NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Protecting Minority Languages

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:24 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC: These records would be useful if descendants of a "dead" language's dead speakers wanted to revive its use again, perhaps as part of a general revival of interest in their ancestral culture or perhaps as a way of asserting their identity as a distinct group.
In RL, in recent times, we've seen this with [at least] Cornish and Wampanoag...

OOC: Having archived records of the language is one thing, but this draft proposal goes far beyond that. I wouldn't be against this if it was merely the case that some kind of record (such as written and audio records) was being preserved for cultural purposes, but the latter clauses seem intent on trying to resuscitate the dying language.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:30 am

There is a position in between spending money to promote some language and not doing anything. Classification and study of languages is probably an interesting ethnographic, anthropological, and linguistic endeavour. But the main reasons for languages being lost, at least in the areas I am familiar with in East Asia and South America, is due to a lack of utility from knowing those languages. If the local language of commerce and the street is, say, Mandarin, and everyone knows Mandarin, one simply won't learn Bumblefuckese simply because there is no need to know it.

It's the same thing with immigrants and keeping their own languages, just without movement per se. A Polish speaking family immigrating to the United States will soon lose their ability to speak Polish without explicitly sending people to school to keep it alive. The children will speak English because that is what they think in and speak with everyone else. Since they will know little Polish, or, if their parents speak Polish to them, they will really only know how to understand it but not speak it. Then, to their children, they will speak English and those children will not acquire Polish at all.

It seems that this draft would basically just throw into peoples' faces 'Learn Polish!' pamphlets and little else, doing nothing to actually keep it around. Although, one should also consider the case of Hebrew. The formation of Israel and the knowledge of Hebrew amongst many American Jews has a lot to do with religious tradition and state support. However it is, it further supports the idea that it is structure which determines whether a language lives or dies, not the act of spreading some pamphlets about.

Prohibits member nations from forcefully enacting measures which aims to deliberately eradicate a spoken native language through forced assimilation, language discrimination, or any other efforts to shatter cultural identity for the purpose of causing language death,

ELSIE MORTIMER WELLESLEY: So, would this include requiring government forms be in Latin? Most government officials only know that languages and having multiple other ones would be prohibitively expensive. And we have a compelling interest in teaching everyone the language, since if everyone spoke their own local dialect, it would be impossible for them to across to the next town over, let alone the empire. Not educating people in the language would be a grave disservice to their economic opportunities.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Stoskavanya
Envoy

Founded: Aug 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stoskavanya » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:02 am

First of all, sorry for the quote tree, I know you dislike it but somehow I got caught up with all these things on this forum.
Imperium Anglorum wrote:It's the same thing with immigrants and keeping their own languages, just without movement per se. A Polish speaking family immigrating to the United States will soon lose their ability to speak Polish without explicitly sending people to school to keep it alive. The children will speak English because that is what they think in and speak with everyone else. Since they will know little Polish, or, if their parents speak Polish to them, they will really only know how to understand it but not speak it. Then, to their children, they will speak English and those children will not acquire Polish at all.

Thats an interesting story, but that family learning Polish wouldn't result in Polish being destroyed.
Imperium Anglorum wrote:It seems that this draft would basically just throw into peoples' faces 'Learn Polish!' pamphlets and little else, doing nothing to actually keep it around. Although, one should also consider the case of Hebrew. The formation of Israel and the knowledge of Hebrew amongst many American Jews has a lot to do with religious tradition and state support. However it is, it further supports the idea that it is structure which determines whether a language lives or dies, not the act of spreading some pamphlets about.

I don't know how you think of this proposal as just sending "pamphlets." If you read my committee duties and still think thats all it does, than you should really get more creative. The whole point of the resolution is a. Making sure the structure of a state isn't facilitating language loss faster than it needs to be, and b. Providing the tools should the desire of the local populace be to keep their language.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:ELSIE MORTIMER WELLESLEY: So, would this include requiring government forms be in Latin? Most government officials only know that languages and having multiple other ones would be prohibitively expensive. And we have a compelling interest in teaching everyone the language, since if everyone spoke their own local dialect, it would be impossible for them to across to the next town over, let alone the empire. Not educating people in the language would be a grave disservice to their economic opportunities.

Ms. Wellesley, I have no idea where you got that from. The provision simply protects against active malice against a language, it doesn't force the state to pander to every language in their borders. As directly quoted from my proposal;
Notes that nothing in this resolution should be construed as to prevent persons from becoming polylingual, or prevent member nations from establishing a national language, instituting compulsory language education, or any other unreasonable interpretation,

Notes that nothing in this resolution should be construed as to combat natural language change, or to punish member nations for policies which unintentionally and passively cause language death or erosion.
Last edited by Stoskavanya on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Doltania
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby New Doltania » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:07 am

The New California Republic wrote:OOC: After some thought, I think that if a language is truly dying, then let it. Any measures to prop it up artificially is merely delaying the inevitable, piling money into something that is already in the process of dying is a pointless exercise. Languages rise, evolve, and fall. It is just part of the nature of the existence of languages that they eventually die, so let them. So on that basis I am against.

What this motion would do is stop the killing of languages through law and attempt to record languages that are dying for future reference. The idea of a language society for the WA is a strong one, I think.
Sporting Achievements: Champions of the 1st De International Football Tournament
Hosting: Co-hosted Indian Champions League with Azadeshia

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:19 am

Stoskavanya wrote:

First, my 'story' doesn't talk about Polish being eradicated from the Earth. It talks about the structural mechanisms by which languages die out. It is micro-level forces acting in tandem which lead to languages no longer being spoken. That's why I conclude with the statement 'it is structure which determines whether a language lives or dies'. And even if you say your proposal does a lot more in providing tools, that does not change that it is structure which determines whether a language lives or dies and not other forms of action.

Second, just answer my ambassador with 'No, it wouldn't do that'.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:19 am

New Doltania wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:OOC: After some thought, I think that if a language is truly dying, then let it. Any measures to prop it up artificially is merely delaying the inevitable, piling money into something that is already in the process of dying is a pointless exercise. Languages rise, evolve, and fall. It is just part of the nature of the existence of languages that they eventually die, so let them. So on that basis I am against.

What this motion would do is stop the killing of languages through law and attempt to record languages that are dying for future reference. The idea of a language society for the WA is a strong one, I think.

OOC: It also covers languages that are dying from other causes, it says that here:

Stoskavanya wrote:Acknowledging that growing globalization is hastening the loss of many living native languages,

Recognizing that loss of a native language is not only an erosion of cultural diversity but a loss for academic fields such as linguistics, history, anthropology, and other pursuits of knowledge,

OOC: So it isn't just targeting the killing of languages through law, it is intended to save languages from dying from practically any cause. The purpose of the entire thing is to prop up all dying languages, not just to prevent "killing of languages through law". If a language is dying, then let it, and just keep the records of the language in an archive for posterity.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Stoskavanya
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Stoskavanya » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:21 am

The New California Republic wrote:OOC: Having archived records of the language is one thing, but this draft proposal goes far beyond that. I wouldn't be against this if it was merely the case that some kind of record (such as written and audio records) was being preserved for cultural purposes, but the latter clauses seem intent on trying to resuscitate the dying language.

Nothing in this proposal resuscitates dead languages, hence the title "preservation" and "resurrection". Its clearly obviously that I am not punishing nations for nature language death.
Last edited by Stoskavanya on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:24 am

Stoskavanya wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:OOC: Having archived records of the language is one thing, but this draft proposal goes far beyond that. I wouldn't be against this if it was merely the case that some kind of record (such as written and audio records) was being preserved for cultural purposes, but the latter clauses seem intent on trying to resuscitate the dying language.

Nothing in this proposal resuscitates dead languages, hence the title "preservation" and "resurrection". Its clearly obviously that I am not punishing nations for nature language death.

OOC: I never said that. I said "resuscitate dying language", not "resuscitating dead language"...

Wave on, wave on

Stoskavanya
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Stoskavanya » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:26 am

OOC: So it isn't just targeting the killing of languages through law, it is intended to save languages from dying from practically any cause. The purpose of the entire thing is to prop up all dying languages, not just to prevent "killing of languages through law".

It covers killing of languages through law, and it provides tools for natives who wish to combat their language loss. I don't know how you can infer that quoting a preamble clause that acknowledges globalization.

Edit;: My mistake about the 'dying' 'dead' confusion, this thread is moving really fast.

If you mean I am seeking to preserve dying languages, than yes, thats the point.

What this proposal does NOT do:
1. Force a nation to cater to speakers of a specific language
2. 'Prop' up dying languages unreasonably
3. Force natives to retain their old language
4. Punish anyone for the death of a language
Last edited by Stoskavanya on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:36 am

Stoskavanya wrote:It covers killing of languages through law, and it provides tools for natives who wish to combat their language loss. I don't know how you can infer that quoting a preamble clause that acknowledges globalization.

OOC: But if you outlaw the "killing of languages through law", then there is no need to attempt to preserve the language, as the thing that was causing the language to die has been outlawed. So what is the purpose of the latter clauses to counter the effects of "killing of languages through law", if the "killing of languages through law" has been outlawed? It would be the equivalent of banning the destruction of monuments, and then setting up a construction program to counter the destruction of monuments (which aren't being destroyed anymore anyway)...

Wave on, wave on

Stoskavanya
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Stoskavanya » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:43 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Stoskavanya wrote:It covers killing of languages through law, and it provides tools for natives who wish to combat their language loss. I don't know how you can infer that quoting a preamble clause that acknowledges globalization.

OOC: But if you outlaw the "killing of languages through law", then there is no need to attempt to preserve the language, as the thing that was causing the language to die has been outlawed. So what is the purpose of the latter clauses to counter the effects of "killing of languages through law", if the "killing of languages through law" has been outlawed? It would be the equivalent of banning the destruction of monuments, and then setting up a construction program to counter the destruction of monuments (which aren't being destroyed anymore anyway)...

Because the language is still at risk of bring loss, so I provide a committee of tools for native speakers.

There is this false equivalency that dying languages are somehow like a dying business, that need to be cleared. Language death is not always welcome by native persons, and I think it is fair for the World Assembly to use it powers to help preserve culture when asked.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:52 am

Stoskavanya wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:OOC: But if you outlaw the "killing of languages through law", then there is no need to attempt to preserve the language, as the thing that was causing the language to die has been outlawed. So what is the purpose of the latter clauses to counter the effects of "killing of languages through law", if the "killing of languages through law" has been outlawed? It would be the equivalent of banning the destruction of monuments, and then setting up a construction program to counter the destruction of monuments (which aren't being destroyed anymore anyway)...

Because the language is still at risk of bring loss, so I provide a committee of tools for native speakers.

OOC: At risk from what? What other causes of language loss are you trying to counter?

Stoskavanya wrote:There is this false equivalency that dying languages are somehow like a dying business, that need to be cleared. Language death is not always welcome by native persons, and I think it is fair for the World Assembly to use it powers to help preserve culture when asked.

OOC: Nope, I myself am not comparing it to a business, I am seeing language as what it is: something that is born, changes and evolves, and eventually dies. Postponing that inevitable death just seems a bit arbitrary, as if a language is truly dying, then there are probably very few people left with experience in the language to care about it anyway...

Wave on, wave on

Stoskavanya
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Stoskavanya » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:02 am

The New California Republic wrote:OOC: Nope, I myself am not comparing it to a business, I am seeing language as what it is: something that is born, changes and evolves, and eventually dies. Postponing that inevitable death just seems a bit arbitrary, as if a language is truly dying, then there are probably very few people left with experience in the language to care about it anyway...

And I think this is a typical appeal to nature fallacy. Just because in your opinion language death is something natural, doesn't mean the effects of language loss are necessary or desirable.

Though I question this whole "this is what languages do" line of argument. This isn't old languages changing and new languages being created as in ancient times, this is massive unnatural die-off on the diversity of languages in the present day. If you cannot see any value to preserving this part of the human sapient condition, than let it be.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:10 am

Stoskavanya wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:OOC: Nope, I myself am not comparing it to a business, I am seeing language as what it is: something that is born, changes and evolves, and eventually dies. Postponing that inevitable death just seems a bit arbitrary, as if a language is truly dying, then there are probably very few people left with experience in the language to care about it anyway...

And I think this is a typical appeal to nature fallacy. Just because in your opinion language death is something natural, doesn't mean the effects of language loss are necessary or desirable.

OOC: Nope, I am not appealing to nature at all, so that is complete nonsense. I am simply describing how languages exist. There is a lot of evidence showing the birth of languages, the changes and evolution of languages, and the death of languages. So no, I am not appealing to nature, I am appealing to empirical evidence.

Wave on, wave on

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:42 am

Stoskavanya wrote:this is massive unnatural die-off on the diversity of languages in the present day.

OOC: I think it's fairly natural for a language to die off when the last people who speak it, die. If you're talking about something else, you're clearly not spelling it out properly. Which is ironic, considering we're talking about language death in English, which is one of the biggest reasons for many other languages growing poorer and less commonly used... (EDIT: And even more ironically I'm currently struggling to find the right words to use in English, because if I used my more fluent Finnish, none of you would understand it...)
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Stoskavanya
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Stoskavanya » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:04 pm

Slightly updated the draft; I may of lost track of the larger debate in my replies earlier, and misunderstood some of your arguments, and I apologize. Just wanted to remind everyone that the goal of this draft is

1. Not to force a people to retain a dying language; the society in this regard is simply meant to provide tool for native persons who wish to revitalize their language. If a group of native persons have no desire to reclaim their language, and the state is not being malignant towards their certain language, than except for that language's classification, nothing in this resolution is affecting it.

2. To protect against active malice against language by law. The state, however, is not punished for having and teaching its national language, nor does it have to cater to the special needs of a native language beyond what is reasonable and required by existing resolutions.

If anyone has an criticism of the proposal with those two premises in mind please offer them.

Araraukar wrote:OOC: I think it's fairly natural for a language to die off when the last people who speak it, die. If you're talking about something else, you're clearly not spelling it out properly.)

The point that I am trying to make is that, as opposed to most of history, where the number of existing languages were generally the same, the present day has brought about the loss of diversity on an unprecedented scale. Perhaps "natural" wasn't the right choice of word.
Last edited by Stoskavanya on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Baizou
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 02, 2018
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Baizou » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:43 am

Stoskavanya wrote:Slightly updated the draft; I may of lost track in my replies earlier, just want to remind everyone that the goal of this draft is

1. Not to force a people to retain a dying language; the society in this regard is simply meant to provide tool for native persons who wish to revitalize their language. If a group of native persons have no desire to reclaim their language, and the state is not being malignant towards their certain language, than except for that language's classification, nothing in this resolution is affecting it.

2. To protect active malice against language by law. The state, however, is not punished for having and teaching its national religion, nor does it have to cater to the special needs of a native language beyond what is reasonable and required by existing resolutions.

"As the Baizoan representative, I believe these goals to be reasonably evident within the text of the proposal," Mizushima says with an approving nod. "This subject is, in fact, rather close to Baizou due to the historical native languages of its island that could benefit. There do exist parties interested in preserving these languages, and program's resources would be much appreciated, in addition to its mandate preventing other factions from intentionally destroying the languages. That this proposal also has the good sense to be flexible to the realities of shifting and evolving languages is a bonus, and I can see no reason at this time to not cast Baizou's vote in favor."

The VCR whirs, and CARRIE intones, "Ah, languages. Someday we'll all just be speaking binary."

"Hm, maybe I left your humor setting on too high..."
Premise: MT, VHSpunk, Japanese heritage, always 2004. | Factbook | Parties | Main Cast | Q&A | News
Stories From Baizou
"A Revolutionary Compromise," starring Meikawa Tomoko. | More to come?
Premier Fukushima
Ambassador Mizushima
Sovereign Haruto
Princess Consort Yuu
Rep. Meikawa
Councilor Akitamoto
CARRIE
Retired Sovereign Airi
Rep. Yutani
Flag features Ambassador Mizushima. OOC, user's pronouns are she/her.
It's 2004. MTish nation with videocassettepunk tech, Japanese heritage, minority of magic occult practitioners, casuistic Catholic plurality, sovereign deriving authority by Anglican coronation, and policymaking so byzantine parties wonder if it'd be easier to pursue agendas via international law.

New Doltania
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby New Doltania » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:21 pm

"As ambassador to the WA for New Doltania, I believe this should be submitted."
Sporting Achievements: Champions of the 1st De International Football Tournament
Hosting: Co-hosted Indian Champions League with Azadeshia

Stoskavanya
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Stoskavanya » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:37 am

I have thought a lot about IA and NCR's well-founded concerns about the effectiveness of the Society's programs; I am reluctant to expand the duties of the society because of the above mentioned risk of little results if the language is without a support structure in society. Ultimately I've decided there is realistically little the educational part of the proposal can do if the state is not cooperative with revitalization efforts, which i'm going to have to accept. The Society's educational component will have coincide with native or governmental efforts.

With that in mind i've added to section ii.) that the Society should work with member state's governments. I have also changed a. and b. in section i.) to clarify that the goal is reach out to interested individuals in the community with instructional material to foster active speakership, not just handing out to random persons. The creation and promotion of education programs will also be aimed for students. I have added the collection and promotion of written works in the language to the Society's support role, to facilitate higher comprehension and interest.

Baizou wrote:"As the Baizoan representative, ...

Thank you for your support, I am indeed trying to be realistic with this proposal while simultaneously stressing revitalization.
New Doltania wrote:"As ambassador to the WA for New Doltania, I believe this should be submitted."

Thank you ambassador, but I am in no rush to submit this proposal!
Last edited by Stoskavanya on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arotania
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Arotania » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:53 am

How would this proposal relate to sign languages that are the native languages of many persons? Currently the proposal seems to mention spoken languages only.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:55 am

Arotania wrote:How would this proposal relate to sign languages that are the native languages of many persons? Currently the proposal seems to mention spoken languages only.

OOC: Well the draft does briefly mention written languages, but only very briefly in passing. But you are right, there is no reference to languages based around sign.

Wave on, wave on

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:00 am

Why is this restricted to only “native” languages?
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Stoskavanya
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Stoskavanya » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:56 am

Arotania wrote:How would this proposal relate to sign languages that are the native languages of many persons? Currently the proposal seems to mention spoken languages only.

Thats a good point; i'll remove the qualifier 'spoken' so that the proposal covers all native languages.

Grays Harbor wrote:Why is this restricted to only “native” languages?

Native language refers to a person's or their community's first language.

Edit: I changed "World Assembly Language Revitalization Society" to World Assembly Language Society" so that its name is less restrictive to later authors who wish to have a committee related to language.
Last edited by Stoskavanya on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:26 pm

"Instead of language death, use linguicide.”
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:29 pm

I think it should be a League, not a Society.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives