NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Repeal GA#417 "Restrictions On Hydraulic Fracturing"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Veniyerris
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

[Draft] Repeal GA#417 "Restrictions On Hydraulic Fracturing"

Postby Veniyerris » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:01 pm

Repeal "Restrictions On Hydraulic Fracturing"
Proposer: Veniyerris | Resolution: GA#417: "Restrictions On Hydraulic Fracturing"

The World Assembly,

Applauding the notable efforts by member nations to protect the environment.

Recognizing that, in some cases, hydraulic fracturing (widely known as “fracking”) has negative impacts on local environments, many of which are mentioned in the target resolution.

Noting that these impacts are not widely observed across hydraulic fracturing operations, especially given the wide range of environments in WA member nations.

Aware that the target resolution is detrimental to the economies of WA member nations, especially those that are reliant on the sale and transfer of oil and natural gas to other nations. This makes such member nations non-competitive against other, non-member nations not following the restrictions set out in the resolution.

Noting the resolution is intentionally vague, using terms like "close range" and "significant threat" without defining such terms, making it impossible to ensure compliance in WA member states.

Believing this to be an issue that can be solved by member nations, with little to no guidance from this esteemed World Assembly.

Hereby repeals GA#417 “Restrictions On Hydraulic Fracturing.”

I'm open to any suggestions, questions, or comments. Not in any particular rush to submit.

The World Assembly,

Applauding the notable efforts by member nations to protect the environment.

Recognizing that, in some cases, hydraulic fracturing (widely known as “fracking”) has negative impacts on local environments, many of which are mentioned in the target resolution.

Noting that these impacts are not widely observed across hydraulic fracturing operations, especially given the wide range of environments in WA member nations.

Aware that the target resolution is detrimental to the economies of WA member nations, especially those that are reliant on the sale and transfer of oil and natural gas to other nations. This makes such member nations non-competitive against other, non-member nations not following the restrictions set out in the resolution.

Believing this to be an issue that can be solved by member nations, with little to no guidance from this esteemed World Assembly.

Last edited by Veniyerris on Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:36 pm

"I believe there should be a full stop at the end of the last clause."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Veniyerris
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Veniyerris » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:47 pm

Kenmoria wrote:"I believe there should be a full stop at the end of the last clause."

Thanks!
Last edited by Veniyerris on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kranostav
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:57 pm

I generally like this and hope this passes!

Support!
Non-compliance is lame and you should feel bad
The meddling WA Kid of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

Veniyerris
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Veniyerris » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:03 pm

Kranostav wrote:I generally like this and hope this passes!

Support!

Thank you for your support!

Cute Puppies
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cute Puppies » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:25 pm

"While I would like to see this proposal refer to specific parts in GA#417 that act to the detriment of member nations' economies and include more substantiation to the repeal's claims, I, on behalf of the Nation of Cute Puppies, pledge my full support for this repeal. I wish the repeal's author the best of luck and hope to help in the drafting of this repeal in any way possible."
Last edited by Cute Puppies on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stoskavanya
Envoy

Founded: Aug 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stoskavanya » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:14 pm

I’ve always had problems with the Hydraulic Fracking ban, mainly due to the fact that it was established on the WA level.

While it cannot be denied that fracking has detrimental environmental effects, it also cannot be denied that there are some benefits to fracking, namely the transition from a more harmful energy source, cleaner burning, whatever. You can argue about the specifics all day, but it seems to me that as long as there are reasonable “pros” of fracking, it should be up to individual states to determine the balance of the cost and benefit in their country. Might be worth it to add something like

“Believing that member states should have flexibility to analyze the costs and benefits of fracking within their nation for themselves”

This is also not an “either or” argument like the resolution makes it out to be; the prohibition is a drastic solution to a multifaceted problem. Fracking is not a new practice. Much of the adverse effects can be attributed to past fracking efforts done improperly, well failures, and lack of adherence to regulation or little oversight. Rather than putting forward initiatives to ensure that the effects of fracking are minimized in these regards, however, the resolution enforces a blanket ban, which I always found strange.

I see no reason why a state that legalizes fracking but is dedicated to strict regulation and oversight to ensure the safety of the operation should be prevented from doing so. There is more than one way to solve the problem of fracking rather than banning it. Might be able to write something about that.

Regardless, Stoskavanya supports this repeal, and wishes the author the best of luck in his efforts.
Last edited by Stoskavanya on Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:14 pm

Let's analyse these arguments

The World Assembly,

Applauding the notable efforts by member nations to protect the environment. (argument for GA 417)

Recognizing that, in some cases, hydraulic fracturing (widely known as “fracking”) has negative impacts on local environments, many of which are mentioned in the target resolution. (argument for GA 417)

Noting that these impacts are not widely observed across hydraulic fracturing operations, especially given the wide range of environments in WA member nations. Read the resolution. It bans hydraulic fracturing within close areas of cities to the extent where it causes problems. If a fracking operation can prove that they pose no real risk of harming sapient life, GA 417 allows it.

Aware that the target resolution is detrimental to the economies of WA member nations, especially those that are reliant on the sale and transfer of oil and natural gas to other nations. This makes such member nations non-competitive against other, non-member nations not following the restrictions set out in the resolution. Read the above comment. Also, is that to say that you believe member nations have the right to employ extremely harmful means of energy extraction merely for economic gain? Questionable, to say the least.

Believing this to be an issue that can be solved by member nations, with little to no guidance from this esteemed World Assembly. If we can solve the problem where many member nations won't, why not do so? NatSov arguments are monumentally weak.

In summary, the draft before us has no real argument other than a desire of corporations to continue their manipulation of the environment. We say no.

Kranostav
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:50 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:Let's analyse these arguments

The World Assembly,

Applauding the notable efforts by member nations to protect the environment. (argument for GA 417)

Recognizing that, in some cases, hydraulic fracturing (widely known as “fracking”) has negative impacts on local environments, many of which are mentioned in the target resolution. (argument for GA 417)

Noting that these impacts are not widely observed across hydraulic fracturing operations, especially given the wide range of environments in WA member nations. Read the resolution. It bans hydraulic fracturing within close areas of cities to the extent where it causes problems. If a fracking operation can prove that they pose no real risk of harming sapient life, GA 417 allows it.

Aware that the target resolution is detrimental to the economies of WA member nations, especially those that are reliant on the sale and transfer of oil and natural gas to other nations. This makes such member nations non-competitive against other, non-member nations not following the restrictions set out in the resolution. Read the above comment. Also, is that to say that you believe member nations have the right to employ extremely harmful means of energy extraction merely for economic gain? Questionable, to say the least.

Believing this to be an issue that can be solved by member nations, with little to no guidance from this esteemed World Assembly. If we can solve the problem where many member nations won't, why not do so? NatSov arguments are monumentally weak.

In summary, the draft before us has no real argument other than a desire of corporations to continue their manipulation of the environment. We say no.

Quote^

1) It is a common occurrence of repeals to applaud efforts made in by the previous legislation

2) Fracking has potentially negative results just as it has positives. He's acknowledging the obvious counter.

3) The resolution is ambiguous at best. It loosely defines the base for why fracking can be prevented in certain locations and/or for certain reasons. This allows for governments to abuse this resolution or to totally disregard it.

4) Fracking isn't necessarily 'extremely harmful', it has various benefits and employs a large amount of people. This economic gain may, in certain situations, outweigh any possible downsides due to the job supply, energy supply, and sustainability it provides.

5) With your resolution in place, this wont do much to solve the supposed problem that you intended to fix... And please lets not classify this a natsov argument so that you can dismiss it. That's rather dismissive and childish.

In summary, your resolution does little to solve a situation that it sets out to address. In this situation the people who would be consuming the energy are the residents that may be impacted. There is no incentive for a corporation to harm its own client base, and even if harmed, the incidents are increasingly rare. Therefore, the 'evil corporations' argument holds little merit.
Non-compliance is lame and you should feel bad
The meddling WA Kid of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

Veniyerris
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Veniyerris » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:21 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:Let's analyse these arguments

The World Assembly,

Ok lets go through these one by one.

1. Its pride to think GA#417 is the only environmental proposal.

2. I find introducing the resolution is usually best. If you have any other ideas for how to do this, please, tell me.

3. The resolution makes it seem with its wording that the world will explode if any fracking happens. In reality though, fracking doesn't always have negative impacts, especially when done properly. The resolution also doesn't appear to take into account the variety of environments that WA nations are located in. Say, for example, a region with a methane atmosphere with inhabitants that don't need to drink water. I'm sure the GA has seen weirder.

4. Read the above comment. Fracking has lots of upsides, such as providing a means of employment for people.

5. Again, every member state is different, so who is to say the WA has to provide guidance on everything that comes to mind? Some things are best left to nations. Also, being dismissive doesn't help.

In summary, the resolution fails on many levels to account for the variety of member states and to face the realities of hydraulic fracturing.

Edrarin
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Edrarin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:58 pm

Full support from Edrarin!
Michael Yeltsin
Federal Unions ambassador to the World Assembly

Veniyerris
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Veniyerris » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:15 am

Edrarin wrote:Full support from Edrarin!

I appreciate your support!

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:29 am

"I would find at least one other reason to repeal that specifically mentions the target text, currently you have only three."
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Veniyerris
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Veniyerris » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:22 pm

Kenmoria wrote:"I would find at least one other reason to repeal that specifically mentions the target text, currently you have only three."

How about something like this?

Noting the resolution is intentionally vague, using terms like "close range" and "significant threat" without defining such terms, making it impossible to ensure compliance in WA member states.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:27 pm

Veniyerris wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:"I would find at least one other reason to repeal that specifically mentions the target text, currently you have only three."

Excellent,
My pronouns are he/him.

Veniyerris
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Veniyerris » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:28 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Veniyerris wrote:

Excellent,

Alright, Ill add it in. Thanks!

New-Brussels
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New-Brussels » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:19 am

United Massachusetts wrote:In summary, the draft before us has no real argument other than a desire of corporations to continue their manipulation of the environment. We say no.

I'd even go as far as to say that this repeal is effectively a full step backwards.

OOC: Why on earth would the WA, a potentially perfect alternative to the real world, do such a thing as basically promoting fracking or other fossil fuel based economies by repealing environmental protections when it has the ability to efficiently promote renewable sources of energy ?
From the Rafterian Partenariat Department of Legislation,
His Holiness Todd Rafter, President of Honor

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:20 am

New-Brussels wrote:a potentially perfect alternative to the real world,

(OOC: There is no way the World Assembly is perfect, it is filled with nations that deliberately try to have the worst economy possible and the number of utopias is definitely equalled by the number of dystopias. Hence the necessity of legislation such as this, it may not be ideal, but it makes sense given the circumstances.)
My pronouns are he/him.

New-Brussels
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby New-Brussels » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:04 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
New-Brussels wrote:a potentially perfect alternative to the real world,

(OOC: There is no way the World Assembly is perfect, it is filled with nations that deliberately try to have the worst economy possible and the number of utopias is definitely equalled by the number of dystopias. Hence the necessity of legislation such as this, it may not be ideal, but it makes sense given the circumstances.)

OOC: You don't get it, I am referring to corruption of which WA gnomes are free. Obviously I agree with you.
Last edited by New-Brussels on Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ponaeamic
Secretary

Founded: Feb 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ponaeamic » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:47 pm

His Majesty, King Octasian Crane of Ponaeamic supports this. "Even though we care for our trees, others don't. We shouldn't force them to".

Veniyerris
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Veniyerris » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:56 pm

New-Brussels wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:In summary, the draft before us has no real argument other than a desire of corporations to continue their manipulation of the environment. We say no.

I'd even go as far as to say that this repeal is effectively a full step backwards.

OOC: Why on earth would the WA, a potentially perfect alternative to the real world, do such a thing as basically promoting fracking or other fossil fuel based economies by repealing environmental protections when it has the ability to efficiently promote renewable sources of energy ?

While I generally support environmental regulation by the WA, I believe that the target resolution fails to account for many things, which have been spelled out in previous posts in this thread.

Ponaeamic wrote:His Majesty, King Octasian Crane of Ponaeamic supports this. "Even though we care for our trees, others don't. We shouldn't force them to".

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:03 am

New-Brussels wrote:OOC: Why on earth would the WA, a potentially perfect alternative to the real world, do such a thing as basically promoting fracking or other fossil fuel based economies by repealing environmental protections when it has the ability to efficiently promote renewable sources of energy ?

Because fracking primarily produces natural gas, which is cleaner and cheaper than oil and coal. And substituting oil and coal for natural gas comparatively reduces carbon emissions. Making it comparatively more difficult comparatively increases transition costs.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

New-Brussels
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby New-Brussels » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:43 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
New-Brussels wrote:OOC: Why on earth would the WA, a potentially perfect alternative to the real world, do such a thing as basically promoting fracking or other fossil fuel based economies by repealing environmental protections when it has the ability to efficiently promote renewable sources of energy ?

Because fracking primarily produces natural gas, which is cleaner and cheaper than oil and coal. And substituting oil and coal for natural gas comparatively reduces carbon emissions. Making it comparatively more difficult comparatively increases transition costs.

I have to agree. A more proper replacement is desirable then, I approve.

Veniyerris
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Veniyerris » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:40 am

New-Brussels wrote:I have to agree. A more proper replacement is desirable then, I approve.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Because fracking primarily produces natural gas, which is cleaner and cheaper than oil and coal. And substituting oil and coal for natural gas comparatively reduces carbon emissions. Making it comparatively more difficult comparatively increases transition costs.

Thats a fair point that I never thought through, would it be useful to add something about that in the draft?

Veniyerris
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Veniyerris » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:12 am

What about adding something like this to the draft?

Further realizing that the product of Fracking is natural gas, an alternative to coal or oil which is better for the environment.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly