NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITED] Regulation Of Weaponized AI, by Blyskalia

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

[SUBMITED] Regulation Of Weaponized AI, by Blyskalia

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:37 pm

This proposal is by Blyskalia.

General Assembly Proposal
ID: blyskalia_1522889966

Regulation Of Weaponized AI
A resolution to slash worldwide military spending.

Category: Global Disarmament
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: Blyskalia

The World Assembly,

NOTING recent developments in Artificial Intelligence which now allow far more advanced functions and capabilities than previously thought;

ACCOUNTING FOR the massive Scientific and Technological benefits associated with said increase in AI capability and functionality;

CONCERNED by new advancements which now allow for the possibility of weaponized AI to operate autonomously in combat zones and/or to be used in the place of human controlled drones or human combatants;

FURTHER CONCERNED that an AI could be given the ability to kill without any human authorization or intervention of any kind;

APPALLED by the complete and total lack of regard for the indisputable sanctity of human life and the reckless lack of regard for the safety of innocent civilians and non-combatants in wartime;

BANS AI development into the following spheres:
1. Intentional and explicit military use.
2. Autonomously acting weapons systems designed either for civil defense or military purposes.
3. Any military device designed to autonomously kill without need for a human to authorize said kill.
4. Any AI with the capability to autonomously launch a Nuclear device or similar WMD.

RESTRICTS AI development in the following spheres:
1. Autonomously operating weaponized AI for police and public safety use.
2. The creation and building of functional weaponized AI with the capability to kill by a private citizen without proper authorization.
3. Weaponized autonomous AI developed by a corporation or corporate entity.
4. Lethally capable weapons systems with the ability to discharge or otherwise operate without human authorization.

ENCOURAGES AND ENDORSES AI research into the following spheres:
1. Disaster Recovery.
2. Firefighting.
3. Non-weaponized police AI.
4. Biohazard and Nuclear disaster cleanup efforts.
5. Medical research, DNA anaylsis, as well as protein synthesis etc.
6. AI used for the purpose of storing information, archiving, or otherwise educating.

FORMS henceforth the Artificial Intelligence Board of Oversight and Regulations (AIBOR) for the purpose of:
1. Prosecuting violators of this Resolution, and addressing future issues arising from the development of new AI, weaponization of AI, and illegal and inhumane use of AI.
2. Supporting new efforts to research beneficial AI and to promote scientific development through complete transparency in research and easily accessible available studies to encourage the development of humane and beneficial AI.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:39 pm

VOTE NAY!

This was posted due to the dispatch of a campaign to delegates. Contents of that campaign are in the spoiler below.

Hello Delegate of the World Assembly!

I do not wish to take up your valuable time, so I will make this message short and sweet.

I require YOUR support in bringing a recently submitted resolution into debate. I ask you to read and support Regulation of Weaponized AI

https://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_view_proposal/id=blyskalia_1522889966

This Resolution is designed to encourage the development of AI and also restrict the implementation of harmful and dangerous weaponized AI, such as AI designed to launch nuclear weapons or other WMD's indiscriminately. This is a massive issue, and with your support, we can see it reach a debate in the GA. A balance must be struck between science and weaponization; I am using this resolution to both SUPPORT scientific advancement, and also keep the citizens of the workd safe in a more secure, stable world.

Thank you sincerely for your time and support,

Joshua

I oppose this proposal. It does not really seem to consider the generality of artificial intelligence, nor is its enforcement mechanism anything but illegal, I believe, under On Universal Jurisdiction.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

New-Brussels
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New-Brussels » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:26 pm

OOC : I tried to tell him his legislation was way too tight when I saw those telegrams... I sincerely hope this doesn't pass, but seeing how the Encryption Privacy Act is gaining traction, I wouldn't be surprised if this proposal's campaign saved it from obvious doom...
From the Rafterian Partenariat Department of Legislation,
His Holiness Todd Rafter, President of Honor

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:47 am

(OOC: We all know how the old mantra goes: “No Draft, No Support.”.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:00 am

OOC: Looks like it confuses AIs with "smart" programs. An automated weapons launching system is no more an AI (probably less) than smartphone autocorrection. (Speaking of which, I am enormously amused that my spellchecker flags that word but nothing else...)
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:07 am

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: We all know how the old mantra goes: “No Draft, No Support.”.)

OOC: This. This this this this this. We can't have rogue proposals running around.
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

New-Brussels
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New-Brussels » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:02 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Looks like it confuses AIs with "smart" programs. An automated weapons launching system is no more an AI (probably less) than smartphone autocorrection. (Speaking of which, I am enormously amused that my spellchecker flags that word but nothing else...)

OOC: Have you watched "Wargames" or "Chappie" ?
From the Rafterian Partenariat Department of Legislation,
His Holiness Todd Rafter, President of Honor

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:12 am

New-Brussels wrote:OOC: Have you watched "Wargames" or "Chappie" ?

OOC: Neither of which changes my opinion as per "smart programs do not equal artificial intelligence".
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly