposes of this Act as "any individual under the national threshold of majority, or equivalent;"

Restrictions on Youth Weaponization wrote:Defines that a "child" is any individual resident of a nation that is under the threshold of majority for each individual nation.

While these are very similar, I don't know how to further differentiate mine from the original resolution, if I'm being honest.
Child Firearm Safety Act wrote:DECLARES that it is unlawful for an individual to intentionally provide a firearm to a child, or to negligently allow a child to access a firearm;

Restrictions on Youth Weaponization wrote:States that, except in the case of an emergency, it is unlawful for a nation to allow an individual to supply a firearm to an untrained child, either intentionally or as a byproduct of negligence.

The most notable difference here is the inclusion of the exception in the case of an emergency in mine, which I felt was a notable exclusion in the original. In my opinion, the only thing you could argue is the same phrasing in this is my inclusion of the "intentionally or as a byproduct of negligence," but I do feel that this an essential concept of the resolution, and I feel I worded it differently enough for it to be considered unique.
Restrictions on Youth Weaponization wrote:Defines an emergency, in the case of this resolution, as any situation that could bring immediate harm to one's wellbeing.

This is unique to mine, but the original did not mention an emergency, so it did not need to be in it.
Child Firearm Safety Act wrote:REQUIRES that any firearm kept or stored in the home of a child be secured in a reasonable manner to eliminate the risk of injury or death to the child;

I did not include this in mine, because I felt that mentioning that if an untrained child got a hold of a weapon due to the negligence of an adult made this redundant.
Child Firearm Safety Act wrote:CLARIFIES that notwithstanding the above provisions, it is not unlawful under this Act to provide a firearm to a child (or allow a child to access a firearm) if that child has received an education in firearm safety and proper use, and has demonstrated knowledge thereof;

Restrictions on Youth Weaponization wrote:Clarifies that, with a proper education, and after approved by a government official, it is no longer unlawful for a child to have access to a gun.

While this is a very similar concept, I do specify the exact circumstances in which a child may be granted a firearm, and that is by being approved by a government official. I feel that the original was very vague, without giving actual qualifications for a child to receive a firearm, beyond "education." This could be abused to be either a 5-minute training session or a 30-day course. While this is still a possibility with my draft, I also made it so that a government must approve giving a gun to the child, which would encourage nation-wide standardization of education requirements.
Child Firearm Safety Act wrote:CLARIFIES that notwithstanding the above provisions, it is not unlawful under this Act to provide a firearm to a child under proper supervision for the purposes of educating the child in firearm safety and proper use;

Restrictions on Youth Weaponization wrote:Clarifies that, if within a government-mandated area, a child is permitted to use a firearm under the condition that it is for educational purposes, especially if the education is to increase the safety of children using firearms.

The original allowed for abuse of the resolution by allowing individuals to claim that "experience is education," thus negating almost the entire resolution (I also state in my repeal thread that it is near-impossible to enforce). Mine clarifies where training can happen, even if it is a bit more restricting.
Child Firearm Safety Act wrote:MANDATES that an individual who lives in the same home as a child, or who may regularly encounter a child, must demonstrate knowledge of proper firearm use and safety before acquiring a firearm; especially, knowledge of how to reduce the risk posed by a firearm to the health and safety of children;

I left this out of my resolution because, if the nation believes that those of the threshold of majority are free to get guns with or without training, this restricts those adults, which is not the intention of the resolution (as far as I'm aware).
Restrictions on Youth Weaponization wrote:Asserts that this resolution does not affect those over a nation's threshold of majority.

This merely clarifies that it does not affect those over the theshold of majority.
Child Firearm Safety Act wrote:AFFIRMS that nothing in this Act affects the ability of member nations to legalize or prohibit firearm ownership through national or international law.

Restrictions on Youth Weaponization wrote:Clarifying that these restrictions have no effect on whether or not a nation is legally allowed to supply its residents with firearms.

While these are essentially saying the same thing, it is important to include, and I feel the phrasing is different enough to be acceptable.

As you can see, the phrasing is rather different, with some similar repeated words that could not otherwise be avoided (such as "Clarifying" and "firearms"). It's still up to you to decide whether or not it's "plagiarism," but I think, for the most part, the phrasing is different enough. Let me know if any of my logic here is flawed, because that is certainly a possibility.
Last edited by Morover on Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:12 am

“I’ve put a few comments in red.”

The World Assembly--

Aware that permission to keep firearms is an essential part of some nations, for either protection or recreation. I’m not sure ‘essential part of some nations’ is the correct wording here. Perhaps ‘part of some cultures’ or something similar would be more appropriate.

Understanding that it is unreasonable to assume that children will be naturally adept at using firearms for either protection or recreation.

Concerned that, without restrictions, some children may be dangerous if given firearms. Some children? I believe almost all children are not to be trusted with guns, especially very young ones.

Hereby,

• Defines that a "child" is any individual resident of a nation that is under the threshold of majority for each individual nation. The way this is worded, a child has to be under the age of majority for all nations, which, as the ambassador from the Haven Kingdom has pointed out, wouldn’t work for some. I think you mean ‘the threshold of majority for that nation’ instead.
  • States that, except in the case of an emergency, it is unlawful for a nation to allow an individual to supply a firearm to an untrained child, either intentionally or as a byproduct of negligence. Under what possible scenario would an individual need to supply a firearm to an untrained child?
  • Defines an emergency, in the case of this resolution, as any situation that could bring immediate harm to one's wellbeing. Definitions should be at the start of the active clauses, right beneath the ‘hereby’.
  • Clarifies that, with a proper education, and after approved by a government official, it is no longer unlawful for a child to have access to a gun. What defines a proper education?
  • Clarifies that, if within a government-mandated area, a child is permitted to use a firearm under the condition that it is for educational purposes, especially if the education is to increase the safety of children using firearms. I believe ‘a child can be permitted’ rather than ‘a child is permitted’.
  • Asserts that this resolution does not affect those over a nation's threshold of majority. I don’t believe this clarification clause is necessary.
  • Clarifying that these restrictions have no effect on whether or not a nation is legally allowed to supply its residents with firearms.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:51 am

Kenmoria wrote:“I’ve put a few comments in red.”

The World Assembly--

Aware that permission to keep firearms is an essential part of some nations, for either protection or recreation. I’m not sure ‘essential part of some nations’ is the correct wording here. Perhaps ‘part of some cultures’ or something similar would be more appropriate.

Concerned that, without restrictions, some children may be dangerous if given firearms. Some children? I believe almost all children are not to be trusted with guns, especially very young ones.

Hereby,

• Defines that a "child" is any individual resident of a nation that is under the threshold of majority for each individual nation. The way this is worded, a child has to be under the age of majority for all nations, which, as the ambassador from the Haven Kingdom has pointed out, wouldn’t work for some. I think you mean ‘the threshold of majority for that nation’ instead.
  • States that, except in the case of an emergency, it is unlawful for a nation to allow an individual to supply a firearm to an untrained child, either intentionally or as a byproduct of negligence. Under what possible scenario would an individual need to supply a firearm to an untrained child?
  • Defines an emergency, in the case of this resolution, as any situation that could bring immediate harm to one's wellbeing. Definitions should be at the start of the active clauses, right beneath the ‘hereby’.
  • Clarifies that, with a proper education, and after approved by a government official, it is no longer unlawful for a child to have access to a gun. What defines a proper education?
  • Clarifies that, if within a government-mandated area, a child is permitted to use a firearm under the condition that it is for educational purposes, especially if the education is to increase the safety of children using firearms. I believe ‘a child can be permitted’ rather than ‘a child is permitted’.
  • Asserts that this resolution does not affect those over a nation's threshold of majority. I don’t believe this clarification clause is necessary.

I'll address your comments one by one.

Firstly, I agree with you about the word saying "essential part of some nations," and I will change that as soon as possible.

Next, I said "some" children because I believe that if I said "all" children, then it would imply that, even with the proper training, they would be untrustworthy with a firearm. While I agree that "some" is not the best term, I do not know what other term would be appropriate here.

I believed the way I put it to be correct, but I also don't know enough about the wording to refute it, so I will change that right away.

As for possible scenarios, like I defined an emergency as a "situation that could bring immediate harm to one's wellbeing," so any situation that could harm the child or anybody else would be classified as appropriate. For example, if an armed intruder broke into the home of a family, and only an incapacitated adult was home with the child, then the adult could tell the child where they keep a firearm in order to have the child defend the home

I was not aware that definitions go strictly at the beginning of active clauses, I will move that there right away.

I believe that it is up to the government to decide what counts as "proper education." Is there any way to clarify that further within the resolution? (also, just for clarification, the original resolution reads to me like it's the individual who comes up with what a proper education constitutes, not the government).

That makes sense. I'll change that.

Personally, I believe that the final clarification is necessary, so I'll probably keep that part (unless I get more support for removing it).

Thanks for the feedback!
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Falcania
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:56 am

Am I the only person here who reads the title as being about turning youths into weapons?
^_^

glad I wasn't the only one
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:43 pm

I'd argue that most of this replacement plagiarizes the resolution it intends to replace. Many of your clauses are obviously just reworded versions of the clauses of the repeal target. The two unique additions to this replacement are the exception for emergencies and the additional requirements upon educating children to use firearms.

On your fifth active clause, I must ask why firearms education must take place within a "government-mandated area" instead of at any location safe and designed for firearms practice.

I must also question why this eliminates the provision for the safe storage of any firearm in a residence with children and the requirement that individuals living with children must demonstrate knowledge of proper firearm safety and responsibility in order to acquire firearms.

Overall, I really don't see the need for a repeal + replace here.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:19 pm

You will have a very hard time replacing this without running afoul of Responsibility In Transferring Arms. You need to demonstrate that people below the age of majority are "individuals that pose a danger of performing imminent lawless action."
^_^

Yeah. I was expecting a child soldiers ban.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:49 pm

^_^

Nope, that was my first thought too.
Ambassador Ariela Galadriel Maria Mirase
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:34 pm

"I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why this is an issue of international import."

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:47 pm

Bears Armed wrote:

OOC

((OOC: I know it doesn't make sense. The Haven generally doesn't.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Falcania
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:38 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why this is an issue of international import."

"Aha! I knew the National Sovereignty argument wasn't dead, it's merely developed a code-name!"

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly