NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft]The Administration and Legality of Terra Nullius

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Lower Nubia
Minister

Founded: Dec 22, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[Draft]The Administration and Legality of Terra Nullius

Postby Lower Nubia » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:15 pm

The Administration and Legality of Terra Nullius
Category: Political Stability | Effect: Mild | Proposed by: Lower Nubia

The General Assembly,

Identifying the existence of non-administrated zones, termed terra nullius, being outside of any sovereign entity.

Defines terra nullius as a territorial dispute resulting in land free of any sovereign national control, law and jurisdictions or free of sovereign claim(s);

Established either through international treaty on the part of member states, whereby land is acknowledged as terra nullius; which is formed for: political, cultural, religious, ecological and economic reasons, whether directly or indirectly.

Noting prior resolutions failure to define terra nullius with respect to adherence to supranational law;

Owing to the World Assemblies definition of acting law working within sovereign member-states, but not beyond them to infringe on non-member sovereignty, means, therefore, that terra nullius is not under World Assembly jurisdiction; both being beyond member states sovereignty and not intervening in the sovereignty of non-member states.

Reveals the potential exploitation by member states to comply with World Assembly regulation through the abuse of this legal loophole, by circumventing regulation through actions within terra nullius: which is both non-member and non-sovereign national territory.

Hereby seeking to eliminate this circumvention, while also recognising the freedom of non-WA states in their independent disputes, and additionally recognising member states compliance with WA resolutions;

1. Formulates and requires that any member states actions within terra nullius is both consistent and acts as an extension of prior and later supranational law outlined by the World Assembly and this proposal.
  2. Protecting those sapient and non-sapient species, who utilise and are located within terra nullius, as being accorded their respective dignities and rights defined by the World Assembly.
  3. Sanctions to stop exploitation of terra nullius, judicially, economically, materially and ecologically by member states until the dispute is resolved, to protect the rights of those and that within terra nullius from intervening parties.
  4. Necessitates member states actions be in accord with what has been defined regarding terra nullius, both with regards to this proposal and therefore WA resolutions.

Additionally understands the existence of direct/indirect disputes which result in terra nullius, as defined here, as being both undesirable and unsustainable;

Hereby establishes the formation of the Terra Nullius Resolution and Protection Agency (T.N.R.P.A) to work closely with disputing parties to assure the proper treatment and maintenance of supranational law for those, and that, which is located in terra nullius.

Edit 1: Changed the operative clauses; marking identification from action clauses. Added opener to the general assembly.
Edit 2: Changed the wording to eliminate the false impression of establishing a WA nation.
Edit 3: Defined more clearly terra nullius
Edit 4: Replaced and, with or: "free of any sovereign national control, law and jurisdictions or free of sovereign claim(s)"
Last edited by Lower Nubia on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."
Signature Updated: 15th April, 2022

Erithaca
Envoy

Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:57 pm

Separate the operative (identifying, noting) clauses, which describe the background to the resolution, and active clauses (defines, recognises), which describe things that will be done. After the operative clauses, put "hereby," and prefix the whole resolution with "The General Assembly".

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:48 pm

OOC: Unless you also define "territorial dispute", you're going to cause a shitton of trouble. Also, I can't see making contested places better by declaring them entirely lawless in the definition. Further, you literally define the non-existent land as something that's outside of law and jurisdictions, yet claim it under the laws and jurisdiction of the WA - it sounds like an oxymoron and a half.

It looks like you're trying to create a "WA nation", which I'm fairly sure can't be done, since the WA acts through the member nations. If the area is defined as outside the jurisdiction of WA nations, then it is also outside the direct jurisdiction of the WA. (And could be technically grabbed up by a non-WA nation, without the WA nations in question being allowed to intervene.)

And given that Araraukar is in a stable border zone dispute (both nations claim the area, but neither has any interest in forcing the other nation to give up its claim, and more or less govern it jointly) with its nextdoor neighbour, I wouldn't be for this in IC either, even though the other nation isn't in the WA.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:17 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Unless you also define "territorial dispute", you're going to cause a shitton of trouble. Also, I can't see making contested places better by declaring them entirely lawless in the definition. Further, you literally define the non-existent land as something that's outside of law and jurisdictions, yet claim it under the laws and jurisdiction of the WA - it sounds like an oxymoron and a half.

It looks like you're trying to create a "WA nation", which I'm fairly sure can't be done, since the WA acts through the member nations. If the area is defined as outside the jurisdiction of WA nations, then it is also outside the direct jurisdiction of the WA. (And could be technically grabbed up by a non-WA nation, without the WA nations in question being allowed to intervene.)

And given that Araraukar is in a stable border zone dispute (both nations claim the area, but neither has any interest in forcing the other nation to give up its claim, and more or less govern it jointly) with its nextdoor neighbour, I wouldn't be for this in IC either, even though the other nation isn't in the WA.

I have hopefully amended what seems like an attempt at a WA nation (which was not my intention).

I feel that the oxymoron is the reason the proposal needs to exist, because WA member nations can circumvent WA resolutions, by both being beyond her jurisdiction, while not infringing on non-member sovereignty. The abuses of terra nullius status as allows these things.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:20 am

"Your new definition excludes any areas with sovereign claims, which means that a territory would not be Terra Nullius if a government hundreds of miles away lay claimed it."

(OOC: This is the RL situation with Antarctica.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:32 am

Kenmoria wrote:"Your new definition excludes any areas with sovereign claims, which means that a territory would not be Terra Nullius if a government hundreds of miles away lay claimed it."

Could the "and" in that clause be replaced with "or"?

"Defines terra nullius as a territorial dispute resulting in land free of any sovereign national control, law and jurisdictions or free of sovereign claim(s);

Established either through international treaty on the part of member states, whereby land is acknowledged as terra nullius; which is formed for: political, cultural, religious, ecological and economic reasons, whether directly or indirectly."
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:43 am

Lower Nubia wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:"Your new definition excludes any areas with sovereign claims, which means that a territory would not be Terra Nullius if a government hundreds of miles away lay claimed it."

Could the "and" in that clause be replaced with "or"?

"Defines terra nullius as a territorial dispute resulting in land free of any sovereign national control, law and jurisdictions or free of sovereign claim(s);

Established either through international treaty on the part of member states, whereby land is acknowledged as terra nullius; which is formed for: political, cultural, religious, ecological and economic reasons, whether directly or indirectly."

Yes, replacing the “and” with an “or” would be a more fitting definition.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:I feel that the oxymoron is the reason the proposal needs to exist, because WA member nations can circumvent WA resolutions, by both being beyond her jurisdiction, while not infringing on non-member sovereignty. The abuses of terra nullius status as allows these things.

OOC: But things that are outside of the WA's jurisdiction, are outside the WA's jurisdiction. The WA can only legislate for the WA member nations. It can't legislate on non-member nations. I can't help but feel like you're looking for a problem intentionally. Because if a WA nation has conquered/occupied/claimed an area as its own, the people there are then "inhabitants" and the area is within the member nation's jurisdiction, both of which mean that existing WA laws apply and there is no "land without law".
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Come on. We don't need to bold the entire proposal.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:23 pm

OOC: Okay, you seriously need to separate the preamble and the active clauses from one another (and put definitions into active clauses), because it's getting hard to tell them apart.

EDIT: Also, my sleepy-brain understanding of the language as it now is, is getting to the point where you're about to ban fishing on international waters. Possibly shipping and any kind of similar activity also.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:49 pm

"Also, you should write "this resolution" rather than "this proposal" since it won't be a proposal once it's passed."
My pronouns are he/him.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly