NATION

PASSWORD

[Abandoned] Gun Registration and Licensing Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Frankrussenstein
Civil Servant

Founded: May 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

[Abandoned] Gun Registration and Licensing Act

Postby Frankrussenstein » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:46 pm

The World Assembly,
Seeking to reduce gun violence in member states,
Believing that requiring those with firearms to have a license prior to the acquisition of a gun, as well as knowing who owns what guns, can reduce the likelihood of guns falling into the wrong hands,
Acknowledging that many nations guarantee a right to bear arms by citizens,
1. Establishes the World Office of Gun Legislation and Registration (henceforth referred to in this legislation as “WOGLAR”), granting it the power to:
a. Issue licenses to citizens who desire to privately own firearms (citizens who desire to own guns are henceforth referred to as “candidates”)
b. Test candidates’ knowledge of firearms, their proper storage and cleaning, and proper use of a gun
c. Conduct background checks on candidates for any criminal record or membership of recognized terrorist or hate groups
d. Conduct mental tests to ensure that candidates are mentally fit to possess guns so as to protect themselves and others from gun violence
e. Oversee the registration of firearms
2. Mandates that all firearms be registered with WOGLAR.
3. Mandates that all those who want to possess firearms acquire a license from WOGLAR.
4. Mandates that all WA member states punish those who possess guns without a license, as well as those with false gun licenses.
5. Mandates that all WA member states warn those who possess unregistered guns, and if they continue to resist registration their guns, punish them.
6. Provides a two-year grace period for all citizens to comply with these provisions.

(OOC): This is my first ever proposal, and I would very much like it to eventually be ready to be voted on. If I have made any mistakes with formatting, please correct me. I appreciate any and all criticism or advice. Thank you!
Last edited by Frankrussenstein on Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:15 pm

You need:
  1. Category and strength / Area of Effect
  2. A strong stomach to handle the criticism from players who will NEVER accept any form of WA gun legislation

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:27 pm

On mobile. But RITA prohibits this. Look it up in the passed resolutions thread, use command F.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Frankrussenstein
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Frankrussenstein » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:42 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:You need:
  1. Category and strength / Area of Effect
  2. A strong stomach to handle the criticism from players who will NEVER accept any form of WA gun legislation

Thank you. I’ll add those, and keep that in mind. What strength level would you call this?

Frankrussenstein
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Frankrussenstein » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:48 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:On mobile. But RITA prohibits this. Look it up in the passed resolutions thread, use command F.

Thank you for your input. However, I’m not sure that RITA prohibits this. Under RITA, provision 5b, wouldn’t my proposal count as “future regulations which seek to prevent firearms from being sold to or used by individuals that pose a danger of performing imminent lawless action”? If I’m missing/misunderstanding something, let me know.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:13 pm

The hole which Rita creates is solely for:
  • future regulations which
  • seek to prevent firearms from being sold to or used by individuals that
  • pose a danger of performing imminent lawless action.
You need to meet all three of those criteria. This proposal does not meet the last criterion, which must engage with the section in bold.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:51 pm

"No. Cold dead hands. Not an international issue. Send to the shredder."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Frankrussenstein
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Frankrussenstein » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:24 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:The hole which Rita creates is solely for:
You need to meet all three of those criteria. This proposal does not meet the last criterion, which must engage with the section in bold.

It would seem to me that by establishing licensing and registration, this regulation does aim to make sure guns are kept out of the hands of those who would “pose a danger of performing imminent lawless action”. If laws like this do not qualify under that category, could you give me an example of what would, or specifically tell me why a licensing/registration law would not qualify.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:27 pm

Frankrussenstein wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The hole which Rita creates is solely for:

It would seem to me that by establishing licensing and registration, this regulation does aim to make sure guns are kept out of the hands of those who would “pose a danger of performing imminent lawless action”. If laws like this do not qualify under that category, could you give me an example of what would, or specifically tell me why a licensing/registration law would not qualify.

"Incorrect. Imminent lawless action is an action, contrary to the law, that is about to happen. Not that may happen in the unsure future, but about to happen. That means permitting laws like temporary restraining orders, not licensing on the general public."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Frankrussenstein
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Frankrussenstein » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:33 pm

Okay. Then for the time being, I’ll put a bill like this on hold. Thank you for all of your input. I’ll try to look for contradictions like this before I write a proposal next time.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:51 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Incorrect. Imminent lawless action is an action, contrary to the law, that is about to happen. Not that may happen in the unsure future, but about to happen. That means permitting laws like temporary restraining orders, not licensing on the general public."

I would have said this, basically.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:10 am

Mentoka wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:
"Incorrect. Imminent lawless action is an action, contrary to the law, that is about to happen. Not that may happen in the unsure future, but about to happen. That means permitting laws like temporary restraining orders, not licensing on the general public."

OC: Imminent Lawless action? Seriously? An action is either lawful or unlawful. A lawless action would effectively be an action upon which no law has been passed or proglumated, therefore making said action lawful under basic common law. Not everyone here is American or fully versed in Brandenburg vs Ohio.

IC: If one is making public statements contrary to to peace or good public order, they should definitely be restrained from acquiring weapons in order to make good on those statements until they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they do not intend to use those weapons to carry out actions. Now that being stated, we do not in any way believe that the international community needs to be creating those regulations. This would be a sovereign matter for national governments to legislate upon.

"Fortunately, member states have plenty of room to regulate. Nationally."

Ooc: I have no idea what your ooc aside is meant to accomplish.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:43 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Mentoka wrote:OC: Imminent Lawless action? Seriously? An action is either lawful or unlawful. A lawless action would effectively be an action upon which no law has been passed or proglumated, therefore making said action lawful under basic common law. Not everyone here is American or fully versed in Brandenburg vs Ohio.

IC: If one is making public statements contrary to to peace or good public order, they should definitely be restrained from acquiring weapons in order to make good on those statements until they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they do not intend to use those weapons to carry out actions. Now that being stated, we do not in any way believe that the international community needs to be creating those regulations. This would be a sovereign matter for national governments to legislate upon.

"Fortunately, member states have plenty of room to regulate. Nationally."

Ooc: I have no idea what your ooc aside is meant to accomplish.

OOC: It's the difference between the ordinary meanings of the words unlawful and lawless, and how "imminent lawless action" appears to be an American legal term. There is a difference between the two words. Lawless action is not necessarily action contrary to the law, and could be merely reckless action as opposed to outright illegal action. However, I'm not at all sure that this is relevant. In practice the difference is immaterial. The above proposal, and indeed any that I have seen that contradicts GAR#399, no more prevents imminent reckless action than it does imminent illegal action.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:24 am

The big thing is the imminence on the action. It has to be a regulation that in fact prevents something from happening right then.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:35 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:The big thing is the imminence on the action. It has to be a regulation that in fact prevents something from happening right then.

OOC: Similar to how a liqueur store can refuse to sell you alcohol if there's a bunch of kids outside that someone has warned the shopkeeper are trying to get people to buy them alcohol, and you've been spotted taking money from them? (And yes this has happened in real life where I have actually witnessed the events.)
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:29 am

Frankrussenstein wrote:1. Establishes the World Office of Gun Legislation and Registration (henceforth referred to in this legislation as “WOGLAR”)

OOC: Against, until that horrible acronym is changed. I mean, it sounds like a nasty fungal foot disease. "What is the diagnosis doc?", "I'm sorry, your feet have contracted Woglar. It is usually contracted at public swimming pools"...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Liberimery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimery » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:38 pm

Who would have access to this registry? Gun ownership in the Democratic States of Liberimery has never involved a registry for private ownership. One of the benefits to this is that if the list is available to the criminal element, then thieves will know which house to rob that will procure a new black market firearm which can sell for a high price on the black market. How will this list prevent that from happening?

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:20 pm

Liberimery wrote:Who would have access to this registry? Gun ownership in the Democratic States of Liberimery has never involved a registry for private ownership. One of the benefits to this is that if the list is available to the criminal element, then thieves will know which house to rob that will procure a new black market firearm which can sell for a high price on the black market. How will this list prevent that from happening?

It is necessary because it is a list, a list of all guns, and guns are bad, and people who want to own bad guns are bad for wanting to own guns, and if there is a list then nobody would need to own bad guns, and if there are no guns there will be no crime, and everybody will live in a peaceful land with unicorns and a harp. That is why we need a list.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Terra Novae Libero
Spokesperson

Founded: May 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Novae Libero » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:52 pm

"The government of Terra Novae Libero vows to fight against this proposition. Our guns, our privacy, our defense.

We will never tolerate those who would remove our self-defense.

We will never give any international organization information so critical to our continued freedom.

We will never violate the essential freedoms of our citizens.

We say no to this proposed WOGLAR, and encourage you all to do the same."

-Francis Johnson, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Male, college student, US, UTC -6
My nation is kinda sorta reflective of my views, no NS stats
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." -Oscar Gamble

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:46 pm

Ooc: this has clearly been dropped.

Frankrussenstein
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Frankrussenstein » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:23 am

This draft has been dropped. However, I genuinely do not understand why so many of you interpret an attempt to make sure those who are too dangerous to possess a gun as attempting to take your guns away from you. Could any of you specifically tell me what about registration, education, and licensing takes away your ability to protect yourself?

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:25 am

Frankrussenstein wrote:This draft has been dropped. However, I genuinely do not understand why so many of you interpret an attempt to make sure those who are too dangerous to possess a gun as attempting to take your guns away from you. Could any of you specifically tell me what about registration, education, and licensing takes away your ability to protect yourself?

I suggest you ask in generals gun control megathread. For myself, I understand that it is far easier to go around seizing things, legally or otherwise, when you have a list of people who have them.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:43 am

Frankrussenstein wrote:This draft has been dropped. However, I genuinely do not understand why so many of you interpret an attempt to make sure those who are too dangerous to possess a gun as attempting to take your guns away from you. Could any of you specifically tell me what about registration, education, and licensing takes away your ability to protect yourself?

Aclion is right. If there is no draft, you no longer are on a topic proper for the GA. If you want to discuss the merits of gun control oocly, General is the forum to go to.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly