NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Ethics in Warfare: Landmine Conduct

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Alsace and Lorraine United
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Ethics in Warfare: Landmine Conduct

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:37 am

Ethics in Warfare: Landmine Conduct

| Category: Global Disarmament | Strength: Mild | Proposed by: Alsace and Lorraine United |

RECOGNIZING that area denial devices are essential for WA nations to defend their territories from foreign invaders.

OBSERVING that landmines that remain post resolution of conflicts remain a threat to civilian and military populations within the former operational zones.

Hereby,

DEFINES “Landmine” as any area denial device meant to be implanted in or on the ground that is not detonated manually. Includes Tripwires, pressure plates, and any other mean other than by manual detonation.

DECLARES that it is unlawful for any nation to abandon landmines in any civilian area after the resolution of a conflict unless wholly necessary for the defense of a territory from immediate attack

REQUIRES that nations, if they choose to use landmines at all, manufacture and deploy landmines with the either of the following:

I. A chemical disarmament system
II. A mechanical self disarmament system

REQUIRES that landmines may not be activated for any longer than 12 years and must then be disarmed through either of the above listed solutions after either:

I. 12 Years
II. The resolution of the conflict

CLARIFIES that “A Mechanical Self Disarmament System” cannot include a self destruction system and must render the explosive inert
Last edited by Alsace and Lorraine United on Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Masurbia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Masurbia » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:19 pm

Alsace and Lorraine United wrote:REQUIRES that nations manufacture and employ landmines with the either of the following:

You just forced every WA nation to make landmines.
I see, therefore I am not blind.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:20 pm

Masurbia wrote:
Alsace and Lorraine United wrote:REQUIRES that nations manufacture and employ landmines with the either of the following:

You just forced every WA nation to make landmines.

oh dang thank you will revise

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:26 pm

"I would place a comma after “Hereby”."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Kenmoria wrote:"I would place a comma after “Hereby”."

Thank you resolved

Masurbia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Masurbia » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:07 pm

Your definition of landmine is very vague. Someone throwing some nails on the ground could be called an area denial device.
I see, therefore I am not blind.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:26 pm

Masurbia wrote:Your definition of landmine is very vague. Someone throwing some nails on the ground could be called an area denial device.

I thought this too, how could i better word it, perhaps including, of explosive nature?

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:28 pm

OOC: You should see if this has been done before. Because this has been done before. By me. This draft is therefore illegal.

EDIT: A pretty cursory search would have found it, too. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30&p=27489941&hilit=landmine#p27489941
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: You should see if this has been done before. Because this has been done before. By me. This draft is therefore illegal.

EDIT: A pretty cursory search would have found it, too. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30&p=27489941&hilit=landmine#p27489941

well im very sorry for this i did do a search but only came up with something that was repealed

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:48 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: You should see if this has been done before. Because this has been done before. By me. This draft is therefore illegal.

OOC:well im very sorry for this i did do a search but only came up with something that was repealed
appears it is not in the list of passed resoluutions. I would request perhaps a more forgiving attitude to a new player as it is rather hard to know what is and isn’t already passed making it increasingly difficult to legislate I’m just trying to play the game like you but I’ve come late and I want to leave my mark
Last edited by Alsace and Lorraine United on Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:18 pm

Alsace and Lorraine United wrote:

OOC:well im very sorry for this i did do a search but only came up with something that was repealed
appears it is not in the list of passed resoluutions. I would request perhaps a more forgiving attitude to a new player as it is rather hard to know what is and isn’t already passed making it increasingly difficult to legislate I’m just trying to play the game like you but I’ve come late and I want to leave my mark

OOC: I appreciate that, but the Passed GA Resolutions list is stickied, and using either the search bar or Ctrl+F to search Landmine would have found this. I'm not sure how you found the repealed version and not the new one. If it was an esoteric document that didn't use normal terms, that's one thing. But landmine is right there in the name.

Make sure you check the Passed Resolution list when coming up with ideas. And you should consider participating in other threads before trying to draft a resolution yourself. It gets you familiar with the game without adding the extra pressures of authorship.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:47 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Alsace and Lorraine United wrote:

Thank you closing draft

OOC: I appreciate that, but the Passed GA Resolutions list is stickied, and using either the search bar or Ctrl+F to search Landmine would have found this. I'm not sure how you found the repealed version and not the new one. If it was an esoteric document that didn't use normal terms, that's one thing. But landmine is right there in the name.

Make sure you check the Passed Resolution list when coming up with ideas. And you should consider participating in other threads before trying to draft a resolution yourself. It gets you familiar with the game without adding the extra pressures of authorship.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:12 pm

Chin up! You did the right thing in posting your draft here first, before just submitting it (plenty of people do the latter without any regard whatsoever for any of several of the considerations we've already named in this very thread). Stick around and see what's already been done, and hopefully your next idea gets a little further down the runway!
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly