NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] International Bankruptcy Protocol

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Richonne
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Richonne » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:40 pm

Oppose.

If you owe someone you pay them period. Failure to pay in Richonne gives the creditor the right to ask the courts to impose a 90% lien on all income. If you flea you will be hunted down and dragged back, you will be jailed for evasion and all property will be confiscated and sold at auction, any Zombies left over after paying off your creditors will then go to the government coffers.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:16 am

Richonne wrote:Oppose.

If you owe someone you pay them period. Failure to pay in Richonne gives the creditor the right to ask the courts to impose a 90% lien on all income. If you flea you will be hunted down and dragged back, you will be jailed for evasion and all property will be confiscated and sold at auction, any Zombies left over after paying off your creditors will then go to the government coffers.

"Ambassador, since you seem to lack any useful conception of bankruptcy policy, and because you have no interest in useful conversation, neither your opinion nor your vote is wanted. If you must be heard, I suppose I could lend you empty glass bottles to slap together. The resulting din would be just as productive."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:50 am

Ooc: since nobody does research, I updated the OP.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed May 06, 2020 5:27 pm

Bump

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed May 06, 2020 10:07 pm

First, may you extend section 6(a)'s exemption for unpaid taxes to all unpaid government debts, including tax penalties and fines?

Second, will you drop the term "res judicata effect" and replace it with "preclusive effect"?

There's no need to be showy, Ambassador. :p
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:52 am

Christian Democrats wrote:First, may you extend section 6(a)'s exemption for unpaid taxes to all unpaid government debts, including tax penalties and fines?

Second, will you drop the term "res judicata effect" and replace it with "preclusive effect"?

There's no need to be showy, Ambassador. :p

"I am unsure that I want to extend protection for fines and penalties beyond the underlying amount at the risk of addressing other creditors, as that would incentivize government use of fines to harangue creditors. However, I cannot say that this concern is terribly great. I'd be willing to discuss it further. In light of many states' willingness to use taxation powers with a less than even hand, why ought government fines and penalties not be stayed pending a reasonable restructuring period?

"Your second point is well taken, and I will remove res judicata in my next pass of edits."

Ooc: I know I keep not submitting this. Life keeps...life-ing. I really want to submit it, promise!
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:37 am

“We hope the Separatist delegation have invested in headache medication given the tenor of this debate if this is pushed to a vote,” Júlía Maria observes with a wry smile.

“As to substantive comment I’m afraid we have little as this is a frustratingly solid draft.

“Two questions. First, I’m confused by the wording of Article 9. a time limit on the number … what does that mean in practice? That they can set a time limit within which a certain number of claims can be enforced? It seems to mix…” Júlía Maria fumbles for the proper wording, “…properties? To conflate both ‘time’ and ‘number’. But it may not matter if the meaning is clear and simply escaping this doddery old economist.

“Second. After setting out the definitions, the resolution proceeds to discuss a foreign bankruptcy proceeding. Here’s my concern, admittedly more hypothetical at this stage. What if a foreign bankruptcy lacks procedural fairness (setting aside, for the moment, the question of how that could given all the various legal fairness resolutions the General Assembly has passed)? We don’t have a harmonized bankruptcy code and it is conceivable that another country’s bankruptcy laws are not procedurally fair. Is this a valid concern, or is it something that, in concert with those other resolutions on legal fairness, is unlikely to arise?

“We’re really reaching for something to oppose for no reason than to dust the cobwebs off, and as written this would likely have our support – subject to the back-office gremlins giving it a fine-tooth going over.”

-- Júlía Maria Jónsdóttir
Economic Advisor to the Græntfjall WA Mission
Solo: IBC30, WCoH42, HWC25, U18WC16, CoH85, WJHC20
Co-host: CR36, BoF74, CoH80, BoF77, WC91
Champions: BoF73, CoH80, U18WC15, DBC52, WC91, CR41, VWE15, HWC27, EC15
Co-champions of the first and second Elephant Chess Cups with Bollonich
Runners-up: DBC49, EC10, HWC25, CR42
The White Winter Queendom of Græntfjall

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:59 pm

OOC: DW, IRL > NS always. I look forward to voting FOR this when it makes it to vote. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:11 pm

Graintfjall wrote:“Two questions. First, I’m confused by the wording of Article 9. a time limit on the number … what does that mean in practice? That they can set a time limit within which a certain number of claims can be enforced? It seems to mix…” Júlía Maria fumbles for the proper wording, “…properties? To conflate both ‘time’ and ‘number’. But it may not matter if the meaning is clear and simply escaping this doddery old economist.

"My intent is to allow nations to bar repeat bankruptcy claims by a party within too short a time. In the C.D.S.P., for example, there is a moratorium of 7 year period in which an individual may not file for bankruptcy under the same chapter. I don't mean to drone on about C.D.S.P. legalisms, but there are five different kinds of bankruptcy, and it is theoretically possible to file under a different chapter and follow different rules, but this is not always the case elsewhere. Suffice to say, it is to allow nations to take measures preventing repeated bankruptcy claims to the detriment of bona fide creditors."

“Second. After setting out the definitions, the resolution proceeds to discuss a foreign bankruptcy proceeding. Here’s my concern, admittedly more hypothetical at this stage. What if a foreign bankruptcy lacks procedural fairness (setting aside, for the moment, the question of how that could given all the various legal fairness resolutions the General Assembly has passed)? We don’t have a harmonized bankruptcy code and it is conceivable that another country’s bankruptcy laws are not procedurally fair. Is this a valid concern, or is it something that, in concert with those other resolutions on legal fairness, is unlikely to arise?

"That is eminently reasonable as a concern, and one that I considered. I decided that, regardless of the subjective fairness of a procedure (after all, a communist country may consider no creditor protection fair), where the substantial part of a collection of assets remains in one nation, it is eminently more efficient to enforce that nation's law over a smaller part of assets that are, by mere happenstance, in another nation. As such, creditors needn't worry about a debtor using foreign jurisdictions to conceal assets and frustrate the lending process, which disincentivizes otherwise manageable risk. It also allows debtors to initiate only one complicated proceeding, allowing them to avail themselves of bankruptcy protections more readily.

"That unjust laws may be applied beyond their jurisdiction is a risk, but I consider that the harm of those laws being enforced is outweighed by the greater risk of nations either refusing comity, thus requiring multi-jurisdictional proceedings as a hindrance to both debtors and creditors, or selectively enforcing foreign laws in a way that makes the process entirely uncertain for all parties involved."

“We’re really reaching for something to oppose for no reason than to dust the cobwebs off, and as written this would likely have our support – subject to the back-office gremlins giving it a fine-tooth going over.”

"Given the lack of genuine substantive debate on this, ambassador, I do not begrudge you the review at all."

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:10 am

Welp, I gave it my best shot. But you're literally a lawyer and I'm literally not, so no way I'll be able to go toe-to-toe with you on this.

“Thank you for the response. We will consider our position but absent any stronger argument our delegation is unlikely to oppose this measure – and probably just as unlikely to stick around for the debate. Gangi þér vel!

-- Júlía Maria Jónsdóttir
Solo: IBC30, WCoH42, HWC25, U18WC16, CoH85, WJHC20
Co-host: CR36, BoF74, CoH80, BoF77, WC91
Champions: BoF73, CoH80, U18WC15, DBC52, WC91, CR41, VWE15, HWC27, EC15
Co-champions of the first and second Elephant Chess Cups with Bollonich
Runners-up: DBC49, EC10, HWC25, CR42
The White Winter Queendom of Græntfjall

Attancia
Attaché

Founded: May 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Attancia » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:01 am

No, fuck the poor.
"If I had a nickel for every time Attancia attempted to use the media to get the Furbish public on his side but backfired miserably I'd have two nickels...Which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice" -Furbish Islands

"Attancia proved last night that he isn't a clown" -Furbish Islands

"Attancia is slightly less retarded now" -I forgot the name someone in TL discord once

Also...Attancia types too well to be 13, if I'm honest. Something doesn't add up. -Fluvannia

Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019

Postby Barfleur » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:17 am

Attancia wrote:No, fuck the poor.

What a constructive, thought-out response.
Besides, it isn't just the poor who go bankrupt.
From Snopes: "Many of the United States’ largest and most prominent businesses have filed for (and emerged from) Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection one or more times, including General Motors, Charter Communications, Delta Air Lines, Kmart, Macy’s, and the Texas Rangers baseball team."
Last edited by Barfleur on Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Attancia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Attancia » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:17 am

Barfleur wrote:

It isn't just the poor who go bankrupt.
From Snopes: "Many of the United States’ largest and most prominent businesses have filed for (and emerged from) Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection one or more times, including General Motors, Charter Communications, Delta Air Lines, Kmart, Macy’s, and the Texas Rangers baseball team."

Fuck the poor specifically.
"If I had a nickel for every time Attancia attempted to use the media to get the Furbish public on his side but backfired miserably I'd have two nickels...Which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice" -Furbish Islands

"Attancia is slightly less retarded now" -I forgot the name someone in TL discord once

Also...Attancia types too well to be 13, if I'm honest. Something doesn't add up. -Fluvannia

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:19 am

Attancia wrote:
Barfleur wrote:It isn't just the poor who go bankrupt.

Even if a poor person files for bankruptcy with less frequency than a business?
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Attancia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Attancia » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:20 am

Barfleur wrote:
Attancia wrote:Fuck the poor specifically.

Even if a poor person files for bankruptcy with less frequency than a business?

They're poor, so fuck them.

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:23 am

Attancia wrote:
Barfleur wrote:Even if a poor person files for bankruptcy with less frequency than a business?

"I echo the sentiments of the Separatist Ambassador"
Separatist Peoples wrote:
Richonne wrote:Oppose.

"Ambassador, since you seem to lack any useful conception of bankruptcy policy, and because you have no interest in useful conversation, neither your opinion nor your vote is wanted. If you must be heard, I suppose I could lend you empty glass bottles to slap together. The resulting din would be just as productive."
Co-author, GA#534.

Attancia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Attancia » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:26 am

Barfleur wrote:
Attancia wrote:They're poor, so fuck them.

"I echo the sentiments of the Separatist Ambassador"

First of all, I'm OOC. Secondly, I don't know if you can tell, but I'm being ironic. It should be obvious.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:28 pm

Attancia wrote:
Barfleur wrote:"I echo the sentiments of the Separatist Ambassador"

First of all, I'm OOC. Secondly, I don't know if you can tell, but I'm being ironic. It should be obvious.

Ooc: one post? Maybe. Several? Unlikely.

This is an IC forum. if you want to spout drivel about hating the poor OOCly, go to General. If you want to do it as a WA Ambassador, do me a solid and just don't. Not on my drafting thread.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:53 am

Attancia wrote:
Barfleur wrote:It isn't just the poor who go bankrupt.

Attancia wrote:
Barfleur wrote:Even if a poor person files for bankruptcy with less frequency than a business?

Attancia wrote:
Barfleur wrote:"I echo the sentiments of the Separatist Ambassador"

First of all, no you're not. You're just breaking the rules. Despite what the pseudo-satirists of the internet would have you believe, "irony" does not mean behaving as unpleasantly as you desire and then scoffing and rolling your eyes when people have the reasonable negative reaction to it. That's certainly not how it works here. Second of all, this is an IC thread, either engage properly don't post here.

Unofficial warning for spam and trolling. Take the time to read the rules and understand the forum mechanics, or you will have a short visit on this website.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:04 pm

OOC: This has been submitted.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:43 am

“This seems to be a well-written and sensible measure. It has my support.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Barfleur
Ambassador

Postby Barfleur » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:57 am

"I intend to fully support this once it comes to vote."

OOC: Maybe change [DRAFT] to [SUBMITTED]
Co-author, GA#534.

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:22 pm

“Ambassador, this proposal threatens the integrity of isolationist socialism. Opposed.”

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:24 pm

Comfed wrote:“Ambassador, this proposal threatens the integrity of isolationist socialism. Opposed.”

"Ambassador, if your nation is isolationist, how will foreign debtors and creditors have done business with your people in the first place?"

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:33 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Comfed wrote:“Ambassador, this proposal threatens the integrity of isolationist socialism. Opposed.”

"Ambassador, if your nation is isolationist, how will foreign debtors and creditors have done business with your people in the first place?"

“Perhaps I should correct an error in my statement. Our nation is socialist, to be sure, but we are not fully isolationist. If people are insolvent in our country we would prefer to retain the right to go after them.”
Last edited by Comfed on Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives