NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal GA #454 Debtor Voting Rights

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Repeal GA #454 Debtor Voting Rights

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:02 am

I am not saying I am against the idea - just that there are far too many possible loopholes. I want to repeal it, and then work with IA to maybe address a couple of the issues it has. :blush:

General Assembly Resolution #454 “Debtor Voting Rights” (Category: Furtherment of Democracy; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The General Assembly,

Acknowledging the efforts of GA Resolution #454 to prevent debts from inhibiting a citizen's right to vote,

Understanding though brevity is important in many cases, the extreme it was brought to in this resolution was counter productive,

Seeing numerous loopholes in the resolutions that more cruel states could employ, such as, but not limited to:

• Criminalizing outstanding debt under specific conditions to imprison the individual for the duration of the voting,

• Making outstanding debt punishable by law through a choice of forfeiture of voting rights or imprisonment,

• Passing legislation revoking the citizenship of a citizen, and thus their right to vote if they are indebted,

Understanding that the rights of those living in autocratic nations in regards to their political rights are not addressed,

Noticing the resolution does not specify on what debtors can not be stripped of the right to vote on,

Seeing that such a loosely worded clause is open to exploitation,

Believing the World Assembly Delegation of the nation which passed the legislation could write a more conclusive piece of legislation for this issue,

Hoping that member nations will create thoughtful and articulate legislation with regards to unforeseen consequences and in consideration to the variety of member states' cultural normalities on this issue,

Wishes that in the period the legislation is active its loopholes will not be exploited at the expense of the citizenry of nations across the multiverse,

Hereby repeals GA Resolution #454.

Co-authored by Elyreia

As of now it is still in drafting, I did this pretty late at night. Ideas?

I.A. please make it a little longer - I really don't want a piece of legislation this fundamental to be easily loopholed.

Seriously though - please don't hate me I.A. I really don't want to get you on my bad side... you are an amazing GA Author - I look up to you.
Last edited by Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar on Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Author of GA #455
Favourite Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9iYAsoX5t8
Aspiring Issue Author (6-times-failed)
Ban Abortion!

"A person's a person, no matter how small."

Choose love over death!

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:58 am

“I appreciate that this is a work in progress, but your reasoning behind your current only objection doesn’t seem to work. If member nations may not invoke debt as a reason to prevent people from voting, then invoking that because of prison as a result of debt seems as though it would also be prohibited.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:29 pm

“I disagree, ambassador. Though this resolution protects voters in debt, nowhere does it protect voters in prison, regardless of why they're in prison.”
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:42 pm

"Would a seperate resolution detailing the rights of nations to allow and disallow voting rights in regards to criminal convictions or imprisonment not suffice? I don't see a need to repeal the legislation at vote."
Ambassador Ariela Galadriel Maria Mirase
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:49 pm

“Agreed.”
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Dirty Americans
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dirty Americans » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:03 pm

tl;dr
Dirty Americans of The East Pacific
Member of the Tzorsland Puppet Federation
Mike Rowe, Leader / John Henry, Ambassador
Bill Nye Science Guy / Rosie O'Donnel Social Warrior/ Michelle Obama Food Expert

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:05 pm

Arasi Luvasa wrote:"Would a seperate resolution detailing the rights of nations to allow and disallow voting rights in regards to criminal convictions or imprisonment not suffice? I don't see a need to repeal the legislation at vote."

All of this legislation takes it as read that every constituent member of the World Assembly is, or should be, a democracy. While we in the Free Kingdom engage in regular votes, for example, it wouldn't be accurate to describe our governance as a democracy in the conventional sense of the term. We understand that our system works for us; we wouldn't attempt to force it on another nation, and in return we wouldn't want to have another system forced upon us.
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:18 pm

"If a nation does not hold votes, the legislation simply doesn't affect said nation. It does not impose votes onto forms of government which simply do not have votes at all."
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:02 pm

Uh, telling me something OOC would be great, because I have no idea what is going on.

However, I need to update this draft.

The reason a repeal is necessary is because no other resolution will be able to pass on this topic to patch the loopholes while it is active legislation. We can’t patch these loopholes while it is active.
Author of GA #455
Ban Abortion!

Choose love over death!

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:11 pm

Jutsa wrote:“I disagree, ambassador. Though this resolution protects voters in debt, nowhere does it protect voters in prison, regardless of why they're in prison.”

Can confirm. Voting Equality for Freed Inmates prohibits WA legislation that does as much.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:37 pm

Okay! Updated! Thoughts now?
Author of GA #455
Ban Abortion!

Choose love over death!

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:08 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:
Jutsa wrote:“I disagree, ambassador. Though this resolution protects voters in debt, nowhere does it protect voters in prison, regardless of why they're in prison.”

Can confirm. Voting Equality for Freed Inmates prohibits WA legislation that does as much.

If the issue exists with allowing only certain inmates the vote, then I doubt a repeal of the resolution in question could change that issue.

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:Uh, telling me something OOC would be great, because I have no idea what is going on.

The reason a repeal is necessary is because no other resolution will be able to pass on this topic to patch the loopholes while it is active legislation. We can’t patch these loopholes while it is active.

Anyway separate legislation could be created to either allow those imprisoned for debt to vote or to prevent the imprisonment of debtors in some form (or during certain periods). How exactly it would work would be up to you to work out.

Durzan
Envoy

Founded: Dec 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Durzan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:38 pm

Arasi Luvasa wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:Can confirm. Voting Equality for Freed Inmates prohibits WA legislation that does as much.

If the issue exists with allowing only certain inmates the vote, then I doubt a repeal of the resolution in question could change that issue.

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:Uh, telling me something OOC would be great, because I have no idea what is going on.

Anyway separate legislation could be created to either allow those imprisoned for debt to vote or to prevent the imprisonment of debtors in some form (or during certain periods). How exactly it would work would be up to you to work out.

"Better to have it all in one place, and in one piece of legislation, Ambassador."
Come at me Bro.

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:41 am

Arasi Luvasa wrote:"If a nation does not hold votes, the legislation simply doesn't affect said nation. It does not impose votes onto forms of government which simply do not have votes at all."

The Free Kingdom functions on a largely corporate authority, where each citizen votes according to their status as shareholders, on the decisions faced by the corporations they hold a stake in, on issues ranging from basic corporate policy all the way up to the governance of the nation. Given the way that voting equity is purchased share-by-share on the open market, and that each corporate entity that trades publicly is entitled to divide its shares as it sees fit, including the financial status of its stakeholders, legislation from the General Assembly that prohibits or protects voters' rights based on financial standards would impose a cultural standard on the citizens of the Free Kingdom that they could very well find intolerable.
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:55 am

Durzan wrote:
Arasi Luvasa wrote:If the issue exists with allowing only certain inmates the vote, then I doubt a repeal of the resolution in question could change that issue.

"Better to have it all in one place, and in one piece of legislation, Ambassador."

"So that it is more easily repealed? Or too not create too big a list of resolutions, which point we are already far past? I see no real benefit in having everything in a single resolution, especially if it can lead to more pieces of legislation that I do not need to look over for lengthy periods of time."

West Edenvi
Civilian

Founded: Jan 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Repeal of a resolution

Postby West Edenvi » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:01 am

We think I will repeal it when the opportunity opens. For our country it's a big loophole. We should not pass this kind of resolutions. >:( :!:

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:14 pm

West Edenvi wrote:We think I will repeal it when the opportunity opens. For our country it's a big loophole. We should not pass this kind of resolutions. >:( :!:

Would you care to help me?
Author of GA #455
Ban Abortion!

Choose love over death!

Elyreia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 29, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Elyreia » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:40 pm

"We're in agreement that the current legislation is atrocious when it comes to performing the tasks required. Not only does it create a number of issues of precedence and procedure (if a criminal is in debt due to reparations of other crimes, would the WA legislature overrule the criminal having their suffrage revoked due to the WA Proposal having precedence over all other local laws that may revoke the right to vote for other crimes?) as well as not even accounting to those nations that have no voting rights to begin with, or even a method or means by which to enforce or even monitor such wide-reaching legislation.

"As such, Elyreia is also working on a draft proposal to repeal the current legislation when it passes. Our current draft:"

Acknowledging the varied nation states and their governments in the World Assembly, including their institutions either hindering, protecting, or promoting the right of citizenry to vote in their respective governments.

Concerned at the far-reaching consequences of the legislation passed regarding the voting rights of incarcerated persons, including but not necessarily limited to the initial proposal.

Noting that the proposal includes no provisions by which to enforce itself on those member-states that are adherent and affected by the proposal.

Disturbed at the potential consequences the proposal may have on governments that do not acknowledge the voting rights of incarcerated persons regardless of crime or financial status.

Appalled at the verbosity, or lack thereof, within the proposal that was enacted.

Understanding that in many democratic nations, the rights to suffrage are often recognized as universal across all social and economic strata.

Resolving to repeal the previous legislation in order to address the concerns of both democratic and autocratic nations.

Promising that should the previous legislation be repealed, the government proposing the repeal will bring forth a motion of a proper proposal regarding Debtor rights for World Assembly nations taking into consideration our varied cultures and societies in no longer than 7 days time.

The World Assembly hereby repeals "Debtor Voting Rights".

"We accept any and all criticism or recommendations and welcome our colleagues from Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar to a collaborative effort and joint resolution."
The Principality of Elyreia (Dārilarostegun Elyreia)
The Principality of Elyreia Wiki

World Assembly Ambassador: Dārilaros Korus Vaelans
Uncrowned Head of the House of Vaelans-Volaria
[he/him/she/her/they/them]
(Character Dossier)

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:50 pm

Elyreia wrote:"We're in agreement that the current legislation is atrocious when it comes to performing the tasks required. Not only does it create a number of issues of precedence and procedure (if a criminal is in debt due to reparations of other crimes, would the WA legislature overrule the criminal having their suffrage revoked due to the WA Proposal having precedence over all other local laws that may revoke the right to vote for other crimes?) as well as not even accounting to those nations that have no voting rights to begin with, or even a method or means by which to enforce or even monitor such wide-reaching legislation.

"As such, Elyreia is also working on a draft proposal to repeal the current legislation when it passes. Our current draft:"

Acknowledging the varied nation states and their governments in the World Assembly, including their institutions either hindering, protecting, or promoting the right of citizenry to vote in their respective governments.

Concerned at the far-reaching consequences of the legislation passed regarding the voting rights of incarcerated persons, including but not necessarily limited to the initial proposal.

Noting that the proposal includes no provisions by which to enforce itself on those member-states that are adherent and affected by the proposal.

Disturbed at the potential consequences the proposal may have on governments that do not acknowledge the voting rights of incarcerated persons regardless of crime or financial status.

Appalled at the verbosity, or lack thereof, within the proposal that was enacted.

Understanding that in many democratic nations, the rights to suffrage are often recognized as universal across all social and economic strata.

Resolving to repeal the previous legislation in order to address the concerns of both democratic and autocratic nations.

Promising that should the previous legislation be repealed, the government proposing the repeal will bring forth a motion of a proper proposal regarding Debtor rights for World Assembly nations taking into consideration our varied cultures and societies in no longer than 7 days time.

The World Assembly hereby repeals "Debtor Voting Rights".

"We accept any and all criticism or recommendations and welcome our colleagues from Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar to a collaborative effort and joint resolution."

Fantastic! A lot of these points are solid - you are being credited as an author, and really, these points will add a lot to the draft!

Yay for teamwork!

As for critisism, I will get back to you on that soon, but for now, I think the final clause is illegal.
Author of GA #455
Ban Abortion!

Choose love over death!

Elyreia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 29, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Elyreia » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:59 pm

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:Fantastic! A lot of these points are solid - you are being credited as an author, and really, these points will add a lot to the draft!

Yay for teamwork!

As for critisism, I will get back to you on that soon, but for now, I think the final clause is illegal.

"It shall be stricken from the proposal. Perhaps an 'Encouraging members to create thoughtful and articulate legislation with regards to unforeseen consequences and in consideration to the variety of member states', or something."
The Principality of Elyreia (Dārilarostegun Elyreia)
The Principality of Elyreia Wiki

World Assembly Ambassador: Dārilaros Korus Vaelans
Uncrowned Head of the House of Vaelans-Volaria
[he/him/she/her/they/them]
(Character Dossier)

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:36 pm

Elyreia wrote:
Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:Fantastic! A lot of these points are solid - you are being credited as an author, and really, these points will add a lot to the draft!

Yay for teamwork!

"It shall be stricken from the proposal. Perhaps an 'Encouraging members to create thoughtful and articulate legislation with regards to unforeseen consequences and in consideration to the variety of member states', or something."

Agreed. Allow me to change the wording for legality reasons, and I think we have a solid proposal!
Author of GA #455
Ban Abortion!

Choose love over death!

The Hellsing Empire
Secretary

Founded: Jan 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hellsing Empire » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:28 am

Dirty Americans wrote:tl;dr

Comments like this should be a reason why certain nations like yours should not be allowed in the WA.
~Lord Emothic Von Hellsing. Cheif Representative of the Hellsing Empire

Ardortia
Secretary

Founded: Sep 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardortia » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:29 am

Explain this enforcement argument. As far as I am aware, all resolutions are perfectly enforcing. Stat changes show that.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:50 am

Ardortia wrote:Explain this enforcement argument. As far as I am aware, all resolutions are perfectly enforcing. Stat changes show that.

(OOC: I agree with the fact that the enforcement argument is quite weak. The Administrative Compliance Act enforced all past or possible future resolution through fines and sanctions if fines are not paid. Also, it is just assumed that mandates are fulfilled by national governments, since it is bad roleplaying to just ignore WA obligations.

On my prior point about banning people in prison for debt from voting as being the same as banning people from voting for debt alone, I recognise there is certainly a colourable and persuasive argument for the opposite. However, IA is currently working on a draft for that very loophole, which is something at which I suggest you should look.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Ardortia
Secretary

Founded: Sep 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardortia » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:58 am

About that, thoughts on IA's argument in the target resolution FAQ that doing so would violate GAR#2's good faith clause?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives