NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] A Convention on Freshwater Shortages

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:51 am

First comment: The current draft seems a bit too confused about whether it's about limiting people's use of water for the benefit of the environment, which would fit the designated category, or about ensuring drinking-water supplies for people...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Zone 71
Envoy

Founded: Apr 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:05 am

Bears Armed wrote:First comment: The current draft seems a bit too confused about whether it's about limiting people's use of water for the benefit of the environment, which would fit the designated category, or about ensuring drinking-water supplies for people...

OOC: Could you explain where this confusion comes from so I can rectify it?

Zone 71
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:21 am

OOC: I hope to submit this proposal soon unless anyone would like to share any constructive criticism it objections to the proposal.
Last edited by Zone 71 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zone 71
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:24 am

OOC: I will be submitting the proposal today, tomorrow, or the day after unless there are any more objections or criticism to be made. I've been having trouble with my API and until I get it fixed, I won't be able to submit my proposal.

Thank you all for helping me shape this proposal, and for taking the time to share your insightful tips and constructive criticism.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:53 am

Zone 71 wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:First comment: The current draft seems a bit too confused about whether it's about limiting people's use of water for the benefit of the environment, which would fit the designated category, or about ensuring drinking-water supplies for people...

OOC: Could you explain where this confusion comes from so I can rectify it?

The current preamble is almost completely about shortages of clean drinking water for people, rather than about the environmental effects of people using too much water: There's one throw-away reference to "pollution", but even that seems to be in the context of reducing drinking-water quality rather than damage to the environment.

Operative clause 1: just a definition, so context not as relevant.
Operative clause 2: Doesn't actually explain which purpose member nations are to improve management of their freshwater supplies for.
Operative clause 3: Okay, that does fit the category.
Operative clause 4: rather vague on the the details of what the public are to be taught (see my comment on clause 2).
Operative clause 5: What is an "irrigated agricultural basin", and how would creating them in those member nations that currently don't practice artificial irrigation of agriculture at all help to prevent water shortages? (The rest of the clause could be about improving the environment as well as about improving drinking-water supplies, but nothing in the preamble really tells member nations that this is what they should be aiming at...)
Operative clause 6: Okay.
Operative clause 7: the 1st & 4th sub-clauses are explicitly about drinking-water supplies rather than environmental protection; the 2nd & 3rd sub-clause don't explain whether they're to help protect the environment or to help with drinking-water supplies.

Essentially you need to re-focus the preamble onto the environmental consequences of over-use of freshwater, rather than on its effects on the drinking-water supply, so that the member nations know that that is what they're supposed to be doing under the operative clauses.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:45 pm

OOC: I don't think it's ready for submission - the things Bears pointed out include some of the issues from earlier that still exist. I probably have my earlier critique somewhere in my sent TGs if you'd like me to reiterate those points?

Edit: My "brain not too melted to think NationStates" hours continue to be 1-3 daily due to RL weather persisting on the sweltering hot, so haven't been on a lot lately. Sorry about that.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Zone 71
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:01 pm

OOC: I updated the draft. I'm hoping to submit this proposal soon. It has been in the works for several months, I feel confident of the current version, and I would like to be done with it rather than spend more weeks or months on it.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:14 pm

Why does the the prohibition in clause 6 only apply to the business sector?
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Zone 71
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:20 pm

Aclion wrote:Why does the the prohibition in clause 6 only apply to the business sector?

I'll expand it to apply to the entire nation.

Zone 71
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:59 am

OOC: I'll likely submit the proposal tomorrow unless there are further edits to be made.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:02 am

OOC: It's still a lot more about protecting drinking-eater water supplies than about protecting the environment. I still don't see it as fitting into the 'Environmental' Category.

Zone 71
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:22 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC: It's still a lot more about protecting drinking-eater water supplies than about protecting the environment. I still don't see it as fitting into the 'Environmental' Category.

OOC: Although the proposed legislation focuses moreover on human impact and behavior, the bill's subject matter is developed around the environmental issues of water pollution and scarcity.

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:44 pm

Did you take this into account? Since you didn't respond to it, it's not clear to me if you did or not.

Otherwise, the proposal looks pretty good to me.
Last edited by The Atlae Isles on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:42 pm

OOC: As the co-author, I have asked Zone 71 to not submit until I have had a chance to go through it again, which might not happen before the weekend, given how my social calendar suddenly filled up. (Sorry, Zone 71, life happens sometimes.)

EDIT: Okay, so apparently the gods of karma are trying to delay me from combing through this, as I managed to hurt my back again (a recurring problem). This is on my ASAP list, though.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Zone 71
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:57 pm

Bump

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:45 am

“Clause 6, I would add ‘or any businesses contained wherein’ after ‘member nations’, to cover the possibility of non-governmental actions.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Zone 71
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:55 am

Kenmoria wrote:“Clause 6, I would add ‘or any businesses contained wherein’ after ‘member nations’, to cover the possibility of non-governmental actions.”

"Thank you, ambassador, for your suggestion, and the generosity you have given overall throughout the drafting process of this proposal. It has been added."

Zone 71
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:39 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: As the co-author, I have asked Zone 71 to not submit until I have had a chance to go through it again, which might not happen before the weekend, given how my social calendar suddenly filled up. (Sorry, Zone 71, life happens sometimes.)

EDIT: Okay, so apparently the gods of karma are trying to delay me from combing through this, as I managed to hurt my back again (a recurring problem). This is on my ASAP list, though.

OOC: I received your telegram and made several edits based on your suggestions. But I know many of the comments and criticisms are based off of a previous draft. Would you like to review the latest draft? Otherwise, I'll look this proposal over a couple times, make some final edits, and then submit it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:25 pm

Zone 71 wrote:But I know many of the comments and criticisms are based off of a previous draft. Would you like to review the latest draft?

OOC: A lot of the comments were apparently also ignored, and I'd like to know why. You want to continue this in TG or here? For a proper comb-through-rewrite-suggestion-frenzy you'll have to wait a day or two.

Zone 71
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:55 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Zone 71 wrote:But I know many of the comments and criticisms are based off of a previous draft. Would you like to review the latest draft?

OOC: A lot of the comments were apparently also ignored, and I'd like to know why. You want to continue this in TG or here? For a proper comb-through-rewrite-suggestion-frenzy you'll have to wait a day or two.

Whatever you would prefer.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:51 am

Zone 71 wrote:Whatever you would prefer.

OOC: Let's do TG to avoid cluttering the thread. :)

Zone 71
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:47 am

Araraukar wrote:
Zone 71 wrote:Whatever you would prefer.

OOC: Let's do TG to avoid cluttering the thread. :)

OOC: Alrighty.

Zone 71
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:51 pm

After months of drafting, much needed and appreciated constructive criticism, and several drafts, I am confident that this proposal is ready for submission. Although it may be prudent to wait until September or October to submit it, once WA members become more active, because my Hel- school is starting very soon, and because I fear I will be too encumbered by schoolwork and other activities to focus on this proposal, I would strongly prefer to submit this sooner rather than later. And with that being said, I will submit this proposal under my alternative account, Rovikstead, two or three days from now, afterI transfer WA membership to that account and review the proposal a couple times over.

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:15 am

While applauding the sentiment, and especially wishing to see effective measures similar to clause 6 enshrined in international law, we regret that we cannot support this. In terms of quality, clarity and fit to category we do not believe it is of the necessary standard.

Rovikstead
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Rovikstead » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:44 am

I, Zone 71's alternative account, just submitted the proposal here: https://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_vi ... 1535035487

Thank you everyone, especially the very generous and talented co-authors, Araraukar and Kenmoria, for all of the help and support. I hope to see this passing quorum and the vote!
Author of Convention on International Oil Spills, A Convention on Freshwater Shortages
Co-Author of Reducing Food Waste
Former Minister of Culture in TEP
The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:** RED FLAG ** . ** RING CHURCH BELLS ** . ** BESTIALITY ALERT ** . ** CHRISTIANS TAKE COVER **

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives