NATION

PASSWORD

The Released Inmate Re-Integration and Dignity Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
United Federation of Researchers
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

The Released Inmate Re-Integration and Dignity Act

Postby United Federation of Researchers » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:31 am

I feel that the current resolution at vote does not go far enough. Released inmates have an extremely difficult time reintegrating into society, and it is something that needs to change. You see, we are not defined by our past, but what we make of our future, If one cannot forgive another for the crimes they have committed, who are we? These people have paid the price for their crime, often losing friends and family in the process, these people should not be ridiculed and harmed by vigilante citizens under the claim they are protecting others. AND WE, WE HAVE THE POWER TO CHANGE THIS. You see, they are not just nameless faces, they are PEOPLE, and they are just like you and me. We all make mistakes, and we all pay for them. Why should society hold a grudge against these people and not the rest of us? Please Help me in drafting a WAGA resolution to provide dignity and respect to those who have paid for their crimes. We need to give these people more than equal voting rights, we need to give them a CHANCE. This is our duty as lawmakers, to make out decisions in the best interest of ALL OF OUR PEOPLE.

THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY:
Seeing that the lives of all people should be valued equally, and should be free from discrimination on all levels.
Noting that Released Inmates are often faced with vigilante violence and hatred, and can rarely ever get a chance to reintegrate.
Valuing the lives of all people, no matter who they are, or what the past is like

BELEIVING THAT released inmates are PEOPLE, and that these people should be given equal opportunity to reintegrate into society, and be given the dignity and respect that we all are entitled to as human beings.
CONCERNED FOR both those innocently convicted, and those who are convicted of heinous crimes, that they may face public ridicule too much worse extents then other released inmates.
ASKING THAT the media not advertise the release of prisoners, or the location in which they live, so as to preserve their dignity, and prevent violence against them.
PROHIBITS the unadulterated violence and glorification of said violence in all forms, and the publication of released inmates dwelling and life, as no one's life should be for everyone to see.
CONDEMNS those who find it suitable to show violence to these people, no matter who they are, or what they have done in the past.
Governor Alexander W. Farson,
Head of State in the United Federation,
Part of The Galactic Order,
WA Member.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:45 am

OOC: Category and strength/AoE?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Austins Colony
Secretary

Founded: Oct 24, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Austins Colony » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:47 am

it wont pass muster in this form right now plus wait until the current resolution is passed before writing a repeal.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:50 am

Austins Colony wrote:it wont pass muster in this form right now plus wait until the current resolution is passed before writing a repeal.

OOC: It isn't a repeal.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Das Schmutzige Huhn
Envoy

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Das Schmutzige Huhn » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:53 am

Araraukar wrote:
Austins Colony wrote:it wont pass muster in this form right now plus wait until the current resolution is passed before writing a repeal.

OOC: It isn't a repeal.

your gonna have to write a repeal first then write the edited version besides like I said this current resolution still has three days left of voting so wait until voting is done then initiate the repeal process.
Hermes: Like my granny used to say back in her tar paper shack on Montego Bay, "If you want a box thrown into the sun, you got to do it yourself."

Professor: “YOUR GRANNY CAN GO TO HELL!"

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:22 am

PROHIBITS the unadulterated violence and glorification of said violence in all forms

Congrats. You have just banned anything and everything; video games, TV, Movies, Books, the Military, ...
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

United Federation of Researchers
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Researchers » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:41 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
PROHIBITS the unadulterated violence and glorification of said violence in all forms

Congrats. You have just banned anything and everything; video games, TV, Movies, Books, the Military, ...

If you want to offer constructive criticism as to how to revise this, be my guest, but please, let's not be rude.
Governor Alexander W. Farson,
Head of State in the United Federation,
Part of The Galactic Order,
WA Member.

Stoskavanya
Envoy

Founded: Aug 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stoskavanya » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:21 pm

United Federation of Researchers wrote:If you want to offer constructive criticism as to how to revise this, be my guest, but please, let's not be rude.

Don't include such a broad fiat unrelated to the scope of the proposal.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:15 pm

United Federation of Researchers wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:Congrats. You have just banned anything and everything; video games, TV, Movies, Books, the Military, ...

If you want to offer constructive criticism as to how to revise this, be my guest, but please, let's not be rude.

OOC: That's not anywhere close to rude. That's perhaps the most polite response you're liable to get.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:54 pm

United Federation of Researchers wrote:PROHIBITS the... glorification of said violence in all forms...

OOC: Illegal - contradiction of GA Resolution #30.

Additionally, as has been pointed out, your blanket prohibition on violence itself is not written to be focused solely on former inmates, so you're prohibiting all forms of military action (among other things). That contradicts several resolutions, as well as being totally unworkable.

If you want this to go anywhere, you'll need to rewrite it to a large degree. Don't expect to submit it anytime soon, and remember that it's not a race.

Good luck!
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:30 pm

Das Schmutzige Huhn wrote:your gonna have to write a repeal first

OOC: Actually, it's entirely possible (and often preferable, for the repeal to have a better chance) to write a replacement for something that has or hasn't passed yet, you just shouldn't submit it.

That's not to say that this particular proposal would be a good idea or even legal. Just that it's not forbidden to write it, even if it required the repeal of something else first.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:58 am

United Federation of Researchers wrote:Seeing that the lives of all people should be valued equally, and should be free from discrimination on all levels.

"Good opening clause, but where is the category, strength, or area of affect? These things are required so the ambassadors can advise you on them."
Noting that Released Inmates are often faced with vigilante violence and hatred, and can rarely ever get a chance to reintegrate.

"There are erroneous capital letters on 'released' and 'inmates'."
Valuing the lives of all people, no matter who they are, or what the past is like

"Provided that the previous two clauses had full stops on the end, I think this one should have one as well."

BELEIVING THAT released inmates are PEOPLE, and that these people should be given equal opportunity to reintegrate into society, and be given the dignity and respect that we all are entitled to as human beings.

"'People' does not require all capital letters, it just looks unprofessional in a legal document. Also, not all of us are human beings, so it is seen as discriminatory by many nations to pronounce them as such. Use 'sapient beings' instead."
CONCERNED FOR both those innocently convicted, and those who are convicted of heinous crimes, that they may face public ridicule too much worse extents then other released inmates.

"Look careful at, and read aloud, this sentence again. It doesn't quite make sense."
ASKING THAT the media not advertise the release of prisoners, or the location in which they live, so as to preserve their dignity, and prevent violence against them.

"Considering this is non-mandatory is probably doesn't contradict any free speech resolutions and thus we have no issues here."
PROHIBITS the unadulterated violence and glorification of said violence in all forms, and the publication of released inmates dwelling and life, as no one's life should be for everyone to see.

"This clause has the biggest error in the whole draft. It outlaws books, video-games, the military and anything showing military action in a postive light. I would strongly recommend severely rewording this clause."
CONDEMNS those who find it suitable to show violence to these people, no matter who they are, or what they have done in the past.

"Replace 'these people' with 'released inmates', it makes everything more specific."
Last edited by Kenmoria on Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly