NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Astronomical Data Repository Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
User avatar
Kranostav
Envoy
 
Posts: 277
Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[PASSED] Astronomical Data Repository Act

Postby Kranostav » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:01 pm

After some edits, I am reintroducing this proposal as an expansion to some specifics of the research mentions in (future) GAR #451 International Aero-Space Administration.

Astronomical Data Repository Act

Category: Education and Creativity | Area: Education


The World Assembly,

Intending to create a database to document unique astronomical data to advance education and astronomic studies,

Cognisant of the need to compile astronomical information while not infringing on sovereign rights of nations to maintain secrecy in military and similar affairs,

Hereby:

  1. Defines ‘raw astronomical data’, hereinafter referred to as 'data', for the purposes of this proposal as raw information regarding objects within or related to space and the practice of astronomy, their features and physical attributes, or the stellar coordinates containing the aforementioned data,

  2. Establishes an agency within the World Assembly Scientific Programme (WASP) named ‘Astronomic Science and Technical Research Organization’ (ASTRO) and tasks it with organization, administration, and maintenance of a database of raw astronomical data,

  3. Mandates member states submit to ASTRO any relevant raw astronomical data they may possess,

    1. Contributing nations may request a temporary or total stay on data they have contributed should the donated data compromise the safety or integrity of the contributing nation,

  4. Permits private entities to contribute raw astronomical data to ASTRO and retain the right to negotiate for appropriate compensation,

    1. ASTRO shall temporarily hold data contributed by private entities allowing time for the nation in which the data was collected to file an objection on the submitted data so as to prevent the release of sensitive or confidential data. Should a member nation object to the data being donated, they must provide adequate evidence for that objection, which will be kept confidential and viewed only for the purposes of the objection.

    2. Should the location in which the data was collected not lie under the jurisdiction of any currently existing nation or was recorded while in a location under the jurisdiction of a no longer existing nation, the data is exempt from the above requirement unless a currently existing nation can prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that the data is of a confidential or sensitive nature,

  5. Establishes a system to accredit discoveries to their contributors should they wish, via public notation within the database and attached to the specific data itself, to properly acknowledge those who contributed to the public advancement of astronomic study,

    1. Requires users of this data to attribute the sources of the data they used, if applicable,

  6. Declares that all data collected will be released by ASTRO for free


FAQ - Will be updating this as questions appear so for your organizational pleasure
Q: Where will the WAAS receive funding to provide compensation for private owned research companies?
A: GAR #17 WA General Fund ( 'from which shall be spent only on maintaining the administration of the WA and missions established’) will effectively fund this mission established via a committee.
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 70 times in total.
The North Pacific Minister of World Assembly Affairs
The WA El-eats Chef of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

User avatar
Kranostav
Envoy
 
Posts: 277
Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:02 pm

Reserved for Edit log and other OP comment

Draft 1 :
Intending to create a public data collection that will document and record unique astronomical data for the purpose of education and advancement of scientific studies regarding space,

Cognisant of the need to compile astronomical information while not infringing on sovereign rights of nations to maintain secrecy in military and similar affairs,

Defines ‘astronomical data’ for the sake of this proposal as celestial and planetary attributes, astronomical features, especially including extremely unique information/data, and the stellar coordinates containing these items,

1. Creates an agency within the World Assembly Scientific Programme (WASP) named ‘Astronomic Science and Technical Research Organization’ (ASTRO) to administer over the collection and organization of said astronomical data being collected,

2. Urges nations to submit astronomical data involving various items defined above,

a. Notes that the contributing nations may confidentially donate to ensure that national name or any identifying characteristics thereof are not associated with donated information,

b. Allows nations to request a temporary hold on release and dissemination of data they have contributed if such a situation arises that donated information might compromise the safety and integrity of the contributing nation,

3. Allows privately owned research companies to contribute astronomical data and negotiate terms of appropriate compensation should they wish to receive payment

a. Requires contributing privately owned entities to acquire approval from the host nation for all data being contributed to ensure that no sensitive data is exposed, said host nation may impose a temporary hold or confidential contribution if needed.

b. Notes that parent clause in no way forcibly requires private organizations to contribute any data that they would otherwise use for monetary gain

4. Maintaining that this proposal in no manner allows or promotes trespassing on national property, specifically that of stellar coordinates in the data submitted,

5. Forbids any data collected and disseminated by the Astronomic Science and Technical Research Organization to be sold or redistributed in exchange for payment.[/box]

Draft 2: Changing 'Forbids...' and better formatting

Draft 3-current: Verbiage and optimization of phrasing

Draft Nth - Current - Streamlining
Last edited by Kranostav on Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
The North Pacific Minister of World Assembly Affairs
The WA El-eats Chef of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

User avatar
United Massachusetts
Minister
 
Posts: 2455
Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby United Massachusetts » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:48 pm

Below is the proposed resolution, with my edits, especially to formatting:
Intending to create a public database data collection that will document and record unique astronomical data for the purpose of education and advancement of scientific studies regarding space, advancing astronomical study,

Cognisant of the need to compile astronomical information while not infringing on sovereign rights of nations to maintain secrecy in military and similar affairs,

Defines ‘astronomical data’ for the sake of this proposal as information regarding celestial and planetary attributes, astronomical features, especially including extremely unique information/data, and the stellar coordinates containing these items, especially where said information is extremely unique information/data,

The General Assembly, by the advice and consent of the delegates and member nations thereof, hereby:

  1. Creates Establishes an agency within the World Assembly Scientific Programme (WASP) named the ‘Astronomic Science and Technical Research Organization’ (ASTRO), and tasks it with the compilation, administration, and maintenance of a database of astronomical data, to administer over the collection and organization of said astronomical data being collected,

  2. Urges nations to submit to ASTRO any relavent astronomical data they possess, astronomical data involving various items defined above,

    1. contributing nations, if they so please, shall retain the right to provide said data confidentially, and to have it published without identifying characteristics of its source, Notes that the contributing nations may confidentially donate to ensure that national name or any identifying characteristics thereof are not associated with donated information,
    2. contributing nations shall retain the full right to prevent the release and dissemination of astronomical data they have contributed in the name of national safety and integrity,Allows nations to request a temporary hold on release and dissemination of data they have contributed if such a situation arises that donated information might compromise the safety and integrity of the contributing nation,
  3. non-governmental entities shall be permitted to, freely and of their own accord, contribute astronomical data to ASTRO, and shall retain the right to negotiate for payment in exchange,Allows privately owned research companies to contribute astronomical data and negotiate terms of appropriate compensation should they wish to receive payment,

    1. Requires contributing privately owned entities to shall obtain approval from their respective national government before submission so as to prevent the release of sensitive or confidential data, acquire approval from the host nation for all data being contributed to ensure that no sensitive data is exposed, said host nation may impose a temporary hold or confidential contribution if needed.

    2. Notes that parent clause in no way forcibly requires private organizations to contribute any data that they would otherwise use for monetary gain
  4. Maintaining that this proposal in no manner allows or promotes trespassing on national property, specifically that of stellar coordinates in the data submitted,

  5. Forbids the sale or redistribution of any data collected and disseminated by ASTRO in exchange for payment.any data collected and disseminated by the Astronomic Science and Technical Research Organization to be sold or redistributed in exchange for payment.

I'm concerned about the Committees Only rule, the resolution doesn't require nations to actually do anything apart from participating in a committee. Every single clause involves ASTRO.
United Massachusetts
World Assembly Mission

Pro-Life Social Democratic Catholic
Ambassador: Bishop Alexander Pierce

Deputy Outreach Minister, The Rejected Realms
Assistant: Father Carl Sullivan

President, Right to Life
Author/Co-author: 7 GA, 2 SC resolutions

Queen Yuno wrote:You have a very contradictory rep yourself, [UM].
Sanctaria wrote:We get it. You're pro-life.
Davelands wrote:(UM tries to slip another one by)
Wallenburg wrote:You've got to be the most ignorant person on this Discord.
Davelands wrote:Remember that United Mass is extremely on the religious right side. Look for hidden gotcha's for later. He is playing a long game with proposals...
Stat Crux dum volvitur orbis
The Cross stands steady, though the Earth is turning


User avatar
El Fiji Grande
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 469
Founded: Jan 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby El Fiji Grande » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:18 pm

I mildly support this proposal.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?ns=1&f=12&t=311018&p=21614607#p21614607

User avatar
Castle Federation
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 45
Founded: Oct 03, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Castle Federation » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:24 pm

I feel the language should be more definitive and not so optional in language. From what I understand, it is the preferred stye of WA proposals though I could be wrong.
Press Secretary of the North Pacific

User avatar
Kranostav
Envoy
 
Posts: 277
Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:03 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:
Below is the proposed resolution, with my edits, especially to formatting:
Intending to create a public database data collection that will document and record unique astronomical data for the purpose of education and advancement of scientific studies regarding space, advancing astronomical study,

Cognisant of the need to compile astronomical information while not infringing on sovereign rights of nations to maintain secrecy in military and similar affairs,

Defines ‘astronomical data’ for the sake of this proposal as information regarding celestial and planetary attributes, astronomical features, especially including extremely unique information/data, and the stellar coordinates containing these items, especially where said information is extremely unique information/data,

The General Assembly, by the advice and consent of the delegates and member nations thereof, hereby:

  1. Creates Establishes an agency within the World Assembly Scientific Programme (WASP) named the ‘Astronomic Science and Technical Research Organization’ (ASTRO), and tasks it with the compilation, administration, and maintenance of a database of astronomical data, to administer over the collection and organization of said astronomical data being collected,

  2. Urges nations to submit to ASTRO any relavent astronomical data they possess, astronomical data involving various items defined above,

    1. contributing nations, if they so please, shall retain the right to provide said data confidentially, and to have it published without identifying characteristics of its source, Notes that the contributing nations may confidentially donate to ensure that national name or any identifying characteristics thereof are not associated with donated information,
    2. contributing nations shall retain the full right to prevent the release and dissemination of astronomical data they have contributed in the name of national safety and integrity,Allows nations to request a temporary hold on release and dissemination of data they have contributed if such a situation arises that donated information might compromise the safety and integrity of the contributing nation,
  3. non-governmental entities shall be permitted to, freely and of their own accord, contribute astronomical data to ASTRO, and shall retain the right to negotiate for payment in exchange,Allows privately owned research companies to contribute astronomical data and negotiate terms of appropriate compensation should they wish to receive payment,

    1. Requires contributing privately owned entities to shall obtain approval from their respective national government before submission so as to prevent the release of sensitive or confidential data, acquire approval from the host nation for all data being contributed to ensure that no sensitive data is exposed, said host nation may impose a temporary hold or confidential contribution if needed.

    2. Notes that parent clause in no way forcibly requires private organizations to contribute any data that they would otherwise use for monetary gain
  4. Maintaining that this proposal in no manner allows or promotes trespassing on national property, specifically that of stellar coordinates in the data submitted,

  5. Forbids the sale or redistribution of any data collected and disseminated by ASTRO in exchange for payment.any data collected and disseminated by the Astronomic Science and Technical Research Organization to be sold or redistributed in exchange for payment.

I'm concerned about the Committees Only rule, the resolution doesn't require nations to actually do anything apart from participating in a committee. Every single clause involves ASTRO.

I have now included the edits, some with my own interpretation of what you were getting at.

I edited a few things as I felt they would change the meaning of the clause. Specifically in 2a and 2b. For 2a, I meant that the nation would submit the data and elect for it to be confidentially published so that they are not associated with the data. And for 2b I needed to include a way to include a temporary hold should the nation wish to only prevent the dissemination for a certain amount of time.

As for clause 4, I am torn on whether or not to keep it as people have requested that fact to be made clear with the posting of stellar coordinates.
The North Pacific Minister of World Assembly Affairs
The WA El-eats Chef of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

User avatar
Kranostav
Envoy
 
Posts: 277
Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:06 pm

Castle Federation wrote:I feel the language should be more definitive and not so optional in language. From what I understand, it is the preferred stye of WA proposals though I could be wrong.

I assume you are referencing the 'urge' instead of a mandate, and I do sympathize with this point as my original draft included a mandate. This was later changed as it appeared a mandate to give away information for free would be unpopular, especially so to space faring and futurist nations.
The North Pacific Minister of World Assembly Affairs
The WA El-eats Chef of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

User avatar
Castle Federation
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 45
Founded: Oct 03, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Castle Federation » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:25 pm

Kranostav wrote:
Castle Federation wrote:I feel the language should be more definitive and not so optional in language. From what I understand, it is the preferred stye of WA proposals though I could be wrong.

I assume you are referencing the 'urge' instead of a mandate, and I do sympathize with this point as my original draft included a mandate. This was later changed as it appeared a mandate to give away information for free would be unpopular, especially so to space faring and futurist nations.

I understand. I am just worried that the proposal does not take significant enough action to avoid the "make a committee only" infraction.
Press Secretary of the North Pacific

User avatar
Kranostav
Envoy
 
Posts: 277
Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:30 pm

Castle Federation wrote:
Kranostav wrote:I assume you are referencing the 'urge' instead of a mandate, and I do sympathize with this point as my original draft included a mandate. This was later changed as it appeared a mandate to give away information for free would be unpopular, especially so to space faring and futurist nations.

I understand. I am just worried that the proposal does not take significant enough action to avoid the "make a committee only" infraction.

Under current ruling, 'Urge' is an actionable clause and the proposal produces its intended effects through nation/committee interaction. IF this was under previous ruling then it could toe the line or even be illegal. However as of the latest rule set regarding committee it is legal.

(This was also confirmed to be the case via cursory inspection by gensec)
Last edited by Kranostav on Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The North Pacific Minister of World Assembly Affairs
The WA El-eats Chef of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

User avatar
Castle Federation
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 45
Founded: Oct 03, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Castle Federation » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:32 pm

Very good then. My concerns have been addressed. :)
Press Secretary of the North Pacific

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17348
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:41 pm

OOC: You have to do this in a manner which is friendly to all tech levels. I, for example, am absolutely, stubbornly, strictly MT ONLY and will refuse to cooperate on any level which will involve straying away from my MTness. This means that any data collected from my nation will be too primitive for FT nations (which is moot because I cannot communicate with, see the part about stubbornness), and too advanced for PT nations. Failure to take this into account will f**k up my role playing style
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions. This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian.
Why stylised as "rePublic"
16 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

User avatar
Kranostav
Envoy
 
Posts: 277
Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:05 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:OOC: You have to do this in a manner which is friendly to all tech levels. I, for example, am absolutely, stubbornly, strictly MT ONLY and will refuse to cooperate on any level which will involve straying away from my MTness. This means that any data collected from my nation will be too primitive for FT nations (which is moot because I cannot communicate with, see the part about stubbornness), and too advanced for PT nations. Failure to take this into account will f**k up my role playing style

My aim is to stay totally neutral on the tech differences the WA houses:

- The urge vs mandate, I decided to make the proposal urge nations to donate data so that there is no requirement or harm to nations that can't or do not want to. Under no circumstances will you be forced to donate data or interpret it from others. If you would like to interpret data and use it for your studies and national advancement, you can with the assistance of ASTRO, but you will never be forced out of MT.

- This proposal is aimed at advancing all nations. PT nations can donate and interpret data from other PT nations, MT nations can donate and interpret data from other MT nations, and FT can donate and interpret data from other FT nations. My goal with this proposal was to be totally non intrusive to all tech levels while dedicating a WA focus to research regarding space.
Last edited by Kranostav on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The North Pacific Minister of World Assembly Affairs
The WA El-eats Chef of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

User avatar
Kranostav
Envoy
 
Posts: 277
Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:02 am

El Fiji Grande wrote:I mildly support this proposal.

I mildly appreciate your mild support! :p
The North Pacific Minister of World Assembly Affairs
The WA El-eats Chef of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

User avatar
Araraukar
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13794
Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:16 am

OOC: Clause 5 is going to be a problem, since it doesn't state that the info must come from the committee.

Let's say that an amateur astronomical society has used their telescope to observe the crossing of an exoplanet across a distant star (as I have actually done in person, even if it was just basically a graph on a screen :P - my name's somewhere in very small print as one of the amateurs credited for helping to confirm that planet's existence) and then sells the data to a company that wants the data for their commercial application to spot the stars with the exoplanets - if that same crossing was observed by a national observatory and the data was submitted to the committee and their database, then the astronomical society would be in violation with the proposal, even though they were only selling the data they themselves gathered.

I'm also quite fond of my big poster of the Andromeda Galaxy, but I wouldn't be able to have it, if the image had been submitted to a similar database by whoever took it, since printing the posters for commercial purposes would be illegal.

Edit because damnit, typofingers.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Linda Äyrämäki, acting ambassador in the absence of miss Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk.

Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Araraukar wrote:
Blueflarst wrote:a cosmopolitan hammer
United Massachusetts wrote:Can we all call ourselves "cosmopolitan hammers"?
Us cosmopolitan hammers
Can teach some manners
Often sorely lacking
Hence us attacking
Silly GA spammers

User avatar
Kranostav
Envoy
 
Posts: 277
Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:22 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Clause 5 is going to be a problem, since it doesn't state that the info must come from the committee.

Let's say that an amateur astronomical society has used their telescope to observe the crossing of an exoplanet across a distant star (as I have actually done in person, even if it was just basically a graph on a screen :P - my name's somewhere in very small print as one of the amateurs credited for helping to confirm that planet's existence) and then sells the data to a company that wants the data for their commercial application to spot the stars with the exoplanets - if that same crossing was observed by a national observatory and the data was submitted to the committee and their database, then the astronomical society would be in violation with the proposal, even though they were only selling the data they themselves gathered.

I'm also quite fond of my big poster of the Andromeda Galaxy, but I wouldn't be able to have it, if the image had been submitted to a similar database by whoever took it, since printing the posters for commercial purposes would be illegal.

Edit because damnit, typofingers.

I dont see how you can claim that when clause 5 literally says "collected and disseminated by ASTRO"... Clause 5 prevents that data that was specifically disseminated by ASTRO being resold for the purpose of possessing the data. An artistic rendition of the data never really factors in at any point so Im confused as to why you brought it up. If a private company collects data and then sells it that is perfectly okay, you just cant take data from ASTRO and pass it off as your own to gain a profit from that public program.

Lets say two entities observe an event inwhich you described. Entity A donates the data and Entity B doesn't. Entity B still has every right to sell the data for their own monetary gain, however Entity C can't take the data from ASTRO and try to sell it and pass it off as their own data.

If there is a better way to word it I'll happily do so to prevent abuse.
Last edited by Kranostav on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The North Pacific Minister of World Assembly Affairs
The WA El-eats Chef of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

User avatar
Araraukar
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13794
Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:09 am

Kranostav wrote:I dont see how you can claim that when clause 5 literally says "collected and disseminated by ASTRO"... Clause 5 prevents that data that was specifically disseminated by ASTRO being resold for the purpose of possessing the data.

OOC: "5. Forbids the sale or redistribution of any data collected and disseminated by ASTRO in exchange for payment." The same data can have two sources, given that the committee itself does not do any of the observations, it only receives the data.

An artistic rendition

Have you ever heard of photographs?

you just cant take data from ASTRO and pass it off as your own to gain a profit from that public program.

Then you need to actually say that.

however Entity C can't take the data from ASTRO and try to sell it and pass it off as their own data

No, but they can pass it off as Entity A's data.

If there is a better way to word it I'll happily do so to prevent abuse.

There probably is, but I need to go yell at my ISP today and have my eyesight checked, so I'll see how soon I can get back to you.
- Linda Äyrämäki, acting ambassador in the absence of miss Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk.

Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Araraukar wrote:
Blueflarst wrote:a cosmopolitan hammer
United Massachusetts wrote:Can we all call ourselves "cosmopolitan hammers"?
Us cosmopolitan hammers
Can teach some manners
Often sorely lacking
Hence us attacking
Silly GA spammers

User avatar
Grenartia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 40947
Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:23 am

I have some concerns with the following clause:

Cognisant of the need to compile astronomical information while not infringing on sovereign rights of nations to maintain secrecy in military and similar affairs,


While this is an admirable goal, I don't see much point in it. Stealth doesn't exist in space (except, I guess, in some soft PMT and FT contexts, but certainly not in PT or MT). Which means that any object in orbit will be observable anyways, so secrecy is kind of a moot point. You can't have a sooper sekrit laser killsat in a polar orbit. For one, it will be picked up by radar and infrared (and any other appropriate EM wavelengths). Secondly, the design of the satellite will almost invariably give away (or at least allow significant inferences about) its purpose. Kind of hard to justify the massive radiators needed for a laser killsat if you're trying to pass it off as, say, a space telescope. I'm not saying require nations to disclose the purposes of their craft, but with these considerations in mind, it seems rather silly to explicitly state a desire to allow nations to maintain secrecy.
Impeach Humanity, Legalize Death Stars, Life is TheftWis/Gren 2016 Something all cisgender allies should start doing. I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith. ⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧
"Don't take life so serious. It isn't permanent."-Dyakovo
I'm a pansexual Androgyne. Also a Christian.
Please use they/them/their when referencing me, as I do NOT appreciate the other pronouns.
Textbook definition of irony
Quotes of awesomeness

User avatar
Kranostav
Envoy
 
Posts: 277
Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:43 am

Grenartia wrote:I have some concerns with the following clause:

Cognisant of the need to compile astronomical information while not infringing on sovereign rights of nations to maintain secrecy in military and similar affairs,


While this is an admirable goal, I don't see much point in it. Stealth doesn't exist in space (except, I guess, in some soft PMT and FT contexts, but certainly not in PT or MT). Which means that any object in orbit will be observable anyways, so secrecy is kind of a moot point. You can't have a sooper sekrit laser killsat in a polar orbit. For one, it will be picked up by radar and infrared (and any other appropriate EM wavelengths). Secondly, the design of the satellite will almost invariably give away (or at least allow significant inferences about) its purpose. Kind of hard to justify the massive radiators needed for a laser killsat if you're trying to pass it off as, say, a space telescope. I'm not saying require nations to disclose the purposes of their craft, but with these considerations in mind, it seems rather silly to explicitly state a desire to allow nations to maintain secrecy.

While I understand where you are coming from. I find it necessary to include this especially for FT peoples. Also I would say that is not limited to satellites (which this proposal does not specifically mention,). In FT, giving away the composition of your planet and characteristics in your possessed area could potentially give an enemy an advantage over you. While that might not be a concern to PT or MT I felt I still must include it to ensure FT that I'm not ignoring them.
The North Pacific Minister of World Assembly Affairs
The WA El-eats Chef of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

User avatar
Kranostav
Envoy
 
Posts: 277
Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:12 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Kranostav wrote:I dont see how you can claim that when clause 5 literally says "collected and disseminated by ASTRO"... Clause 5 prevents that data that was specifically disseminated by ASTRO being resold for the purpose of possessing the data.

OOC: "5. Forbids the sale or redistribution of any data collected and disseminated by ASTRO in exchange for payment." The same data can have two sources, given that the committee itself does not do any of the observations, it only receives the data.

An artistic rendition

Have you ever heard of photographs?

you just cant take data from ASTRO and pass it off as your own to gain a profit from that public program.

Then you need to actually say that.

however Entity C can't take the data from ASTRO and try to sell it and pass it off as their own data

No, but they can pass it off as Entity A's data.

If there is a better way to word it I'll happily do so to prevent abuse.

There probably is, but I need to go yell at my ISP today and have my eyesight checked, so I'll see how soon I can get back to you.

So your point comes out to be the removal of the word "any", and just generally be more specific on wording to prevent abuse as you have outlined. Ill post a edit on this post shortly with what I think could work.

Forbids the sale and redistribution of data specifically taken from ASTRO in exchange for payment, excluding the original founder(s) of data.


Let me know how that looks
Edit: So I ended editing the proposal with the above edit! Let me know if you have any concerns!
Last edited by Kranostav on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
The North Pacific Minister of World Assembly Affairs
The WA El-eats Chef of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

User avatar
Kenmoria
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5212
Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:44 am

(OOC: I recommend using the [list] code to make the subclauses stand out more and look better in contrast to the rest of the proposal.)
Code: Select all
[box][align=center][size=150]Astronomical Data Repository Act[/size][/align]
[align=center][b]Category:[/b] Education and Creativity | [b]Area:[/b] Education[/align][hr][/hr]
Intending to create a public database that will document and record unique astronomical data for the purpose of education and advancing astronomic study,

Cognisant of the need to compile astronomical information while not infringing on sovereign rights of nations to maintain secrecy in military and similar affairs,

Defines ‘astronomical data’ for the sake of this proposal as information regarding celestial and planetary attributes, astronomical features, especially including extremely unique information/data, and the stellar coordinates containing these items,

This august World Assembly, in hopes of advancing education and astronomic study, hereby:

[list=1][*]Establishes an agency within the World Assembly Scientific Programme (WASP) named ‘Astronomic Science and Technical Research Organization’ (ASTRO) and tasks it with organizing collection for, administering over, and maintaining a database of astronomical data,


[*]Urges nations to submit to ASTRO any relevant astronomical data they may posses involving various items defined above,

[list=a][*]Contributing nations may confidentially donate to ensure that national name or any identifying characteristics thereof are not associated with donated information,


[*]Contributing nations may request a temporary hold on or total prevention of release and dissemination of data they have contributed if such a situation arises that donated information might compromise the safety and integrity of the contributing nation,[/list]

[*]Permits Non-governmental entities to contribute astronomical data to ASTRO and retain the right to negotiate for appropriate compensation,

[list=a][*]Contributing non-governmental entities shall acquire approval from their respective national government, in which they acquired the data, before submission so as to prevent the release of sensitive or confidential data,


[*]Notes that parent clause in no way forcibly requires private organizations to contribute any data that they would otherwise use for monetary gain[/list]

[*]Maintains that this proposal in no manner allows or promotes trespassing on national property, specifically that of stellar coordinates in the data submitted,


[*]Forbids the sale or redistribution of any data collected and disseminated by ASTRO in exchange for payment.[/list][/box]
Astronomical Data Repository Act

Category: Education and Creativity | Area: Education


Intending to create a public database that will document and record unique astronomical data for the purpose of education and advancing astronomic study,

Cognisant of the need to compile astronomical information while not infringing on sovereign rights of nations to maintain secrecy in military and similar affairs,

Defines ‘astronomical data’ for the sake of this proposal as information regarding celestial and planetary attributes, astronomical features, especially including extremely unique information/data, and the stellar coordinates containing these items,

This august World Assembly, in hopes of advancing education and astronomic study, hereby:

  1. Establishes an agency within the World Assembly Scientific Programme (WASP) named ‘Astronomic Science and Technical Research Organization’ (ASTRO) and tasks it with organizing collection for, administering over, and maintaining a database of astronomical data,

  2. Urges nations to submit to ASTRO any relevant astronomical data they may posses involving various items defined above,

    1. Contributing nations may confidentially donate to ensure that national name or any identifying characteristics thereof are not associated with donated information,

    2. Contributing nations may request a temporary hold on or total prevention of release and dissemination of data they have contributed if such a situation arises that donated information might compromise the safety and integrity of the contributing nation,
  3. Permits Non-governmental entities to contribute astronomical data to ASTRO and retain the right to negotiate for appropriate compensation,

    1. Contributing non-governmental entities shall acquire approval from their respective national government, in which they acquired the data, before submission so as to prevent the release of sensitive or confidential data,

    2. Notes that parent clause in no way forcibly requires private organizations to contribute any data that they would otherwise use for monetary gain
  4. Maintains that this proposal in no manner allows or promotes trespassing on national property, specifically that of stellar coordinates in the data submitted,

  5. Forbids the sale or redistribution of any data collected and disseminated by ASTRO in exchange for payment.
Last edited by Kenmoria on Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
A representative democracy with a parliament of 535 seats
Kenmoria is Laissez-Faire on economy but centre-left on social issues
Located in Europe and border France to the right and Spain below
NS stats and policies are not canon, use the factbooks
Not in the WA despite coincidentally following nearly all resolutions
This is due to a problem with how the WA contradicts democracy
However we do have a WA mission and often participate in drafting
Current ambassador: James Lewitt

For more information, read the factbooks here.

User avatar
Kranostav
Envoy
 
Posts: 277
Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:54 am

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: I recommend using the [list] code to make the subclasses stand out more and look better in contrast to the rest of the proposal.)
Code: Select all
[box][align=center][size=150]Astronomical Data Repository Act[/size][/align]
[align=center][b]Category:[/b] Education and Creativity | [b]Area:[/b] Education[/align][hr][/hr]
Intending to create a public database that will document and record unique astronomical data for the purpose of education and advancing astronomic study,

Cognisant of the need to compile astronomical information while not infringing on sovereign rights of nations to maintain secrecy in military and similar affairs,

Defines ‘astronomical data’ for the sake of this proposal as information regarding celestial and planetary attributes, astronomical features, especially including extremely unique information/data, and the stellar coordinates containing these items,

This august World Assembly, in hopes of advancing education and astronomic study, hereby:

[list=1][*]Establishes an agency within the World Assembly Scientific Programme (WASP) named ‘Astronomic Science and Technical Research Organization’ (ASTRO) and tasks it with organizing collection for, administering over, and maintaining a database of astronomical data,


[*]Urges nations to submit to ASTRO any relevant astronomical data they may posses involving various items defined above,

[list=a][*]Contributing nations may confidentially donate to ensure that national name or any identifying characteristics thereof are not associated with donated information,


[*]Contributing nations may request a temporary hold on or total prevention of release and dissemination of data they have contributed if such a situation arises that donated information might compromise the safety and integrity of the contributing nation,[/list]

[*]Permits Non-governmental entities to contribute astronomical data to ASTRO and retain the right to negotiate for appropriate compensation,

[list=a][*]Contributing non-governmental entities shall acquire approval from their respective national government, in which they acquired the data, before submission so as to prevent the release of sensitive or confidential data,


[*]Notes that parent clause in no way forcibly requires private organizations to contribute any data that they would otherwise use for monetary gain[/list]

[*]Maintains that this proposal in no manner allows or promotes trespassing on national property, specifically that of stellar coordinates in the data submitted,


[*]Forbids the sale or redistribution of any data collected and disseminated by ASTRO in exchange for payment.[/list][/box]
Astronomical Data Repository Act

Category: Education and Creativity | Area: Education


Intending to create a public database that will document and record unique astronomical data for the purpose of education and advancing astronomic study,

Cognisant of the need to compile astronomical information while not infringing on sovereign rights of nations to maintain secrecy in military and similar affairs,

Defines ‘astronomical data’ for the sake of this proposal as information regarding celestial and planetary attributes, astronomical features, especially including extremely unique information/data, and the stellar coordinates containing these items,

This august World Assembly, in hopes of advancing education and astronomic study, hereby:

  1. Establishes an agency within the World Assembly Scientific Programme (WASP) named ‘Astronomic Science and Technical Research Organization’ (ASTRO) and tasks it with organizing collection for, administering over, and maintaining a database of astronomical data,

  2. Urges nations to submit to ASTRO any relevant astronomical data they may posses involving various items defined above,

    1. Contributing nations may confidentially donate to ensure that national name or any identifying characteristics thereof are not associated with donated information,

    2. Contributing nations may request a temporary hold on or total prevention of release and dissemination of data they have contributed if such a situation arises that donated information might compromise the safety and integrity of the contributing nation,
  3. Permits Non-governmental entities to contribute astronomical data to ASTRO and retain the right to negotiate for appropriate compensation,

    1. Contributing non-governmental entities shall acquire approval from their respective national government, in which they acquired the data, before submission so as to prevent the release of sensitive or confidential data,

    2. Notes that parent clause in no way forcibly requires private organizations to contribute any data that they would otherwise use for monetary gain
  4. Maintains that this proposal in no manner allows or promotes trespassing on national property, specifically that of stellar coordinates in the data submitted,

  5. Forbids the sale or redistribution of any data collected and disseminated by ASTRO in exchange for payment.

I appreciate this! Thank you!
The North Pacific Minister of World Assembly Affairs
The WA El-eats Chef of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

User avatar
Kranostav
Envoy
 
Posts: 277
Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:40 pm

A couple questions for the drafting community as I continue my drafting process...

1) Do you believe that clause 4 (maintaining...) is necessary? I realize it does nothing but early feedback showed that it was a good distinction to make to prevent people from assuming otherwise.

2) What is your interpretation of clause 5 (forbids...) do you think there is anyway that it could be misused or abused?
The North Pacific Minister of World Assembly Affairs
The WA El-eats Chef of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

User avatar
Kenmoria
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5212
Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:32 am

Kranostav wrote:A couple questions for the drafting community as I continue my drafting process...

1) Do you believe that clause 4 (maintaining...) is necessary? I realize it does nothing but early feedback showed that it was a good distinction to make to prevent people from assuming otherwise.

2) What is your interpretation of clause 5 (forbids...) do you think there is anyway that it could be misused or abused?

(OOC:

1) I believe clause 4 is necessary to clarify the other clauses in the proposal, and does provide value of its own.

2) My interpretation of clause 5 is that any data ASTRO once possessed cannot be resold if taken specifically from the organisation.)
A representative democracy with a parliament of 535 seats
Kenmoria is Laissez-Faire on economy but centre-left on social issues
Located in Europe and border France to the right and Spain below
NS stats and policies are not canon, use the factbooks
Not in the WA despite coincidentally following nearly all resolutions
This is due to a problem with how the WA contradicts democracy
However we do have a WA mission and often participate in drafting
Current ambassador: James Lewitt

For more information, read the factbooks here.

User avatar
Kranostav
Envoy
 
Posts: 277
Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:11 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Kranostav wrote:A couple questions for the drafting community as I continue my drafting process...

1) Do you believe that clause 4 (maintaining...) is necessary? I realize it does nothing but early feedback showed that it was a good distinction to make to prevent people from assuming otherwise.

2) What is your interpretation of clause 5 (forbids...) do you think there is anyway that it could be misused or abused?

(OOC:

1) I believe clause 4 is necessary to clarify the other clauses in the proposal, and does provide value of its own.

2) My interpretation of clause 5 is that any data ASTRO once possessed cannot be resold if taken specifically from the organisation.)


1) Awesome! That was my intention!

2) I think thats the interpretation Im looking for! The goal is to prevent people from reselling data that came specifically from ASTRO while you can still use data not specifically acquired from ASTRO for monetary gain.
The North Pacific Minister of World Assembly Affairs
The WA El-eats Chef of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

User avatar
Kranostav
Envoy
 
Posts: 277
Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:15 pm

"Edited down unnecessary phrases and make language clearer."

OOC: Any questions, comments, or concerns? I sense this isn't far off from a finished product.
The North Pacific Minister of World Assembly Affairs
The WA El-eats Chef of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]

Advertisement

Remove ads