NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Command Responsibility

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kyoki Chudoku
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 28, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Kyoki Chudoku » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:06 pm

Tokiko did her best to keep under control. Talking about the war was fine, but when people accusatory about it...any Chudokuren would be enraged. ”It’s an extenuating circumstance, I admit that much. But the fact of the matter remains. If we had entirely abided by WA regulations, I wouldn’t be here to make this argument, because the entire nation would be dead. You wouldn’t understand, you haven’t faced them. Surrender? I’m sure a couple of our commanders tried to accept their surrender. Every single enemy surrender nothing more than a plot to ambush us. I can’t call what we did to them crimes against humanity, because I can’t even call them human. I’m not expectin’ many people to back me up here. None of them have had to endure the Nightmare. I’d just rather not have us deal with half a million court martials.”
This nation exists for fun and insanity, not to represent my actual views which are much more mundane and boring.
Also, I don't use NS stats. So please ignore them.
Current Status (yes, I'm bad at keeping this updated): Immaterial

TG me for a free cookie. May contain traces of hydrogen cyanide.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:10 pm

Kyoki Chudoku wrote:Tokiko did her best to keep under control. Talking about the war was fine, but when people accusatory about it...any Chudokuren would be enraged. ”It’s an extenuating circumstance, I admit that much. But the fact of the matter remains. If we had entirely abided by WA regulations, I wouldn’t be here to make this argument, because the entire nation would be dead. You wouldn’t understand, you haven’t faced them. Surrender? I’m sure a couple of our commanders tried to accept their surrender. Every single enemy surrender nothing more than a plot to ambush us. I can’t call what we did to them crimes against humanity, because I can’t even call them human. I’m not expectin’ many people to back me up here. None of them have had to endure the Nightmare. I’d just rather not have us deal with half a million court martials.”

"This is all special pleading, and utterly beneath my attention, ambassador. Your entire argument is predicated on "but what if its reeeeeally bad?" That's never a worthwhile argument against laws of war, and more than its a reason to ignore any other law. Your vote against is noted."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Kyoki Chudoku
Diplomat

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Kyoki Chudoku » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:18 pm

Tokiko shrugged. ”I’ll concede it’s probably beneath your attention. Unfortunately, I can’t same the same about my own attention. But arguin’ over it’s gonna get us nowhere, so let me focus elsewhere. I’m guessin’ that this resolution only applies to events that take place after its approval if that happens? Or does it affect prior cases? Also, I have very major concerns over the whole not bein’ able to put objections in a service record. Like it or not, a service record exists to provide a record of someone’s activities, and I think somethin’ like this is perfectly justified as bein’ included in one. It already says we can’t penalise ‘em, so what’s the point of hiding it?”
This nation exists for fun and insanity, not to represent my actual views which are much more mundane and boring.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:37 pm

Kyoki Chudoku wrote:Tokiko shrugged. ”I’ll concede it’s probably beneath your attention. Unfortunately, I can’t same the same about my own attention. But arguin’ over it’s gonna get us nowhere, so let me focus elsewhere. I’m guessin’ that this resolution only applies to events that take place after its approval if that happens? Or does it affect prior cases? Also, I have very major concerns over the whole not bein’ able to put objections in a service record. Like it or not, a service record exists to provide a record of someone’s activities, and I think somethin’ like this is perfectly justified as bein’ included in one. It already says we can’t penalise ‘em, so what’s the point of hiding it?”

"Penalties are more than just official reprimands. Those soldiers who refuse an illegal order may not be cashiered out of service, but may find themselves passed over for promotion by uninvolved parties who think they know better, given unpleasant duties, or excluded from meritorious assignments. Military service is full of ways to ruin a career unofficially. By removing any record, the soldier is better insulated from the stigma. Further, I'm not entirely sure what purpose it serves to record this if not to find unofficial ways to evade the protections in this proposal. Given your previous resistance, it strikes me as likely that you're looking for a loophole."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Kyoki Chudoku
Diplomat

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Kyoki Chudoku » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:47 pm

”I’m not lookin’ for a loophole. I’d just rather we know as much pertinent detail about our soldiers as possible. Kyoki Chudoku’s military has a lot of unusual psychological conditions goin’ on, and ethics is extensively varied. Objecting to an order, even if it is justified, is important, and due to the nature of our political system, the higher-ups are inevitably going to find out regardless. That’s just in our case though. Don’t see it happenin’ everywhere. The main issue is that we prefer to keep extensive records of legal information to keep track of everything, and that’s made difficult when the people who need the info most aren’t allowed to see it. Maybe it’s not important to you, but it is to some of us. I get where the idea comes from, but nonetheless, a soldier of all people should be able to be transparent about these things.”

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:49 pm

Kyoki Chudoku wrote:I get where the idea comes from, but nonetheless, a soldier of all people should be able to be transparent about these things.”

"Not if that information is used to punish."

Kyoki Chudoku
Diplomat

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Kyoki Chudoku » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:54 pm

”I don’t think I’m gettin’ anywhere. Ah well. I guess we have different ideas on how this should work. I wouldn’t so much if this proposal weren’t threatenin’ to force us into it, but that’s the price of being in this organisation in the first place I guess.”

Vaxian Imperium
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaxian Imperium » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:59 pm

"I have full confidence in the Military Tribunal when it comes to matters of the officer staff, I of course review every case made and deal with it appropriately. I do not need the world assembly further encroaching their laws on my nation"

-Vaktus
NS stats are not used

Old Hope
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:05 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Kyoki Chudoku wrote:Tokiko did her best to keep under control. Talking about the war was fine, but when people accusatory about it...any Chudokuren would be enraged. ”It’s an extenuating circumstance, I admit that much. But the fact of the matter remains. If we had entirely abided by WA regulations, I wouldn’t be here to make this argument, because the entire nation would be dead. You wouldn’t understand, you haven’t faced them. Surrender? I’m sure a couple of our commanders tried to accept their surrender. Every single enemy surrender nothing more than a plot to ambush us. I can’t call what we did to them crimes against humanity, because I can’t even call them human. I’m not expectin’ many people to back me up here. None of them have had to endure the Nightmare. I’d just rather not have us deal with half a million court martials.”

"This is all special pleading, and utterly beneath my attention, ambassador. Your entire argument is predicated on "but what if its reeeeeally bad?" That's never a worthwhile argument against laws of war, and more than its a reason to ignore any other law. Your vote against is noted."

It is not a trivial fact that often an enemy will be NOT part of the WA and can thus use all non-permitted tactics.
It's not, however, a good argument against this resolution. It is a good argument for replacing existing resolutions with versions that are not open up to excessive abuse by non-members.
However, it is right that if e.g. a third of the population has committed war crimes during a conflict then prosecution and imprisonment of these all is... problematic.
Last edited by Old Hope on Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The format wars are a waste of time.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:09 pm

Old Hope wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"This is all special pleading, and utterly beneath my attention, ambassador. Your entire argument is predicated on "but what if its reeeeeally bad?" That's never a worthwhile argument against laws of war, and more than its a reason to ignore any other law. Your vote against is noted."

It is not a trivial fact that often an enemy will be NOT part of the WA and can thus use all non-permitted tactics.
It's not, however, a good argument against this resolution. It is a good argument for replacing existing resolutions with versions that are not open up to excessive abuse by non-members.

"Enabling tit-for-tat retribution is a terrible reason to repeal anything."

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:15 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Enabling tit-for-tat retribution is a terrible reason to repeal anything."

"It seems that you belong to a minority of states that would like to open the floodgates for non-WA nations to subdue WA nations via unfair tactics."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:20 pm

Old Hope wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Enabling tit-for-tat retribution is a terrible reason to repeal anything."

"It seems that you belong to a minority of states that would like to open the floodgates for non-WA nations to subdue WA nations via unfair tactics."

"If your military cannot win a war without resorting immediately to barbarism, then it's not much of a military force, now is it? The C.D.S.P. has fought almost exclusively against nonmember forces, and yet find itself perfectly capable of rising to the occasion. This is a facile argument."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:35 pm

Strategic supremacy is eminently possible without resorting to war crimes.
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:36 pm

Old Hope wrote:"It seems that you belong to a minority of states that would like to open the floodgates for non-WA nations to subdue WA nations via unfair tactics."

"If your military cannot win a war without resorting immediately to barbarism, then it's not much of a military force, now is it? The C.D.S.P. has fought almost exclusively against nonmember forces, and yet find itself perfectly capable of rising to the occasion. This is a facile argument."

"We checked the passed resolutions and we only found one that might unduly constrain member nations in conflicts - the one mentioned by Ambassador Tokiko. We conclude that this proposal should pass, and that the other resolution should be repealed."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:41 pm

Old Hope wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"If your military cannot win a war without resorting immediately to barbarism, then it's not much of a military force, now is it? The C.D.S.P. has fought almost exclusively against nonmember forces, and yet find itself perfectly capable of rising to the occasion. This is a facile argument."

"We checked the passed resolutions and we only found one that might unduly constrain member nations in conflicts - the one mentioned by Ambassador Tokiko. We conclude that this proposal should pass, and that the other resolution should be repealed."

Bell, reviewing the record, quirks an eyebrow, "Which resolution is that?"

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:56 pm

Old Hope wrote:"We checked the passed resolutions and we only found one that might unduly constrain member nations in conflicts - the one mentioned by Ambassador Tokiko. We conclude that this proposal should pass, and that the other resolution should be repealed."

Bell, reviewing the record, quirks an eyebrow, "Which resolution is that?"

"We started an early draft, ambassador, that you may see elsewhere. But we think that the continuation of this discussion in this draft room does not benefit the discussion about your proposal, ambassador."

Elyreia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 29, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Elyreia » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:29 pm

The Elyreian Military has yet to send its Korze fighter-bombers into any foreign engagements, but I believe there are ways to win wars without resorting to war crimes.

As it stands, the Elyreian court system already tries anyone who breaks our own Code of Honourable Combat (Tembyr hen Riglevat Vīlībāzma) quite harshly. We see no real different with this legislation other than perhaps updating what is honourable.
The Principality of Elyreia (Dārilarostegun Elyreia)
The Principality of Elyreia Wiki

World Assembly Ambassador: Dārilaros Korus Vaelans
Uncrowned Head of the House of Vaelans-Volaria
[he/him/she/her/they/them]
(Character Dossier)

Dreadton
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 04, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Dreadton » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:51 pm

Until war crimes and atrocities are defined within the resolution Dreadton must take a position against this resolution. Unclear resolutions lead to troubling and bad results.
Just a Shameless Nobody.

All post are representations of the policy and opinions of the nation of Dreadton and not official TNP policy, unless specifically noted

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:49 pm

Dreadton wrote:Until war crimes and atrocities are defined within the resolution Dreadton must take a position against this resolution. Unclear resolutions lead to troubling and bad results.

"There are any number of other resolutions delineating precisely what conduct is considered a war crime, ambassador. Though even if there weren't, I find it both unlikely and off-putting that you honestly consider that a deal breaker. War is hell, but it's a hell that civilized beings can and should try to protect innocents from. And it doesn't take much imagination to figure out what sort of conduct falls in that category."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Bona Fidia
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Bona Fidia » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:50 pm

While I appreciate the proposed codification, I fail to see why it is subtitled the thing about increasing police and military spending. Otherwise I support. IRL increasing police spending generally means militarizing them which I absolutely DO NOT support. Would someone be so kind as to send me a telegram explaining what ethical, correct behavior has to do with economics? Thank you in advance.

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:17 pm

This it at vote.
Author of GA #455
Favourite Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9iYAsoX5t8
Aspiring Issue Author (6-times-failed)
Ban Abortion!

"A person's a person, no matter how small."

Choose love over death!

Iciaros
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 30, 2014
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Iciaros » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:26 pm

"My apologies for coming in so late to the game, Ambassador. I would like to convey that my sovereign has unequivocally approved of your proposal and instructed me to cast a favourable vote, which I have done. I appreciate the consequences this proposal means to enforce against those who may seek refuge in the defence of compliance with malicious authority.

"That said, I would like to clarify a particular point. My understanding of your proposal is that it purports to create a criminal offence directly under international law, rather than instructing member states to implement domestic legislation criminalising the practice. I must confess that I am somewhat inexperienced when it comes to the interpretation of resolutions, but I understand that violations of international law would be addressed in the Compliance Commission (under #GAR390) and the Independent Adjudicative Office (under GAR#440). However, upon a reading of these resolutions, it seems to me that these organisations are meant to address violations of, or non-compliance with, international law by state parties, rather than individuals within states. If this is correct (which of course, I would hardly rely on), would there a body responsible for the enforcement of the international law your proposal purports to create?

"Thank you for your time and your patience, Ambassador."
Iciaros' Q&A: Ask whatever you want!

New Imperial Order of Iciaros
Sovereign | Heir | Chief Ambassador | Grand Admiral | Grand General
High Fantasy, Absolute Monarchy. PMT/FT on this scale. Current Year: 726 AA.
NationStates stats and policies are non-canon. Refer to factbooks for accurate information.
Welcome to the spoiler! ^.^ You are a great person and you should love yourself!
I go by Icia or Ici, pronoun she. I'm a hopeful writer and hopeless law student. Also, I'm afraid of basically everything.
I can't make everyone be nice to each other, but I can at least try to be nice myself.
Does my nation reflect my beliefs? Well, it's complicated.

Vaxian Imperium
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaxian Imperium » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:36 am

“It appears as if this foolish law is going to pass....no matter most of our wars aren’t even wars...they’re pest control and our dear soldiers are merely getting rid of pests”

Vaktus
NS stats are not used

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:22 am

Vaxian Imperium wrote:“It appears as if this foolish law is going to pass....no matter most of our wars aren’t even wars...they’re pest control and our dear soldiers are merely getting rid of pests”

Vaktus

“I wouldn’t be so sure, as there are still three days left of vote. I hope the WA does pass this legislation, but there have been changes bigger than this before. Also, wars are not pest control, they are ‘a consensual act between two or more nation-states’, according to GA #2.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Samaster
Secretary

Founded: Jan 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Samaster » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:31 am

I have to fire my commanders? This is outrageous!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives