NATION

PASSWORD

[CLOSED] Regulation of the Acquisition of Firearms

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would you support this proposal in its current state?

Yes
8%
No, but I support its basic premise
8%
No, because gun control impedes on national sovereignty
44%
No, because gun control is ineffective against gun violence
40%

Total votes : 25

New-Brussels
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New-Brussels » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Jan Herst clears his throat before jumping from his seat.

"Excuse me, delegate."

Heads turn around to face the attaché, surprised by such a sudden move.

"I believe that including 'Gun Control' in the title would be very pertinent for this resolution. Read this clause from the current draft once again."
He quotes :

3) All gun sellers are required to run background checks before selling firearms to individuals. They must also maintain records of their inventory and the firearms they sell.[...]

"Anyone under the world assembly who wishes to sell firearms to someone would now be subject to legislation that controls the way they distribute their product, guns. Thus, 'Gun Control' defines your intent very well. Please," he says in a very sincere tone, "do not infer that you are not trying to limit national sovereignty too much when you are aiming to implement such a resolution."

The attaché pauses to breathe before resuming, briefly polling the tension in the room.

"As you may have understood, we believe not unlike many member nations that such restrictions on armament distribution in general do no good for global harmony, let alone for public safety. We should let our world's sovereign leaders decide if their citizens should be harmless, in a sense. I think you'll find what truly is the spirit of this assembly when it will be time to decide."

The assembly stays calm for a minute before resuming it's proceedings.

OOC :

No beef, and notwithstanding the fact that I implemented gun control in New-Brussels, I still believe it would be misleading to not at least call this resolution "Common Sense Gun Control".

Obviously there have already been great debates over gun control which I have missed, and I think we already know that people will oppose this en bloc, but I think you should still submit your resolution as it does indeed profess a good load of common sense.
From the Rafterian Partenariat Department of Legislation,
His Holiness Todd Rafter, President of Honor

Neo Byzantium
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Byzantium » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:58 pm

Edgar Brits subtle ques chain slowly as he reads the Draft. He began with a stern look that slowly softened as he read the draft, culminating in him reading the final line. Finally, he waits for his opportunity to speak and seizes it by standing up from his chair in a reasonable manner.

"Delegate. The title of the proposal is rather vague, as the idea of 'common sense' varies from person to person. I recommend a change such as: 'The Gun Marketing Act For Encouraging Responsible Gun Sales' as it is what the bill proscribes upon the member states. The measures of 1, 2, 4, and 5 leave lots of autonomy and decision making to member nations, which I believe is needed for such a contentious issue. Although I am concerned about the possible use of the required records for use by the government for a crackdown, it is a law present in both my nation and in many others that allow the possession of firearms. I have no objections towards the rest of the draft, and will therefore vote in favor of it."

After speaking, he calmly resumed his spot in his seat.

OOC: Common Sense Gun Laws is a bad name, I do recommend the name Edgar proposed due to its objective nature and the fact it describes what it is.
Last edited by Neo Byzantium on Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:15 am

Opposed. We do not need international interference in what is purely a domestic issue. Plus we do not allow private citizens to access anyone’s criminal records. Only government officials and law enforcement are allowed to do so. Those who wish to sell firearms will not be able to run background checks. Nor will we create a waiting period to make non citizens fell safe.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:05 pm

1) Nations are encouraged to strengthen background checks and install grace periods between firearm transactions to allow for a more thorough background check.

Background checks are not quite the one-size-fits-all panacea some believe them to be. Grace/waiting periods are pointless. Criminals, who intend to do criminal things, are not subject to either when they purchase out of the back of a van someplace.

2) Nations are strongly recommended to create a requirement for its citizens to have a psychological evaluation before purchasing a gun in order to determine if the person in question is afflicted with an issue that makes them a hazard to the public.
And who does these evals? According to some, just the fact somebody wants to pwn a gun "proves" they are unstable and dangerous. Or this could become politicized and anybody not a stalwart of the ruling party is banned.

3) All gun sellers are required to run background checks before selling firearms to individuals. They must also maintain records of their inventory and the firearms they sell. It is mandatory that gun dealers report any firearm thefts to their local authorities.
A merchant required to keep records. What an idea! *ahem* INVENTORY CONTROL. It has been done since the first merchant opened the first stall to sell something. And mandating that thefts be reported? WOW! I bet nobody ever thought of that. "Hello, Police? Yeah, somebody stole my TV. My guns, nah, never mind about them." said nobody with stolen items ever.

4) Nations are prohibited from allowing people deemed "dangerous individuals" to purchase, sell, or handle a firearm.
Got a problem with this "dangerous individual" stuff. "been psychiatrically evaluated by a mental health professional" seems to cut into doctor-patient confidentiality, as well as a right to privacy for medical records. Unless you are advocating that all medical records be opened to any bureaucrat who wants to red them. Yeah, nothing could go wrong there.

5) Nations are urged to take measures to reduce transactions of firearms through unlawful means.
Oh, you mean like, say, POLICE WORK? In other news, water is wet.

6) Individuals afflicted with mental illnesses including but not limited to depression, anxiety disorders, eating disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and substance abuse disorders are not considered an inherent danger to the public and are therefore not prohibited from acquiring, handling or selling a firearm for their mental affliction under this resolution.
Fluff. If you want Doctors to comply with violating their patients privacy as mandated in Clause 4, then this would of course be included. Unless the Doctors get no say in their diagnosis and that is turned over to political bureaucrats. Then it makes it even worse.

For something called "Common Sense Gun Laws" I am not seeing a whole lot of common sense in this thing, just a gaggle of knee jerk reactions, and pointless requirements.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:28 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:According to some, just the fact somebody wants to pwn a gun "proves" they are unstable and dangerous.

OOC: That would totally be the case in Araraukar. :P

"Hello, Police? Yeah, somebody stole my TV. My guns, nah, never mind about them." said nobody with stolen items ever.

Unless, according to CSI tv series, they'd done something shady with said gun and wanted to declare it stolen right when they're calling 911 about a house break-in...

Unless the Doctors get no say in their diagnosis and that is turned over to political bureaucrats.

*mutters darkly something about Real Life*
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kranostav
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:01 am

This is not a WA issue. I will strongly oppose.
Non-compliance is lame and you should feel bad
The meddling WA Kid of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

Copperward
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Copperward » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:38 pm

Thank you everyone for your constructive criticism and for sharing your opinions on gun control and the content in my draft. I'm sorry for not responding to everyone's comments and for neglecting this proposal.

In hindsight, making a proposal oriented towards a topic as controversial as gun control without much prior experience was downright ignorant, and I sincerely sorry for offending anyone on the topic of mental health and gun control with this draft. I'm going to make a poll on this thread on people's views on a gun control resolution, and people's opinion on the current draft. If there's an overwhelming consensus that my draft is unfit for the WA, I'll suspend drafting and possibly close down the draft for good.

Copperward
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Copperward » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:47 pm

After observing how the majority of people believe that a GA resolution on gun control is both ineffective and impedes on national sovereignty, I am closing the drafting of this proposal, and likely ending it for good. Bring out the kerosene, Separatist Peoples!

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:19 pm

Copperward wrote:After observing how the majority of people believe that a GA resolution on gun control is both ineffective and impedes on national sovereignty, I am closing the drafting of this proposal, and likely ending it for good. Bring out the kerosene, Separatist Peoples!

(OOC: In most cases, drafting gun control is nearly impossible to do anyway, never mind for a relatively new author. I would certainly like to see you around here again sometime.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Copperward
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Copperward » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:52 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Copperward wrote:After observing how the majority of people believe that a GA resolution on gun control is both ineffective and impedes on national sovereignty, I am closing the drafting of this proposal, and likely ending it for good. Bring out the kerosene, Separatist Peoples!

(OOC: In most cases, drafting gun control is nearly impossible to do anyway, never mind for a relatively new author. I would certainly like to see you around here again sometime.)

I'll probably take some time off from the WA and writing proposals, especially with this nation given that I've resigned from the WA to pass the WA status to my current primary account, but I'll be back to continuing my older proposal in water shortages very soon. Thanks for your help, King of Grammar. :)

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly