NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] International Release of Criminal Evidence Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Knessniet
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

[ABANDONED] International Release of Criminal Evidence Act

Postby Knessniet » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:22 pm

NOTE: Second attempt. My first one failed, as some may remember. This one should work better. I will fix it as feedback comes in.
Proposed by: Knessniet
Category: International Security
Strength: Significant

The General Assembly,

RESOLVED to keep order and enforce the law.

CONCERNED that nations may withhold evidence from another during trials for the purpose of disrupting the pursuit of justice.

AFFIRMING this Assembly shall not allow such deplorable practices.

CLARIFYING that this resolution only affects cross-border and extrajudicial crimes.

ARTICLE I
1. Hereby mandate that nations must share evidence of crimes committed. They also must share exonerating evidence that would protect the accused.
a. Such evidence includes incriminating documents, video, audio, photographic media, DNA tests, fingerprint analysis, expert testimony, and witness statements.
b. This information may only be transmitted between government agencies. No private entity may view aforementioned evidence.
2. In order to obtain this information, the prosecuting nation may send an official request to the other nation by open diplomatic channels.
3. Nations are not required to produce evidence unless there is an active criminal charge against the accused.
4. The evidence must be considered admissible in a court of law to be shared.
a. The WACC Judiciary Committee will be charged with defining admissible evidence.

ARTICLE II
1. A nation may withold evidence if they have reasonable suspicion that the accused's human rights are or will be violated.
a. They may also withhold evidence if there is reasonable suspicion that the trial will be considered unfair. This must be backed by previous incidents of unfair trails.
2. A nation may withhold evidence if they do no recognize the charge as a crime under their laws.
3. The WACC Judicial Committee shall be charged with defining a fair trial. They will also be charged with investigating misuse of this resolution to create an unfair trial.
Last edited by Knessniet on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:17 am, edited 17 times in total.

Cosmopolitan borovan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopolitan borovan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:49 pm

We have a resolution on Extradition Rights

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:51 pm

I see some overlap, but the one you linked is in regards to just extradition. This one, I presume, is for all crimes and punishments.
This is my signature. The old one was odd.

Cosmopolitan borovan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopolitan borovan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:29 pm

We have also a Rights of crime victims and Fairness in criminal trials

You need to work with more stuff because there isn't a lot of scope or try repealing extradition rights
Last edited by Cosmopolitan borovan on Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knessniet
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:04 am

Sorry about that, I wrote this just before bed. I'll fix the bit about extradition. And yes, ''tis act is for all crimes.
Last edited by Knessniet on Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:15 am

“Clause 1 needs heavy clarification since it currently refers to all crimes, which could be very bad indeed. For example, if someone releases classified information, sharing that internationally could be a very bad idea. It could also violate the privacy of crime victims to have their details shared across the globe.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:37 am

Knessniet wrote:1. Hereby mandate that nations must share evidence of crimes committed. ... Such evidence includes incriminating ... video ... A nation may withold evidence if they have reasonable suspicion that the accused's human rights are or will be violated.

OOC: Uh, what if said video evidence is of a rape? The CCTV video of that rape will be shared internationally? Can you imagine what kind of additional trauma that would cause to the victim of the rape, knowing that people across the world are going to see it?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Knessniet
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:16 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Knessniet wrote:1. Hereby mandate that nations must share evidence of crimes committed. ... Such evidence includes incriminating ... video ... A nation may withold evidence if they have reasonable suspicion that the accused's human rights are or will be violated.

OOC: Uh, what if said video evidence is of a rape? The CCTV video of that rape will be shared internationally? Can you imagine what kind of additional trauma that would cause to the victim of the rape, knowing that people across the world are going to see it?

That information will be transmitted ONLY to government officials who are prosecuting a case. People would still see it if it remained in a national matter. I should also add that said clause exists to protect those who would be tortured or held in inhumane conditions.
Last edited by Knessniet on Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knessniet
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:16 am

Kenmoria wrote:“Clause 1 needs heavy clarification since it currently refers to all crimes, which could be very bad indeed. For example, if someone releases classified information, sharing that internationally could be a very bad idea. It could also violate the privacy of crime victims to have their details shared across the globe.”

As stated, this information will only be transmitted to other government agencies. I will clarify.

Knessniet
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:43 am

If there are no more concerns, I would like to propose this. Please inform me of any more concerns by Monday.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:41 am

Knessniet wrote:If there are no more concerns, I would like to propose this. Please inform me of any more concerns by Monday.

Drafting is a marathon, not a sprint. Keep on drafting for another couple of weeks and see how people feel.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Knessniet
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:44 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Knessniet wrote:If there are no more concerns, I would like to propose this. Please inform me of any more concerns by Monday.

Drafting is a marathon, not a sprint. Keep on drafting for another couple of weeks and see how people feel.

Good idea. I'll leave it for while. Have you got any ideas?

Cosmopolitan borovan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopolitan borovan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:49 am

You can clarify this is for extrajudicial or cross border crimes in your preamble

Knessniet
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:55 am

Cosmopolitan borovan wrote:You can clarify this is for extrajudicial or cross border crimes in your preamble

Excellent idea!

Dawn Kingdom
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dawn Kingdom » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:21 pm

OOC:What if the accused person is influental politician, oligarch, celebrity, we cannot pose them as criminals, unless government sees some profit in deposing the very person. In that case we can even make some "evidence". This is another anti-corruption proposal. There are stacks like this. "A+" for effort, but still disagree.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:26 pm

All replies OOC.

Dawn Kingdom wrote:OOC:What if the accused person is influental politician, oligarch, celebrity, we cannot pose them as criminals, unless government sees some profit in deposing the very person.

...what??

Dawn Kingdom wrote: In that case we can even make some "evidence". This is another anti-corruption proposal.

No...it isn't...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Dawn Kingdom
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dawn Kingdom » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:37 pm

The New California Republic wrote:All replies OOC.

Dawn Kingdom wrote:OOC:What if the accused person is influental politician, oligarch, celebrity, we cannot pose them as criminals, unless government sees some profit in deposing the very person.

...what??

Dawn Kingdom wrote: In that case we can even make some "evidence". This is another anti-corruption proposal.

No...it isn't...

1.) Yes, it is.
2.) If really influential politician is the accused person what should we do? Give reasonable evidence to lock him up in the cell? This wouldn't decrease his influence, but his hatred might grow, but if we will fake the court session, then government might have strong loyal politician on it's side. Same goes for oligarchs/billionairs. We can sabotage accused billionaires into paying government operations, this would benefit our economy quite a much. In exchange we can make evidence dissapear, to ensure releasing of billionaire.
3.) If government sees profit in locking someone in the jail cell, then government might fake some evidence to ensure person's seizure.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:40 pm

Dawn Kingdom wrote:2.) If really influential politician is the accused person what should we do? Give reasonable evidence to lock him up in the cell? This wouldn't decrease his influence, but his hatred might grow, but if we will fake the court session, then government might have strong loyal politician on it's side. Same goes for oligarchs/billionairs. We can sabotage accused billionaires into paying government operations, this would benefit our economy quite a much. In exchange we can make evidence dissapear, to ensure releasing of billionaire.

3.) If government sees profit in locking someone in the jail cell, then government might fake some evidence to ensure person's seizure.

What?? The draft says none of this nonsense. You are reading something into it that isn't even there...

Wave on, wave on

Dawn Kingdom
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dawn Kingdom » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:47 pm

Dawn Kingdom wrote:2.) If really influential politician is the accused person what should we do? Give reasonable evidence to lock him up in the cell? This wouldn't decrease his influence, but his hatred might grow, but if we will fake the court session, then government might have strong loyal politician on it's side. Same goes for oligarchs/billionairs. We can sabotage accused billionaires into paying government operations, this would benefit our economy quite a much. In exchange we can make evidence dissapear, to ensure releasing of billionaire.

What?? The draft says none of this nonsense. You are reading something into it that isn't even there...

1.) I know that draft is not about it, actually is against it,
2.) It is my position why am I against the draft.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:50 pm

Dawn Kingdom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:What?? The draft says none of this nonsense. You are reading something into it that isn't even there...

This is about evidence sharing across international borders, I really don't think that you understand what it is saying...

Wave on, wave on

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:01 pm

Knessniet wrote:a. Such evidence includes incriminating documents, video, audio, and photographic media.

Keep in mind there is other evidence available, such as DNA/fingerprint evidence, witness testimonies, etc.

Wave on, wave on

Dawn Kingdom
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dawn Kingdom » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:11 pm

Dawn Kingdom wrote:

This is about evidence sharing across international borders, I really don't think that you understand what it is saying...

I understand it perfectly. Would you share evidence against your strong politician/oligarch across international borders? We not bribe them with faking evidence, but that is discussion for another day.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:15 pm

Dawn Kingdom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:This is about evidence sharing across international borders, I really don't think that you understand what it is saying...

I understand it perfectly. Would you share evidence against your strong politician/oligarch across international borders? We not bribe them with faking evidence, but that is discussion for another day.

Based on the outlandish scenario you depicted earlier, you really don't understand what it is saying.

Wave on, wave on

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:48 pm

The Compliance Commission can already demand evidence.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:50 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:The Compliance Commission can already demand evidence.

I knew that I had seen something similar to this before, but I couldn't quite place it...

Wave on, wave on

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly