NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Smoking in the WA, Schools, and Hospitals

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

A Bright Future
Spokesperson

Founded: May 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby A Bright Future » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:41 am

Kenmoria thanks again for support with ongoing numbering issues. I do hope that was the last of them...

So here would be the exemption clause with the 'there' issue clarified.
"Allows member states exemption from clause 3 if the member state shows that no humans regularly reside within its jurisdiction and sapient species regularly residing within its jurisdiction are not negatively affected by tobacco smoke,"
That's been implemented.

I am considering the clause below as a replacement to the non-humans exemption clause. Motivation here is that "no humans" would mean that any country with human embassies for example would have to institute these smoking bans which is not necessarily reasonable. Not sure if 'regularly residing there' would cover diplomats.
Also I am concerned at putting the burden of proof on countries to show no harm. I'm not sure we want to force them to have to prove smoking is harmful. Particularly if there is no smoking in that member state, there would be no evidence base and hence very difficult to prove lack of harm. Here is an attempt at capturing some of these ideas:
Allows a member state exemption from clause 3 if the state seeking exemption can show that less than 10% of the member state's population of sapient species regularly residing in the member state are: [list][*]humans or [*]similar to humans in such a way that the same mechanisms by which smoking harms humans holds for that species or [*]of a physiology for which no evidence exists that smoking harms it

I am not sure if this kind of minority clause has been used elsewhere and if it is legal of if this change would be beneficial.

Thanks to New Min for support!

I am considering softening this resolution somewhat. A potential amendment would be to allow for smoking rooms for staff employed at the hospitals and educational facilities and removing the WA ban. What do delegates think about this? Also should I run a poll on this proposal to gauge support?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:17 am

"With regards to softening the hospital ban, I believe that will grant this proposal a greater range of support. Certain member states may find it unpalpatable to be forced to ban smoking rooms. Personally, I oppose the allowance of any smoking in hospitals, but I know that it could be considered a breach of national sovereignty for the WA to enforce this."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:39 am

OOC: Aren't the contents of the proposal in direct contradiction with the title? If memory serves, that's an illegality all on its own...
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:18 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Aren't the contents of the proposal in direct contradiction with the title? If memory serves, that's an illegality all on its own...

(OOC: Why are they a contradiction? There are controls on smoking, and these controls relieve international support from the World Assembly.)
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:39 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Aren't the contents of the proposal in direct contradiction with the title? If memory serves, that's an illegality all on its own...

(OOC: Why are they a contradiction? There are controls on smoking, and these controls relieve international support from the World Assembly.)

OOC: It literally says "International Support on Smoking".
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

A Bright Future
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby A Bright Future » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:12 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: Why are they a contradiction? There are controls on smoking, and these controls relieve international support from the World Assembly.)

OOC: It literally says "International Support on Smoking".

OOC: I don't know which rule you are referring to. Would that be a sort of honest mistake rule for proposals? The idea was that support on smoking meant support on dealing with smoking. I will revise the title for clarity.

IC: Kenmoria I am not sure if the smoking rooms would make this any more palatable to delegates opposed a priori. Smoking room exceptions would then be an unnecessary complication. That being said, I will add a smoking room exemption clause to gauge responses.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:03 pm

A Bright Future wrote:
(Image)
Basic Controls on Smoking in Schools & Hospitals
Category: Health | Area of Effect: Healthcare | Proposed by: A Bright Future

Acknowledging the overwhelming scientific evidence that tobacco smoke is detrimental to the health of humans exposed to it, particularly those of ill health and minors, while evidence regarding other sapients still requires further research,

Noting that individuals are not banned from engaging in self-harming activities but that WA law institutes protections for individuals against harm by others,

Distraught that the tobacco industry has at times shown a disregard for the evidence on smoking, promoted dishonest appraisals of such evidence, and sought to influence legislatures so as to prevent anti-smoking policies,

The General Assembly, therefore:

1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution, “smoking” as the combustion of tobacco and the release of resultant gasses for inhalation and/or to the surrounding air,

2. Asserts that smoking is detrimental to human smokers and humans in their vicinity.

3. Prohibits in member states smoking inside educational facilities for minors and any healthcare facilities, except in areas intended only for staff employed at those facilities.

4. Allows a member state exemption from clause 3 if the member state shows that no humans regularly reside within its jurisdiction and sapient species regularly residing within its jurisdiction are not negatively affected by tobacco smoke,

5. Strongly encourages member states to institute anti-smoking legislation more stringent than that of the provisions of this resolution while respecting international laws,

6. Prohibits smoking inside buildings hosting the WA or any organization established under its auspices,

7. Mandates the WA Office of Building Management to, position abundant “No Smoking” signage in the WA headquarters and to provide there smoking areas which:
  1. are placed so as to prevent tobacco smoke in significant concentrations from entering any buildings,
  2. are of sufficient size and quantity to service smokers employed at or visiting the WA headquarters,
  3. shall be well ventilated,
  4. can be approached from the WA headquarters without exposure to precipitation,
8. Requires compliance with clauses 3, 6 and 7 by no later than one year after the passing of this resolution, with the exception of member states who apply for extension which can grant them a maximum of two additional years for achieving compliance,

9. Mandates the World Health Authority (WHA) to periodically review evidence on smoking and publish its findings in scientific terms as well as simple terms accessible to laypersons,

10. Mandates the WHA to periodically provide member states with evidence on the most effective means by which to reduce smoking and related health impacts,

11. Mandates the WA Food and Drug Regulatory Agency to periodically consult with member states and the World Health Authority on safety and quality screening as well as labelling of tobacco products, to collect evidence on these measures, and to report its findings.

I would get rid of the use of italics. There's no need for it. I honestly think it looks better without them.

But at least a few bullet points. I'm quite partial to action to combat addictions. I think the Millian paternalism justification applies quite strongly here.

• You'll get flak from the people who say that non-humans are in the Assembly too for your first clause. My ambassador though, has never seen a non-human that isn't just a guy in a suit or some kind of practical effect controlled by a human. Because in my RP, they don't exist. Making shit up has never been easier.

• You could use the second line to expand on the ethical justification for paternalism here. I think the Millian standard is quite common. There's a summary of it on Stanford's Encyclopaedia of Philosophy. Showing how it applies would bolster your argument: "Believing that, insofar as people are incapable of internalising harms or even conceiving of their magnitude before making a choice that cannot easily be reversed, society as a whole has both a responsibility and justification to take regulatory action". Or something like that.

• I think the distraught line could probably be clearer for the hoi palloi if you painted tobacco as a corrupting influence on politics. Effectively, that it uses profits to bribe politicians to act against the public good.

• You don't need clause 2. And assertions are prima facie weak.

• In clause 3, I would recommend changing the line about intent to a line about well-ventilated spaces, basically, to avoid second-hand smoke being a major issue. This would more effectively pursue a goal of preventing an unwanted externality being applied to children. I think that it could also be expanded. Unwanted negative externalities should prima facie not be applied on anyone absent their consent or extreme enforcement costs.

• If you really want to keep clause 4, you can (1) combine it into clause 3 and (2) talk about organisms which are not affected by tobacco smoke rather than non-humans. That's more clear and gets more succinctly to what you're trying for.

• Clauses 6 and 7 can almost certainly be folded into a single longer clause that thematically deals with the WA's building regulations.

• Similarly consolidated could be the clauses having to do with public service announcements. I would also probably include restrictions on adverts or packaging, but I think that would require a repeal of Freedom of Expression. And that fact makes FoE even more absurd. I think I've found a new hill.
On formatting extranea, sections in this format generally end with semicolons. With the inclusion of an 'and' in the second to last clause and the last clause ending with a full stop. Similarly included should be the penultimate 'and' in the listing of the preamble.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:43 am

(OOC: I've just had a look, and I can't see any passed resolution with an ampersand in the title, it might be worth checking if they display correctly in GA titles.)
My pronouns are he/him.

A Bright Future
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby A Bright Future » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Italics removed. preamb 1, discusses sapient species only. preamb 2, added clarification that second hand smoke is related to freedom from harm. The distraught line has been simplified. Clause 2 has been removed. semi-colons and ands added.
'prohibits' clause subsumed 'non-humans' clause, also WA building clauses consolidated. Very very helpful. Thank you!

I can see where you are going with the issues around irreversibility, not adequately recognizing harms, and so on. However I think those are more nuanced angles. I think the freedom from harm angle is sufficient here. I dont want to overcomplicate the preamble. I have clarified that freedom from harm relates to second hand smoke there.

Clause 3, I've removed the intended for employees only part. I was thinking about teachers lounges being left unregulated but its just a hassle.

I know scope could be extended however I want to keep a tighter scope here because the previous attempt failed with a wider scope and something is better than nothing.

This got me thinking about FoE but I decided to leave it, I have now pushed that project on academic fraud out early because I don't think we should repeal FoE.

Thanks very much for this detailed response Imperium Anglorum!

Thanks Kenmoria for ongoing support here! I will look to change it!
Last edited by A Bright Future on Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:14 pm

OOC: When you do choose to submit this, are you aware that you'll need to campaign for it via telegram stamps or the API?

A Bright Future
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby A Bright Future » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:50 am

United Massachusetts wrote:OOC: When you do choose to submit this, are you aware that you'll need to campaign for it via telegram stamps or the API?

Ooc: Yes I am. I have already sent out some telegrams manually but have had very limited response. Will need to look into it in more detail. Particularly what API is and how to use it. Any references and resources to help me out there would be greatly appreciated.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:49 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:OOC: When you do choose to submit this, are you aware that you'll need to campaign for it via telegram stamps or the API?

An interesting thought. I've been actually working on a guide to campaigns. Well, I started writing it and stopped for a while. Maybe I'll finish it.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

A Bright Future
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby A Bright Future » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:45 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:

An interesting thought. I've been actually working on a guide to campaigns. Well, I started writing it and stopped for a while. Maybe I'll finish it.

OOC: Can you send me what you have so far or any good references on campaigns in NS? I'm thinking this will get submitted relatively soon.

Erithaca
Envoy

Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:27 pm

Maybe be more specific about health problem caused by smoking in the preamble.

A Bright Future
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby A Bright Future » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:57 am

Erithaca wrote:Maybe be more specific about health problem caused by smoking in the preamble.

Good idea! I'll do that now.

Im prepping the campaign by the way.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:55 am

A Bright Future wrote:
Erithaca wrote:Maybe be more specific about health problem caused by smoking in the preamble.

Good idea! I'll do that now.

Im prepping the campaign by the way.

OOC: If you're changing the draft, don't submit it yet.
Last edited by Araraukar on Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

A Bright Future
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby A Bright Future » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:01 pm

OOC: Ok! Final batch of comments implemented. Campaign telegram ready to go. If you have any final call comments speak now or forever hold your peace. Assuming no substantial comments, I will be submitting in about 20 hours.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:18 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:I think I've found a new hill.

Well, seemingly, the hill has been climbed. However it is, I think you should wait until the current resolution passes and then update or include advertising regulations accordingly.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Ransium
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 17, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ransium » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:52 pm

Dude it’s been 10 days? Why such a rush?

Commended by SC 236,
WA Delegate of Forest from March 20th, 2007 to August 19, 2020.
Author of WA Resolutions: SC 221, SC 224, SC 233, SC 243, SC 265, GA 403, GA 439, GA 445,GA 463,GA 465,
Issues Editor since January 20th, 2017 with some down time.
Author of 27 issues. First editor of 44.
Moderator since November 10th 2017 with some down time.

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:29 pm

You're banning smoking within the Strangers' Bar? Unthinkable! How dare you!
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

A Bright Future
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby A Bright Future » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:03 am

This is about smoking bans. Im leaving ads to a different resolution.

I didnt think I was getting any more substantive comments. So i figured im ready to go.

Fine. Strangers' got an exemption.
Last edited by A Bright Future on Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

New Min
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Min » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:00 am

OOC: You never know when someone will give an extra comment. You should wait at least another 10 days.
MINISTER OF WORLD ASSEMBLY AFFAIRS
of The People's Republic of The Communist Bloc

Central Committee member
Justice on The People's Tribunal

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:52 am

"Clause 4a, 4b and 4d are in the present tense, but 4c is in the future tense."
New Min wrote:OOC: You never know when someone will give an extra comment. You should wait at least another 10 days.
(OOC: I agree, there is little point in rushing submission.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:56 am

Find a shorter title.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

A Bright Future
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby A Bright Future » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:40 am

Tenses harmonized and title shortened.

Believing firmly that all work is stretched out to exactly how much time is allocated to it,
Wishing, to take on board advice given,
ABF hereby:
1. Extends the submission deadline for this proposal to Friday 23.59 GMT.
2. Allows for further extensions should substantive comments arise.
3. Prohibits further extensions on the basis of the amount of time elapsed since draft initiation.
4. Reserves the right to miss the deadline due to RL considerations.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly