NATION

PASSWORD

Repeal Assisted Suicide Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Cosmopolitan borovan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopolitan borovan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:17 pm

The General Assembly,

Recognizing that the Assisted Suicide Act states that euthanasia is controversial and sets up every member nation to determine the legal status of euthanasia,

Believing that many patients under mentally and physically debilitating conditions undergo extreme pain and deserves care,

Understanding that the decision by a patient to end one’s own life under an extreme health condition is a grave matter for the health and emotional well-being of the patient,

Comprehending that nations may have religious and moral reasons against euthanasia and assisted suicide and that the decision making process for patients may be hindered by the mental and emotional pain,

Knowing that while it may not be in the best interests for the person to choose to have euthanasia or assisted suicide because of strong will, the reasoning is weaker than when the person undergoes the emotional trauma and when there is little or no possibility of return from the condition,

Further reasons that a patient to decide to have euthanasia or assisted suicide shows whether the patient shows strength,

Elaborating that the health condition is an intimate matter to the patient and that its reasoning is stronger than shown by religious and moral reasons,

Believing it best that the matter should rest in the hands of the patient involved and not be interfered by the state,

Hereby Repeal Assisted Suicide Act.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:23 pm

"Forgive them, Father, they know not what they do."

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:53 pm

I support a WA-wide legalisation of euthanasia. Youth in Asia must be protected.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:24 pm

“Whilst I would like to see WA-wide protection of the eight to self-terminate in the event of extreme, chronic and uncruable pain, I fear making the steps that may lead to it. I believe we may end up having a situation like the current, where a resolution has been repealed to provide decisive legislation on a controversial issue, only for the replacement to then not pass.

There is the risk that nations would vote against a proposal to legalise euthanasia and the result would be a time frame in which there would be no international legislation on this issue at all. This would be until we then pass an indecisive, compromise resolution and are no further than where we started.

If this comes to vote, we will most likely abstain. Voting for would be inviting a void of international legislation on this important issue, yet voting against would be supporting the lack of freedoms criminalising euthanasia entails.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:25 am

Vehemently opposed.

Martin Russell
Chief Ambassador, Auralian Mission to the World Assembly
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:09 am

"Opposed. There need not to be another situation as we have going on surrounding capital punishment. The 'Assisted Suicide Act' is more than adequate, anyhow."
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:14 am

Opposed.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Cosmopolitan borovan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopolitan borovan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:18 am

It would be disappointing to be back at square one and as such I do not intend to continue further

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Cosmopolitan borovan wrote:It would be disappointing to be back at square one and as such I do not intend to continue further

Then write both and do a repeal replace.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:46 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Cosmopolitan borovan wrote:It would be disappointing to be back at square one and as such I do not intend to continue further

Then write both and do a repeal replace.

"How exactly does a 'repeal replace' work and how would one go about proposing it?"
Ambassador Ariela Galadriel Maria Mirase
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:48 pm

It's a repeal. Then a replace. Two separate resolutions. If you want to discuss that more, telegram me.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly