NATION

PASSWORD

Weaken Faith Authority [DRAFT]

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:14 pm

Dawn Kingdom wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote: "We have. We remain unconvinced that your approach is more beneficial than harmful. And this delegation represents a nation famously hostile to the religious."

1.) Yes my nation is quite hostile to the religion,
2.) I don't want religious people to mess up my nice ruling system,
3.) I don't want religious hypocrites to have too much influence,
4.) I only care for stability, NOT the cost for stability.

...And yet you are willing to merge government and religion into a single entity according to clauses 1 and 3...?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:16 pm

Dawn Kingdom wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote: "We have. We remain unconvinced that your approach is more beneficial than harmful. And this delegation represents a nation famously hostile to the religious."

"Ambassador, referred to my delegation. My nation is particularly hostile to religion. My nation still thinks this is a bad policy. Do you just not understand my when I speak? Do I need to speak in shorter, simpler phrases?"

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Dawn Kingdom
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dawn Kingdom » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:26 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote: "Ambassador, referred to my delegation. My nation is particularly hostile to religion. My nation still thinks this is a bad policy. Do you just not understand my when I speak? Do I need to speak in shorter, simpler phrases?"

Why don't you understand that this is the only practical and good way of resolving this issue. Or how to you propose faith authority to go down. Maybe we should ask the pope to give up his large influence?! Sarcasm, but in all seriousness you want to decrease power of religon, yet you don't want to act radically. Question, why?

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:28 pm

Dawn Kingdom wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote: "Ambassador, referred to my delegation. My nation is particularly hostile to religion. My nation still thinks this is a bad policy. Do you just not understand my when I speak? Do I need to speak in shorter, simpler phrases?"

Why don't you understand that this is the only practical and good way of resolving this issue. Or how to you propose faith authority to go down. Maybe we should ask the pope to give up his large influence?! Sarcasm, but in all seriousness you want to decrease power of religon, yet you don't want to act radically. Question, why?

"Because I respect both rights and quality drafting. Because I believe procedure is as important as substance. And, ambassador, because I don't believe you even understand the concept of practicality."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Marshite Ponies
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 03, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Marshite Ponies » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:29 pm

Dawn Kingdom wrote:IC: His Grace is greatly concerned that most of the nations in comment section dissaprove the proposal, furthermore his grace is thinking about how much of political stability would this proposal bring to our world and asks other nations to see the proposal with his eyes.

"Hello, Your Grace. It is wonderful to finally speak with you! It, perhaps, gives me the opportunity to shed further light on why the majority disapproves. For this I will not go into the structural issues in the proposal's clauses on an individual basis, as many have spoken to those. Instead, let me illuminate for Your Grace the structural issues underpinning the proposal as a whole.

One. The Republic, along with the majority of the world, do not agree with the belief that weakening religious influence in society would increase political stability. For many nations, religion is a stabilizing agent, not one of harm. A resolution that targets religion thusly needs to have a stronger series of arguments than are present here, and needs to state objective truths that make the subjective moral and philosophical arguments involved have some baseline truths to venture off of.
Two. The Republic, and many other states, do not necessarily believe in the restrictions of freedom present in the underpinning of this proposal as beneficial to our populace. There is no inherent stabilization effect in the restrictions present and can have a negative loop of societal feedback that can drastically increase unrest and radicalization. And all of that doesn't get into the moral arguments in favor of freedoms this proposal restricts.

Perhaps Your Grace should consider a different path, as the one chosen is fraught, full of dangers, and only leads to rejection and harm. If you would only embrace the values of harmony through kindness, loyalty, honesty, generosity, laughter, and the magic of friendship, perhaps you would find friends instead of enemies behind every door. The light of such True, True Friends can be a beacon in the dark, and lead the aptly named Dawn Kingdom into the light of a new era. Have a Harmonious day," Ambassador Twilight Sparkle wrote, her quill swiftly writing the missive even as she believed it foolhardy. Still, who would she be, if not hopeful for every creature large and small?
Member of the Romani-Marshite Union.
Marshite Ponies is ranked 1st in Borealias for Largest Defense Forces.

Adirondack Commonwealth
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Adirondack Commonwealth » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Dawn Kingdom wrote:

Then that's your nation's own issue, isn't it? Or have you no sovereignty at all and are merely a puppet of the masses of other nations?
Monarchy unites, Republicanism divides.

Nationalist Gold Union
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nationalist Gold Union » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:36 pm

Secularization enforced by international law contradicts the democratic will of the people of our nation. The voting public doesn't want to elect religious leaders because that is not the true or traditional means of doing so. This resolution would be an overreach of the authorities afforded to the World Assembly and therefore we oppose this, gravely.
Pro: Democracy, liberalism, equality, justice
Anti: Tyranny, demagoguery, bigotry

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:37 pm

Dawn Kingdom wrote:Why don't you understand that this is the only practical and good way of resolving this issue.

Because it really isn't.

Dawn Kingdom wrote:Maybe we should ask the pope to give up his large influence?!

RL reference.

Dawn Kingdom wrote:you want to decrease power of religon, yet you don't want to act radically. Question, why?

Because radical solutions tend to suck, and never reach quorum or pass the general vote.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:38 pm

Nationalist Gold Union wrote:Secularization enforced by international law contradicts the democratic will of the people of our nation. The voting public doesn't want to elect religious leaders because that is not the true or traditional means of doing so. This resolution would be an overreach of the authorities afforded to the World Assembly and therefore we oppose this, gravely.

"Democracy is not a beneficial tool in and of itself. Democracy is only good insofar as it brings about beneficial end. Populism unchecked is as dangerous as authoritarianism unchecked."

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:51 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Nationalist Gold Union wrote:Secularization enforced by international law contradicts the democratic will of the people of our nation. The voting public doesn't want to elect religious leaders because that is not the true or traditional means of doing so. This resolution would be an overreach of the authorities afforded to the World Assembly and therefore we oppose this, gravely.

"Democracy is not a beneficial tool in and of itself. Democracy is only good insofar as it brings about beneficial end. Populism unchecked is as dangerous as authoritarianism unchecked."

"Of course, populism unchecked tends to be more fun to watch than authoritarianism unchecked. I know which I'd rather have."

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:42 pm

Dawn Kingdom wrote:

Religious authorities do not have more political influence than anyone else. If they do in your country, perhaps you should reconsider your approach.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:44 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Dawn Kingdom wrote:

Religious authorities do not have more political influence than anyone else. If they do in your country, perhaps you should reconsider your approach.

IC: "I'd like to visit Dawn Kingdom to see firsthand the clear problems they have with religion, but I seriously fear for my life if I did, and not on account of religion..."

Wave on, wave on

The Sheika
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 27, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Sheika » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:32 pm

Dawn Kingdom wrote:

Of all the possibilities in the multiverse that the WA is comprised of, I highly doubt this is the only way to solve an issue that really isn't an issue.
Colonel Johnathan "Jack" Austin, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Department of International Affairs
Militaristic Federation of the Sheika
Regional Delegate of Absolution

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:36 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Democracy is not a beneficial tool in and of itself. Democracy is only good insofar as it brings about beneficial end. Populism unchecked is as dangerous as authoritarianism unchecked."

"Of course, populism unchecked tends to be more fun to watch than authoritarianism unchecked. I know which I'd rather have."

OOC: Yes, because the French Revolution and subsequent reign of terror were an absolute hoot. I mean, who doesn’t love watching people tortured and having their heads lopped off? :eyebrow:

(Yes, I know your statement was IC, but I had to point that out)
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:12 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:"Of course, populism unchecked tends to be more fun to watch than authoritarianism unchecked. I know which I'd rather have."

OOC: Yes, because the French Revolution and subsequent reign of terror were an absolute hoot. I mean, who doesn’t love watching people tortured and having their heads lopped off? :eyebrow:

(Yes, I know your statement was IC, but I had to point that out)

OOC: Better than the thousand years of suffering the Third Estate had lived through before the French Revolution.

Dawn Kingdom
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dawn Kingdom » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:23 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:Religious authorities do not have more political influence than anyone else. If they do in your country, perhaps you should reconsider your approach.

IC: "I'd like to visit Dawn Kingdom to see firsthand the clear problems they have with religion, but I seriously fear for my life if I did, and not on account of religion..."

1.) You are quite right to fear, you'd be seized in very first possible moment,
2.) I have absolute control over citizens, cause I know what is best for them,
3.) Fortunately, religion isn't big problem in my nation, but worldwide it quite is.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:45 am

Dawn Kingdom wrote:3.) Fortunately, religion isn't big problem in my nation, but worldwide it quite is.

Do you have any actual evidence for that? I mean, your proposal is a massive overreaction to the the problem, but it doesn't seem like the problem even exists.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Liberimery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimery » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:20 am

Dawn Kingdom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:IC: "I'd like to visit Dawn Kingdom to see firsthand the clear problems they have with religion, but I seriously fear for my life if I did, and not on account of religion..."

3.) Fortunately, religion isn't big problem in my nation, but worldwide it quite is.

Is this resolution enforce in your own country at present, Ambassador?

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:35 am

Liberimery wrote:
Dawn Kingdom wrote:

Is this resolution enforce in your own country at present, Ambassador?

"Ambassador, you know it is."

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:11 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Liberimery wrote:Is this resolution enforce in your own country at present, Ambassador?

"Ambassador, you know it is."

"And a great deal more besides it seems..."

Wave on, wave on

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:06 am

OOC: Well, the OP has ceased to exist, so I guess that this farce ends here.

Wave on, wave on

Jebslund
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jebslund » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:44 pm

The New California Republic wrote:OOC: Well, the OP has ceased to exist, so I guess that this farce ends here.

[OOC: Well, Sofia *did* basically tell their ambassador that his genocide advocacy would earn him a demonstration of Project Starstorm (a Kermanic Orbital Kinetic Bombardment Weapons System not officially acknowledged by the Jebslund government and categorically denied by all government officials as preposterous rumors and lost weather balloons. The tests in an uninhabited wasteland in Jebslund's desert region were reported as swampgas explosions. I'll get around to writing that factbook at some point.]
Jebslund is a nation of kerbals ruled by Emperor Jebediah Kerman. We reject tyranny, believing that rights should be protected, though we also believe said rights end where the rights of others begin.
Shockingly, we *do* use NS stats, with the exception of lifespan.
Singular sapient: Jebslunder
Plural Sapient: Jebslunden
Singular/Plural nonsapient: Kermanic
Note: When a verb can logically only be done by the sapient using/piloting/holding the object in question, then the appropriate demonym for the number of sapients is used.

Capitalism, Socialism, and Communism are ECONOMIC SYSTEMS. Stop conflating them with political systems.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:54 pm

I guess our missiles worked, then.
Last edited by United Massachusetts on Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liberimery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimery » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:08 pm

Comes in listening to music on his MP3 play while humming along to the joyous anthem about a bunch of little guys who were happy that their evil tyrant queen of supernatural origin was deposed by a courageous freedom fighter from a distant land and judicious use of a domicile. He plucks his earbuds out, and looks around, " Did I miss something important?"

Noticing the empty seat, "Ah. Terrible shame. I was just about to call for an investigation for egregious violations of WA resolutions."

Cosmopolitan borovan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopolitan borovan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:54 pm

The New California Republic wrote:OOC: Well, the OP has ceased to exist, so I guess that this farce ends here.

He only was deated

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly