NATION

PASSWORD

DITCHED: Reduce Food Waste

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:29 am

Reduce Unnecessary Food Wastage
Category: Social Justice | Strength: Mild | Proposed by: Australian rePublic, Cute Puppies, Kenmoria

Noticing that many organisations, who grow, prepare, sell and/or distribute food have lots of wastage because they order too much for the required amount, causing the excessive food to go to waste,

Further, some farmers/retailers refuse to sell fruit and vegetables if they're considered "too ugly",

Recognising the fact that much of this wastage is still edible, and its waste is therefore unneeded and damaging,

Concerned over the many tonnes of food that unintentionally expires due to improper or incorrect stock rotation,

Worried for the many negative effects of such food wastage on WA member states, including:

a. Detrimentality to the environment. Food which ends up in landfill is detrimental to the environment, for example, some of the problems include producing methane, wasting fresh water which was used to create it, and wasting arable land, amongst many other environmental issues with misusing food,

b. Robbing the poor of the ability to eat perfectly edible food which goes into the bin. Edible food being products that are still safe for sapient consumption,

c. Food production being a very labour-intensive task, which is in vain if the food is not eaten,

This resolution suggests that food hygiene, food safety and quarantine should take precedence, but in the situations where food is found to be perfectly edible, this proposal aims to reduce the prevalence of food wastage,

Hereby,
  1. Strongly encourages member nations to create local initiatives that seek to prevent the overproduction and disposal of viable and still-edible food including food banks and charities;

2. Urges member nations to inform their citizens about how to properly save and store leftovers for future consumption;

3. Obligates member nations to manage food surpluses and the excessive wastage of food through eco-friendly and constructive ways including but not limited to:
    1. Diverting food scraps to animal feed,
    2. Composting inedible food to create nutrient-rich soil,
    3. Use waste oils from food for fuel conversion and food scraps for the recover energy in industrial processes,
    4. Noting however, that nations are exempt from this clause, should they believe that said food poses a quarantine/bio-security threat;
  4. Extends the authority of the International Food Welfare Organization to:
    1. Establish food banks and charities in member nations with their permission,
    2. Research the most practical and environmentally-friendly methods of food decomposition.
Code: Select all
Reduce Unnecessary Food Wastage
Category: Social Justice | Strength: Mild | Proposed by: Australian rePublic, Cute Puppies, Kenmoria

Noticing that many organisations, who grow, prepare, sell and/or distribute food have lots of wastage because they order too much for the required amount, causing the excessive food to go to waste,

Further, some farmers/retailers refuse to sell fruit and vegetables if they're considered "too ugly",

Recognising the fact that much of this wastage is still edible, and its waste is therefore unneeded and damaging,

Concerned over the many tonnes of food that unintentionally expires due to improper or incorrect stock rotation,

Worried for the many negative effects of such food wastage on WA member states, including:

a. Detrimentality to the environment. Food which ends up in landfill is detrimental to the environment, for example, some of the problems include producing methane, wasting fresh water which was used to create it, and wasting arable land, amongst many other environmental issues with misusing food,

b. Robbing the poor of the ability to eat perfectly edible food which goes into the bin. Edible food being products that are still safe for sapient consumption,

c. Food production being a very labour-intensive task, which is in vain if the food is not eaten,

This resolution suggests that food hygiene, food safety and quarantine should take precedence, but in the situations where food is found to be perfectly edible, this proposal aims to reduce the prevalence of food wastage,

Hereby,
[list=1]
[*] Strongly encourages member nations to create local initiatives that seek to prevent the overproduction and disposal of viable and still-edible food including food banks and charities;

[*] Urges member nations to inform their citizens about how to properly save and store leftovers for future consumption;

[*] Obligates member nations to manage food surpluses and the excessive wastage of food through eco-friendly and constructive ways including but not limited to:[list=a]
[*] Diverting food scraps to animal feed,
[*] Composting inedible food to create nutrient-rich soil,
[*] Use waste oils from food for fuel conversion and food scraps for the recover energy in industrial processes,
[*] Noting however, that nations are exempt from this clause, should they believe that said food poses a quarantine/bio-security threat;[/list]
[*] Extends the authority of the International Food Welfare Organization to:
[list=a][*] Establish food banks and charities in member nations with their permission,
[*] Research the most practical and environmentally-friendly methods of food decomposition.[/list][/list]
(OOC: I've redone the lists so that they use the [list] code and therefore stand out a bit more. Also, co-authors should go at the bottom like this: “Co-authored by Nation1 and Nation2”, when you actually submit the proposal.)
Last edited by Kenmoria on Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Zone 71
Envoy

Founded: Apr 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:08 am

Looks like a great draft. Could you credit my main nation, nation]Dmitry II[/nation], in my/Cute Puppies' place?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:09 am

Zone 71 wrote:Looks like a great draft. Could you credit my main nation, nation]Dmitry II[/nation], in my/Cute Puppies' place?

Dmitry Il? Ok
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Zone 71
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:16 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Zone 71 wrote:Looks like a great draft. Could you credit my main nation, nation]Dmitry II[/nation], in my/Cute Puppies' place?

Dmitry Il? Ok

Thanks. Also, because multiple people cannot propose a single proposal, it's customary to credit co-authors in the bottom of the proposal.

In this case, you would write, at the end of your proposal

Co-authored by [nation]Dmitry II[/nation] and [nation]Kenmoria[/nation]

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:23 am

Zone 71 wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Dmitry Il? Ok

Thanks. Also, because multiple people cannot propose a single proposal, it's customary to credit co-authors in the bottom of the proposal.

In this case, you would write, at the end of your proposal

Co-authored by [nation]Dmitry II[/nation] and [nation]Kenmoria[/nation]

Ok
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:23 am

Should I submit Kenmoria's draft now?

Zone 71
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:32 am

I would wait for more responses and constructive criticism from others, but it looks like a solid proposal.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:46 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Should I submit Kenmoria's draft now?

OOC: If you submit Kenmoria's draft without their explicit permission to submit it as is, you can get dinged for plagiarism.

Also, if the text in the first post is the most current, it's a mess. Both as formatting and as text. Is that the most current one and if not, post the most current one there.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:40 pm

Araraukar wrote:

OOC: If you submit Kenmoria's draft without their explicit permission to submit it as is, you can get dinged for plagiarism.
(OOC: I give my permission for Australian rePublic to submit my draft. Also, given that is the most recent one, put it in the opening post.)
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:43 pm

Araraukar wrote:

Also, if the text in the first post is the most current, it's a mess. Both as formatting and as text. Is that the most current one and if not, post the most current one there.

I'm not stealing anything. He/she already agreed to be credited as a co-author

Dmitry II
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dmitry II » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:46 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: If you submit Kenmoria's draft without their explicit permission to submit it as is, you can get dinged for plagiarism.

I'm not stealing anything. He/she already agreed to be credited as a co-author

I have to agree with Araraukar. There are a number of mistakes both grammatically and formatting-wise. I will not give you my blessing to propose this to the GA if you don't fix these simple but very frequent errors.
Puppet of Zone 71

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:47 pm

Dmitry II wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I'm not stealing anything. He/she already agreed to be credited as a co-author

I have to agree with Araraukar. There are a number of mistakes both grammatically and formatting-wise. I will not give you my blessing to propose this to the GA if you don't fix these simple but very frequent errors.

Yea I can't fix those things on my own. (I think I might be dyslexic)

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:31 pm

"Would you mind explaining the category. I'm not saying it's wrong, but knowing your reasoning could be helpful."
My pronouns are he/him.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:41 pm

Kenmoria wrote:"Would you mind explaining the category. I'm not saying it's wrong, but knowing your reasoning could be helpful."

OOC: I think it's some kind of "feeding the poor" idea, but not very well executed.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:24 pm

Kenmoria wrote:"Would you mind explaining the category. I'm not saying it's wrong, but knowing your reasoning could be helpful."

I just did what I was told...

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:37 pm

Mentoka wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Yea I can't fix those things on my own. (I think I might be dyslexic)

So this is actually nothing more than a badge hunt to you? Good to know.

OOC:

http://lmgtfy.com/?s=b&q=Dyslexia

The Democracy of Red Star
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 07, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Democracy of Red Star » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:38 pm

Hmm
The Democracy Of Red Star
About me; A Star Trek fan that got bored with making a nation, who now spends most of his time on NS doing whatever he finds fun.

Dmitry II
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dmitry II » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:47 pm

OOC: While I don't want to sound rude or entitled, I don't feel comfortable giving the proposal author permission to use my work (the mandates section) if he or she cannot make a significant contribution to the proposal beyond a preamble (that was heavily modified by Kenmoria), take suggestions from others, and do his or her part in making sure the proposal, at the very least, has proper grammar and formatting.
Puppet of Zone 71

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:15 pm

Dmitry II wrote:OOC: While I don't want to sound rude or entitled, I don't feel comfortable giving the proposal author permission to use my work (the mandates section) if he or she cannot make a significant contribution to the proposal beyond a preamble (that was heavily modified by Kenmoria), take suggestions from others, and do his or her part in making sure the proposal, at the very least, has proper grammar and formatting.

OOC: Nor do you have to. They basically got you and Kenmoria to write the proposal for them, and are asking for a free ride by having you two do all the editing, claiming dyslexia prevent them from doing so. (Would be a very odd dyslexia, since to my knowledged dyslexia doesn't include the inability to insert line breaks or hit the enter to separate things onto their separate lines.) You can simply deny them the use of your work as is.

To author, if you truly are incapable of working with your coposters rather than them doing all the word for you, perhaps this part of the text-based game that is NationStates is not for you. Hang around, RP in other people's proposal threads, get the feel of how this part of NS works. Dyslexia hasn't prevented people from partaking in the past, but you can't expect others to do all the work.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:38 pm

If you 2 want the draft, take it. I'm out

Dmitry II
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dmitry II » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:46 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:If you 2 want the draft, take it. I'm out

Wow. I have no words.
Puppet of Zone 71

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:30 pm

Okay, have better luck next time then, if you choose to stick around.
My pronouns are he/him.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:30 am

Kenmoria wrote:

Okay, have better luck next time then, if you choose to stick around.

Thanks for being nice to me. I might try again in the future

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly