NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Right to paid parental leave

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Edrarin
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Right to paid parental leave

Postby Edrarin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:07 pm

OOC: I would love some feedback! This is one of the first proper drafts I have created. I would like to Know if the Category and Area of Affect are correct. Thanks! :)

Social Justice:
Significant

The World Assembly,

Defines:
Parental leave as leave taken when an employee or a spouse of an employee gives birth or adopts a child.

A child as a lifeform below the legal age of majority

Understanding that becoming a primary carer of a child is a colossal task and for employees who are forced to take unpaid family leave, the situation becomes unbelievably more challenging.

Hereby:
Declares that a citizen of a WA member nation is eligible for parental leave if they work for an employer.

Demands that employees who meet this requirement and will be the primary caregiver of a newborn or adopted child are entitled to adequate paid parental leave, which will ensure a safe birth or typical adoption.

Notes that this does not prevent or encourage additional paid parental leave on the part of nations or businesses.

Further notes that citizens who are not to be the primary caregiver of the newborn or adopted child are to receive paid leave at the choice of states.

Clarifies that all paid leave, whether or not the employee will be the primary caregiver, shall be paid directly by employer to employees.

The Right to Paid Parental Leave

Category: Health
Area of Affect: Healthcare

The World Assembly, Hereby:

Defines:
Parental Leave as leave taken when an employee or a spouse of an employee gives birth or adopts a child.

Understanding that Becoming a new parent is a colossal task and for parents who are forced to take unpaid family leave, the situation becomes unbelievably more challenging.

Hereby Establishes:
Declares that a citizen of a WA member nation is eligible for parental leave if they have worked at their employer for the minimum of twelve Months.
Establishes that employees who meet this requirement and will be the primary caregiver of a newborn or adopted child are entitled to four weeks paid leave prior to expected birth and eighteen weeks of paid leave post birth at the national minimum wage.
Notes that this does not prevent or encourage additional paid parental leave on the part of nations or businesses.
Further notes that spouses who are not to be the primary caregiver of the newborn or adopted child are to receive two weeks of paid leave at the national minimum wage.
Clarifies that all paid leave, whether or not the employee will be the primary caregiver, shall be paid directly by the employer to employees.

The World Assembly, Hereby:

Defines:
Parental Leave as leave taken when an employee or a spouse of an employee gives birth or adopts a child.

Understanding that Becoming a new parent is a colossal task and for parents who are forced to take unpaid family leave, the situation becomes unbelievably more challenging.

Hereby Establishes:
Declares that a citizen of a WA member nation is eligible for parental leave if they have worked at their employer for the minimum of twelve Months.
Establishes that employees who meet this requirement and will be the primary caregiver of a newborn or adopted child are entitled to four weeks paid leave prior to expected birth and eighteen weeks of paid leave post birth at the national minimum wage.
Further notes that spouses who are not to be the primary caregiver of the newborn or adopted child are to receive two weeks of paid leave at the national minimum wage.
Clarifies that all paid leave, whether or not the employee will be the primary caregiver, shall be paid directly by the employer to employees.

The World Assembly,

Defines:

Hereby:

Further notes that spouses who are not to be the primary caregiver of the newborn or adopted child are to receive 2 weeks of paid leave at the national minimum wage.

Clarifies that all paid leave, whether or not the employee will be the primary caregiver, shall be paid directly by employer to employees.

The World Assembly,

Defines:

Understanding that becoming a primary carer of a child is a colossal task and for employees who are forced to take unpaid family leave, the situation becomes unbelievably more challenging.

Hereby:
Declares that a citizen of a WA member nation is eligible for parental leave if they have worked at their employer for the minimum of twelve months.

Establishes that employees who meet this requirement and will be the primary caregiver of a newborn or adopted child are entitled to four weeks paid leave prior to expected birth and fourteen weeks of paid leave post birth.

Further notes that citizens who are not to be the primary caregiver of the newborn or adopted child are to receive 2 weeks of paid leave

Last edited by Edrarin on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:47 am, edited 10 times in total.

Copperward
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Copperward » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:17 pm

I believe an issue such as parental leave should be dealt by nations individually. Additionally, there is already a NS issue where nations can decide to completely remove parental leave, allow it exclusively for mothers, or extend it to both parents.

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:18 pm

((OOC: As a whole, the WA does not take into account gameside Issues.))

Iksana lazily raises his hand. "My species is marsupial. We only have a one-month gestation period. A four week leave prior to birth would mean, well, that we'd be entitled to have paid leave before we ever knew we were pregnant. That's not exactly feasible."
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Masurbia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Masurbia » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:49 pm

Edrarin wrote: or adopts a child.

What is the cut off age for being a child?
I see, therefore I am not blind.

Edrarin
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Edrarin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:53 pm

Masurbia wrote:
Edrarin wrote: or adopts a child.

What is the cut off age for being a child?

16 years of age.
Michael Yeltsin
Federal Unions ambassador to the World Assembly

Masurbia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Masurbia » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:05 pm

Edrarin wrote:
Masurbia wrote:What is the cut off age for being a child?

16 years of age.

So if I adopt a 16 y/o kid, I get 18 weeks of paid leave?

Edrarin
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Edrarin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:07 pm

Masurbia wrote:
Edrarin wrote:16 years of age.

So if I adopt a 16 y/o kid, I get 18 weeks of paid leave?

Yes, you receive up to 18 weeks of paid leave if the child you are adopting is under the age of 16. I will make it more clear in the final edit.
Michael Yeltsin

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:47 pm

"Well you're already ignoring me for one point, so here's another for you to ignore," Iksana continues. "Different cultures consider adulthood to start at different times. I understand leave for adopting a child still nursing, but an older one might run into issues. I, for one, left my family to start working when I was thirteen years old, and that was the same for some humans in my enclave, too."

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Edrarin
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Edrarin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:53 pm

Essu Beti wrote:"Well you're already ignoring me for one point, so here's another for you to ignore," Iksana continues. "Different cultures consider adulthood to start at different times. I understand leave for adopting a child still nursing, but an older one might run into issues. I, for one, left my family to start working when I was thirteen years old, and that was the same for some humans in my enclave, too."

Well if you left your family, then you are no longer in their care. If you give birth, then you will be entitled to the paid leave. If you adopt a child you will be entitled to the pay stated in the draft.
Michael Yeltsin

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:04 pm

Iksana raises an eyebrow. "Kind of impossible for me to give birth, but you're not answering my implied question. Why do you feel paid parental leave is needed for older children? And why are you insisting, though not in the draft yet, that sixteen is the cut off age? Sixteen! Most people in my home culture are married by sixteen!"

Edrarin
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Edrarin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:10 pm

Essu Beti wrote:Iksana raises an eyebrow. "Kind of impossible for me to give birth, but you're not answering my implied question. Why do you feel paid parental leave is needed for older children? And why are you insisting, though not in the draft yet, that sixteen is the cut off age? Sixteen! Most people in my home culture are married by sixteen!"

Culture is different in many nations, yes, and this is only the first draft and is bound to be changed to implement suggestions. I feel that you will need leave when adopting an older child because the child will need to fit into a new environment. The child will have to adapt to a new lifestyle and people. People will need the paid leave to guide their older child, to make the transition a lot easier.
Michael Yeltsin

The First German Order
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:27 pm

Edrarin wrote:
Masurbia wrote:What is the cut off age for being a child?

16 years of age.

OOC: Different nations have different ages of majority. Also, adopting and getting parental leave is stupid. Most of the time a child that is adopted can take care of themself for a few hours.
”Nuclear strikes do not damage the phone network. The atom respects your right to a final call.” - Dumb Ideologies

The First German Order
Envoy

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:29 pm

Edrarin wrote:
Essu Beti wrote:Iksana raises an eyebrow. "Kind of impossible for me to give birth, but you're not answering my implied question. Why do you feel paid parental leave is needed for older children? And why are you insisting, though not in the draft yet, that sixteen is the cut off age? Sixteen! Most people in my home culture are married by sixteen!"

Culture is different in many nations, yes, and this is only the first draft and is bound to be changed to implement suggestions. I feel that you will need leave when adopting an older child because the child will need to fit into a new environment. The child will have to adapt to a new lifestyle and people. People will need the paid leave to guide their older child, to make the transition a lot easier.

OOC: The child can adapt while alone or, I don't know, attend school. I think you haven't done enough research on this topic nor have enough prior knowledge or consideration to do this. You've only properly answered one question from people. That's just ridiculous.
Last edited by The First German Order on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
”Nuclear strikes do not damage the phone network. The atom respects your right to a final call.” - Dumb Ideologies

Edrarin
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Edrarin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:41 pm

The First German Order wrote:
Edrarin wrote:Culture is different in many nations, yes, and this is only the first draft and is bound to be changed to implement suggestions. I feel that you will need leave when adopting an older child because the child will need to fit into a new environment. The child will have to adapt to a new lifestyle and people. People will need the paid leave to guide their older child, to make the transition a lot easier.

OOC: The child can adapt while alone or, I don't know, attend school. I think you haven't done enough research on this topic nor have enough prior knowledge or consideration to do this. You've only properly answered one question from people. That's just ridiculous.

I didn't ask for your opinion on who I reply to and if it is answered correctly, I asked for constructive criticism in which I can make to my draft. I can't make anything with "adopting and getting parental leave is stupid"
Michael Yeltsin

Veniyerris
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Veniyerris » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:03 pm

The First German Order wrote:
Edrarin wrote:16 years of age.

OOC: Different nations have different ages of majority. Also, adopting and getting parental leave is stupid. Most of the time a child that is adopted can take care of themself for a few hours.

OOC: Adopting and getting parental leave is a common practice to allow the adopted child to bond with their new parents.

The First German Order
Envoy

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:54 pm

Veniyerris wrote:
The First German Order wrote:OOC: Different nations have different ages of majority. Also, adopting and getting parental leave is stupid. Most of the time a child that is adopted can take care of themself for a few hours.

OOC: Adopting and getting parental leave is a common practice to allow the adopted child to bond with their new parents.

OOC: Ah. Thank you for enlightening me on this. But just a question, if they are at a school age, wouldn't they be able to bond after their school and/or parent(s)'s work?
Edrarin wrote:
The First German Order wrote:OOC: The child can adapt while alone or, I don't know, attend school. I think you haven't done enough research on this topic nor have enough prior knowledge or consideration to do this. You've only properly answered one question from people. That's just ridiculous.

I didn't ask for your opinion on who I reply to and if it is answered correctly, I asked for constructive criticism in which I can make to my draft. I can't make anything with "adopting and getting parental leave is stupid"

OOC: I mean you could make it less confusing by explaining it more.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:07 am

Edrarin wrote:
Essu Beti wrote:"Well you're already ignoring me for one point, so here's another for you to ignore," Iksana continues. "Different cultures consider adulthood to start at different times. I understand leave for adopting a child still nursing, but an older one might run into issues. I, for one, left my family to start working when I was thirteen years old, and that was the same for some humans in my enclave, too."

Well if you left your family, then you are no longer in their care. If you give birth, then you will be entitled to the paid leave. If you adopt a child you will be entitled to the pay stated in the draft.

OOC: What he's trying to say in IC (in-character) is that there's a resolution that specifically gives the individual nations the right for such age determinations. Trying to put in a hard limit would be illegal for contradiction.

Other than that, since no-one else has yet said it, welcome to the GA forum! :)

Can you please explain your reasoning for choosing Healthcare as your category?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Edrarin
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Edrarin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:14 am

Araraukar wrote:
Edrarin wrote:Well if you left your family, then you are no longer in their care. If you give birth, then you will be entitled to the paid leave. If you adopt a child you will be entitled to the pay stated in the draft.

OOC: What he's trying to say in IC (in-character) is that there's a resolution that specifically gives the individual nations the right for such age determinations. Trying to put in a hard limit would be illegal for contradiction.

Other than that, since no-one else has yet said it, welcome to the GA forum! :)

Can you please explain your reasoning for choosing Healthcare as your category?

Thank you very much!
As I said in the draft OOC, I needed help in what category it was. I was undecided between Health or Human Rights.
Michael Yeltsin

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:24 am

Edrarin wrote:As I said in the draft OOC, I needed help in what category it was. I was undecided between Health or Human Rights.

OOC: Yeah, and I'm asking what made you make the choice for Health? I'm not saying it's necessarily wrong (it depends a lot on how things are worded), I'm asking why you feel Health (or Human Rights, for that matter) would be the right one.

Give your own reasoning, there's no wrong answer. :P

EDIT: Also, why only employees? Why not employers and unemployed as well?
Last edited by Araraukar on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Edrarin
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Edrarin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:30 am

Araraukar wrote:
Edrarin wrote:As I said in the draft OOC, I needed help in what category it was. I was undecided between Health or Human Rights.

OOC: Yeah, and I'm asking what made you make the choice for Health? I'm not saying it's necessarily wrong (it depends a lot on how things are worded), I'm asking why you feel Health (or Human Rights, for that matter) would be the right one.

Give your own reasoning, there's no wrong answer. :P

EDIT: Also, why only employees? Why not employers and unemployed as well?

Well for starters I chose health because it would relieve the stress on Pregnant women. It would give them eighteen weeks of paid leave so they can settle and do not have to worry about the stress of work. It would take care of them as they have a child and let the child transition into his/her new life.
As for your question on Employees and the Unemployed;
I am aware of a great deal of unemployed there are, but the Employed will get their paid leave. There are separate funds which specialize in aiding the unemployed.
Michael Yeltsin

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:27 am

"The "hereby" in the first line I'd unneeded; the "establishes" in the second line of the same sort about halfway down the proposal adds nothing; and you need line breaks between each active clause. Also, fixed ages are a very bad idea in GA proposals because, as my colleague has pointed out, different species mature at different rates. 16 may be elderly for some, or not yet learned to speak for others."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Edrarin
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Edrarin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:30 am

Kenmoria wrote:"The "hereby" in the first line I'd unneeded; the "establishes" in the second line of the same sort about halfway down the proposal adds nothing; and you need line breaks between each active clause. Also, fixed ages are a very bad idea in GA proposals because, as my colleague has pointed out, different species mature at different rates. 16 may be elderly for some, or not yet learned to speak for others."

Thank you for your suggestions. I am aware what your colleague said and I have made the changes.
Michael Yeltsin

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:43 am

We support the idea behind this proposal, but the proposal itself needs a lot of work.

• Wrong category -- it belongs in Social Justice since it would reduce economic freedoms.
  • Not all nations have marriage, so the provisions regarding spouses should be adjusted.
  • Not all nations have minimum wages, so the minimum wage provisions should be removed.
  • It is not clear why employers, instead of governments, should pay for parental leave.
  • This proposal could violate Resolution 302, Individual Working Freedoms.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Edrarin
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Edrarin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:02 am

Christian Democrats wrote:We support the idea behind this proposal, but the proposal itself needs a lot of work.

• Wrong category -- it belongs in Social Justice since it would reduce economic freedoms.
  • Not all nations have marriage, so the provisions regarding spouses should be adjusted.
  • Not all nations have minimum wages, so the minimum wage provisions should be removed.
  • It is not clear why employers, instead of governments, should pay for parental leave.
  • This proposal could violate Resolution 302, Individual Working Freedoms.

Thank you very much for this, and especially the correction of the category.
Michael Yeltsin

Masurbia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Masurbia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:44 am

This may not affect anything, but have you looked at GAR #297, Child Welfare in Adoption?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly