NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT]Consumer Privacy Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Inspector Carmelita Fox
Secretary

Founded: Dec 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT]Consumer Privacy Act

Postby Inspector Carmelita Fox » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:47 pm

I have drafted a privacy proposal. Would it be useful or relevant?

Consumer Privacy Act

Category: Human Rights Strength: Mild

To the World Assembly,

A. Believing that the privacy of consumers should be safeguarded and prioritized to an extent,

B. Concerned about the use of consumer privacy which includes but is not limited to advertising, government sharing, sharing to other commercial and non-commercial organizations, safety, preventing or investigating criminal activity, and improving products and services,

C. Noting that while consumer privacy is important, the privacy of consumers is subordinate to issues of illegal activities, national security, interference against the ability of a business being able to conduct its necessary activities,

Hereby,
1. Defines for the purposes of this resolution:
a. Consumer privacy as personally identified information used from transactions and accounts used in businesses that can be exploited for financial or personal gain;

2. In accordance of this act, orders World Assembly nations to:
a. Limit the sharing of consumer privacy to within the purposes of conducting the necessary activities in operating a business and to allow for fair use if it is reasonable;

b. Elaborate on the circumstances between the subject of criminal activity by:
i. Ruling that requested evidence by law authorities should only be provided based on if it is relevant and assists that case involved, thereby restricting access to privacy information from other aspects of the consumer’s activities;
ii. Ruling that consumers voluntarily lose their right to privacy relating to their business activities as a consumer, if it is in the scope of the criminal topic involved and if the subject of the criminal activity is defined as a felony;

c. Fair use of Information between Consumers and Business
i. Ruling that consumers should be given prior notice of the terms of use of privacy and if they consent to it;
ii. Ruling that any future updates or revisions of any privacy policy should be communicated with the consumer at a reasonably prompt time;
iii. Declares it illegal if the terms of privacy were to be violated by the business

d. Fair Use under Hierarchy of the Business Organization
i. Ruling that the use of consumer privacy information between the different roles of the business organization shall be only requested outside the necessary; entrusted people involved in their respective work, if it is necessary

The First German Order
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:20 am

“I fail to see how this is a matter of international importance, so no support from our delegation. Other than that, I’d recommend defining some of the terms used in this proposal.”
”Nuclear strikes do not damage the phone network. The atom respects your right to a final call.” - Dumb Ideologies

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:47 am

The First German Order wrote:“I fail to see how this is a matter of international importance, so no support from our delegation. Other than that, I’d recommend defining some of the terms used in this proposal.”

"Why is this not an issue of international importance? There are consumers in all nations, most of whom will buy products from foreign countries and companies."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The First German Order
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:18 am

Kenmoria wrote:
The First German Order wrote:“I fail to see how this is a matter of international importance, so no support from our delegation. Other than that, I’d recommend defining some of the terms used in this proposal.”

"Why is this not an issue of international importance? There are consumers in all nations, most of whom will buy products from foreign countries and companies."

“It seems like more of a problem for the consumer. To me, it seems that it should be up to the consumer to ensure that their private information is kept private.”
”Nuclear strikes do not damage the phone network. The atom respects your right to a final call.” - Dumb Ideologies

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:20 pm

(OOC: Use [list] code to make the proposal look neater and more readable.)
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Edrarin
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Edrarin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:53 pm

Our delegation is intrigued by this proposal. I suggest making it a bit more structured so it is more readable.
Michael Yeltsin
Federal Unions ambassador to the World Assembly

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:22 pm

"There is too big a gap between clauses B and C."
My pronouns are he/him.

Hoporginiankero
Civilian

Founded: Apr 26, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hoporginiankero » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:54 am

While our country supports civil rights wholeheartedly, including the right to privacy, we want some of the terms defined. Some of the clauses could be interpreted in such a way to make the clause meaningless. For example, could you clarify "if necessary" in the last clause?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:54 am

"There should probably be colons after the first lines of clauses 2c and 2d."
My pronouns are he/him.

Avgrunden
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Avgrunden » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:03 am

We support the general idea behind this proposal.

As to its international importance, it is inherently international, especially considering the advent of the internet and information technology, allowing consumer data to be transported across the world in seconds. Therefore, consumer privacy cannot be adequately protected by domestic legislation alone.

However, we concur with the nations above, in that some of the clauses could use refining, and more definitions would be helpful.

Respectfully,
Ingmar Viklund
Executor | Republiken Avgrunden
Ingen sanning utan frihet.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly