NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Ban on Conversion Therapy

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
The Holy Cee
Attaché
 
Posts: 74
Founded: May 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Cee » Tue May 29, 2018 7:05 pm

"Ambassador, forgive me. But I cannot help to think that this resolution is -uhh.... a bit one sided for my view. Well, what I mean to say is that what about 'conversion therapy' conducted by LGBT individuals or persons on heterosexuals and the like?"
Last edited by The Holy Cee on Tue May 29, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Zone 71
Envoy
 
Posts: 226
Founded: Apr 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:36 pm

The Holy Cee wrote:"Ambassador, forgive me. But I cannot help to think that this resolution is -uhh.... a bit one sided for my view. Well, what I mean to say is that what about 'conversion therapy' conducted by LGBT individuals or persons on heterosexuals and the like?"

*Cricket noises*

"Are you being serious, ambassador?"

User avatar
The Holy Cee
Attaché
 
Posts: 74
Founded: May 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Cee » Tue May 29, 2018 8:04 pm

Zone 71 wrote:
The Holy Cee wrote:"Ambassador, forgive me. But I cannot help to think that this resolution is -uhh.... a bit one sided for my view. Well, what I mean to say is that what about 'conversion therapy' conducted by LGBT individuals or persons on heterosexuals and the like?"

*Cricket noises*

"Are you being serious, ambassador?"


"Why yes, the Holy Ceean Inquisitorial Office has numerous cases and reports of abused minors who are being 'influenced' by LGBT individuals. We are merely clarifying if the proposed resolution tackles or would care to tackle this other side of the fence. The stance of the Holy Cee is FOR the proposed resolution in it's current form. The proposed resolution is in line with our government's policy. We do not force people to undergo 'conversion therapy'. Ceeans do so on their own.", he adjusts his spetacles a bit. "Perhaps I am applying the wrong terminology to what I am pointing out."
Last edited by The Holy Cee on Tue May 29, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Zone 71
Envoy
 
Posts: 226
Founded: Apr 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:32 am

The Holy Cee wrote:
Zone 71 wrote:*Cricket noises*

"Are you being serious, ambassador?"


"Why yes, the Holy Ceean Inquisitorial Office has numerous cases and reports of abused minors who are being 'influenced' by LGBT individuals. We are merely clarifying if the proposed resolution tackles or would care to tackle this other side of the fence. The stance of the Holy Cee is FOR the proposed resolution in it's current form. The proposed resolution is in line with our government's policy. We do not force people to undergo 'conversion therapy'. Ceeans do so on their own.", he adjusts his spetacles a bit. "Perhaps I am applying the wrong terminology to what I am pointing out."


Ambassador Crane looks at the Ceean ambassador with a shocked expression. "So you would have me believe that homosexuals oppress heterosexuals with some form of 'conversion therapy' or through other behavioral influences, as a homophobic organization would with conventional conversion therapy towards the LGBT community? Ridiculous," he says in a spiteful, dismissive tone towards the Ceean ambassador.

User avatar
Kenmoria
Senator
 
Posts: 3724
Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Kenmoria » Wed May 30, 2018 4:24 am

Zone 71 wrote:
The Holy Cee wrote:
"Why yes, the Holy Ceean Inquisitorial Office has numerous cases and reports of abused minors who are being 'influenced' by LGBT individuals. We are merely clarifying if the proposed resolution tackles or would care to tackle this other side of the fence. The stance of the Holy Cee is FOR the proposed resolution in it's current form. The proposed resolution is in line with our government's policy. We do not force people to undergo 'conversion therapy'. Ceeans do so on their own.", he adjusts his spetacles a bit. "Perhaps I am applying the wrong terminology to what I am pointing out."


Ambassador Crane looks at the Ceean ambassador with a shocked expression. "So you would have me believe that homosexuals oppress heterosexuals with some form of 'conversion therapy' or through other behavioral influences, as a homophobic organization would with conventional conversion therapy towards the LGBT community? Ridiculous," he says in a spiteful, dismissive tone towards the Ceean ambassador.
Slightly surprised at the whole conversation, Ambassador Lewitt interjects, "I do feel obligated to point out that the resolution as written would prohibit coercing heterosexuals into homosexuals, as that still results in a change in sexual orientation. Despite the preamble mentioning LGBT youth undergoing conversion “therapy”, being LGBT isn't in the active clauses."
A representative democracy with a parliament of 535 seats
Kenmoria is Laissez-Faire on economy but centre-left on social issues
Located in Europe and border France to the right and Spain below
NS stats and policies are not canon, use the factbooks
Not in the WA despite coincidentally following nearly all resolutions
This is due to a problem with how the WA contradicts democracy
However we do have a WA mission and often participate in drafting
Current ambassador: James Lewitt

For more information, read the factbooks here.

User avatar
United Massachusetts
Minister
 
Posts: 2147
Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby United Massachusetts » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:00 am

"Pardon me, I'm well acquainted with these sorts of individuals. I believe the 'conversion therapy' that the ambassador from the "Holy" Cee refers to is some conspiracy of a homosexual agenda taking over civilization. In other words, nonsense.

Furthermore, I will note that the actual operative clauses outlaw any attempts to forcibly change the sexual orientation of an individual, regardless of which way this applies. In short, actual cases of LGBT individuals trying to pressure heterosexual individuals to change their sexuality would be covered as well under the actual text of the resolution."

"Furthermore, are there any other comments, or may I prepare for submission?"
Last edited by United Massachusetts on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
United Massachusetts
World Assembly Mission

Pro-Life Social Democratic Catholic
Ambassador: Bishop Alexander Pierce

WA Affairs Minister, The East Pacific
Assistant: Father Carl Sullivan

Fmr. President, Right to Life
Queen Yuno wrote:You have a very contradictory rep yourself, [UM].
Sanctaria wrote:We get it. You're pro-life.
Davelands wrote:(UM tries to slip another one by)
Wallenburg wrote:You've got to be the most ignorant person on this Discord.
Davelands wrote:Remember that United Mass is extremely on the religious right side. Look for hidden gotcha's for later. He is playing a long game with proposals...
"Stat crux dum volvitur orbis"
"The Cross is steady while the world is turning"


User avatar
The Holy Cee
Attaché
 
Posts: 74
Founded: May 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Cee » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:23 am

"Nonsense?!", the Holy Ceean ambassador expresses his disbelief. "I would not cite the aforementioned scenario if it were not occurring in our nation. *coughs* I would assume such scenario has not happened in your respective nations?", he raises an eyebrow to this. "Nonetheless, I thank you for clearing our nation's concern. We will support your proposed resolution." He hurriedly leaves the room.
Last edited by The Holy Cee on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
United Massachusetts
Minister
 
Posts: 2147
Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby United Massachusetts » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:30 am

"I hope you'll pardon the ignorance of certain members of my faith. Rest assured, their misinterpretations of doctrine do not reflect United Massachusetts or its values."

OOC: I'm just kidding, Holy See. I like your religious wars draft.
Last edited by United Massachusetts on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
United Massachusetts
World Assembly Mission

Pro-Life Social Democratic Catholic
Ambassador: Bishop Alexander Pierce

WA Affairs Minister, The East Pacific
Assistant: Father Carl Sullivan

Fmr. President, Right to Life
Queen Yuno wrote:You have a very contradictory rep yourself, [UM].
Sanctaria wrote:We get it. You're pro-life.
Davelands wrote:(UM tries to slip another one by)
Wallenburg wrote:You've got to be the most ignorant person on this Discord.
Davelands wrote:Remember that United Mass is extremely on the religious right side. Look for hidden gotcha's for later. He is playing a long game with proposals...
"Stat crux dum volvitur orbis"
"The Cross is steady while the world is turning"


User avatar
Desmosthenes and Burke
Envoy
 
Posts: 209
Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:27 am

The Holy Cee wrote:"Nonsense?!", the Holy Ceean ambassador expresses his disbelief. "I would not cite the aforementioned scenario if it were not occurring in our nation. *coughs* I would assume such scenario has not happened in your respective nations?", he raises an eyebrow to this. "Nonetheless, I thank you for clearing our nation's concern. We will support your proposed resolution." He hurriedly leaves the room.


Iulia turned her head to the side. "Pardon, Ambassador," she said as the man made to leave. "Is this conversion to homosexuality showing any signs of effectiveness? If it could somehow compel bisexuality for my husbands, we might have to look into booking a holiday."

Shrugging, she turned back. "We have no further commentary on the draft. We hope to see it at vote in the near future."

User avatar
Kenmoria
Senator
 
Posts: 3724
Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:03 am

"In the noting clause, I would add something about sexual orientation being unchangable, make conversion “therapy” useless."
Last edited by Kenmoria on Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A representative democracy with a parliament of 535 seats
Kenmoria is Laissez-Faire on economy but centre-left on social issues
Located in Europe and border France to the right and Spain below
NS stats and policies are not canon, use the factbooks
Not in the WA despite coincidentally following nearly all resolutions
This is due to a problem with how the WA contradicts democracy
However we do have a WA mission and often participate in drafting
Current ambassador: James Lewitt

For more information, read the factbooks here.

User avatar
United Massachusetts
Minister
 
Posts: 2147
Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby United Massachusetts » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:30 pm

Kenmoria wrote:"In the noting clause, I would add something about sexual orientation being unchangabe, make conversion “therapy” useless."

"Consider it done."
United Massachusetts
World Assembly Mission

Pro-Life Social Democratic Catholic
Ambassador: Bishop Alexander Pierce

WA Affairs Minister, The East Pacific
Assistant: Father Carl Sullivan

Fmr. President, Right to Life
Queen Yuno wrote:You have a very contradictory rep yourself, [UM].
Sanctaria wrote:We get it. You're pro-life.
Davelands wrote:(UM tries to slip another one by)
Wallenburg wrote:You've got to be the most ignorant person on this Discord.
Davelands wrote:Remember that United Mass is extremely on the religious right side. Look for hidden gotcha's for later. He is playing a long game with proposals...
"Stat crux dum volvitur orbis"
"The Cross is steady while the world is turning"


User avatar
United Massachusetts
Minister
 
Posts: 2147
Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby United Massachusetts » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:22 pm

"Barring further comment, this will be submitted in the next 24 hours."
United Massachusetts
World Assembly Mission

Pro-Life Social Democratic Catholic
Ambassador: Bishop Alexander Pierce

WA Affairs Minister, The East Pacific
Assistant: Father Carl Sullivan

Fmr. President, Right to Life
Queen Yuno wrote:You have a very contradictory rep yourself, [UM].
Sanctaria wrote:We get it. You're pro-life.
Davelands wrote:(UM tries to slip another one by)
Wallenburg wrote:You've got to be the most ignorant person on this Discord.
Davelands wrote:Remember that United Mass is extremely on the religious right side. Look for hidden gotcha's for later. He is playing a long game with proposals...
"Stat crux dum volvitur orbis"
"The Cross is steady while the world is turning"


User avatar
The Holy Cee
Attaché
 
Posts: 74
Founded: May 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Cee » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:14 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:"I hope you'll pardon the ignorance of certain members of my faith. Rest assured, their misinterpretations of doctrine do not reflect United Massachusetts or its values."

OOC: I'm just kidding, Holy See. I like your religious wars draft.


OOC: Yeah no offense taken. It was fun roleplaying with you people. I'm a bit fairly new to this conversion therapy concept as it is not common here in our country and your draft forced me to research about the topic. Thanks, I'd like a comment or two on the draft if you'd oblige.
Last edited by The Holy Cee on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Aexnidaral
Attaché
 
Posts: 99
Founded: Aug 25, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aexnidaral » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:20 pm

I like the intent behind this-- it's not perfect but I support it.
Europeia's World Assembly Delegate and Minister of World Assembly

User avatar
Kenmoria
Senator
 
Posts: 3724
Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:39 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:"Barring further comment, this will be submitted in the next 24 hours."

"You have this delagation's support FOR this proposal."
A representative democracy with a parliament of 535 seats
Kenmoria is Laissez-Faire on economy but centre-left on social issues
Located in Europe and border France to the right and Spain below
NS stats and policies are not canon, use the factbooks
Not in the WA despite coincidentally following nearly all resolutions
This is due to a problem with how the WA contradicts democracy
However we do have a WA mission and often participate in drafting
Current ambassador: James Lewitt

For more information, read the factbooks here.

User avatar
Christian Democrats
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 9977
Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:49 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:"Barring further comment, this will be submitted in the next 24 hours."

I don't see how this proposal complies with this Assembly's resolutions on freedom of speech and freedom of religion. How can you prohibit people from "recommending" conversion therapy without running afoul of free speech and free exercise rights?

EDIT: Also, what's the rationale for your choice of category?
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

User avatar
Sierra Lyricalia
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 3090
Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:27 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:"Barring further comment, this will be submitted in the next 24 hours."

I don't see how this proposal complies with this Assembly's resolutions on freedom of speech and freedom of religion. How can you prohibit people from "recommending" conversion therapy without running afoul of free speech and free exercise rights?

OOC: The recommendation ban for private persons/organizations is limited to recommending the practice to minors, who are protected in several other resolutions from the effects of certain rights and freedoms. GAR #30 itself allows for explicit restrictions on expression "in order to prevent... violence against any individual..." Considering how these conversion "therapies" are performed, that alone is sufficient to ban [recommending] the practice even for "consenting" adults as far as I'm concerned, though this proposal doesn't go that far. Clauses 3 and 7 of GAR #430 "Freedom of Religion" likewise allow for the suppression of harmful practices "to advance a compelling, practical public interest." TL;dr I don't see a contradiction issue here.

EDIT: Also, what's the rationale for your choice of category?

This is a good question. I'm curious as well.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Petty Officer, The Red Fleet
The Mostly Alright Steph Zakalwe *
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
S.L. Ambassador to the World Assembly
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis,
Illustrious Bum #279
Ambassador-At-Large
Pol. Compass: Econ. -5 to -8, Soc. -8 to -9 (depending), 8values: LibSoc
"When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People’s Stick.'" -Mikhail Bakunin (to Karl Marx)


User avatar
Christian Democrats
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 9977
Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:27 am

I don't see how the GA or a member state could ban the recommendation of anything. By the logic of this proposal, a person posting on an internet forum would be hauled off to prison if he told homosexual users that they should consider religious counseling.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

User avatar
Polarisium
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 41
Founded: Jan 18, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Polarisium » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:48 am

Polarisium strongly supports the criticism of this document. The author fails to notice that his resolution does not have any mechanisms for making sure it is followed in every individual WA member state. For example, The wording of this document strongly suggests that it is organizations that recommend anything to individuals, when in fact individuals may be used by organizations to circumvent this resolution. Moreover, should an oversight mechanism ever come into existance, it will pave way for abuses of power and endless problems for private counseling establishments.

Thus the document is effectively useless as circumventing it is easy and impossible to prove in court, and if it ever tries to become relevant, attacks on the freedom of speech of individuals will be guaranteed to follow which is unacceptable for not only Polarisium but indeed the majority of the World Assembly.
Last edited by Polarisium on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip"

User avatar
Pallaith
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 24
Founded: Sep 20, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pallaith » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:02 am

The North Pacific is having a lot of trouble with this “recommendation” thing as well. We would be okay with this restriction if the recommendations being referenced were binding on the people receiving them, or were taken as some kind of authoritative diagnosis, but restriction of opinions doesn’t seem enforceable. Perhaps that should be reworded or clarified so it doesn’t appear to be restricting free speech or thought.
The Rebellious Revenants of Pallaith
Former capital district of the nation Ghostopolis
Delegate of The North Pacific
Represented by Ambassador Malcolm Specter on the international stage

User avatar
Kenmoria
Senator
 
Posts: 3724
Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:06 am

Polarisium wrote:Polarisium strongly supports the criticism of this document. The author fails to notice that his resolution does not have any mechanisms for making sure it is followed in every individual WA member state.

(OOC: It is generally assumed by resolutions that all their mandates will be followed by default, so a resolution doesn't have to say how its clauses would be enforced.)
A representative democracy with a parliament of 535 seats
Kenmoria is Laissez-Faire on economy but centre-left on social issues
Located in Europe and border France to the right and Spain below
NS stats and policies are not canon, use the factbooks
Not in the WA despite coincidentally following nearly all resolutions
This is due to a problem with how the WA contradicts democracy
However we do have a WA mission and often participate in drafting
Current ambassador: James Lewitt

For more information, read the factbooks here.

User avatar
Sierra Lyricalia
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 3090
Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:33 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:I don't see how the GA or a member state could ban the recommendation of anything. By the logic of this proposal, a person posting on an internet forum would be hauled off to prison if he told homosexual users that they should consider religious counseling.


OOC: recommendation of religious counseling is a far cry from recommendation of conversion therapy. The latter is much closer to recommending self-mutilation or even suicide (which is definitively punishable by law in some jurisdictions). The right to freedom of expression has never been absolute, and as far as I know has never included the right to tell someone to hurt themselves. Considering the methods and common outcomes of conversion therapy, there's no conflict with high principles in forbidding its advocacy to minors.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Petty Officer, The Red Fleet
The Mostly Alright Steph Zakalwe *
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
S.L. Ambassador to the World Assembly
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis,
Illustrious Bum #279
Ambassador-At-Large
Pol. Compass: Econ. -5 to -8, Soc. -8 to -9 (depending), 8values: LibSoc
"When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People’s Stick.'" -Mikhail Bakunin (to Karl Marx)


User avatar
Christian Democrats
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 9977
Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:42 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:I don't see how the GA or a member state could ban the recommendation of anything. By the logic of this proposal, a person posting on an internet forum would be hauled off to prison if he told homosexual users that they should consider religious counseling.

OOC: recommendation of religious counseling is a far cry from recommendation of conversion therapy. The latter is much closer to recommending self-mutilation or even suicide (which is definitively punishable by law in some jurisdictions). The right to freedom of expression has never been absolute, and as far as I know has never included the right to tell someone to hurt themselves. Considering the methods and common outcomes of conversion therapy, there's no conflict with high principles in forbidding its advocacy to minors.

The definition of conversion therapy in this proposal is very broad: "any attempt to change the sexual orientation of an individual through psychological, spiritual, or physical intervention." If a teenager recommended that a homosexual friend attend a Theology of the Body class, for example, he could very well face prison time under this proposal. That's not consistent with this Assembly's resolutions on freedom of speech and religion. Using the GenSec panel, I voted that an earlier conversion therapy proposal was legal because its scope was limited to coercive attempts to change a person's sexual orientation. It did not include a ban on recommendations either.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

User avatar
Auralia
Senator
 
Posts: 4905
Founded: Dec 15, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Auralia » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:22 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:Noting that countless analyses, studies, and evidenced-based tests have conclusively shown what already makes intuitive sense, that sexual orientation is not a choice, thus rendering conversion therapy useless,

That sexual orientation is not a choice, or that existing methods that purport to change sexual orientation are harmful and ineffective, does not mean that sexual orientation cannot in principle be changed or that any attempt to do so should be categorically forbidden.

We would support a change to this proposal to limit it to coercive attempts to change a person's sexual orientation, or to attempts to change a person's sexual orientation that are known to be harmful and ineffective.

We would also like this proposal to clarify that encouraging persons with same-sex attraction to live in chastity does not constitute an attempt to change a person's sexual orientation.

Martin Russell
Chief Ambassador, Auralian Mission to the World Assembly
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
Also known as Railana

"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

User avatar
Kranostav
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 171
Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:16 pm

Auralia wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:Noting that countless analyses, studies, and evidenced-based tests have conclusively shown what already makes intuitive sense, that sexual orientation is not a choice, thus rendering conversion therapy useless,

That sexual orientation is not a choice, or that existing methods that purport to change sexual orientation are harmful and ineffective, does not mean that sexual orientation cannot in principle be changed or that any attempt to do so should be categorically forbidden.

We would support a change to this proposal to limit it to coercive attempts to change a person's sexual orientation, or to attempts to change a person's sexual orientation that are known to be harmful and ineffective.

We would also like this proposal to clarify that encouraging persons with same-sex attraction to live in chastity does not constitute an attempt to change a person's sexual orientation.

Martin Russell
Chief Ambassador, Auralian Mission to the World Assembly

I tend to agree with most of this statement, while I have my own opinions on conversion therapy and the lot, I believe that one should have the ability to willingly subject themselves to it if they really want to. Of course they should not be misled into this choice but rather shown relevant data to help them make the decision that is best for them. However under no circumstances should people be forced to endure this conversion therapy.

As for your second point Auralia, I would argue that promoting chastity for heterosexual people doesn't render them not heterosexual, so the same logic should apply for homosexuals
The North Pacific Minister of World Assembly Affairs
The Constitutional Monarchy of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Greater vakolicci haven

Advertisement

Remove ads