NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Action On Bribery

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:01 pm

Dawn Kingdom wrote:Why not use corruption to... depose traitors(even if they didn't deserve)

Yet you have the audacity to claim that you don't like this proposal because it will "depose dictatorships?" :roll:
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Dawn Kingdom
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dawn Kingdom » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:14 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
Dawn Kingdom wrote:Why not use corruption to... depose traitors(even if they didn't deserve)

Yet you have the audacity to claim that you don't like this proposal because it will "depose dictatorships?" :roll:

Deposing dictatorships is different from deposing traitorous citizens.
Last edited by Dawn Kingdom on Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Min
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Min » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:30 pm

Dawn Kingdom wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:Yet you have the audacity to claim that you don't like this proposal because it will "depose dictatorships?" :roll:

"Very good, Mr Ambassador."
MINISTER OF WORLD ASSEMBLY AFFAIRS
of The People's Republic of The Communist Bloc

Central Committee member
Justice on The People's Tribunal

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:33 pm

“I’d still recommend changing the title to emphasize bribery, since that is the main focus, never hurt to be specific”
Last edited by Aureumterra on Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:36 pm

Dawn Kingdom wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:Yet you have the audacity to claim that you don't like this proposal because it will "depose dictatorships?" :roll:

OOC: Never have truer words been spoken. :roll:
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:02 pm

Dawn Kingdom wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Because it truly isn't the best way of ruling a nation. It is inherently inefficient, and puts the means of governance out of the reach of the poor or poorly connected by arbitrarily increasing the transactional cost of governing."

Arbitrary isn't the best trait of ruler, but if you judge everyone justly it would cause more turmoil. Why not use corruption to ensure safety of loyal and influential people and depose traitors(even if they didn't deserve). Corruption won't give you ability to thrive in economy, but if you can regulate it then be sure that corrution will benefit governments.

"Alternatively, you can run your nation in a way that obviates the need to deal harshly with traitors, which does not generate turmoil, and which inspires a loyal people without the need to buy them off or threaten them into supporting you. You seem to believe that one can have a stable government or a stable economy. The C.D.S.P. is proof that you can have both. As usual, your insight travels as far as the the end of your nose, ambassador."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

New Min
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Min » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:38 am

OOC: Based on all feedback, I have uploaded a new version of the draft (almost completely based on the rewrite Tinhampton made). Also, I changed the title of the draft. I am looking forward to any more feedback.

Central Committee member

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:47 am

It’s looking real good now, maybe change the strength to “strong” since you're mandating, and bribery is a large issue that needs to be tackled.
Last edited by Aureumterra on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:49 am

Aureumterra wrote:It’s looking real good now, maybe change the strength to “strong” since your mandating, and bribery is a large issue that needs to be tackled.

OOC: Hmm, would it be significant or strong? Might need a passing GenSec member to weigh in.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

New Min
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Min » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:55 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:It’s looking real good now, maybe change the strength to “strong” since your mandating, and bribery is a large issue that needs to be tackled.

OOC: Hmm, would it be significant or strong? Might need a passing GenSec member to weigh in.

OOC: The category itself isn't sure yet. I have talked with Sierra Lyricalia and he/she will come back with an answer soon.
Last edited by New Min on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Central Committee member

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:37 pm

Bears Armed wrote:OOC
This is not 'Political Stability'.

OOC: I don't think it's that clear.

The Rules wrote:Total Political Freedoms represent something akin to pure democracies, where every single citizen has a direct vote in every single matter. Zero Political Freedoms means that the citizens (or subjects, or slaves) have no say in the operations of government whatsoever. Imposing regulation on campaign finances is a mild form of reducing Political Freedoms.
(emphasis mine)

Based on stats, a resolution gutting bribery in nations where bribery is a way of life is Political Stability. Remember that political freedoms don't just number "good" things like an individual right to vote or the right to distribute a newsletter expounding your views. If some of these rights are a little bit of freedom, then more of them is a lot of freedom - so you have the right to vote as many times as you want, or the right to buy as much media time as you can afford getting your preferred candidate elected. This is why on your nation page, your political freedoms increase from "World Benchmark" to 'Excessive" and, in turn, "Widely Abused" and "Corrupted." Reigning in those corrupt moneybags and their pet politicians and bureaucrats is statistically a loss of political freedoms, even while in RL terms regular people benefit from increased political power.

But depending on how the state is set up, it's not just tycoons who lose power with the abolition of bribery. If there is a broad "middle class" of people who are used to greasing palms to live a reasonably well-ordered and prosperous life, those people will now suddenly be treated the same as the peons they look down on. The extent to which those peons now have more power within the system is necessarily less than the fall suffered by the middle class. If institutions suddenly start working as they say they're designed, everyone now has to fill out all the paperwork and navigate the bureaucracy and it still takes a long time. Granted, "a long time" is a new innovation for most applicants that is clearly (if marginally) better than Never; but the middle class still experiences this as a loss of power and it will take the lower class some amount of time to 1) internalize the fact of their new powers (cynicism reduction), and 2) learn the aforementioned bureaucratic navigation (application of political freedoms).

But, sez you, stopping bribes is definitely Furtherment of Democracy by the WA's own precedent! Just look at GAR #427 (the "Convention on Foreign Political Corruption")! Obviously that means a law against domestic bribes must also be FoD, right?

Except for two things. First, GAR #248 "Against Corruption" was filed as Political Stability, presumably because of the exact same logic I laid out above; and GAR #427 outlaws bribes by foreigners - thus increasing the political power of domestic persons of all classes, whether they engage in bribery or not! CoFPC explicitly has no effect on domestic bribery, and so could only have been filed as FoD.

So I can see the argument for making this FoD, but there's also a perfectly good argument, rooted in precedent and game mechanics, for PS as well.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:28 am

OOC: Bearing in mind that the scope of [at least] clauses 1, 2, & 4, isn't limited to politicians & public officials, I'd make a case for Moral Decency.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

The Superior Peoples
Civilian

Founded: Aug 26, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Superior Peoples » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:16 am

Strong disagree! Corruption should be ENCOURAGED, not made illegal.

Hail the Confederation!

New Min
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Min » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 am

The Superior Peoples wrote:Strong disagree! Corruption should be ENCOURAGED, not made illegal.

Hail the Confederation!

"I am not interested in the opinion of some Confederation lackey."

Central Committee member

New Min
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Min » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:59 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC: Bearing in mind that the scope of [at least] clauses 1, 2, & 4, isn't limited to politicians & public officials, I'd make a case for Moral Decency.

OOC: I have set MD as the category.

Central Committee member

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:24 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC: Bearing in mind that the scope of [at least] clauses 1, 2, & 4, isn't limited to politicians & public officials, I'd make a case for Moral Decency.

OOC: If that's the criterion you're going by, then this should be Free Trade, since bribes most immediately count as barriers to commerce. The major effect on society of bribes isn't the recipients getting free stuff, it's those who bribe getting big advantages (making this Political Stability) and those who don't or can't bribe being shut out of politics and out of fair contract bidding (making this either Furtherment of Democracy or Free Trade depending on the emphasis). Sure, giving and receiving bribes is morally wrong in societies not run according to feudalism, but the reasons for pay-to-play laws are the pragmatic ones involving taxpayers getting the most for any expenditure of public money.

I do try to be category-tolerant, but MD for rooting out corruption is a bridge too far.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:25 am

“I question the veracity of the ‘Believing’ clause. It offers up no option for this being merely a likely outcome, and ignores very plausible circumstances. For example, some corrupt individuals may demand bribery in order to complete simply administrative tasks that are good to be done, just not through extortion.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:27 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:

OOC: If that's the criterion you're going by, then this should be Free Trade, since bribes most immediately count as barriers to commerce.

OOC
Also a possibility, I agree, and arguably okay even with the current wording... but for any of the four potentially-valid categories, I think that the preamble -- and possibly the operative clauses as well-- should be modified to place more emphasis on the relevant aspect.
After all, as currently written it would even apply in cases such as a police patrolman taking minor bribes from local shopkeepers & purveyors of services to overlook their dealing in illegal goods or services (e.g. the butcher running a 'Numbers' operation out of his shop, who gives the cop a free joint of meat every weekend; or the grocer who, in an officially 'dry' nation,gives the cop an occasional bottle of the alcoholic beverages that he secretly imports [or even produces] & sells): If those businesses don't have local rivals, so that it's official suppression alone rather than competition as well from which they're buying protection then preventing those bribes & enforcing the law against the associated activities would technically cause a reduction in Free Trade.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

New Min
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Min » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:20 am

OOC: I have changed the entire preamble, based on all feedback.

Central Committee member

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:00 am

“Clause 1b should end with a comma. Also, the first two perambulatory lines begin with the same opening verb - believing - which is somewhat annoying. However, I am in favour of the reworked version.”
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

New Min
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Min » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:13 am

Kenmoria wrote:“Clause 1b should end with a comma. Also, the first two perambulatory lines begin with the same opening verb - believing - which is somewhat annoying. However, I am in favour of the reworked version.”

"Both fixed."

Central Committee member

New Cla
Spokesperson

Founded: May 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby New Cla » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:18 am

Good job I would vote Aye if it was being voted on.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:46 pm

“Also, in clause two, there’s no need to put in quotation marks the words ‘bribery’ and ‘being bribed’, since that is in no way related to the defining clause.”
My pronouns are he/him.

New Min
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Min » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:20 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“Also, in clause two, there’s no need to put in quotation marks the words ‘bribery’ and ‘being bribed’, since that is in no way related to the defining clause.”

"Fixed."

Central Committee member

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:41 am

New Min wrote:1. Defines, for the purpose of this resolution,
  1. 'bribery' as the act of promising or giving an advantage to another person or organisation (the 'subject'), including:
    1. being aware or believing that bribery would be deemed improper functioning within the framework of their activity,
    2. regardless of perceived or known illegality, in the expectation that a relevant function shall be performed improperly by the subject or anyone else, and/or
    3. regardless of perceived or known illegality, as a reward for improper performance within the framework of their activity, whether concerning performance in the past or yet to happen,

You need to fix this definition. The use of the word "including" before the list means that the list does not exhaust what counts as bribery. You've therefore defined any act of promising to give an advantage to another person or organisation to be bribery. You're banning signing up to make regular donations to a charity, buying your friend a beer and a multitude of other harmless every day happenings.

I think that key to the notion of bribery is that you bribe someone to do something, there's an expectation of a result.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly