NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Flood Prevention

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Samaj
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

[ABANDONED] Flood Prevention

Postby Samaj » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:49 pm

Category: Environmental
Industry Affected: All Businesses - Strong

The General Assembly,

Realising that floods are natural phenomena which cannot be entirely prevented,

Noting that floods have the potential to cause fatalities, displacement of people and damage to the environment and economy,

Feeling that flood management plans should focus on prevention, protection and preparedness,

Hereby,

1. Defines "flood" as the temporary covering by water of land not normally covered by water.

2. Mandates that, for each river basin or coastal zone with a medium likely hood of flooding, Member States shall undertake a preliminary flood risk assessment, which includes at least:

a. maps of the area,

b. a description of the floods which have occurred in the past,

c. an assessment of the potential adverse consequences of future floods, taking into account the topography, the position of watercourses and their general characteristics, including floodplains as natural retention areas, the effectiveness of existing man-made flood defence infrastructures, the position of settlements and long-term developments on the occurrence of floods.

3. Mandates that Member States shall action upon any feasable potential improvements discovered in the risk assesment.
Last edited by Samaj on Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Proud Citizen of The Western Isles - Factbook - News

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:51 pm

"Category and strength? Why is this an international issue?"

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Samaj
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Samaj » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Category and strength? Why is this an international issue?"

Added category and industries affected. Floods occur all around the world and cause a great deal of harm.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:58 pm

- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Samaj
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Samaj » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:00 pm

*sighs*
Abandoned. I will give some good thought to my next draft idea instead of rushing into something.
Last edited by Samaj on Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:04 pm

Samaj wrote:I will give some good thought to my next draft idea instead of rushing into something.

OOC: The passed proposals thread can be searched with keywords, I suggest you use that function to try and check there already isn't a resolution for what you were wanting to do.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Samaj
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Samaj » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Samaj wrote:I will give some good thought to my next draft idea instead of rushing into something.

OOC: The passed proposals thread can be searched with keywords, I suggest you use that function to try and check there already isn't a resolution for what you were wanting to do.

I put "flood" in and found nothing. Next time, I will be more rigorous.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Samaj wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Category and strength? Why is this an international issue?"

Added category and industries affected. Floods occur all around the world and cause a great deal of harm.

"So does petty theft, but that doesn't mean we need a WA law about how to deal with shoplifters. Bear that in mind as you search for a new topic."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Samaj
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Samaj » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:09 pm

I am a bit confused, what does constitute international law?

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:24 pm

Samaj wrote:I am a bit confused, what does constitute international law?

OOC: In NS, WA resolutions. In RL UN resolutions that have been ratified by the majority of RL nations, EU directives for EU nations, and other treaties that have the same effect and force as laws. In NS we get to skip the whole ratifying thing; resolutions become international laws that have a higher priority than national ones if the two clash, upon passing.

So basically ask yourself if the RL UN would need to require nations to inspect their levees or if it could trust nations being reasonable enough to inspect the levees in their flood-prone areas on their own.

As for keyword searches, try to think of related words to search with and/or read through the names of the resolutions in the second post of the thread to spot likely matches.
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:28 pm

Mentoka wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:
"So does petty theft, but that doesn't mean we need a WA law about how to deal with shoplifters. Bear that in mind as you search for a new topic."

Yes, but floods affect more than one nation, and do tend to cross international borders, making this an issue of international significance. This draft is crap, and I do agree with that part, but this does merit further study.

Larry Chaffee
World Assembly Representative.

"Not really. Floods that cross international borders don't require cross-border regulation to properly address. NEXT!"

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:30 pm

Mentoka wrote:Yes, but floods affect more than one nation, and do tend to cross international borders, making this an issue of international significance. This draft is crap, and I do agree with that part, but this does merit further study.

"Any nation in which floods are a common problem and which are not properly prepared to respond to such threats are in violation of resolution #105. Such nations would be very unlikely to react to a new resolution on the same subject either."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:48 pm

EDIT: Never mind, I'm not arguing with you, UFoC. It isn't going to benefit anybody.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly