NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Debtor Voting Rights

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Republic Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby United Republic Empire » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:56 pm

Kerchistania wrote:Damn this sh*t is gonna pass :eyebrow:

No worries there are plenty of people working on repeals at the moment.
Separatist Peoples
OOC: Well, the GA is full of obstructionist elite, and the rules are just there to hold the OP back. Haven't you heard?

Vrama
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Vrama » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:39 pm

United Republic Empire wrote:
Kerchistania wrote:Damn this sh*t is gonna pass :eyebrow:

No worries there are plenty of people working on repeals at the moment.

We are most glad to hear of it. :clap:
--The Foreign Ministry of the Most Sacred Kingdom of Vrama

United Republic Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 27, 2014

Postby United Republic Empire » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:50 am

@Imperium Anglorum - needs updated to [Passed]
Separatist Peoples
OOC: Well, the GA is full of obstructionist elite, and the rules are just there to hold the OP back. Haven't you heard?

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:09 am

Congratulations.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:59 am

United Republic Empire wrote:@Imperium Anglorum - needs updated to [Passed]

OOC: In other words...

Debtor Voting Rights was passed 9,614 votes to 6,991.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:14 am

Congrats, and the waves of badly written (or even considered) proposals have already begun to flow in. At least the first submitted were good, I think. They were the ones actually drafted I believe.
Ambassador Ariela Galadriel Maria Mirase
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:19 am

OOC
One repeal actually points out a contradiction that would have made this illegal if it had been noticed in time. Unfortunately, as all passed resolutions have to be considered legal simply by virtue of having passed, pointing out that contradiction as an illegality -- rather than just as, perhaps, a potential cause of legislative confusion -- makes the repeal itself illegal.
As member nations imprisoning people for debt has not yet been banned, this should have been declared illegal -- before it passed -- for contradiction of GAR#419
3. Reserves for member nations the liberty to legislate on the issue of enfranchisement for individuals under incarceration.

Now that it has passed, however, I suppose we have to read the two resolutions together as meaning that nations which disenfranchise the imprisoned can no longer imprison people for debt.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:36 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC
One repeal actually points out a contradiction that would have made this illegal if it had been noticed in time. Unfortunately, as all passed resolutions have to be considered legal simply by virtue of having passed, pointing out that contradiction as an illegality -- rather than just as, perhaps, a potential cause of legislative confusion -- makes the repeal itself illegal.
As member nations imprisoning people for debt has not yet been banned, this should have been declared illegal -- before it passed -- for contradiction of GAR#419
3. Reserves for member nations the liberty to legislate on the issue of enfranchisement for individuals under incarceration.

Now that it has passed, however, I suppose we have to read the two resolutions together as meaning that nations which disenfranchise the imprisoned can no longer imprison people for debt.

Just to be clear: the original proposal, that was illegal, cannot now be made illegal, but the repeal of that proposal, that points out that the original proposal was illegal, is itself illegal.
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

Castelia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2015
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Castelia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:42 am

Yikes. Turns out the naysayers were right after all. The "Right for the Wrong Reasons" trope applies here, I guess. :rofl:
"They say I'm insane, but take a look at the world and tell me the pleasures of sanity."
My IRL politics are simple: anti-Chinese Communist Party. If a view is anti-CCP, no matter how bad it is, that's my view.

Welcome to the Casteliaverse! | Factbook Repository
A 10.125 civilization, according to this index, and a Class 1 Civilization according to this index.
I DO NOT USE NS STATS. This nation does not represent my IRL views.
This spoiler is a tribute to Vanquaria, whose level of based I aspire to achieve one day.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:49 am

Ah well. Not much can be done about that now I guess.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Castelia
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Castelia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:57 am

The New California Republic wrote:

Ah well. Not much can be done about that now I guess.

Sounds like a propaganda victory for a certain someone, eh? Big OOF!
"They say I'm insane, but take a look at the world and tell me the pleasures of sanity."
My IRL politics are simple: anti-Chinese Communist Party. If a view is anti-CCP, no matter how bad it is, that's my view.

A 10.125 civilization, according to this index, and a Class 1 Civilization according to this index.
This spoiler is a tribute to Vanquaria, whose level of based I aspire to achieve one day.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:59 am

Castelia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Ah well. Not much can be done about that now I guess.

Sounds like a propaganda victory for a certain someone, eh? Big OOF!

To be honest even GenSec missed it.

Wave on, wave on

Falcania
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:05 am

Fewer than four hours had passed between the first draft of this, and someone pointing out the incarceration-of-debtors issue that would have rendered this illegal.

The author of the proposal authored a seperate proposal that would have patched this loophole. A member of the General Secretariat even commented on that legislation.

It is absolutely clear that the General Secretariat were aware that this objection had been raised well in advance of the passing of this legislation.

I have always admired the work of Bears Armed but on this occasion, with the high level of scrutiny on this controversial decision, "it unfortunately wasn't noticed in time" simply doesn't pass muster.

To say I am vexed is putting it mildly.
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

Castelia
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Castelia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:09 am

Falcania wrote:Fewer than four hours had passed between the first draft of this, and someone pointing out the incarceration-of-debtors issue that would have rendered this illegal.

The author of the proposal authored a seperate proposal that would have patched this loophole. A member of the General Secretariat even commented on that legislation.

It is absolutely clear that the General Secretariat were aware that this objection had been raised well in advance of the passing of this legislation.

I have always admired the work of Bears Armed but on this occasion, with the high level of scrutiny on this controversial decision, "it unfortunately wasn't noticed in time" simply doesn't pass muster.

Oh, my! Someone's getting his faith in the system shaken!

Welcome to the party, friend!

If this had been true, then I guess I can say that either you guys were blinded by your love for IA, or you purposefully ignored it for the sake of what you could only call *in a deep voice* a conspiracy!

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:13 am

Falcania wrote:Fewer than four hours had passed between the first draft of this, and someone pointing out the incarceration-of-debtors issue that would have rendered this illegal.

But that doesn't necessarily say anything about the legality issues as such. GenSec would have intervened if they had noticed it was illegal.

Wave on, wave on

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:18 am

Falcania wrote:

Just to be clear: the original proposal, that was illegal, cannot now be made illegal, but the repeal of that proposal, that points out that the original proposal was illegal, is itself illegal.
OOC
On the basis of past precedent, yes.

OOC
Unfortunately various RL factors mean that several GenSec members have been -- and perhaps still are -- less active than usual (We might need to consider recruiting some more members, but getting enough of us "together" to discuss that runs into the same problem...), and I myself am currently below par due to health problems.
An interesting point was raised in a repeal attempt by Firelia: See viewtopic.php?p=35190991#p35190991 for my comment about that. I'm TGing them about it, and will suggest that they join in the discussion of this proposal instead of continuing separately .
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:31 am

That's just like not true. As SL pointed out on the Discord:

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:34 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:That's just like not true. As SL pointed out on the Discord:

(Image)

I don't follow the Discord (not enough time online available, after following the forum, apart from anything else), and disagree with SL on that point.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:42 am

As IA pointed out, I don't agree that the recently passed resolution contradicts #419 (I thought I had stated this publicly in this forum also, but perhaps I'm misremembering). The two discuss different topics entirely. Some nations might choose to let even their actively incarcerated inmate population continue to vote, others may make a distinction based on type or severity of the crime. In no case does forbidding the deprivation of franchise solely for debt have any effect on the consequences nations visit upon their prisoners. The fact that some states might still be operating under an eighteenth-century economic paradigm doesn't magically create a contradiction between two unrelated resolutions.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:12 am

This idea of 'creating' a contradiction was something I brought up in the thread on banning secret treaties. GA 2's good faith provision (art 9) includes all international agreements. One can always imagine a state that has an agreement which would contradict whatever it is that the resolution is imposing, and therefore, under this 'there cannot possibly be any contradiction anywhere' standard, all proposals are illegal. Such a standard is prima facie absurd.

Also, this point isn't new and brought up in that repeal. I brought it up in a repeal thread earlier. It also happens to be in the FAQ at the top of this thread.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:21 am

The [AT VOTE] tag still needs changing...

Wave on, wave on

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:33 am

As my nation believes in each individuals agency. We can only congratulate the passing of this proposal. And hope that all nations will also allow prisoners to vote.

Except for voting fraudsters for the duration of their incarceration, those cannot be trusted with the voting system since they've abused it.

Olivya Oi, WA ambassador
Last edited by The Blaatschapen on Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:25 am

BA's interpretation has no basis in the text of this resolution. No mandate exists here that member states may not disenfranchize debtors. Rather, this resolution mandates that member states may not disenfranchise on the basis of debt. This has the effect of protecting the voting rights of debtors who would otherwise qualify to vote if they were not in debt. However, those populations that fail to meet other qualifications to vote in many member states, such as foreigners and the incarcerated, are guaranteed no voting rights here. The resolution was always legal.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Falcania
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:27 am

Castelia wrote:

Oh, my! Someone's getting his faith in the system shaken!

Welcome to the party, friend!

If this had been true, then I guess I can say that either you guys were blinded by your love for IA, or you purposefully ignored it for the sake of what you could only call *in a deep voice* a conspiracy!

OOC: I don't want to suggest that I'm onboard with what seems to be a personal tirade against Imperium Anglorum. I suspect that the noise of this feud served mainly to drown out the legal concerns. My good-faith analysis of what's happened is that IA has largely proposed this legislation to prove a point that a single line resolution can be passed, that's rubbed people up the wrong way, and that in all the kerfuffle, GenSec dropped the ball slightly. I guess ultimately it was contingent on those of us who suspected it might be illegal to put in a Legality Challenge before this hit the floor. It's given me a lot to think about in that regard.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:52 am

The proposal is not and was not illegal for the reason that BA is insinuating. The maths don't work out in such a manner that it could be illegal. And more fundamentally, English doesn't work that way, unless it really is the case that when I write a subset of a set, it means something totally different from when Auralia writes the same thing.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives