NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted] Pink Tax Ban

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Quantipapa
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 26, 2018
Ex-Nation

[Submitted] Pink Tax Ban

Postby Quantipapa » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:54 am

Seeking to end gender-based discrimination, this resolution aims to take a major step forward in advancing the cause within the commercial and consumer sector by enforcing a tax exemption on essential "pink" items. This resolution ensures that all women have access to basic sanitary aid.

Definitions:

"Pink" items - Commonly associated with female products, this resolution does not exempt all gender-based products, but those essential to everyday health and hygiene. Specifically, sanitary-related products.

This resolution ensures that:
1. No tax can be levied on the transaction of "pink" items. These items are either exempted from tax, or zero-rated.
2. This tax-exemption be applied on every stage of transaction - from factory to shelf.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:10 am

OOC
But does taxing items that happen to be used by only one gender really constitute "discrimination"... or is it giving an exemption for items used by one gender and not for items used by the other gender[s] as well that does so? I'm inclined to say the latter, especially where [for example] it's just one aspect of a 'sales tax' that applies to all goods purchased retail...
I haven't labelled this as illegal for contradiction of existing legislation (GAR #17, clause 8 ) yet, but am considering the possibility.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Quantipapa
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Quantipapa » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:16 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC
But does taxing items that happen to be used by only one gender really constitute "discrimination"... or is it giving an exemption for items used by one gender and not for items used by the other gender[s] as well that does so? I'm inclined to say the latter, especially where [for example] it's just one aspect of a 'sales tax' that applies to all goods purchased retail...
I haven't labelled this as illegal for contradiction of existing legislation (GAR #17, clause 8 ) yet, but am considering the possibility.

It's discrimination if - other items that constitute basic needs are tax exempt, and sanitary products are mislabeled as health and beauty products along with perfumes and makeup for example. This is an everyday need for the general health of a woman, and the targeted exemption helps make it easier for women to access this basic need.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:18 am

Why did you submit this without drafting? Or is this in response to Nohtasha doing the same with her Women's Products Act?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Athonuna
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Athonuna » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:22 am

Yes, but have you considered that women's hygiene products, like razors, for example, cost more to make than men's products? Women have much more to shave with a razor than men on average, and hence have more stuff added to the blade. That's just one example, but I think it's a good example of how this isn't discrimination. It's the free market. It's simple supply and demand. Women only have to pay more because they're getting more than men get. Besides, I could probably go to Walmart right now and find a women's razor that costs less than a men's razor. There are different brands, you know.
Current Accidental policies (Thanks, Pacomia): Corporal Punishment, Prudism, Child Labor (sort of)
Meme summarizing Athonuna, courtesy of Maori Moon
I'M A BIOLOGICAL MALE THAT DOES NOT THINK THAT HE'S A WOMAN!
NOR AM I KAZAKH ARGENTINA (You know who you are)
ISLAM IS NOT A RELIGION OF PEACE!
That is all.

Quantipapa
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Quantipapa » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:23 am

Athonuna wrote:Yes, but have you considered that women's hygiene products, like razors, for example, cost more to make than men's products? Women have much more to shave with a razor than men on average, and hence have more stuff added to the blade. That's just one example, but I think it's a good example of how this isn't discrimination. It's the free market. It's simple supply and demand. Women only have to pay more because they're getting more than men get. Besides, I could probably go to Walmart right now and find a women's razor that costs less than a men's razor. There are different brands, you know.

So you don't consider a pad a basic need. Ok

Quantipapa
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Quantipapa » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:24 am

Tinhampton wrote:Why did you submit this without drafting? Or is this in response to Nohtasha doing the same with her Women's Products Act?

This is better.

Athonuna
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Athonuna » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:27 am

Quantipapa wrote:
Athonuna wrote:Yes, but have you considered that women's hygiene products, like razors, for example, cost more to make than men's products? Women have much more to shave with a razor than men on average, and hence have more stuff added to the blade. That's just one example, but I think it's a good example of how this isn't discrimination. It's the free market. It's simple supply and demand. Women only have to pay more because they're getting more than men get. Besides, I could probably go to Walmart right now and find a women's razor that costs less than a men's razor. There are different brands, you know.

You can't respond to my argument with a flippant rhetorical question; it discredits you.
Current Accidental policies (Thanks, Pacomia): Corporal Punishment, Prudism, Child Labor (sort of)
That is all.

Quantipapa
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Quantipapa » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:28 am

Athonuna wrote:
Quantipapa wrote:

You can't respond to my argument with a flippant rhetorical question; it discredits you.

It wasn't a question. It was a realisation.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:31 am

Quantipapa wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:Why did you submit this without drafting? Or is this in response to Nohtasha doing the same with her Women's Products Act?

This is better.

OOC: "Better" doesn't necessarily mean "ready for submission." The point of drafting these things here in the forum is to actually draft them, i.e. get feedback from other players on ways to improve it. The intended result isn't just to make a resolution (the international law by which the nations of the world comport themselves[!]) that's "better than that guy's version," but one that's literally the best possible law you could ever make. Yes, this is better, but that's a pretty low bar. Try to aim a bit higher and you'll get the true respect of the GA community. :)
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Athonuna
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Athonuna » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:32 am

Quantipapa wrote:
Athonuna wrote:You can't respond to my argument with a flippant rhetorical question; it discredits you.

It wasn't a question. It was a realisation.

What you're doing is very petty; it doesn't make you look professional. If you'd like to present an argument, I'd gladly debate it with you.
That is all.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:37 am

Quantipapa wrote:

It's discrimination if - other items that constitute basic needs are tax exempt, and sanitary products are mislabeled as health and beauty products along with perfumes and makeup for example.

OOC
Are you relying on an assumption that this is the case in all WA members? There are bound to be some where that isn't the case, and those items are only covered by a general sales tax that covers other "basic needs" as well.
Having thought this over, I am labelling it as illegal for contradiction of GA Resolution #17, clause 8.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:46 am

“Opposed. Not only was this submitted without any period of drafting, it also arguably contradicts legislation on discrimination, and Kenmoria is opposed to a ban on tax on ‘pink’ products anyway.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Liberimery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimery » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:16 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Quantipapa wrote:
This is better.

OOC: "Better" doesn't necessarily mean "ready for submission." The point of drafting these things here in the forum is to actually draft them, i.e. get feedback from other players on ways to improve it. The intended result isn't just to make a resolution (the international law by which the nations of the world comport themselves[!]) that's "better than that guy's version," but one that's literally the best possible law you could ever make. Yes, this is better, but that's a pretty low bar. Try to aim a bit higher and you'll get the true respect of the GA community. :)

OOC: I'm getting to a point where I'd like to know if it's possible to get a rule against submitting before drafting.
Last edited by Liberimery on Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:00 pm

Liberimery wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:

Don't you mean drafting? Just curious.
Ambassador Ariela Galadriel Maria Mirase
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:26 pm

OOC: Submitted without drafting. Not a good sign. I'm not convinced that having standard taxes on these items constitutes discrimination.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:36 pm

Are you relying on an assumption that this is the case in all WA members? There are bound to be some where that isn't the case, and those items are only covered by a general sales tax that covers other "basic needs" as well.
Having thought this over, I am labelling it as illegal for contradiction of GA Resolution #17, clause 8.

Are you arguing that because discrimination might not be happening in all WA nations, the proposal is illegal under GA 17's internal taxation clause? If that's the case, then the exception is absolutely completely useless.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:03 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:

Are you arguing that because discrimination might not be happening in all WA nations, the proposal is illegal under GA 17's internal taxation clause? If that's the case, then the exception is absolutely completely useless.

OOC: I don't read it that way. The clear thinking behind that exception is to allow prohibition of actually discriminatory taxation - e.g. taxing Bigtopians at a higher rate than natural born citizens (taken care of by GAR #35, but a concern upon passage of #17), or taxing gender transition surgery at a higher rate than facelifts and liposuction.

Applying ordinary sales tax on feminine hygiene items isn't discriminatory if the same tax is applied to other toiletries. Waiving such taxes is inarguably helpful in fighting poverty (though not as helpful as, say, supplying these items free to women below certain income levels), but it's hard to make the case that in a WA that contains Resolution #344, sales taxes on some items are inherently discriminatory based on their use. Everyone needs soap and shampoo and deodorant; women need tampons and pads as well. If these things are taxed at the same rate, there's no discrimination.

Now, if the author wanted to assert that pads and tampons are more necessary to women than soap, shampoo, or deodorant are to anybody, that would be sufficient for me to mark this legal under the theory that equal taxation with those other items is inherently discriminatory - as equal per-ounce taxes on (e.g.) baby formula and roquefort cheese possibly discriminate against infants (and their families), who absolutely require the former for fundamental nutrition. OR, the author could argue that since women require pads or tampons in addition to the other necessities, while children and men have no such additional needs, taxation on those items constitutes an additional (and therefore discriminatory) tax upon being a woman. That would suffice as well. It would then be up to voters to determine if they agree with that argument.
Last edited by Sierra Lyricalia on Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Liberimery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimery » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:56 pm

Arasi Luvasa wrote:
Liberimery wrote:

Don't you mean drafting? Just curious.

OOC: Yes. Don't know how the abominable "B" word got in there. Editing now.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:48 pm

Liberimery wrote:OOC: I'm getting to a point where I'd like to know if it's possible to get a rule against submitting before drafting.

That won't be happening. There are players who can't participate in the forums for a variety of reasons - being underage, being in a class region, being forumbanned, etc. Then there are players who prefer to draft offsite in regional forums, Discord servers, etc. We're not going to accept a rule that shuts them out of the process.

At the same time, there also won't be a rule preventing you from voting AGAINST a proposal that wasn't drafted on the forums. Lots of people have an automatic negative reaction to non-drafted proposals. Also, a lot of them break other rules anyway, so it's not like a drafting rule is needed all that often.

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:44 pm

Such a tax would contradict "World Assembly General Fund" by my understanding, since enacting legislation with regards to particular produces does not actually tackle "unfair discrimination". In fact, if anything, such a ban supports unfair discrimination, albeit in a very indirect manner.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:33 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Are you arguing that because discrimination might not be happening in all WA nations, the proposal is illegal under GA 17's internal taxation clause? If that's the case, then the exception is absolutely completely useless.

OOC: I don't read it that way. The clear thinking behind that exception is to allow prohibition of actually discriminatory taxation - e.g. taxing Bigtopians at a higher rate than natural born citizens (taken care of by GAR #35, but a concern upon passage of #17), or taxing gender transition surgery at a higher rate than facelifts and liposuction.

Applying ordinary sales tax on feminine hygiene items isn't discriminatory if the same tax is applied to other toiletries.
Waiving such taxes is inarguably helpful in fighting poverty (though not as helpful as, say, supplying these items free to women below certain income levels), but it's hard to make the case that in a WA that contains Resolution #344, sales taxes on some items are inherently discriminatory based on their use. Everyone needs soap and shampoo and deodorant; women need tampons and pads as well. If these things are taxed at the same rate, there's no discrimination.

Now, if the author wanted to assert that pads and tampons are more necessary to women than soap, shampoo, or deodorant are to anybody, that would be sufficient for me to mark this legal under the theory that equal taxation with those other items is inherently discriminatory - as equal per-ounce taxes on (e.g.) baby formula and roquefort cheese possibly discriminate against infants (and their families), who absolutely require the former for fundamental nutrition. OR, the author could argue that since women require pads or tampons in addition to the other necessities, while children and men have no such additional needs, taxation on those items constitutes an additional (and therefore discriminatory) tax upon being a woman. That would suffice as well. It would then be up to voters to determine if they agree with that argument.

OOC
Thank you for explaining this more thoroughly than I did. Full agreement.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roast Pork
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 26, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Roast Pork » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:10 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:

Applying ordinary sales tax on feminine hygiene items isn't discriminatory if the same tax is applied to other toiletries.
Waiving such taxes is inarguably helpful in fighting poverty (though not as helpful as, say, supplying these items free to women below certain income levels), but it's hard to make the case that in a WA that contains Resolution #344, sales taxes on some items are inherently discriminatory based on their use. Everyone needs soap and shampoo and deodorant; women need tampons and pads as well. If these things are taxed at the same rate, there's no discrimination.

OOC
Thank you for explaining this more thoroughly than I did. Full agreement.

Hello there, sorry for jumping in. I notice the gentlemen actually submitted this proposal and I've been following this thread. Regarding the subject of discrimination, I just wanted to clarify - would it be considered discriminatory if an argument is sufficiently made that women's hygiene products are more of a necessity compared to - say - shampoo?. I'm not so much agreeing or disagreeing, just trying to understand where the gridlock is and figuring out the proposal mechanics.

Quantipapa
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Quantipapa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:28 am

Thank you all for completely derailing a good idea and taking it way off topic.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:31 am

Quantipapa wrote:Thank you all for completely derailing a good idea and taking it way off topic.

The topic is always "is this legal". I'm seeing very little in the way of off-topic comments, none of which derailed this thread. You should have posted a [DRAFT] first instead of submitting.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly