NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Prevention of Pollution

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Erithaca
Envoy

Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

[ABANDONED] Prevention of Pollution

Postby Erithaca » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:03 am

The General Assembly,

Reaffirming 371 GA- Toxic Heavy Metals Act and 376 GA- Pesticide Regulations

Observing the loss of life and damage to health caused by pollutants,

Understanding the need to dispose of toxic waste,

Realising the lack of a general pollution resolution in the World Assembly.

Hereby:

1. Defines "substance" as any chemical element and its compounds.

2. Defines "pollution" as any activity or substance that may be harmful to human health.

3. Defines "emission" as any release of substances into the earth, air or land.

4. Defines "installation" as any large stationary unit where activities are carried out that is not for personal use.

5. Defines "atmospheric particulate matter" as microscopic solid or liquid matter suspended in Earth's atmosphere with a diameter between 2.5 and 10 micrometers

6. Defines "polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons" as hydrocarbons that are composed of multiple aromatic rings.

7. Defines "volatile organic compound" as any organic compound that has an initial boiling point less than or equal to 200 °C

8. Defines "pollutant" as those defined in Article 1 of GA 371, those defined in Article 2 of GA 376, ozone, atmospheric particulate matter, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and volatile organic compounds

9. Requires member states to take the necessary measures to provide that the competent authorities ensure that through of the best available and possible techniques:

(a) all the appropriate preventive measures are taken against pollution;

(b) no significant pollution is caused;

(c) waste production is avoided;

(d) when waste is produced, it is recovered or, where that is technically and economically impossible, it is disposed of while avoiding or reducing any impact on the environment;

(e) the necessary measures are taken to prevent accidents and limit their consequences;

(f) the necessary measures are taken upon definitive cessation of activities to avoid any pollution risk and return the site of operation to a satisfactory state.

10. Requires that member nations shall take the necessary measures to ensure that applications for installations include a description of:

(a) the installation and its activities;

(b) the raw materials used in the installation

(c) the energy produced in the installation

(d)the sources of emissions from the installation;

(e) the conditions of the site of the installation;

(f) the nature and quantities of foreseeable emissions from the installation into each medium as well as identification of significant effects of the emissions on the environment

(g) the proposed technology and other techniques for preventing or, where this not possible, reducing emissions from the installation;

(h) where necessary, measures for the prevention and recovery of waste generated by the installation;

(i) measures planned to monitor emissions;

(j) the main alternatives, if any.

11. Mandates that member nations shall take all possible steps to:

(a) prevent PM10 levels from exceeding 70 µg/m3

(b) prevent PM2.5 levels from exceeding 35 µg/m3

(c) prevent polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon levels from exceeding 45 mg/kg

(d) prevent workers from being exposed to ozone levels exceeding 0.1 μmol/mol

(e) prevent commercial airline passengers from being exposed to ozone levels exceeding 250 μmol/mol
Last edited by Erithaca on Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:23 am

"All the pre-amble clauses lack finishing punctuation."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Erithaca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:24 am

Kenmoria wrote:"All the pre-amble clauses lack finishing punctuation."

What kind of punctuation do you want?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:28 am

Erithaca wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:"All the pre-amble clauses lack finishing punctuation."

What kind of punctuation do you want?

"I don't really mind; commas, semicolons and full stops all work fine. All that matters is that they end with something to avoid looking unpolished."
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Erithaca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:33 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Erithaca wrote:What kind of punctuation do you want?

"I don't really mind; commas, semicolons and full stops all work fine. All that matters is that they end with something to avoid looking unpolished."

I have added them.

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:55 am

Erithaca wrote:1. Defines "substance" as any chemical element and its compounds.

2. Defines "pollution" as any activity or substance that may be harmful to human health.

Congratulations, ambassador. You have just declared Oxygen and water, fundamental necessities of life, to be pollution. Oxygen being a chemical element and water one of its compounds, and both being quite harmful to human health (hyperoxia, drowning, overhydration). We are not entirely certain why these definitions are in the resolution as you then define "pollutant" separately anyway without reference to "substance" or "pollution".
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:43 am

"Clauses 7 and 8 lack finishing punctuation. Also, as the Desmosthenes and Brukes ambassador has pointed out, your definitions require serious work. In addition, I think defining nine things is a little excessive."
My pronouns are he/him.

New-Brussels
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New-Brussels » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:11 am

OOC : I really want to help you tackle this so I will produce an analysis of your current draft very shortly. (Probably on a GDOC as it allows for easy text management)
From the Rafterian Partenariat Department of Legislation,
His Holiness Todd Rafter, President of Honor

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:20 am

“The definition you use for ‘installation’ includes such things as cooking fires and charcoal kilns,” says Inan. “It’s just not possible to avoid creating pollutants with these. And the idea that we would send in applications for these is... well, it’s just not feasible. And a waste of paper as well.”
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Erithaca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:29 am

Essu Beti wrote:“The definition you use for ‘installation’ includes such things as cooking fires and charcoal kilns,” says Inan. “It’s just not possible to avoid creating pollutants with these. And the idea that we would send in applications for these is... well, it’s just not feasible. And a waste of paper as well.”

I have changed the definition to only include buildings.
Last edited by Erithaca on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly