NATION

PASSWORD

[BEST DRAFT YET] WA Sovereign Immunity Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:26 pm

OOC: Is this basically a form of the doctrine of restrictive immunity?

*Matthew pulls a copy of the resolution towards him and starts annotating*

3. The World Assembly consents to adjudication for monetary damages against itself or its subsidiary entities or employees involving any dispute under contract law, except where:
a. The contract was avoided by the exercise of international legislative or judicial action;

Shouldn't section 3(a)) say:
the contract was voided by the exercise of internatioanl legislative or judicial action
(emphasis supplied)?

As for this...
5. Establishes the World Assembly Board of Claims as an impartial review board, and empowers it to:
a. Review all judgments against the World Assembly from national courts per this resolution in a timely manner;
b. Reject or remand any judgments from national courts:
(i) Based upon frivolous, spurious, or vexatious facts, law, or intent;
(ii) Conducted in a manifestly unjust manner with no regard for fair and just legal proceedings; or
(iii) Awarding damages not reasonably commensurate with those of similar claims against a national or sub-national government within the court’s jurisdiction;
c. Promulgate the legal rationale and empirical data upon which the Board relies when rejecting a judgment; and
d. Reconsider, at its discretion, any decisions containing material factual errors.

We object in the strongest terms to this provision. According to Section 4(2) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic
No Institution established in this Part may abuse its powers in such a way to subsume the powers, duties, or competences, of the other branches. Unless provided elsewhere in this Constitution, and in all circumstances, the three branches enumerated in Chapters II, III and IV of this Part exist to check and balance the powers of the other. No branch of the State may construe or exercise its powers in any way contrary to this tenet.
. Section 12 reinforces this
in accordance with the provisions of section 4(2), whereby no Federal Institution may impinge on the powers of any other, the Federal Parliament may not legislate in any way that would be to the detriment of the Federal Judiciary
Thus it is absolutely clear that no legislative body, nor its agencies, boards or subcommittees, may give directions or other instructions to the judiciary as to how they should dispose of cases. This provision is without exception. However, clause 5 in the proposal seeks to do just that - tell our judiiciary how to dispose of cases. As the Constitution also makes clear, while Thyerata recognises the binding nature of human rights and international law, this is subject to the Constitution itself, and any provisions of international law that conflict with the constitution are inapplicable in the State - see section 20(7) as follows

As the State recognises the importance of international human rights law, the Courts of the State and the Autonomous Communities, where necessary, may look to provisions of international human rights law, which shall be binding thereon save for where they conflict with this Constitution, in which case this Constitution shall take precedence.
From the Desk of the Honourable Matthew Merriweather Ph.D. (Law, 2040) LLM Public and International Law, 2036) LLB Law (2035) (all from Thyerata State University)
Thytian Ambassador to the World Assembly and Security Council

I'm a gay man with an LLM, mild Asperger syndrome and only one functioning eye. My IC posts may reflect this, so please be aware

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:40 pm

Thyerata wrote:

3. The World Assembly consents to adjudication for monetary damages against itself or its subsidiary entities or employees involving any dispute under contract law, except where:
a. The contract was avoided by the exercise of international legislative or judicial action;

Shouldn't section 3(a)) say:
the contract was voided by the exercise of internatioanl legislative or judicial action
(emphasis supplied)?

"No. Void and voidable are different concepts, and I did not want to limit myself to only one. And voidable as verb would best be used as "avoided." Don't worry, I was careful about this part."
We object in the strongest terms to this provision. According to Section 4(2) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic

"Domestic law is insufficient basis upon which to object to a WA resolution."
Thus it is absolutely clear that no legislative body, nor its agencies, boards or subcommittees, may give directions or other instructions to the judiciary as to how they should dispose of cases.

"So, you have no statutory remedies of dismissal for failure to meet certain standards in bringing a case empowered by statute? That is silly.

"The rest of this isn't important. It isn't my job to find a solution between your domestic laws and my draft."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:56 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Thyerata wrote:

Shouldn't section 3(a)) say: (emphasis supplied)?

"No. Void and voidable are different concepts, and I did not want to limit myself to only one. And voidable as verb would best be used as "avoided." Don't worry, I was careful about this part."

"Domestic law is insufficient basis upon which to object to a WA resolution."
Thus it is absolutely clear that no legislative body, nor its agencies, boards or subcommittees, may give directions or other instructions to the judiciary as to how they should dispose of cases.

"So, you have no statutory remedies of dismissal for failure to meet certain standards in bringing a case empowered by statute? That is silly.

"The rest of this isn't important. It isn't my job to find a solution between your domestic laws and my draft."

While it is true that the Constitution vests in the Parliament the ability to legislate as to the administration of justice (see section 8(3)(m)), the courts have an implied authority to promulgate rules governing their own procedures. In any event, legislation under the "justice" power usually relates to thing such as statutes of limitations that preclude the litigant from bringing a case. Because of the strong protections in the Constitution, no statute of limitations, or any legislation for that matter would say "If X, then a court must dismiss the case". Instead, such legislation would say "if X, no cases may be brought". For example, "No person may sue the Federal or Autonmous Governments for any tortious act where five years has elapsed from the date of the alleged tort", thereby implicitly precluding any suit in tort after the five year limitation period. Furthermore, where the Constitution, or any legislation, seeks to establish judicial procedure, it sets out guidelines as to the procedure that the Courts must adopt, while ultimately leaving it to them as to what the exact procedural rules are.
From the Desk of the Honourable Matthew Merriweather Ph.D. (Law, 2040) LLM Public and International Law, 2036) LLB Law (2035) (all from Thyerata State University)
Thytian Ambassador to the World Assembly and Security Council

I'm a gay man with an LLM, mild Asperger syndrome and only one functioning eye. My IC posts may reflect this, so please be aware

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:58 pm

"I'll mark that down as a Nay, then."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:42 pm

I don't see any objections from domestic constitutional bases as relevant in anyway, given GA 2's provisions.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Previous

Return to General Assembly