NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Self-Defense Compact

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:05 pm

CoraSpia wrote:"Ambassador, never have I seen a proposal promise so much and deliver so little. The people of the multiverse could, I am sure, do without the World Assembly giving its support to those nations which treat attacks by so-called 'police officers' as different to attacks by any other person. In many of these nations we must remember, it is these so-called officers who serve as the greatest threat to the population."

"Ambassador, that sounds like a purely domestic concern. Like the entire area of self-defense law. If you take issue with such attacks, handle it domestically."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:03 pm

"This has been revived. For obvious reasons."

His Worshipfulness Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Tinhampton
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:06 pm

Lydia Anderson, Assistant to the Delegate-Ambassador: When did you include the clause trying to reserve to member states "concerns regarding self-defense education and training," sir, and for what reason?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 319,372): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375
Other achievements: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; possibly very controversial; "Tinhampton? the man's literally god"
Who am I, really? 46yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate; currently reading National Populism by Roger Eatwell and Matthew Goodwin

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Wallenburg » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:16 pm

OOC: Are you sure you really want to try this now, of all times, when voters will be as volatile as possible on the topic?
I want to improve.
grestin went through the MKULTRA program and he has more of a free will than wallenburg does - Imperial Idaho
Kiu Ghesik wrote:harris' interpretation of bidenism and subsequent establishment of a bidenist vanguard party to root out malarkey and revisionist elements in society was revisionist in and of itself and should never have been implemented.

King of Snark, Minister of World Assembly Affairs, Arbiter for The East Pacific

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:24 pm

Wallenburg wrote:OOC: Are you sure you really want to try this now, of all times, when voters will be as volatile as possible on the topic?

OOC: I expect that Tinhampton's draft will not succeed. At which time I look forward to seeing the voters seek a blocker.

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Wallenburg » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:25 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Wallenburg wrote:OOC: Are you sure you really want to try this now, of all times, when voters will be as volatile as possible on the topic?

OOC: I expect that Tinhampton's draft will not succeed. At which time I look forward to seeing the voters seek a blocker.

Tin's draft is on self-defense education, not the legality of self-defense itself. If not for the last 3 words in this draft, these two drafts attack totally different policy spheres.
Last edited by Wallenburg on Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want to improve.
grestin went through the MKULTRA program and he has more of a free will than wallenburg does - Imperial Idaho
Kiu Ghesik wrote:harris' interpretation of bidenism and subsequent establishment of a bidenist vanguard party to root out malarkey and revisionist elements in society was revisionist in and of itself and should never have been implemented.

King of Snark, Minister of World Assembly Affairs, Arbiter for The East Pacific

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:34 pm

Wallenburg wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: I expect that Tinhampton's draft will not succeed. At which time I look forward to seeing the voters seek a blocker.

Tin's draft is on self-defense education, not the legality of self-defense itself. If not for the last 3 words in this draft, these two drafts attack totally different policy spheres.

OOC: I have great confidence in the majority of voters to miss the brief.

Tinhampton
Powerbroker

Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:36 pm

Wallenburg wrote:Tin's draft is on self-defense education, not the legality of self-defense itself. If not for the last 3 words in this draft, these two drafts attack totally different policy spheres.

OOC: I have great confidence in the majority of voters to miss the brief.

So you're trying to stop SDEC (or similar) passing by inserting a blocker into Article 5 of a resolution about self-defence in practice and openly admitting that most people won't notice? :roll:
Last edited by Tinhampton on Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 319,372): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375
Other achievements: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; possibly very controversial; "Tinhampton? the man's literally god"
Who am I, really? 46yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate; currently reading National Populism by Roger Eatwell and Matthew Goodwin

Bananaistan
GA Secretariat

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:44 pm

"Support."
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:26 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: I have great confidence in the majority of voters to miss the brief.

So you're trying to stop SDEC (or similar) passing by inserting a blocker into Article 5 of a resolution about self-defence in practice and openly admitting that most people won't notice? :roll:

Ooc: yes. Over ten thousand votes are cast in these votes. Do you really think most of them read carefully?

Tinhampton
Powerbroker

Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:57 pm

Tinhampton wrote:So you're trying to stop SDEC (or similar) passing by inserting a blocker into Article 5 of a resolution about self-defence in practice and openly admitting that most people won't notice? :roll:

Ooc: yes. Over ten thousand votes are cast in these votes. Do you really think most of them read carefully?

They will... soon.

Article 5's insistence that member states allow their inhabitants to defend themselves while permitting them not to allow their inhabitants to learn how they can defend themselves is mindboggling at best. Yet it is also many times more dangerous than almost any of the other topical riders I have encountered in my five years in the World Assembly. I therefore cannot cast my 43 votes (as of time of writing) in favour of this proposal until the Article 5 rider is removed.

Wayneactia
Minister

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wayneactia » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:47 pm

Unconditional support.

Tinhampton wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: yes. Over ten thousand votes are cast in these votes. Do you really think most of them read carefully?

They will... soon.

Have you invented some magic formula that somehow makes people actually read things? If so, you should patent that shit and it will make you trillions.
Sarcasm dispensed liberally.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:35 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: yes. Over ten thousand votes are cast in these votes. Do you really think most of them read carefully?

They will... soon.

Article 5's insistence that member states allow their inhabitants to defend themselves while permitting them not to allow their inhabitants to learn how they can defend themselves is mindboggling at best. Yet it is also many times more dangerous than almost any of the other topical riders I have encountered in my five years in the World Assembly. I therefore cannot cast my 43 votes (as of time of writing) in favour of this proposal until the Article 5 rider is removed.

"Please do. A countercampaign from your delegation would likely push many delegates into the FOR camp. Your reputation cuts against you in this case, ambassador. Member states are welcome to make their own determinations regarding self defense and the rules governing it. Self defense and it's appropriateness, in all contexts, is extremely culturally specific, and forcing member states to incorporate a one-size-fits-all approach without regard for that cultural context is poor policy. At best, it is wasteful and inefficient."

Tinhampton
Powerbroker

Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:32 am

Anderson: I do not want every self-defence teacher everywhere to deliver the same instruction to everybody; that is a massive misrepresentation of my position and the Tinhamptonian delegation's. I do not even want all rules about self-defence - other than its status as a legal defence - to be the same everywhere. If you have any further concerns, you'll find me in what used to be Maria vyn Nysen's office until she quit a few months ago.

Haganham
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 17, 2021
Father Knows Best State

Postby Haganham » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:21 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"This has been revived. For obvious reasons."

"why? what happened"

Imperium Anglorum
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:24 pm

Tinhampton wrote:Article 5's insistence that member states allow their inhabitants to defend themselves while permitting them not to allow their inhabitants to learn how they can defend themselves is mindboggling at best. Yet it is also many times more dangerous than almost any of the other topical riders I have encountered in my five years in the World Assembly. I therefore cannot cast my 43 votes (as of time of writing) in favour of this proposal until the Article 5 rider is removed.

401 - 43.

Author: 1 SC and 44 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs
Delegate for Europe
Gaius Marcius Blythe; OOC unless otherwise indicated
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Dastardly villain providing free services to the community sans remuneration

Ainocra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ainocra » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:16 am

Article three is a bit vague perhaps something more like this

This right in no way protects those who are in the act of committing a crime or those who are being lawfully detained by the appropriate authorities of their respective nations.

Rough wording but it gets the gist across, feel free to use it in any way you can.
Alcon Enta
Supreme Marshal of Ainocra

"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly