NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] LAWS Monitoring Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:43 am

Danlina wrote:KNOWING that one of the advancements a nation can make in technology is Artificial Intelligence, and that technologies such as this are used in Lethal Autonomous Weapon Systems (LAWSs).

OOC: This needs to be in the active clauses as a definition, not in the preamble. Also, artificial intelligence refers to human-grade-or-higher intelligence, so think of a different wording, given you're specifically not talking about those.

RECOGNIZING the immorality embedded in giving a machine full responsibility over life and death situations on the battlefield.

This is also irrelevant, given you're not doing that.

BELIEVING that there should always be some degree of sapient intervention in offensive weapons systems.

Hence mentioning AIs in the first preamble clause is a bad idea and confuses everyone.

RESOLVING that there should be international monitoring and restrictions set on LAWSs.

Why?

On this matter, the GA thus declares that, except as limited by earlier resolutions that are still in place:

Start the whole proposal with "The World Assembly" or "The General Assembly", and replace this line with "Hereby, [excemption goes here]".

LAWSs are defined as weapons systems that operate independently from their sapient users while being used and are programmed to engage in lethal tactics.

Spell out the full words - basically move the thing from preamble to here. Also, if they're fully automated, they don't really have "users" as such, now do they? Deployers, maybe?

The World Assembly mandates boycotting the manufacturing of and use of offensive LAWSs on the battlefield to all of its members.

You still haven't explained what makes them so bad that they would need to be banned. Also, if you're allowing their use defensively, why are you requiring "boycotting the manufacturing of"? And why boycotting? Why not just banning?

The World Assembly mandates that to be manufactured, sold, bought, transferred and used by its members, a LAWS must have the following qualities:
  1. Can explain their reasoning and decisions to sapient operators in transparent and understandable ways.
  2. Have responsible sapient operators who are clearly identifiable.
  3. Have autonomous functions that are predictable to their operators.
  4. Be manufactured for defensive purposes and used solely by defensive units.
  5. Fit into previous laws of humane weaponry.

But their manufacture must still be boycotted? Also, if you've got a battlefield, and you put an "automated machine gun" (your choice of example!) there to defend your own people, and move it forward as you advance, is it still defensive use? And do aerial drones carrying missiles count? You say in the thread that guided missiles don't count, but I'm not seeing anything here that would make them not count. Especially as missiles are hardly either humane or defensive use items.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:38 am

“Clause 3 is rather broad in terms of banning a LAWS from being ‘manufactured, sold, bought, transferred and used’ without any quantifiers. What about manufacturing one for educational reasons to show what isn’t allowed? How about transferring a LAWS that breaks the rules to a waste disposal facility? What of transferring a LAWS into a non-member nation where it may be used?”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Danlina
Envoy

Founded: Jan 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Danlina » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:08 am

Will it fix the problem if I abandon the word “transferred”?
Republic of Danlina

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:16 am

Danlina wrote:Will it fix the problem if I abandon the word “transferred”?

(OOC: I think restricting it to only banning the usage, as opposed to anything else, of LAWSs would fix it, since one can’t really do any damage with a LAWS without its usage.)
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:03 pm

OOC: And please remove or spoiler the massive picture from the first post.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:19 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: And please remove or spoiler the massive picture from the first post.

OOC:Or resize it if possible to a size that is minuscule.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Widowed Land
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Widowed Land » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:49 pm

Danlina wrote:I’m just trying out a winning MUN legislation of mine to see if this game is even suitable for practicing diplomacy.

OOC: hah ^_^ I did the same(not 100% copy of MUN resolution, but some clauses were copied) But nobody liked it so I had to rewrite it...

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:59 am

“I find your ‘recognising’ clause to have rather meandering logic. What exactly is so bad about giving a machine control over life and death decisions? Surely it is better than embodying the responsibility in something fallible? The clause also ignores the multitude of AI nations.”
Last edited by Kenmoria on Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are he/him.

Danlina
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Danlina » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:11 am

So I tweaked the wording and added Danlina’s reasoning to believe offensive LAWSs should be banned. Any other arguments or problems I should take into account?
Republic of Danlina

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:35 pm

Danlina wrote:Any other arguments or problems I should take into account?

OOC: You're still mentioning AIs as being a problem, despite what you want to legislate having nothing to do with AIs or even machine learning.

Danlina
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Danlina » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:52 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Danlina wrote:Any other arguments or problems I should take into account?

OOC: You're still mentioning AIs as being a problem, despite what you want to legislate having nothing to do with AIs or even machine learning.

Where did I say that AIs themselves are the problem? I said that the use of non-sentient AIs in weapons systems is the problem.
Republic of Danlina

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:58 am

“Also, please put line breaks between your active clauses, to aid clarity.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:29 am

Danlina wrote:I said that the use of non-sentient AIs in weapons systems is the problem.

OOC: Artificial Intelligence =/= non-sentient, even the way it's understood in Real Life.

Also your definitions don't fit the way that "artificial intelligence" (which encompasses sentience and machine learning, which means the program(s) take data from the external stimuli and react to it independently, and learn to get better at it) is usually meant. I think yours would be closer to "smart programs" (which are only smart the way smartphones are smarter than normal phones). And the way you define the "allowed systems" later in the proposal, they don't really fit your own definition.

Danlina
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Danlina » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:55 am

Araraukar wrote:
Danlina wrote:I said that the use of non-sentient AIs in weapons systems is the problem.

OOC: Artificial Intelligence =/= non-sentient, even the way it's understood in Real Life.

Also your definitions don't fit the way that "artificial intelligence" (which encompasses sentience and machine learning, which means the program(s) take data from the external stimuli and react to it independently, and learn to get better at it) is usually meant. I think yours would be closer to "smart programs" (which are only smart the way smartphones are smarter than normal phones). And the way you define the "allowed systems" later in the proposal, they don't really fit your own definition.

I am sorry, I thought it was clear what a sentient AI is in contrast to a MT AI: Sentience in a machine is determined by the presence of self-awareness and if it passes the Turing test. In other words, in MT and usually even PMT sentient AI is non-existent, and in FT it exists alongside non-sentient AI. This means it is possible to ban LAWSs without hurting any national laws that give sentient machines equal rights because the technology used in LAWSs isn't sentient.
Republic of Danlina

The First German Order
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:48 am

“The Order is completely against this proposal. We do not use unmanned but operated combat units on the battlefield, but rather we use unmanned semi-sentient combat robots. As such, this proposal in its current state would require that we either risk using human combatants or spend possibly billions to modify ALL of our current combat automatons to be controlled by operators AND enlist who knows how many individuals to operate said robots. And, contrary to what was previously stated in response to a fellow representative, our robots are prefectly capable of identifying a surrendered combatant.”
Danlina wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Artificial Intelligence =/= non-sentient, even the way it's understood in Real Life.

I am sorry, I thought it was clear what a sentient AI is in contrast to a MT AI: Sentience in a machine is determined by the presence of self-awareness and if it passes the Turing test. In other words, in MT and usually even PMT sentient AI is non-existent, and in FT it exists alongside non-sentient AI. This means it is possible to ban LAWSs without hurting any national laws that give sentient machines equal rights because the technology used in LAWSs isn't sentient.

OOC: Uh. My sir, I’m pretty sure that the Turing Test is for sapience, not sentience.
Last edited by The First German Order on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
”Nuclear strikes do not damage the phone network. The atom respects your right to a final call.” - Dumb Ideologies

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:34 pm

The First German Order wrote:OOC: Uh. My sir, I’m pretty sure that the Turing Test is for sapience, not sentience.

OOC: ^This.

I know that outside of specific contexts like this, "sentience" and "sapience" are used as synonyms, but it's incorrect usage (even outside of here).

In Real Life a regular cat or dog is sentient. As is a salmon. As, arguably, is a daisy as well. Or a butterfly.

In Real Life, humans and other apes, dolphins, elephants and some birds are sapient in addition to being sentient.

In Real Life, "sentience" is not used about artificial intelligence, whether or not talking about existing sentient programs or about hypothetical sapient ones.

In Real Life, machine learning is a complex thing, but there already are programs that would fit the sentience definitions, and robots using them, that definitely exhibit sentience.

So while the proposal's current language excludes sapient AIs, any kind of automated weapons system would pretty much by definition be sentient. Otherwise how could it react to target things and shoot at them?

Also, this is still unaddressed:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"By removing offensive automated weapons, you force manned weapons to take their place, which increases the risk to life and limb. That is most unwanted, especially since the underlying premise of your proposal makes indirect fire from artillery just as immoral as a hunter-killer drone. And that is assuming that morality should have anything to do with it."

As are these:
Araraukar wrote:So I'm really struggling to understand how the "can explain their reasoning and decisions" wouldn't fall under sapient AIs, unless "reasoning" has a different meaning from the usual one.
Araraukar wrote:Again, you're using "explain their reasoning and decisions" in a way that the words are not normally meant. Spell out your actual meaning rather than making it appear the weapons need to be able to talk or be sapient themselves.
Last edited by Araraukar on Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly