NATION

PASSWORD

[Abandoned] Refugee Code

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The Federation of Spokane
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

[Abandoned] Refugee Code

Postby The Federation of Spokane » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:49 pm

The Members of the Honorable WA:
Noting that certain nations have their refugees subjected to squalid conditions
Disgusted that certain nations have refugees go through chemical and biological testing
Concerned that refugees are dying from mistreatment while in Border Security Care
Recognizing that their journey to a free land is full of danger and peril
Hence The need for a Refugee Code
Proposes that
I. Refugees have the right to proper medical and mental care
II. Refugees have the right to food and water
III. Refugees have the right to be with their family
IV. Refugees have the right to say no to any testing or any medical procedure
V. Refugees have the right to not be harmed while in custody because of their religion or political beliefs

If anyone could look this over for me, That’d be great! I am very open minded to any constructive criticism of this.
Last edited by The Federation of Spokane on Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pronouns: Any
Discord: bigbossg13
URA Deputy Director Of Security
Utrikesminister for Altia, Founding Member
Anterian Ambassador*
Chief Communications Officer for Lands End*
Warzone Trinidad Mafia Enforcer
Posts don't represent any of my region's views unless stated otherwise.
"We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude."

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:32 am

(OOC: Wlecome to the GA. Unfortunately, this is currently illegal for a few reasons. Firstly, it doesn’t actually do anything. A piece of legislation must have a definitive mandate or suggestion; a proposal that merely ‘proposes’ action doesn’t qualify. You need something concrete such as ‘mandates’, ‘obligates’, or ‘suggests’.

Also, a lot of what you mandate has already been covered by other resolutions. GA #035 has precedent to apply to refugees, and it bans discrimination in the areas you specifically target, such as medicine and harm, along with all other forms of discrimination. Other resolution also address specifics.

Finally, you should have the category and strength, under which you plan to put this, somewhere in the proposal, as that can be cause for illegality. Don’t, however, be disheartened by this, as lots of first proposals fall afoul of the rules for one reason or another.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Federation of Spokane » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:56 am

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: Wlecome to the GA. Unfortunately, this is currently illegal for a few reasons. Firstly, it doesn’t actually do anything. A piece of legislation must have a definitive mandate or suggestion; a proposal that merely ‘proposes’ action doesn’t qualify. You need something concrete such as ‘mandates’, ‘obligates’, or ‘suggests’.

Also, a lot of what you mandate has already been covered by other resolutions. GA #035 has precedent to apply to refugees, and it bans discrimination in the areas you specifically target, such as medicine and harm, along with all other forms of discrimination. Other resolution also address specifics.

Finally, you should have the category and strength, under which you plan to put this, somewhere in the proposal, as that can be cause for illegality. Don’t, however, be disheartened by this, as lots of first proposals fall afoul of the rules for one reason or another.)

OOC: Thank you. All right, guess I’ll pull this one off the books.
Anterian Ambassador*

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:35 am

The Federation of Spokane wrote:OOC: Thank you. All right, guess I’ll pull this one off the books.

OOC
Thank you for taking it so well, welcome to the GA, and congratulations on having the sense to post your draft here instead of just going straight ahead with submitting it.
If you are giving up on this idea then rep'lacing the '[Draft]' in the thread's title with '[Abandoned]', which you can do by editing the first post, is the usual way to tell people who're checking this forum that you've done so.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Federation of Spokane » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:10 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
The Federation of Spokane wrote:OOC: Thank you. All right, guess I’ll pull this one off the books.

OOC
Thank you for taking it so well, welcome to the GA, and congratulations on having the sense to post your draft here instead of just going straight ahead with submitting it.
If you are giving up on this idea then rep'lacing the '[Draft]' in the thread's title with '[Abandoned]', which you can do by editing the first post, is the usual way to tell people who're checking this forum that you've done so.

Thank you as well.
Anterian Ambassador*

Return to General Assembly