NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Protection of Primitive Habitable Bodies

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

[ABANDONED] Protection of Primitive Habitable Bodies

Postby Aureumterra » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:44 pm

RECOGNIZING the amount of primitive habitable bodies in the multiverse

CONCERNED over the exploitation of these bodies by more advanced nations, often leading to severely negative consequences

BELIEVING that these planets have the right to remain untouched until sentient life develops

THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY HEREBY:

DEFINES for the purpose of this proposal
I. Habitable Bodies as a planet’s or a natural satellite’s ability to generate all life endogenously

II. Sentient beings as entities with the capacity to perceive or experience subjectively

III. Primitive Habitable Bodies as habitable bodies that do not have a native type 1 or greater civilization

IV. Type 1 Civilizations as civilizations that can use and store energy which reaches its planet from its parent star

V. Native Civilizations as civilizations with indigenous origin or growth on a body

VI. Small Scale Research activities as activities of limited size or extent with the purpose of research on local anomalies

VII. Catysclasmic Events as events that could potentially wipe out all life on a habitable body

MANDATES the World Assembly and its member nations to:
I. Limit all but small scale research activities on primitive habitable bodies

II. Designate special status to such bodies protecting it from outside activity

III. Rendering above clauses null and void shall said body develops a type 1 or higher civilization

IV. Rendering above clauses null and void shall said body be integrated into another type 1 or higher nation

V. Rendering above clauses null and void shall a catysclasmic event threaten the overall biosphere of a habitable body

OOC: Needs a lot of work, but as a rough draft, seems pretty OK to me, feel free to leave suggestions here
Last edited by Aureumterra on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

The First German Order
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:47 pm

"What do you mean by "tier 1 or above civilization"? Also this seems a bit necessary, but I'll stick with it through its drafting. It seems like an... interesting topic to cover."
”Nuclear strikes do not damage the phone network. The atom respects your right to a final call.” - Dumb Ideologies

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:10 pm

The First German Order wrote:"What do you mean by "tier 1 or above civilization"? Also this seems a bit necessary, but I'll stick with it through its drafting. It seems like an… interesting topic to cover."

“I have defined type 1, but I’ll change tier to type.”
Last edited by Aureumterra on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Allied Sapients
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Allied Sapients » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:12 pm

“First of all, using ‘sentient’ means this would apply to a planet with any sort of animal life on it,” says Ambassador Olsh. “A dog is sentient. Second of all, this mandates noninterference even if, for example, a large comet or meteor were on a collision path with the planetary body in question. Third, why should we not interfere? If we can improve the quality of life of a planetbound society, then we have a duty to do that.”
The Ambassador of the Confederacy of Allied Sapients is Lirn Jenht Olsh, who is definitely an alien of some sort.

A Tier 8, Type 8.5-ish civilization by this ranking. Has routine contact with a Tier 10, Type 7 civilization and may or may not be piggybacking on some of their tech.

Puppet of Essu Beti

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Allied Sapients wrote:“First of all, using ‘sentient’ means this would apply to a planet with any sort of animal life on it,” says Ambassador Olsh. “A dog is sentient. Second of all, this mandates noninterference even if, for example, a large comet or meteor were on a collision path with the planetary body in question. Third, why should we not interfere? If we can improve the quality of life of a planetbound society, then we have a duty to do that.”

“Yes, I might have misused the word sentient, let me change it to ‘sapient’. Second, yes, this does mandate non interference, and I’ll add a clause with it having exception to said planet’s catysclasmic events. Third, I do not support tampering with natural progression of civilization. Also, ‘improving’ is a very subjective term, a radical nation might consider improving quality of life as enslaving the populace to work for them, thus ruining the point of this proposal.
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Allied Sapients
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Allied Sapients » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:46 pm

“Then they would be wrong, and also in violation of GAR #23,” says Ambassador Olsh. “There are, in fact, many resolutions that afford protections to sapient beings from World Assembly nations. There is no need to go so far as to ban any and all interference.”
The Ambassador of the Confederacy of Allied Sapients is Lirn Jenht Olsh, who is definitely an alien of some sort.

A Tier 8, Type 8.5-ish civilization by this ranking. Has routine contact with a Tier 10, Type 7 civilization and may or may not be piggybacking on some of their tech.

Puppet of Essu Beti

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:47 pm

Allied Sapients wrote:“Then they would be wrong, and also in violation of GAR #23,” says Ambassador Olsh. “There are, in fact, many resolutions that afford protections to sapient beings from World Assembly nations. There is no need to go so far as to ban any and all interference.”

“This resolution is not to just protect sapients on these planets, but the planet itself, along with its biosphere. Outside interference, no matter what kind tends to have a negative effect”
Last edited by Aureumterra on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Allied Sapients
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Allied Sapients » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:57 pm

Aureumterra wrote:“This resolution is not to just protect sapients on these planets, but the planet itself, along with its biosphere. Outside interference, no matter what kind tends to have a negative effect”

“I beg to differ. The Coalition that I am a part of has technologically uplifted thousands of sapient species, the vast majority of which were trapped in a pre-industrial state. Sapients tend to do far better when they are not constantly worried about where their next meal will come from, or when a plague will next sweep across the land. As for the biosphere, it is when societies no longer need to overexploit their environment that they cease to do so.”

Puppet of Essu Beti

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:28 pm

Allied Sapients wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:“This resolution is not to just protect sapients on these planets, but the planet itself, along with its biosphere. Outside interference, no matter what kind tends to have a negative effect”

“I beg to differ. The Coalition that I am a part of has technologically uplifted thousands of sapient species, the vast majority of which were trapped in a pre-industrial state. Sapients tend to do far better when they are not constantly worried about where their next meal will come from, or when a plague will next sweep across the land. As for the biosphere, it is when societies no longer need to overexploit their environment that they cease to do so.”

“We also differ to your beliefs, as we have observed on many occasions the devastating effects of interference. Disease spreads like wildfire, and invasive species take over fast. Unless the natives have protection measures for their biosphere, it is very dangerous to do so.”
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

The First German Order
Envoy

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:30 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Allied Sapients wrote:

“We also differ to your beliefs, as we have observed on many occasions the devastating effects of interference. Disease spreads like wildfire, and invasive species take over fast. Unless the natives have protection measures for their biosphere, it is very dangerous to do so.”

"It is only dangerous if the people interfering are careless or don't know what they're doing."
”Nuclear strikes do not damage the phone network. The atom respects your right to a final call.” - Dumb Ideologies

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:59 pm

The First German Order wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:“We also differ to your beliefs, as we have observed on many occasions the devastating effects of interference. Disease spreads like wildfire, and invasive species take over fast. Unless the natives have protection measures for their biosphere, it is very dangerous to do so.”

“It is only dangerous if the people interfering are careless or don't know what they're doing."

“It’s better to be safe than sorry”
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

The First German Order
Envoy

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:01 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
The First German Order wrote:“It is only dangerous if the people interfering are careless or don't know what they're doing."

“It’s better to be safe than sorry”

"Better to be safe than sorry?! So if a sapient population on a planet is suffering from a massive plague, we just leave them and let them suffer? That's ridiculous. The fact that you are banning everyone, even nations that are very experienced with this and careful when going about this, from interfering with a sapient population is ridiculous."

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:07 pm

Aureumterra wrote:“It’s better to be safe than sorry”

"Better to be safe than sorry?! So if a sapient population on a planet is suffering from a massive plague, we just leave them and let them suffer? That's ridiculous. The fact that you are banning everyone, even nations that are very experienced with this and careful when going about this, from interfering with a sapient population is ridiculous."

Aureumterra wrote:
V. Rendering above clauses null and void shall a catysclasmic event threaten the overall biosphere of a habitable body
Last edited by Aureumterra on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

The First German Order
Envoy

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:09 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
The First German Order wrote:"Better to be safe than sorry?! So if a sapient population on a planet is suffering from a massive plague, we just leave them and let them suffer? That's ridiculous. The fact that you are banning everyone, even nations that are very experienced with this and careful when going about this, from interfering with a sapient population is ridiculous."

Aureumterra wrote:

"This proposal seems nearly completely necessary."

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:12 pm

Aureumterra wrote:

"This proposal seems nearly completely necessary."

OOC: I cant tell what that was supposed to mean
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Allied Sapients
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Allied Sapients » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:12 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
The First German Order wrote:"Better to be safe than sorry?! So if a sapient population on a planet is suffering from a massive plague, we just leave them and let them suffer? That's ridiculous. The fact that you are banning everyone, even nations that are very experienced with this and careful when going about this, from interfering with a sapient population is ridiculous."

Aureumterra wrote:

“A plague does not threaten the overall biosphere of a habitable body. The ambassador’s point remains.”

Puppet of Essu Beti

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:14 pm

Allied Sapients wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:

“A plague does not threaten the overall biosphere of a habitable body. The ambassador’s point remains.”

“Yes, it does. A Plague of a magnitude large enough to threaten a major sapient species will cause a chain reaction in the Biosphere’s equilibrium.”
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Allied Sapients
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Allied Sapients » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:28 pm

“If anything, it would do the exact opposite of threatening the biosphere. Sapients are not easy on the environment.”

((OOC: The Black Death, which killed somewhere in the vicinity of 50% of the population of Europe and large swaths of Asia, is thought to have improved the biosphere because there were substantially less people around to work in mines and other jobs that pump polutants into the atmosphere.))

Puppet of Essu Beti

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:28 pm

"There are resolutions that demand that other member nations help one suffering from a certain kind of calamity, such as the aftermath of a genocidal war. Anything that would ban that help, would be contradiction and thus render this proposal illegal," Johan explained.

Allied Sapients wrote:((OOC: The Black Death, which killed somewhere in the vicinity of 50% of the population of Europe and large swaths of Asia, is thought to have improved the biosphere because there were substantially less people around to work in mines and other jobs that pump polutants into the atmosphere.))

OOC: I think mostly that was thanks to less wood being cut (and burned), which let forests regrow in many areas. And of course fewer people in the population centers shitting up the rivers and lakes. They didn't have many polluting factories back in the 1300's...
Last edited by Araraukar on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The First German Order
Envoy

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:52 am

Araraukar wrote:"There are resolutions that demand that other member nations help one suffering from a certain kind of calamity, such as the aftermath of a genocidal war. Anything that would ban that help, would be contradiction and thus render this proposal illegal," Johan explained.

Allied Sapients wrote:((OOC: The Black Death, which killed somewhere in the vicinity of 50% of the population of Europe and large swaths of Asia, is thought to have improved the biosphere because there were substantially less people around to work in mines and other jobs that pump polutants into the atmosphere.))

OOC: I think mostly that was thanks to less wood being cut (and burned), which let forests regrow in many areas. And of course fewer people in the population centers shitting up the rivers and lakes. They didn't have many polluting factories back in the 1300's...

OOC: Well humans tend to have the habit of ruining stuff one way or another like that. It’s really weird how people can care so little about the environment that keeps us alive. I mean, we originated from nature, most likely Africa, and now lots of people couldn’t care less about nature. It’s absurd.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:08 am

The First German Order wrote:OOC: and now lots of people couldn’t care less about nature.

OOC: Maybe where you live. But that's not really the topic here.

Also, to the author: calling the vast majority of WA nations "primitive" isn't going to get you many friends at the voting stage.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The First German Order
Envoy

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:13 am

OOC: Something that I didn't notice earlier, interfering with "primitive" life on a planet doesn't always, or often, have negative consequences. Also if a sapient population can use and store solar energy, or any other, then they're far from primitive.

Dirty Americans
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dirty Americans » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:47 am

Aureumterra wrote:IV. Type 1 Civilizations as civilizations that can use and store all of the energy which reaches its planet from its parent star

Honestly, this is a somewhat odd definition. The civilization must use "ALL" of the energy from the star? Doesn't the planet need energy too? I can see this large eclipsing satellite in Lagrangian orbit (an unstable point I must add but whatever) collecting all the energy and making the planet a land of perpetual darkness.

What about civilizations that do just fine exploiting their planets natural thermal or magnetic energy?
Dirty Americans of The East Pacific
Member of the Tzorsland Puppet Federation
Mike Rowe, Leader / John Henry, Ambassador
Bill Nye Science Guy / Rosie O'Donnel Social Warrior/ Michelle Obama Food Expert

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:07 am

Dirty Americans wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:IV. Type 1 Civilizations as civilizations that can use and store all of the energy which reaches its planet from its parent star

Honestly, this is a somewhat odd definition. The civilization must use "ALL" of the energy from the star? Doesn't the planet need energy too? I can see this large eclipsing satellite in Lagrangian orbit (an unstable point I must add but whatever) collecting all the energy and making the planet a land of perpetual darkness.

What about civilizations that do just fine exploiting their planets natural thermal or magnetic energy?

That is an actual method of classifying alien species, the Kardavesh Scale, which means the definition can't be used in a proposal due to plagiarism rule.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:28 am

Kenmoria wrote:Kardavesh Scale, which means the definition can't be used in a proposal due to plagiarism rule.

No, plagiarism rule doesn't apply to ideas (unless you allege intellectual property theft), only to texts.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly