NATION

PASSWORD

Cryptography Act Public Draft 999

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

do you support

Poll ended at Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:57 pm

Support if you do join United Left Nations
33%
if not post why
67%

Total votes : 3

New Asia And Syberia
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Asia And Syberia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:57 pm

Category : Human Rights

Strength : Significant

The World Assembly,

NOTICING the usage of cryptography in many member nations as well as its unparalleled importance in regards to the privacy of data, and

RECOGNIZING that all member nations do not possess the same level of information technology, which may be subject to relatively fast and advanced changes that could potentially introduce unforeseen ways of engaging in criminality and warfare, but

REAFFIRMING the statement that “...every person has a right to privacy that extends to all lawful actions that occur out of public view and to all lawful actions, places, and other matters for which a subjective expectation of privacy and a reasonable, or objective, expectation of privacy exist” which has been expressed in GAR#213 Privacy Protection Act;

ADMITTING that, for the good of their population and, more generally, in their own interest, member nations may need to attempt bypassing cryptographic protocols, but

CONDEMNING how some governments do not hesitate to fragilize the trust that people all around the world may have in cryptography by forcing the implementation of backdoors in widely, publicly used protocols during their development,

UNDERSTANDING that other aspects of cryptography and it’s usage should be regulated by further legislation, which is expected to justify the necessity of all eventual breaches of privacy, and

NOT FORGETTING that the concept of cryptography isn’t restricted to digital communications,

Hereby,

DEFINES, at least for the purposes of this resolution :

a. Cryptography as the study and application of the methods by which information may be made private to any unintended reader and, by extension, the various protocols devised for this purpose;

b. Encryption as the application of any protocol that obfuscates the original meaning of information beyond legibility, with decryption as it’s reversal or attempted defeat;

c. Vulnerability, in the context of an encryption protocol, as the ability to reverse or defeat it without any information private to the owner of relevant data and within a sensible timeframe;

d. Cryptographic Privacy as the logical consequence of using cryptography to ensure the privacy of information for the sake of one’s own privacy;

ESTABLISHES that cryptographic privacy can not be expected from a vulnerable encryption protocol;

PROHIBITS member nations from interfering with the development of encryption protocols with the intent of increasing their vulnerability;

ALLOWS member nations to devise and apply cryptographic protocols, in the extent of legislation on the matter and within the confines of this resolution;

DECLARES that any malignant interference with the development or application of any cryptographic protocol in a member nation shall be considered an act of sabotage, surveillance, or terrorism, depending on the context and severity, and as understood by all parties involved at the lawfully appropriate levels;

URGES member nations to regulate the governmental development or application of any preferred forms of cryptography in an official manner, left to their liking and customs and according to their level of information technology, especially if the intent is to implement bona fide acts of surveillance, as explained above;

PROHIBITS member nations from attempting to reverse or defeat vulnerable encryption protocols implemented by a civilian of any member nation, except in the case where the obtention of specific instances of decrypted or encrypted information linked to this civilian is warranted lawfully;

ALLOWS member nations to establish organizations dedicated to the lawful encryption and decryption of data, as this kind of duty can not be realistically accomplished by an international body without seriously endangering international harmony.
Last edited by New Asia And Syberia on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:01 pm

"The prohibits clause ends with a comma instead of a semicolon. Whilst I understand this may be intentional as there is a word after the punctuation, I think a semicolon would be more consistent."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

New Asia And Syberia
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby New Asia And Syberia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:04 pm

:)
Last edited by New Asia And Syberia on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:05 pm

New Asia And Syberia wrote:REAFFIRMING the statement that “...every person has a right to privacy that extends to all lawful actions that occur out of public view and to all lawful actions, places, and other matters for which a subjective expectation of privacy and a reasonable, or objective, expectation of privacy exist”, which has been expressed in GAR#213 Privacy Protection Act,

This violates the House of Cards rule - your proposal relies upon another proposal, which could be repealed at any time, to support it. It'ld be good if you could read the GA proposal rules. :)
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

New Asia And Syberia
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby New Asia And Syberia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:10 pm

This violates the House of Cards rule - your proposal relies upon another proposal, which could be repealed at any time, to support it.

good?

New Asia And Syberia
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby New Asia And Syberia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:19 pm

does it look good?

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:34 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
New Asia And Syberia wrote:REAFFIRMING the statement that “...every person has a right to privacy that extends to all lawful actions that occur out of public view and to all lawful actions, places, and other matters for which a subjective expectation of privacy and a reasonable, or objective, expectation of privacy exist”, which has been expressed in GAR#213 Privacy Protection Act,

This violates the House of Cards rule - your proposal relies upon another proposal, which could be repealed at any time, to support it. It'ld be good if you could read the GA proposal rules. :)

Nope nope nope nope, stop this falsehood peddling. Reaffirmations, in so far as they are prefatory, do not count against the rules. viewtopic.php?p=33109496#p33109496

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Masurbia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Masurbia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Okay this is literally an exact copy of New-Brussels's Cryptography Act draft that they posted three days ago.
I see, therefore I am not blind.

New Asia And Syberia
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby New Asia And Syberia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:06 pm

Masurbia wrote:Okay this is literally an exact copy of New-Brussels's Cryptography Act draft that they posted three days ago.

It won't be

Masurbia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Masurbia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:10 pm

New Asia And Syberia wrote:
Masurbia wrote:Okay this is literally an exact copy of New-Brussels's Cryptography Act draft that they posted three days ago.

It won't be

But it's still an exact copy.
I see, therefore I am not blind.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:29 pm

OOC: Plagiarism is not how you write proposals. Proposal drafts being used to recruit for your region is not what we do here. Gonna try for strike 3?
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:32 pm

New Asia And Syberia wrote:

It won't be

You don't get to steal someone else's work, make minor changes, and claim it as your own. If you submit this, you will be ejected from the WA for plagiarism.

Thread locked.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly