NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal "WA Counterterrorism Act"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

[DRAFT] Repeal "WA Counterterrorism Act"

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:44 am

The General Assembly,

RECOGNISING the positive measures taken by the WA Counterterrorism Act; however,

CONCERNED with various flaws in the target resolution that may prevent it from achieving it's noble goal;

WORRIED that the definition of terrorism given excludes that which is perpetrated by state actors;

NOTING with regret how this means countries or any persons working for a nation's government can engage in terrorist acts without them being labelled as such by the GA;

ALARMED with the definition of civilian provided leading to a member of a nation's armed forces or police that is currently not serving or on holiday to not be considered as a civilian under the resolution;

REALISING that cyber-terrorism and terrorist blackmail are regrettably not counted, as they should be, under the definition of terrorism due to not involving physical violence;

DISTURBED with the conclusions reached in the above clauses meaning that cyber terrorists are not classified as terrorists by the WA;

SADDENED by the aforementioned flaws in the definitions provided preventing the target resolution from properly addressing terrorism; but,

BElIEVING that a replacement draft will better allow member nations to combat the growing and dangerous threat of terrorism;

Therefore,

REPEALS GA #25, WA Counterterrorism Act, so that a better and more comprehensive resolution may be put in place.

GA #25

"Here is the Kenmoria WA mission's draft to repeal this resolution, which we feel does not adequately define the terms used. A flaw that could seriously impede a General Assembly member nation's efforts to combat the growing threat of terrorism. We welcome any feedback on this draft.

We now have a replacement being drafted that you can find on your second left.

The General Assembly,

RECOGNISING the positive measures taken by the WA Counterterrorism Act; however,

CONCERNED with various flaws in the target resolution that may prevent it from achieving it's noble goal;

WORRIED that the definition of terrorism given excludes that which is perpetrated by state actors;

NOTING with regret how this means countries or any persons working for a nation's government can engage in terrorist acts without them being labelled as such by the GA;

ALARMED with the definition of civilian provided leading to a member of a nation's armed forces or police that is currently not serving or on holiday to not be considered as a civilian under the resolution;

REALISING that cyber-terrorism and terrorist blackmail are regrettably not counted, as they should be, under the definition of terrorism due to not involving physical violence;

SADDENED by the aforementioned flaws in the definitions provided preventing the target resolution from properly addressing terrorism; but,

BElIEVING that a replacement draft will better allow member nations to combat the growing and dangerous threat of terrorism;

Therefore,

REPEALS GA #25, WA Counterterrorism Act, so that a better and more comprehensive resolution may be put in place.
The General Assembly,

RECOGNISING the positive measures taken by the WA Counterterrorism Act in combating terrorism; however,

CONCERNED with various flaws in the target resolution that may prevent it from achieving its noble goal;

WORRIED that the definition of terrorism given in the resolution excludes that which is perpetrated by state actors;

Therefore,

The General Assembly,

REALISING that cyber-terrorism and terrorist blackmail are regrettably not counted, as they should be, under the definition of terrorism due to not involving violence;

BElIEVING that a replacement draft will better allow member nations to combat the growing thread of terrorism;

Therefore,

The General Assembly,

REALISING that cyber-terrorism and terrorist blackmail are regrettably not counted, as they should be, under the definition of terrorism due to not involving violence;

HOPING for a more complete resolution to be created by the General Assembly to address the flaws in definitions listed;

Therefore,

The World Assembly,

NOTING with regret how this means countries or any persons working for a nation's government can engage in terrorist acts without them being labelled as such by the WA;

ALARMED with the definition of civilian leading to a member of a nation's armed forces or police that is currently not serving or on holiday to not be considered as a civilian under the resolution;

SADDENED by the aforementioned flaws in the definitions provided preventing the target resolution from properly addressing terrorism;

Therefore,

The World Assembly,

CONCERNED with various flaws in the target resolution that may prevent it from achieving its noble goal;

WORRIED that the definition of terrorism excludes that which is perpetrated by state actors;

NOTING with regret how this means a country practising terrorism can do so without it being labelled as such by the WA;

ALARMED with the definition of civilian leading to a member of a nation's armed forces or police that is currently not serving to not be considered a civilian under the resolution;

REALISING that cyber-terrorism is regrettably not counted as it should be under the definition of terrorism due to not involving violence;

SADDENED by the aforementioned flaws in the definitions preventing the target resolution from properly addressing terrorism;

Therefore,

REPEALS GA #25, WA Counterterrorism Act, so that a better resolution may be put in place.
Last edited by Kenmoria on Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:39 am, edited 8 times in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:06 am

OOC: Last time we tried a repeal, the ambassador was thrown out of a window and suffered a broken leg, so we regret to inform you of the presence of a bodyguard in case you feel the need to do something of that nature again."

It almost seems as you're baiting people to do it again. Just don't accept that it occurs.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:08 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
OOC: Last time we tried a repeal, the ambassador was thrown out of a window and suffered a broken leg, so we regret to inform you of the presence of a bodyguard in case you feel the need to do something of that nature again."

It almost seems as you're baiting people to do it again. Just don't accept that it occurs.

Edited out.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:21 am

Bell chuckles fondly at the memory of the last repeal attempt, "Ah yes. Good times. Lets make a tradition of it!"

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:47 am

NOTING with regret how this means a country engaging in terrorist acts can do so without them being labelled as such by the WA;

ALARMED with the definition of civilian leading to a member of a nation's armed forces or police that is currently not serving or on holiday to not be considered a civilian under the resolution;

REALISING that cyber-terrorism and terrorist blackmail are regrettably not counted as they should be under the definition of terrorism due to not involving violence;

"Nothing In GA Resolution #25 bars you from addressing those possibilities through separate proposals, does it?"

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 am

Bears Armed wrote:

NOTING with regret how this means a country engaging in terrorist acts can do so without them being labelled as such by the WA;

ALARMED with the definition of civilian leading to a member of a nation's armed forces or police that is currently not serving or on holiday to not be considered a civilian under the resolution;

REALISING that cyber-terrorism and terrorist blackmail are regrettably not counted as they should be under the definition of terrorism due to not involving violence;

"Nothing In GA Resolution #25 bars you from addressing those possibilities through separate proposals, does it?"

Artorrios o SouthWoods,

"I feel as though a resolution that aims to counter terrorism should at least have the effect intended in the title. In Kenmoria, most terrorism is done by terrorist states, something this act does nothing to address. It also leaves the World Assembly with very faulty definitions."
My pronouns are he/him.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:35 am

Bears Armed wrote:

Artorrios o SouthWoods,

"A more comprehensive approach would probably be more effective, and GAR#25 could interfere with that comprehensive approach."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:41 am

"Any more feedback? We have placed two more drafts up, which fix a few grammatical points."
My pronouns are he/him.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:46 am

Kenmoria wrote:"Any more feedback? We have placed two more drafts up, which fix a few grammatical points."

OOC: Do you have a replacement drafted? It'll be hard to repeal anything with "terrorism" in the name, given the rabid RL attitudes towards the word, without having a better replacement ready.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:24 am

Araraukar wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:"Any more feedback? We have placed two more drafts up, which fix a few grammatical points."

OOC: Do you have a replacement drafted? It'll be hard to repeal anything with "terrorism" in the name, given the rabid RL attitudes towards the word, without having a better replacement ready.

OOC: seconded.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:52 pm

Araraukar wrote:

(OOC: I'll start work on a replacement now, though I can't say when it'll be ready for forum drafting.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:27 am

"We wish to announce the placement into the drafting floor of our replacement for GA #25, WA Counterterrorism Act."
My pronouns are he/him.

Masurbia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Masurbia » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:06 pm

Kenmoria wrote:HOPING for a more complete resolution to be created by the General Assembly to address the flaws in definitions listed;

If you have a replacement draft up, this can be deleted.
I see, therefore I am not blind.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:03 pm

Masurbia wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:HOPING for a more complete resolution to be created by the General Assembly to address the flaws in definitions listed;

If you have a replacement draft up, this can be deleted.

It has been altered to reflect the current draft in progress.
My pronouns are he/him.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:21 am

"Does any delegation have any more feedback for us?"
My pronouns are he/him.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:43 am

Kenmoria wrote:REALISING that cyber-terrorism and terrorist blackmail are regrettably not counted, as they should be, under the definition of terrorism due to not involving violence;

OOC: Cyber-terrorism is largely addressed by another resolution, thogh. Also, what's "terrorist blackmail"?

Also there's a typo "thread" instead of "threat" later on in the proposal.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:48 am

Araraukar wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:REALISING that cyber-terrorism and terrorist blackmail are regrettably not counted, as they should be, under the definition of terrorism due to not involving violence;

OOC: Cyber-terrorism is largely addressed by another resolution, thogh. Also, what's "terrorist blackmail"?

Also there's a typo "thread" instead of "threat" later on in the proposal.

(OOC: Even if cyber-terrorism is being addressed by another resolution, it should still be counted as terrorism by the WA. It wouldn't have any actual effect and would be more symbolic but not counting it just feels odd. Terrorist blackmail is just a terrorist group blackmailing someone into joining their ranks or, in the case of politicians, not addressing their actions, which happens quite a lot RL, especially with the Taliban. The typo has been addressed.)
Last edited by Kenmoria on Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are he/him.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:32 pm

(OOC: Two week bump,)
My pronouns are he/him.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:18 am

(OOC: Another bump. Is the fact that there are a few commenters an indication of a good proposal, or a bad one?)
My pronouns are he/him.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:37 am

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: Another bump. Is the fact that there are a few commenters an indication of a good proposal, or a bad one?)

Usually the former more so than the latter. People can always find something to complain about. I’ll look into it more in depth later today (if I have time and remember, etc.)

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:46 am

Kenmoria wrote:REALISING that cyber-terrorism and terrorist blackmail are regrettably not counted, as they should be, under the definition of terrorism due to not involving physical violence;

OOC: This, still:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Cyber-terrorism is largely addressed by another resolution, though.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:35 am

Araraukar wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:REALISING that cyber-terrorism and terrorist blackmail are regrettably not counted, as they should be, under the definition of terrorism due to not involving physical violence;

OOC: This, still:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Cyber-terrorism is largely addressed by another resolution, though.

(OOC: This was already partly answered a few posts back; cyber-terrorism should still be counted as terrorism by the WA, even if it I said addressed by another resolution. A faulty definition means that any perpetrators of cyber-terrorism would not be counted as terrorists by the WA, fixing this would not have any actual effect but it would be symbolic. This will be clarified in the next draft.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Rafterland
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rafterland » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:00 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: This, still:

(OOC: This was already partly answered a few posts back; cyber-terrorism should still be counted as terrorism by the WA, even if it I said addressed by another resolution. A faulty definition means that any perpetrators of cyber-terrorism would not be counted as terrorists by the WA, fixing this would not have any actual effect but it would be symbolic. This will be clarified in the next draft.)

OOC : Then the more precise resolution should be replaced to fix that instead of including it in this one's replacement , right ? Your replacement resolution could consolidate the definition of terrorism and it's counters while special forms of terrorism, conceptually different from violent terrorism, could get a separate treatment without too much hassle.
Bien à vous,
From the cabinet of Rafterian Office for Foreign Affairs Director André VANDEPUTTE.

Contact the ROFA through the Rafterian Partenariat office in New-Brussels.
Opening Days :
Department of Legislative Affairs : Mon - Fri
Public Relations : Tue - Sat
ROFA Main Detachment : Mon - Thu

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:13 am

Rafterland wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: This was already partly answered a few posts back; cyber-terrorism should still be counted as terrorism by the WA, even if it I said addressed by another resolution. A faulty definition means that any perpetrators of cyber-terrorism would not be counted as terrorists by the WA, fixing this would not have any actual effect but it would be symbolic. This will be clarified in the next draft.)

OOC : Then the more precise resolution should be replaced to fix that instead of including it in this one's replacement , right ? Your replacement resolution could consolidate the definition of terrorism and it's counters while special forms of terrorism, conceptually different from violent terrorism, could get a separate treatment without too much hassle.

(OOC: Including cyberterrorism under the definition of terrorism without first repealing GA #25 would be a violation of the amendment rule as it would necessitate changing a definition in an already existing proposal. I am not intending to replace the resolution about cyberterrorism, it looks fine how it is. Although you are correct that the new proposal I have will mention and partly address cyber terrorism.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:46 am

Kenmoria wrote:Although you are correct that the new proposal I have will mention and partly address cyber terrorism.)

OOC: As long as you remember to dance around the existing one on the topic.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly