NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Countermeasures Against Substance Abuse

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Do you approve of this proposal to the World Assembly?

Yes
17%
No
83%

Total votes : 12

Xandrovinia
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Countermeasures Against Substance Abuse

Postby Xandrovinia » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:22 pm

We, the World Assembly
Ackgnowledging the frequent death by substance abuse that is in most nations
Defining the following terms
    Serious Harm as a physical or psychological damage that is unrepairable or deadly. This also includes death
    Recreational Substance as any non-medical substance
    Non-vital Medical Substance as any substance that is medical, but not using said substance will not cause serious harm to the individual
    Vital Medical Substance as any substance that not using said substance will cause serious harm to the individual
Proposes a series of countermeasures against abuse of substances. The countermeasures consist of the following:
    1: Recreational Substances
      1A: Total ban on all harmful substances such as Marijuana, Cocaine, etc.
      1B: A serious restriction on the purchasing of less-harmful substances such as Alchohol, Tobacco, etc.
    2: Non-Vital Medical Substances
      2A: Mandatory Background checks into the previous substance records of individuals to search of previous or active cases of substance abuse
      2B: Non-availability of any non-vital substance without a prescription from a licensed doctor
      2C: Mandatory checks on any current prescription's length to identify potential abuse of substances
    3: Vital Medical Substances
      3A: Mandatory Background checks into the previous substance records of individuals to search of previous or active cases of substance abuse
      3B: Non-availability of any vital medical substance without a prescription from a licensed doctor
      3C: Mandatory checks on any current prescription's length to identify potential abuse of substances
      3D: Constant supply of vital drugs at all medical facilities
    4: Illegal Substance Smuggling & Possession
      4A: Mandatory prison sentences for possession of illegal substances of a minimum of 1 year up to 10 years based upon the amount of said illegal substance discovered in their possession.
      4B: Mandatory prison sentences for smuggling of illegal substances of a minimum of 10 years up to the death sentence based upon the amount of the said illegal substance that is proven to have been smuggled
      4C: Any person(s) that is/are proven to have purchased/sold illegal substances without said illegal substances being discovered being owned by the said person(s) beforehand are subject to mandatory investigation and are liable for the same charges as described in 4A & 4B if the results of said investigation implies possession or smuggling
      4D: 4A & 4B are subject to changes in sentence severity and length based upon the wishes of the lawmakers within each individual country

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:59 am

"Remove the bolding; it adds nothing to the proposal and is just unnecessary. Secondly, I would add a comma after the first line."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:24 am

"Firstly, ambassador, what is your intended category and strength?"

"Secondly, ambassador, hell no. Under no circumstances and absolutely not. No support."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:28 pm

2: Non-Vital Medical Substances
2A: Mandatory Background checks into the previous substance records of individuals to search of previous or active cases of substance abuse
2B: Non-availability of any non-vital substance without a prescription from a licensed doctor
2C: Mandatory checks on any current prescription's length to identify potential abuse of substances

Lets see here;
2A - Background checks every time I buy allergy pills, cough syrup, or ibuprofin. Splendid
2B - And now you want prescriptions for the above. Marvelous
2C - And now, along with the strip search and background check, we need to find out how long somebody has been taking extra strength aspirin for their minor arthritis pain. Wonderful.

3: Vital Medical Substances
3A: Mandatory Background checks into the previous substance records of individuals to search of previous or active cases of substance abuse
3B: Non-availability of any vital medical substance without a prescription from a licensed doctor
3C: Mandatory checks on any current prescription's length to identify potential abuse of substances
3D: Constant supply of vital drugs at all medical facilities

3A - MORE background checks. A clue for you, the problems of the world ain't solved by some simplistic notion of "DO BACKGROUND CHECKS!!"
3B - :blink:
3C - "mandatory checks on prescription length". Whoop-tee-do. So much for chronic illnesses, right? But they don't count, because you been taking this drug too long!
3D - Ummm ... That is what a pharmacy DOES. They run low or out, they order more. It is called "Inventory Control". Do we need the WA to tell folks water is wet, too?

This whole mess shows an astounding lack of knowledge about what medications are, how they are used, and how to obtain them; instead defaulting to the "OMG DRUGS ARE BAD" setting with ridiculous one-size-fits-nobody requirements. I would recommend you do a WHOLE lot more research into this, trash this draft, and if you still believe this is anything like necessary after you finish that research, do a 100% rewrite. Because this dog ain't gonna hunt as it is now. The prospects of saving it are near on 0.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Arotania
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Arotania » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:01 pm

Since this proposal fails to define substance, medical, use and abuse it is completely broken (in what category does water fall?). It is also a bit mystifying why the proposal classifies marijuana as more harmfull than tobacco. As our esteemed colleague has pointed out, throwing away the whole proposal and starting anew might be more time-efficient than trying to salvage it.

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:10 pm

Xandrovinia wrote:1A: Total ban on all harmful substances such as Marijuana, Cocaine, etc.
1B: A serious restriction on the purchasing of less-harmful substances such as Alchohol, Tobacco, etc.[/list]

Sola dosis facit venenum, the dose makes the poison. Under these clauses, every substance imaginable could be banned, since it is not clear how 'harmful' or 'less-harmful' are defined, where the difference is between the both, and what the boundary to *'non-harmful' would be. This alone makes the proposal inacceptable.
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:41 pm

The New Nordic Union wrote:
Xandrovinia wrote:1A: Total ban on all harmful substances such as Marijuana, Cocaine, etc.
1B: A serious restriction on the purchasing of less-harmful substances such as Alchohol, Tobacco, etc.[/list]

Sola dosis facit venenum, the dose makes the poison. Under these clauses, every substance imaginable could be banned, since it is not clear how 'harmful' or 'less-harmful' are defined, where the difference is between the both, and what the boundary to *'non-harmful' would be. This alone makes the proposal inacceptable.

Teran Saber: "'This product contains chemicals known to the planet of Space California to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm' is a common humorous quote in the Greater Siriusian Domain regarding this issue."
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:25 pm

"Whenever you put 1B, 2C, 3A or 4A, you can just put B, C, A, A as they are subclauses. As others have mentioned, you need to change some definitions and add some."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly