NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Protecting the Autonomy of NGOs.

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

[Draft] Protecting the Autonomy of NGOs.

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:30 am

Category: The Furtherment of Democracy
Strength: Significant

The World Assembly,

Applauding the social and cultural benefits to a society by non-governmental organisations, such as welfare and education programs intended to augment the national ones,

Aware that while the World Assembly has made many strides in protecting the rights and responsibilities of the individual, not much has yet been done to protect beneficial organisations from being targeted by the government when it disapproves on the influence or values represented by said non-governmental organisation,

Acknowledging potential for abuse - financial as well as individual - and scams conducted in the name of a non-governmental organisation,

Thus wishing to place both protections and restrictions on such organisations,

Hereby,
  1. Defines a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) as an organisation that
    1. is not officially connected to the state
    2. does not mostly rely on financial support from the state
    3. does not seek to make a profit, and
    4. provides a service that is beneficial to society,

2. Prohibits Government from:
    1. Directly managing or otherwise manipulating NGO funds, NGOs may still be taxed.
    2. Mandating the selection of any individual into any position within a NGOs hierarchy or structure, though quotas may still be issued and applied. All anti-discrimination laws would still apply, within reason: an NGO is not required to allow membership or advancement to individuals clearly opposed to it's ideology and values.
    3. Applying different tax rates for any NGO within its jurisdiction.

Initially I thought of this as protection primarily for Religions, but I realized it should be expanded to protect all NGOs. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Arasi Luvasa on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:49 am, edited 17 times in total.
Ambassador Ariela Galadriel Maria Mirase
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:36 am

Arasi Luvasa wrote:The government shall not bring charges up against a newly elected (or nominated) leader of an NGO unless the investigation had been underway for more than a month prior to the announcement. Otherwise the case must be given careful oversight by a court of the World Assembly before charges may be officially pressed. Should the case be denied by this body, charges may not be pressed against the elected and an investigation will be run on the case. All costs for trumped up charges, should they be determined so through the investigation, will be payed by the government.

OOC: This clause completely flies in the face of the principle of equality before the law. It puts up added barriers to prosecution of certain people in comparison to everyone else. You will lose a lot of support from nations because of this clause.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:02 pm

I did not think of that, I'll remove the clause.
Is there some other way to prevent governments from placing trumped up charges against elected/nominated leaders? Or is it an unnecessary protection?
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Draft 1

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:02 pm

Arasi Luvasa wrote:
Recognizing that Non-Government Organisations (henceforth NGOs) play an important role in many societies, whether social or supplementing Welfare.

Understanding that not all nation necessarily welcome NGOs or the activities that take place therein.

Defining NGOs as any non-profit organisation (whether religious or secular) which has no official connection with the government and is not supported by the government. Noting that this does not preclude NGOs from having a political voice or members of NGOs from being connected to the government or a part of the organisation thereof.

Desiring to protect the ability of all NGOs to operate independently from the government, continue to maintain it's own revenue and maintain it's own structures.

To ensure the autonomy of NGOs, the following regulations shall become law in all member nations.
  • The government cannot directly manipulate or manage the funds of an NGO, they may however tax NGOs
  • The government cannot set tax rates for any NGO higher than those of another NGO, and these tax rates may be no higher than those of Private businesses.
  • The government cannot mandate the selection of any member of an NGOs hierarchy, though quotas may still be issued.
  • The government shall not bring charges up against a newly elected (or nominated) leader of an NGO unless the investigation had been underway for more than a month prior to the announcement. Otherwise the case must be given careful oversight by a court of the World Assembly before charges may be officially pressed. Should the case be denied by this body, charges may not be pressed against the elected and an investigation will be run on the case. All costs for trumped up charges, should they be determined so through the investigation, will be payed by the government.
  • A World Assembly court will be set up dedicated to the investigation and oversight of charges brought up against individuals elected or nominated to leadership positions within an NGO.

For the purposes of this law, the state religion in a Theocracy (and potentially a Holy Empire) will be considered a section of the government and thus in not subject to these regulations.

Initially I thought of this as protection primarily for Religions, but I realized it could be expanded to protect all NGOs. Any help would be appreciated.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:14 pm

“I find issue with the fact that all member nations must tax NGOs the same amount. Whilst I can see the reasoning behind this clause, it does pose a lot of problems for states that have a progressive tax rate.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:31 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“I find issue with the fact that all member nations must tax NGOs the same amount. Whilst I can see the reasoning behind this clause, it does pose a lot of problems for states that have a progressive tax rate.”

"I do not believe that your issue exists in draft ambassador"

The government cannot set tax rates for any NGO higher than those of another NGO, and these tax rates may be no higher than those of Private businesses.

"It states that the tax rate for NGO's must be set at a specific standard, not that all member nations must use the same standard. For example it would prevent A from setting NGO1's tax at 15% and NGO2's tax at 95% but it it would not prevent A from setting NGO tax at 15% and B from setting NGO tax at 95% providing business tax in the nation is 95% or greater. Perhaps it could be better worded, we will reflect on this."

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:37 am

OOC
Existing GA legislation bars the WA from intereference with member nations' domestic taxation, so this would be illegal for Contradiction.

Arasi Luvasa wrote:I did not think of that, I'll remove the clause.
Is there some other way to prevent governments from placing trumped up charges against elected/nominated leaders? Or is it an unnecessary protection?

There's a resolution on fair trials.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:49 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC
Existing GA legislation bars the WA from interference with member nations' domestic taxation, so this would be illegal for Contradiction.

Is there any possible measure to prevent government from placing tax rates that essentially prevents NGOs from receiving a income? I'l remove the clause as is but I will try to replace it. I am worried that taxation could be used to evade the clause prohibiting nations from manipulating NGO funds or depriving them of said funds.

EDIT:
Could this not apply to the situation? I admittedly would likely need to remove the section on business tax though.
OOC: I don't read it that way. The clear thinking behind that exception is to allow prohibition of actually discriminatory taxation - e.g. taxing Bigtopians at a higher rate than natural born citizens (taken care of by GAR #35, but a concern upon passage of #17), or taxing gender transition surgery at a higher rate than facelifts and liposuction.
Last edited by Arasi Luvasa on Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Draft 2

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:50 am

Arasi Luvasa wrote:
Recognizing that Non-Government Organisations (henceforth NGOs) play an important role in many societies, whether social or supplementing Welfare.

Understanding that not all nation necessarily welcome NGOs or the activities that take place therein.

Defining NGOs as any non-profit organisation (whether religious or secular) which has no official connection with the government and is not supported by the government. Noting that this does not preclude NGOs from having a political voice or members of NGOs from being connected to the government or a part of the organisation thereof.

Desiring to protect the ability of all NGOs to operate independently from the government, continue to maintain it's own revenue and maintain it's own structures.

To ensure the autonomy of NGOs, the following regulations shall become law in all member nations.
  • The government cannot directly manipulate or manage the funds of an NGO, they may however tax NGOs
  • The government cannot set tax rates for any NGO higher than those of another NGO, and these tax rates may be no higher than those of Private businesses.
  • The government cannot mandate the selection of any member of an NGOs hierarchy, though quotas may still be issued.
  • A World Assembly court will be set up dedicated to the investigation and oversight of charges brought up against individuals elected or nominated to leadership positions within an NGO.

For the purposes of this law, the state religion in a Theocracy (and potentially a Holy Empire) will be considered a section of the government and thus in not subject to these regulations.
Last edited by Arasi Luvasa on Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:27 am

Arasi Luvasa wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:OOC
Existing GA legislation bars the WA from interference with member nations' domestic taxation, so this would be illegal for Contradiction.

Is there any possible measure to prevent government from placing tax rates that essentially prevents NGOs from receiving a income? I'l remove the clause as is but I will try to replace it. I am worried that taxation could be used to evade the clause prohibiting nations from manipulating NGO funds or depriving them of said funds.

EDIT:
Could this not apply to the situation? I admittedly would likely need to remove the section on business tax though.
OOC: I don't read it that way. The clear thinking behind that exception is to allow prohibition of actually discriminatory taxation - e.g. taxing Bigtopians at a higher rate than natural born citizens (taken care of by GAR #35, but a concern upon passage of #17), or taxing gender transition surgery at a higher rate than facelifts and liposuction.

I think that you could legitimately bar member nations taxing one type of NGO (e.g. religions, or political lobbying groups) at a different rate than other types, and that you could definitely ban them taxing any NGO within one of those categories at a different rate from that category's other members. If a government simply wants to tax all NGOs out of existence, though, I'm, afraid that that would have to be allowed.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:53 am

OOC: What Category and strength or area of effect (which it is, depends on the category) would this be going under?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Fascist Jerusalem
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Jerusalem » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:19 am

This violates national sovereignty. Who are you to dictate how a country handles its NGOs?

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:34 am

Fascist Jerusalem wrote:This violates national sovereignty. Who are you to dictate how a country handles its NGOs?

We're the World Assembly. "Violating national sovereignty" is what we do.

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Draft 3

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:17 am

Bears Armed wrote:I think that you could legitimately bar member nations taxing one type of NGO (e.g. religions, or political lobbying groups) at a different rate than other types, and that you could definitely ban them taxing any NGO within one of those categories at a different rate from that category's other members. If a government simply wants to tax all NGOs out of existence, though, I'm, afraid that that would have to be allowed.

I have rewritten it to comply with existent resolutions.

Araraukar wrote:OOC: What Category and strength or area of effect (which it is, depends on the category) would this be going under?

Added that field. I believe it fits best under Furthermore of Democracy. Strength I am slightly more iffy on, but significant seems reasonable.

Sholes
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Agree

Postby Sholes » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:35 am

I find this very smart, and will provide the neccessary protection to NGO's, but the proposal could still use some work in order convince more nations of its merit. Wish I could help more with ideas for the taxation issue, but I'm coming up with a blank at the moment. If I think of anything helpful I'll be sure to come back.

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Draft 4

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:33 pm

Arasi Luvasa wrote:
R
ecognizing that Non-Government Organisations (henceforth NGOs) play an important role in many societies, whether social or supplementing Welfare.

• The government may not directly manage or otherwise manipulate NGO funds*, NGOs may however still be taxed.
  • The government may not mandate the selection of any individual into any position within an NGOs hierarchy or structure, though quotas may still be issued and applied. All anti-discrimination laws would still apply, within reason**.
  • The government may not have different tax rates applied to different NGOs within the same category***.
  • The government may not apply different tax rates to NGOs of different categories***.

*For the purposes of this law, the state religion in a Theocracy (and potentially a Holy Empire) will be considered a section of the government and thus in not subject to these regulations.
**Namely if one is clearly opposed to the basis of the NGO. As examples an atheist attempting to enter a religious hierarchy.
***Categories of NGOs include (but are not limited to): Charity, Religious and Political Lobbying groups.

I have rewritten the preamble. Hopefully it will now seem more professional, and read more smoothly.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:33 am

OOC post.

A slight rewrite for the preamble and definitions, that you can use freely.

The World Assembly,

Applauding the social and cultural benefits to a society by non-governmental organisations, such as welfare and education programs intended to augment the national ones,

Aware that while the World Assembly has made many strides in protecting the rights and responsibilities of the individual, not much has yet been done to protect beneficial organisations from being targeted by [YOU NEED TO PUT YOUR OWN WORDS HERE, AS I'M NOT ENTIRELY CERTAIN WHAT YOU'RE GOING FOR],

Acknowledging potential for abuse - financial as well as individual - and scams conducted in the name of a non-governmental organisation,

Hereby,

Leave mentions of religion completely out of this, scrap any political connection (this is a better fit for Social Justice, though it needs severe rewriting for it), and also place restrictions and responsibilities on NGOs rather than just giving them rights. Additionally, as you can see from my edited definitions, don't completely ban state support for NGOs.

You're too focused on taxation. I'd probably make it a simple one like "Member nations must not tax NGOs more heavily than for-profit organizations of similar financial status" and then focus on the more important things.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Draft 5

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:35 pm

I've implemented your suggestions, I have left the note regarding Theocracies to avoid any implication of an ideological ban.

Arasi Luvasa wrote:

While it is understood that many nations welcome NGOs (Non-Government Organisation) and any diversity of ideas that these organisations may bring, there are nations which do not. NGOs often play an important role in society, this role often manifests as a social force. NGOs may also serve as a source of welfare, education or in service of furthering a political agenda.
While current regulations do attempt to protect many rights, they do fail in assuring autonomy of nations from subversive measures that a nation may employ to suppress certain views.
The aim of this resolution will be to prohibit the viability of governments in undermining an NGOs ability to run its own processes and manage its own upkeep.
For the purposes of this resolution and NGO shall be defined by all the following:
  • An Organisation which is not officially connected to the government
  • An organisation which does not receive its revenue in (in part or in full) from the government
  • An Organisation which does not run with the explicit aim to make a profit, hence expenses should generally be similar to revenue.
This will include most, if not all, religious organisations

Under this resolution, the following legislation shall be applied to all nations within the World Assembly:
  • A government may not directly manage or otherwise manipulate NGO funds*, NGOs may however still be taxed.
  • A government may not mandate the selection of any individual into any position within a NGOs hierarchy or structure, though quotas may still be issued and applied. All anti-discrimination laws would still apply, within reason**.
  • A government may not have different tax rates applied to different NGOs of the same category***within its jurisdiction.
  • A government may not apply different tax rates to NGOs of different categories*** within its jurisdiction.

*For the purposes of this law, the state religion in a Theocracy (and potentially a Holy Empire) will be considered a section of the government and thus in not subject to these regulations.
**Namely if one is clearly opposed to the basis of the NGO. As examples an atheist attempting to enter a religious hierarchy.
***Categories of NGOs include (but are not limited to): Charity, Religious and Political Lobbying groups.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:14 pm

Arasi Luvasa wrote:I've implemented your suggestions, I have left the note regarding Theocracies to avoid any implication of an ideological ban.

OOC: The definition "is not officially connected to the state" means that the national religion of a theocracy wouldn't be affected anyway, since it is officially connected to the state, so you can drop it entirely.

Arasi Luvasa wrote:Aware that while the World Assembly has made many strides in protecting the rights and responsibilities of the individual, not much has yet been done to protect beneficial organisations from being targeted by a the government which may disapprove of some (or all) of the values enshrined by a particular NGO/ a group of NGOs or wish to shut down influential NGOs within its borders through legislation,

OOC still: Being unnecessarily wordy with the preamble is rarely a good idea. Also "may disapprove" isn't really the kind of strong language you want to use when trying to convince others that this is a good idea.
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Draft 6

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:58 am

Indeed, I do need to shake my habit of explaining things to others as though they are stupid. A for the other section, I do tend to ramble. Hopefully it is now more concise.

The World Assembly,

Aware that while the World Assembly has made many strides in protecting the rights and responsibilities of the individual, not much has yet been done to protect beneficial organisations from being targeted by a government which may disapprove of some (or all) of the values enshrined by a particular NGO/ a group of NGOs or wish to shut down influential NGOs within its borders through legislation,

Hereby,

Under this resolution, the following legislation shall be applied to all nations within the World Assembly:
  1. A government may not directly manage or otherwise manipulate NGO funds*, NGOs may however still be taxed.
  2. A government may not mandate the selection of any individual into any position within a NGOs hierarchy or structure, though quotas may still be issued and applied. All anti-discrimination laws would still apply, within reason**.
  3. A government may not set different tax rates for any NGO within its jurisdiction.

**Namely if one is clearly opposed to the basis of the NGO. For example; a xenophobe attempting to enter a refugee centers hierarchy.

Co-Author: Araraukar

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:37 am

Arasi Luvasa wrote:Under this resolution, the following legislation shall be applied to all nations within the World Assembly:

OOC: That's already covered by "The World Assembly" at the start and "Hereby" before the definitions. Also, number your main clauses (definitions are main clause #1 currently) and use list code (with letters instead of numbers) for subclauses only. Makes it neater and avoids lists inside lists.

**Namely if one is clearly opposed to the basis of the NGO. For example; a xenophobe attempting to enter a refugee centers hierarchy.

Don't do these. Put everything you want to put in, into the actual clauses, don't use what is in essence footnotes.

You'd need my permission to do that, and I have no desire to be named co-author on this - at the moment at least, so please remove that. I'm flattered by the offer, don't get me wrong, but the help I give, including any rewrittals, is meant for your use. :)

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Draft 7

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:46 pm

As you wish, Also thank you for your help.

The World Assembly,

Aware that while the World Assembly has made many strides in protecting the rights and responsibilities of the individual, not much has yet been done to protect beneficial organisations from being targeted by the government when it disapproves on the influence represented by said NGO,

Hereby,

1. Government may not directly manage or otherwise manipulate NGO funds, NGOs may however still be taxed.
  2. Government may not mandate the selection of any individual into any position within a NGOs hierarchy or structure, though quotas may still be issued and applied. All anti-discrimination laws would still apply, within reason**.
  3. Government may not set different tax rates for any NGO within its jurisdiction.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:48 am

OOC: I have no idea which draft is the current draft. Please ensure that the current draft is the only one visible in the OP.

General points then:

1) Leave tax out of it altogether. See GAR#17.

2) Just what's so good about NGOs that they should be exempt from company law? EG It's not unreasonable that a person disqualified from being a director of a commercial company also be disqualified from being a director of an NGO.

3) The definition of NGO needs a lot of work. At the moment, a crooked businessman could set up such a thing without the state being able to do anything about it. It might be laid out that it doesn't "seek to make a profit" but then it might accidentally make a profit and yer man laughs all the way to the bank once it has done some small inconsequential thing that benefits society. Perhaps he swept the footpath outside his office one morning.

Essentially I disagree with the premise that just because something is a not for profit it should be free of government oversight. Governments have a legitimate interest in ensuring that anyone who raises funds for purportedly charitable purposes, actually spend that money on the charitable purposes they claim to support. RL evidence points to the whole sector being in desperate need of more regulation and oversight, not less.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:20 am

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: I have no idea which draft is the current draft. Please ensure that the current draft is the only one visible in the OP.

General points then:

1) Leave tax out of it altogether. See GAR#17.

2) Just what's so good about NGOs that they should be exempt from company law? EG It's not unreasonable that a person disqualified from being a director of a commercial company also be disqualified from being a director of an NGO.

3) The definition of NGO needs a lot of work. At the moment, a crooked businessman could set up such a thing without the state being able to do anything about it. It might be laid out that it doesn't "seek to make a profit" but then it might accidentally make a profit and yer man laughs all the way to the bank once it has done some small inconsequential thing that benefits society. Perhaps he swept the footpath outside his office one morning.

Essentially I disagree with the premise that just because something is a not for profit it should be free of government oversight. Governments have a legitimate interest in ensuring that anyone who raises funds for purportedly charitable purposes, actually spend that money on the charitable purposes they claim to support. RL evidence points to the whole sector being in desperate need of more regulation and oversight, not less.

Sorry, what is the OP? Regardless the draft visible in my initial post is the current draft. All those available in the links are previous drafts and the posts containing them are titled according to which variation.

1: I think this was addessed with Bears (replies 6, 7 and 9). As things are, clause 8 of GAR#17 does not necessarily prohibit governments from placing discriminatory taxation policies but merely allows for regulations against said policies. Perhaps I am wrong on what exactly the wording of that clause entails though.

2: I don't believe that this applies to the current iteration. I will add a note addressing the issue tomorrow.

3: Perhaps placing regulations stating that all funds not used for upkeep (including any necessary wages) be funneled into reserve funds or supported charities. I suppose a clause relating to maximum wages within NGOs will also be necessary. Should this suffice.

This resolution is not intended to prevent government oversight and regulation, that is unless the government is attempting to actually manage the finances of the NGO. Compare statements that one may not do A, B or C as compared to actually directing an individual to doing action D. This should still allow regulations that prevent fraud with general stipulations while outlawing a situation where the government is the party actually managing every aspect of how and where funds can be used.

Faltasia
Secretary

Founded: Jan 24, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Faltasia » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:49 am

"religion should have no part of this otherwise good proposal. Also, not to nitpick, but "provides a service that is beneficial to society" may be revised as it is too vague.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly