NATION

PASSWORD

[ON HOLD] Intersystem Space Stations Programme

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kenmoria
Senator

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:19 pm

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:At this point, it seems like the future of this proposal is pretty bleak.

So honestly, and I will go with the majority, should I abandon this?

Yes or no?

(OOC: Abandoning the proposal seems quite drastic st this stage. The fundamental idea of this piece of legislation makes senses, which is a good reason to continue with it. However, there are some problems with the draft that need to be addressed. It all depends on whether you think you can make the draft work, which itself varies based on your interpretation of the draft.)
A representative democracy with a parliament of 535 seats
Currently centre-right on economy but centre-left on social issues
Located in Europe and border France to the right and Spain below
NS stats and policies are not canon, use the factbooks
Not in the WA despite coincidentally following all resolutions
This is due to a problem with how the WA contradicts our democracy
However we do have a WA mission and often participate in drafting
Current ambassador: James Lewitt

For more information, read the factbooks here.

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:37 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:At this point, it seems like the future of this proposal is pretty bleak.

So honestly, and I will go with the majority, should I abandon this?

Yes or no?

(OOC: Abandoning the proposal seems quite drastic st this stage. The fundamental idea of this piece of legislation makes senses, which is a good reason to continue with it. However, there are some problems with the draft that need to be addressed. It all depends on whether you think you can make the draft work, which itself varies based on your interpretation of the draft.)

Well, the problem is, I feel a little overwhelmed. A list of problems to mat out before it is widely accepted as good before I submit it would go a long way in terms of making things feel a little more graspable.

I was pretty much inspired by the IASA resolution to join the WA in the first place, because I wanted to see more space infrastructure built, and more resolutions related to space to pass - so the main purpose for my resolution would be to further the infrastructure any and every nation has to access in space. How does that interpretation work?
This signature is under construction.
To Contact the Nagathar Delegate to the General Assembly Contact: Dhanvantari.Krishnan.CGAC@outlook.com
Personal Political Alignment: Congress Party (Sonia Gandhi was leader of Cong. Party for reference)
OOC Stuff:
- 6 Time Failed Issue Author
- My RL Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCXzH27eOIA (Starting 1:48 at least)
- 1 Time Failed GA Author

Bears Armed
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:41 am

OOC
The GA passed an earlier resolution creating a space station: It was repealed quiet quickly. I suggest that you look at in the 'Passed Resolutions' thread for details, and maybe at the archived debates as well.
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Our population is approximately 20 million. We do have a national government, although its role is strictly limited. Economy = thriving. Those aren't "biker gangs", they're our traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies'... and are generally respected, not feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120.

Spokesperson

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:26 pm

Bears Armed wrote:OOC
The GA passed an earlier resolution creating a space station: It was repealed quiet quickly. I suggest that you look at in the 'Passed Resolutions' thread for details, and maybe at the archived debates as well.

Well that is certainly news. :( Maybe I can use it to get ideas on how to fix this one :lol:

My hope is that mine will ring to a different tune - one of more infrastructure in space for the good of everyone, and not "ooh, pretty space station".

Lets take a look :blush:
To Contact the Nagathar Delegate to the General Assembly Contact: Dhanvantari.Krishnan.CGAC@outlook.com
Personal Political Alignment: Congress Party (Sonia Gandhi was leader of Cong. Party for reference)
OOC Stuff:
- My RL Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCXzH27eOIA (Starting 1:48 at least)

Araraukar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:54 pm

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:one of more infrastructure in space for the good of everyone, and not "ooh, pretty space station".

OOC: Hence me harping about the "why" part so much. Because in Real Life it wasn't the United Nations that had ISS built (not to mention mandating that nations spend money on building a space station), it was a voluntary coalition of nations. And I think that would indeed be a better approach for you too. Encourage nations to work together, to build or share existing space stations that are reachable to them and their neighbours, but not actually mandate it, because if a nation is unwilling to spend any money on space research, it's usually because of wanting to put money in keeping its own people safe and healthy and whatnot. If you have to choose between being able to feed everyone for a year or to send a couple of people into orbit for a month, reasonable nations would choose to feed everyone for a year.

If you really are intending the whole "scientific advancements" angle (you'll still have to justify the Educational AoE, though), then I would start from encouraging sharing of the data from microgravity experiements done by others (but be aware of the patents mess), because, like, if there are two WA nations who would both have access to the station, and one nation sends peeps up there to do the experiments - there's no need for the other to send people there too to do the same experiments, if the first nation is willing to share all the data. Space flights are expensive for MT nations, and putting people into space and keeping them alive and bringing them back to ground alive, too, is even more expensive. Which is why you shouldn't mandate the data is shared for free, mind you. And also require that any nation wanting to use a station built by someone else, needs permission from its builders to use it, and also needs to partake the upkeep and maintenance costs.

I would also drop all the "jumping point for more exploration" or "refueling" or whatever, because not only are those going to be unlikely functions for a scientific station (which is what ISS in RL is), the "refueling" especially is... kinda impossible, considering that you'll need to get the fuel from somewhere, and that rocket fuel is notoriously dangerous to deal with. In comparison, dousing yourself in gasoline and then dancing through a house on fire is much safer than dealing with refueling rockets in microgravity. :P
"I've come to appreciate boring bureaucracy much more after my official execution..." - Johan Milkus, acting ambassador in the absence of miss Leveret
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.

Spokesperson

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:43 am

Heads up: This isn't abandoned - just on hold.

RL has gotten in the way of my NS...
OOC Stuff:

Araraukar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:02 pm

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:Heads up: This isn't abandoned - just on hold.

RL has gotten in the way of my NS...

OOC: I suggest you change "REDRAFT" to "ON HOLD", then.
"I've come to appreciate boring bureaucracy much more after my official execution..." - Johan Milkus, acting ambassador in the absence of miss Leveret
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly