NATION

PASSWORD

Increased Sanctions Against Authoritarian Governments

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The Q Imperium et Populi
Civilian

Founded: Jan 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Increased Sanctions Against Authoritarian Governments

Postby The Q Imperium et Populi » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:51 am

NOTINGthe rise in the number of authoritarian governments.
ALARMED BYthe lack of sanctions against authoritarian governments.

DESIGNATESauthoritarian governments as threats to global security.
DECLARESnations under authoritarian governments should pay 15% of their GDP in sanctions.
ENDORSESthe sanctions implied here to be given to international charities.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:05 am

The Q Imperium et Populi wrote:NOTINGthe rise in the number of authoritarian governments.

"You are lacking a space after 'noting' and I am not aware of any rise in authoritarian governments."

"You are also lacking a space after 'by'. This is also not very alarming, as you have not yet said why this is a bad thing."

"'Designates' also needs a subsequent space. This clause has no justification as nowhere have you said why this is bad."
DECLARESnations under authoritarian governments should pay 15% of their GDP in sanctions.

"Same spacing issue and there should be a line break before this clause. In addition, this will never pass because every single authoritarian government will vote against, and they are a sizeable portion of the World Assembly."

"Spacing issue and the aforementioned line break issue are still at play here. I am also very confused about the inclusion of the word 'implies' in this sentence."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:20 am

Sounds like an ideological ban type thing, overall.

Pretty sure this is illegal as well, no taxing of nations by the WA.
"But it's a SANCTION, not a Tax!"
Same thing. It could also be argued, probably, as violating Game Mechanics, as the WA cannot Tax/Sanction game stats.

EDIT:
No category or strength, either.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:05 am

The Q Imperium et Populi wrote:NOTINGthe rise in the number of authoritarian governments.

OOC: The General Assembly cannot impose sanctions. The closest thing you can get is condemnations in the Security Council, and even those have to be carefully targeted against a specific nation or region, general dragnet sanctions are not the order of the day anywhere in the World Assembly...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Oresland
Envoy

Founded: Jul 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Oresland » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:43 am

"What do you even mean by authoritarian governments? Nations were there are dictatorships or nations that simply have an authoritarian leader? You would need to be more specific. Either way, I feel like I'm wasting my time here." Richards throws the draft in the nearby trash can.
Supreme Leader - Joseph Andropov
Prime Minister - Madelyn Lancer
WA Ambassador - Michael Richards
Ask our leaders questions here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=422727
I don't use NS stats
  • Conservative: 124
  • Liberal: 25
  • Independent (caucases as a liberal): 1

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:10 am

Isn’t this basically an ideological ban? Opposed on basis of legality.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:19 am

OOC post

Grays Harbor wrote:

Pretty sure this is illegal as well, no taxing of nations by the WA.
"But it's a SANCTION, not a Tax!"
Same thing. It could also be argued, probably, as violating Game Mechanics, as the WA cannot Tax/Sanction game stats.

The resolution-set ban is on the WA interfering in member nationss' domestic taxation, not on its "taxing" the nations themselves: Consequently this wouldn't be illegal for Contradiction on that basis, but I agree that setting such a specific level of financial 'sanctions' would be illegal for trying to affect Game Mechanics.

Xmara wrote:Isn’t this basically an ideological ban? Opposed on basis of legality.

No. It isn't banning them, just fining them... although that's still illegal because proposals can't be so selectively applicable.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:26 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC post

No. It isn't banning them, just fining them... although that's still illegal because proposals can't be so selectively applicable.

OOC: First of all, I agree with that, but...

...singling out democratic nations is ok even in the game's opinion because of the Furtherment of Democracy category, so would fining them be ok? :P
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:18 am

Teran Saber: "I just want to ask something here. Nothing too important, just a bit of relevant banter."

"Ambassador of the Q Imperium... are you sure you know what the word 'Imperium' means? It's a Latin word meaning 'power to command'. That comes off to me as kinda... authoritarian, don't you think?"

*Ambassador Saber picks at the claws of his right hand*

"Here's why that's relevant. You have no definition of what legally constitutes an authoritarian government in your proposal, and there's essentially an entire spectrum of authoritarianism vs libertarianism. Will you be setting a specific threshold, or would this be essentially based on accusations? If the latter is true, then I could accuse your nation of being authoritarian on the grounds that its name implies an authoritarian regime."

"Of course, this is just one of MANY issues with this proposal. I suggest you reconsider this proposal entirely."
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly