NATION

PASSWORD

Effect of Global Warming

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Kunavia
Civilian

Founded: Oct 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Effect of Global Warming

Postby Kunavia » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:16 pm

[proposal=]The World Assembly,

Factories have allowed for lots to be produced at one time and increase income in some cases and forms a economic basis for most member nations.

However it has lead to melting of the polar ice caps posing risks not limited to :

a. Flooding of islands such as the Maldives and the Seychelles

b. Warming of oceans thus killing off some ocean life

c. Some animals dying due to the heat

Fearing the demand for more products at once thus boosting heat and desiring to cool down the globe; Desiring to help preserve wildlife by cooling the globe so it is not too hot for some animals, and facilitate cooling through a series of member nations are urged to support operations such as the World Species Preservation Organization (W.S.P.O) .

Hereby :

1. Declares nations having factories producing heat up to 3 degrees Celsius as "environmental damaging nations".
1a. Declares nations having factories producing heat up to 10 degrees Celsius kicked out of the World Assembly.

2. Urges member nations that global warming can kill the population and wildlife.

3. Mandates that ALL applicants for the World Assembly MUST not produce 3 degrees Celsius of heat.[/proposal]

Merendia
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Merendia » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:19 pm

This is horrible. That's all I got to say currently. Give me a second to jot down some issues.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:21 pm

Kunavia wrote:1a. Declares nations having factories producing heat up to 10 degrees Celsius kicked out of the World Assembly.

And that, my friend, is what we in the business refer to as a Game Mechanics violation.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Merendia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Merendia » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:27 pm

Alright, problem one, the first paragraph is poorly written. What you have is "Factories have allowed for lots to be produced at one time and increase income in some cases and forms a economic basis for most member nations."
Instead, try Recognising the importance of factories upon the industrial sector for nations economics. Gives off a more formal tone.

Problem 2. The next part. You have:

"However it has lead to melting of the polar ice caps posing risks not limited to :

c. Some animals dying due to the heat"
This is NS and the WA, not real life. Try not to bring real life issues into this. Try wording it as due to the global warming effects glaciers have begun to melt, resulting in the flooding of islands and land loss for artic wildlife and dry land as a whole.
Also like I said the Maldives and Seychelles should be omitted due to it being real life, not NS. Also killing "some" animals and "some" dying minimises your numbers, and thus your effect on this draft. Try countless creatures have been slain due to the increase in temperature both in and out of the oceans.

Merendia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Merendia » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:27 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
Kunavia wrote:1a. Declares nations having factories producing heat up to 10 degrees Celsius kicked out of the World Assembly.

And that, my friend, is what we in the business refer to as a Game Mechanics violation.

I'm getting to that too. You can tell this player is new. It's okay, we have all been there.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:50 pm

(OOC: Some immediate problems I have noticed: firstly, you mention real life nations such as the Seychelles, this is illegal for RL reference as, in NationStates, there should be no mention of actual places, people or nations; secondly, also, as Tinhampon has pointed out, it is against the rules to mandate that nations are kicked out of the World Assembly. I suggest you have a look at the rules and make your proposal conform to them. However, well done for actually drafting your proposal on the forums, a lot of new players don’t do that.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Cosmopolitan borovan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopolitan borovan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:31 pm

How can you verify a nation is responsible for producing three degrees Celsius

1a. Declares nations having factories producing heat up to 10 degrees Celsius kicked out of the World Assembly.

No

Eralba
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Eralba » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:24 pm

Global warming is sometimes treated as a myth. It's not happening, it's not real people say. It is real. It is happening and happening before our very eyes. Our fossil fuels are finite sources. People are not. So therefore, I suggest we start using people as a means of harvesting and fuelling energy. The prisons are full in my country and I suggest we free them up and save the exchequer a few bucks. Shovel a few undesirables into the furnaces of our great big power plants instead of coal and oil. The world is overpopulated people.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:30 pm

We need to talk about that heat production. Factories can get really hot, like "more than 3-10 degrees Celsius" hot. You have furnaces, fractional distillation, and the whole nine yards.

Unless you're talking about the temperature of the factory floor, and even then, 3-10 Celsius is a very small tolerance. I can just increase the temperature of the floor from 24 to 28, and you will scream "Environmentally Damaging!"
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:30 pm

Valentine Z wrote:We need to talk about that heat production. Factories can get really hot, like "more than 3-10 degrees Celsius" hot. You have furnaces, fractional distillation, and the whole nine yards.

Unless you're talking about the temperature of the factory floor, and even then, 3-10 Celsius is a very small tolerance. I can just increase the temperature of the floor from 24 to 28, and you will scream "Environmentally Damaging!"

OOC: Uh, I am pretty sure normal tempretures here in SA are usually above 10 degrees celcius (18 is considered a cold day).
Ambassador Ariela Galadriel Maria Mirase
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

Dirty Americans
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dirty Americans » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:50 am

Merendia wrote:This is horrible.

That has to be the understatement of the year.

"Declares nations having factories producing heat up to 3 degrees Celsius ..."

So if a factory generates more heat than three degrees above freezing it's got a problem? My house produces heat beyond 3 degrees Celsius when I open the door to step outside.

The first section is a blog post
The second section is horrible
The second section contains game mechanics which are illegal (or makes an eagle ill ... ill eagle)
Dirty Americans of The East Pacific
Member of the Tzorsland Puppet Federation
Mike Rowe, Leader / John Henry, Ambassador
Bill Nye Science Guy / Rosie O'Donnel Social Warrior/ Michelle Obama Food Expert

Kiravian WA Mission
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kiravian WA Mission » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:56 am

This is fantastic, full support!

New Conservative America
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby New Conservative America » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:59 pm

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

You cannot dictate other nation's sovereignty/choices. If they want pollution and want to use factories let them.

This will be shot down by record numbers if brought up.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:08 pm

Kiravian WA Mission wrote:This is fantastic, full support!

OOC: Except for the minor fact of it being illegal as all get out, and the author hasn’t replied, or even logged in, since they posted it. So, what are you basing your “fantastic” assessment on?
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:14 pm

New Conservative America wrote:You cannot dictate other nation's sovereignty/choices

That is quite literally the entire point of the WA

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:19 pm

New Conservative America wrote:ABSOLUTELY NOT!

You cannot dictate other nation's sovereignty/choices. If they want pollution and want to use factories let them.

While the outcome will likely be as you suggest, Natsov is not likely to be the primary cause for that response. Btw if national sovereignty is that important, why are you in the WA? a body which explicitly limits national sovreignity.
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

New Conservative America
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby New Conservative America » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:25 am

Arasi Luvasa wrote:
New Conservative America wrote:ABSOLUTELY NOT!

While the outcome will likely be as you suggest, Natsov is not likely to be the primary cause for that response. Btw if national sovereignty is that important, why are you in the WA? a body which explicitly limits national sovreignity.

Fair point. I just want to be involved globally. However, I do not agree with the limits on national sovereignty. That doesn't mean I don't have to not be a part of it though...does it?

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:08 am

New Conservative America wrote:
Arasi Luvasa wrote:

Fair point. I just want to be involved globally. However, I do not agree with the limits on national sovereignty. That doesn't mean I don't have to not be a part of it though...does it?

No, it is just that you will have your national sovereignty limited by the various resolutions that have been passed or will passed (IC, non-compliance is not really looked favorably upon save creative non-compliance). Natsov is also a terrible argument here as it doesn't address anything save what all resolutions hold in common.

Isilanka
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 13, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Isilanka » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:12 am

If you're about to make such a draft, I suggest you take inspiration from the proposal that's currently at vote in the GA. It's greatly worded, doesn't use parallels to IRL Earth, and defines its terms (such as green house effect or greenhouse gas) in precise, scientific terms while still being easily understandable.
Pagan, slightly matriarchal nation with near future technology. Northern-european inspired culture in the north, arabic-inspired in the south. Liberal, left-leaning, high-tech environmentalist nation.
Uses most NS stats.

Native of The Pacific. Usually non-aligned. Make of that what you will.

Kiravian WA Mission
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 31, 2014

Postby Kiravian WA Mission » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:59 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Kiravian WA Mission wrote:This is fantastic, full support!

OOC: Except for the minor fact of it being illegal as all get out, and the author hasn’t replied, or even logged in, since they posted it. So, what are you basing your “fantastic” assessment on?

OOC: Precisely on the fact that it is illegal as all get out. The author's disinterest in seeing it to passage is just a bonus.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:04 pm

Kunavia wrote:
[proposal=]The World Assembly,

Factories have allowed for lots to be produced at one time and increase income in some cases and forms a economic basis for most member nations.

However it has lead to melting of the polar ice caps posing risks not limited to :

c. Some animals dying due to the heat

Fearing the demand for more products at once thus boosting heat and desiring to cool down the globe; Desiring to help preserve wildlife by cooling the globe so it is not too hot for some animals, and facilitate cooling through a series of member nations are urged to support operations such as the World Species Preservation Organization (W.S.P.O) .

Hereby :

1. Declares nations having factories producing heat up to 3 degrees Celsius as "environmental damaging nations".

2. Urges member nations that global warming can kill the population and wildlife.

3. Mandates that ALL applicants for the World Assembly MUST not produce 3 degrees Celsius of heat.[/proposal]

OOC: The NationStates Universe =/= real life. The things that you are referencing probably don't exist in NationStates. Plus, you actually have explicit RL references ("Seychelles", and "Maldives"), which are not allowed.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly