NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Provisional Rule in Wartime

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Doing it Rightland
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Doing it Rightland » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:27 pm

My only questions are as follows:
Separatist Peoples wrote:
  • Utilize natural and community resources to the benefit of the occupied territory, provided those resources:

1. Are not appropriated for domestic use by the occupying force; and

2. Do not create war materiel.

Could this theoretically be circumvented by utilizing resources that are either not natural/communal (ie seizing from a private entity) or already processed goods to fuel their war efforts? Like, just an example, but lets say an occupying nation seized control of a canned beverage distribution center (bear with me). They could theoretically take the cans (a finished good) and either use them for domestic use or smelt them down into metal, which could then be used in the production of weapons. Is this possible? (If there's already previous legislation for this, please let me know)

• Detonates all nuclear warheads simultaneously.

We would like this clause to be struck from the proposal.
Just a nation trying to right the wrongs it can.

"Do kayokem anmodo kemode arboyem, y mi — mi ansido na."
-Rightlandian Proverb

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:54 pm

Doing it Rightland wrote:My only questions are as follows:
  • Utilize natural and community resources to the benefit of the occupied territory, provided those resources:

1. Are not appropriated for domestic use by the occupying force; and

2. Do not create war materiel.

Could this theoretically be circumvented by utilizing resources that are either not natural/communal (ie seizing from a private entity) or already processed goods to fuel their war efforts? Like, just an example, but lets say an occupying nation seized control of a canned beverage distribution center (bear with me). They could theoretically take the cans (a finished good) and either use them for domestic use or smelt them down into metal, which could then be used in the production of weapons. Is this possible? (If there's already previous legislation for this, please let me know)

"There is already previous law on this topic. I wrote it."

• Detonates all nuclear warheads simultaneously.

We would like this clause to be struck from the proposal.

"Never. When I pass this, the world will burn in radioactive flames."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Doing it Rightland
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Doing it Rightland » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:01 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"There is already previous law on this topic. I wrote it."

Neat.

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Never. When I pass this, the world will burn in radioactive flames."

Less neat. But, aside from the nuclear detonation part, I support this.
Just a nation trying to right the wrongs it can.

"Do kayokem anmodo kemode arboyem, y mi — mi ansido na."
-Rightlandian Proverb

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:37 am

Utilize natural and community resources to the benefit of the occupied territory, provided those resources:
Are not appropriated for domestic use by the occupying force; and
Do not create war materiel.

OOC
So if the occupier wants to strengthen their field fortifications with sandbags they would have to ship the filling material for those into the territory?
As this is "may", with no "must not" beyond shipping appropriated resources back home or creating war materiel, and those lines only apply when the resources are being used "to the benefit of the occupied territory", couldn't nations read it as allowing occupiers to use those resources for the occupiers' benefit in other ways than just breathing the air & drinking the water -- such as, for example, selling valuable materials to a third party (rather than "domestically") -- as well?
What if the occupied territory's population mostly support the occupation, perhaps because they were being oppressed by their former masters?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

The ethereal lord
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The ethereal lord » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:04 am

'A "Military occupation" is the effective and provisional control and administration of a territory by a military power not sovereign to the territory that it control'
Is a military force that controls an area not the sovereign of the area?
Ambassador: Ser Gregory Finch, first of his name.
If I have them, fact book entries are the correct stats, ignore the NS nation page stats.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:15 am

The ethereal lord wrote:'A "Military occupation" is the effective and provisional control and administration of a territory by a military power not sovereign to the territory that it control'
Is a military force that controls an area not the sovereign of the area?

"No, a military is not the sovereign state."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

The ethereal lord
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The ethereal lord » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:45 am

Yes you're right. I meant isn't the controller of the military then the sovereign if they occupy the land?
Also clause 8 should obviously be kept. For the safety of all right. The ones supporting nuclear de-proliferation would like it i think.
Ambassador: Ser Gregory Finch, first of his name.
If I have them, fact book entries are the correct stats, ignore the NS nation page stats.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:56 am

The ethereal lord wrote:Yes you're right. I meant isn't the controller of the military then the sovereign if they occupy the land?
Also clause 8 should obviously be kept. For the safety of all right. The ones supporting nuclear de-proliferation would like it i think.

"Sorry for the delay. A foreign force occupying land is not the sovereign unless the territory is annexed. An occupation may be a prelude to annexation, but it is not itself annexation."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:30 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"I have considered the battlefield and occupied territory to be separate jurisdictions. A battlefield is, by its nature, a contested territory. While military superiority may not be questionable, that there is combat itself suggests the land is not uncontested. This should not interfere with battlefield seizures."
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Sorry for the delay. A foreign force occupying land is not the sovereign unless the territory is annexed. An occupation may be a prelude to annexation, but it is not itself annexation."

"So what does a contested piece of occupied territory count as? Neither nation has military forces in the area, but heavily-armed law enforcement and border patrol units do keep things civilized most of the time. Many Araraukarian citizens live in the area, and we consider it a part of our nation, but many foreigners also live there, and our northernly neighbour disagrees with our claim to it, and considers it part of their nation instead."
Last edited by Araraukar on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:41 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"I have considered the battlefield and occupied territory to be separate jurisdictions. A battlefield is, by its nature, a contested territory. While military superiority may not be questionable, that there is combat itself suggests the land is not uncontested. This should not interfere with battlefield seizures."
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Sorry for the delay. A foreign force occupying land is not the sovereign unless the territory is annexed. An occupation may be a prelude to annexation, but it is not itself annexation."

"So what does a contested piece of occupied territory count as? Neither nation has military forces in the area, but heavily-armed law enforcement and border patrol units do keep things civilized most of the time. Many Araraukarian citizens live in the area, and we consider it a part of our nation, but many foreigners also live there, and our northernly neighbour disagrees with our claim to it, and considers it part of their nation instead."

"Land that is occupied is not contested in the sense I've been using, insofar as it is under de facto control of one power. What you are describing is not within the ambit of this proposal."

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:50 pm

So at what point does an occupation become an annexation? I am unclear on this point.
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:51 pm

Falcania wrote:So at what point does an occupation become an annexation? I am unclear on this point.

"When the territory is formally incorporated into a nation as part of the nation."

Elyreia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 29, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Elyreia » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:03 pm

Falcania wrote:So at what point does an occupation become an annexation? I am unclear on this point.

Annexation means that the territory (formerly of Nation A) is now legally a part of the annexing party (Nation B). The citizens of the annexed territory no longer belong to Nation A, they are now citizens of Nation B. They pay taxes to Nation B, they are protected by Nation B, and they adhere to all laws of Nation B.

An occupation means that the territory has a permanent military presence from Nation B to prevent that territory's use by Nation A in continuing the war effort against Nation B. It's a denial of resources and territory, but not a claim of "we own this" by Nation B.
The Principality of Elyreia (Dārilarostegun Elyreia)
The Principality of Elyreia Wiki

World Assembly Ambassador: Dārilaros Korus Vaelans
Uncrowned Head of the House of Vaelans-Volaria
[he/him/she/her/they/them]
(Character Dossier)

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:51 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Land that is occupied is not contested in the sense I've been using, insofar as it is under de facto control of one power. What you are describing is not within the ambit of this proposal."

"Well, it's technically under the joint control of the two nations, but tends to be more ours whenever Miss Leveret has been visiting there recently. However, if our situation would not be affected by the proposal, then I have no objections or further questions."
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:58 am

OOC: Bump again. Looking to submit this after Self Defense Compact, I think.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:50 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: Bump again. Looking to submit this after Self Defense Compact, I think.

OOC: So what you're saying is I should move WA status to WAKK for a while? Can do. :P

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:02 am

OOC: I forgot to submit this, so...comments?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:24 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: I forgot to submit this, so...comments?
(OOC: Go ahead; this looks to be the ‘perfect’ draft, possible excluding clause 8.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:50 pm

OOC: I want to submit this, but I am apparently in a persistent depressive drafting episode and cannot muster the energy.

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:22 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: I want to submit this, but I am apparently in a persistent depressive drafting episode and cannot muster the energy.

OOC: I believe in you. You can do it!
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Umeria
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:48 pm

If this resolution was repealed, would the nuclear warheads un-detonate?
Ambassador Anthony Lockwood, at your service.
Author of GAR #389

"Umeria - We start with U"

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:21 am

Umeria wrote:If this resolution was repealed, would the nuclear warheads un-detonate?

"Ambassador, I dont know what passes for legal education in your nation, but here in the civilized world, a repeal would have a nullifying effect on all provisions repealed. Obviously the warheads would unexplode. That's just basic science."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

The New Sicilian State
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sicilian State » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:16 am

Umeria wrote:If this resolution was repealed, would the nuclear warheads un-detonate?

"Ambassador, I dont know what passes for legal education in your nation, but here in the civilized world, a repeal would have a nullifying effect on all provisions repealed. Obviously the warheads would unexplode. That's just basic science."

"Perfect. Support."
From the office of: John Crawford
Ambassador of Foreign Affairs
Office: the floor between the copier and the water fountain
Palermo Parliamentary Building
Ideological Bullshark # -26

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:31 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:Create and enforce regulations to establish effective control over the occupied territory, provided they do not violate or frustrate extant World Assembly law;

"Exactly what do you mean by "frustrate" here? Laws are not entities that could feel frustration."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:56 am

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Create and enforce regulations to establish effective control over the occupied territory, provided they do not violate or frustrate extant World Assembly law;

"Exactly what do you mean by "frustrate" here? Laws are not entities that could feel frustration."

Bell taps on a touchscreen to bring up a projector and types 'frustrate' into a search bar.
Dictionary
frus·trate
/ˈfrəstrāt/
verb
verb: frustrate; 3rd person present: frustrates; past tense: frustrated; past participle: frustrated; gerund or present participle: frustrating
prevent (a plan or attempted action) from progressing, succeeding, or being fulfilled.
"his attempt to frustrate the merger"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives