NATION

PASSWORD

is Compulsory Military Service Ban illegal?

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The dark Panther
Envoy

Founded: Sep 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

is Compulsory Military Service Ban illegal?

Postby The dark Panther » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:43 pm

i read the rules and can't tell is Compulsory Military Service Ban illegal? wouldn't it interfere with national sovereignty

Edit: it's illegal because of 132 i think
Last edited by The dark Panther on Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
New nation is Rusthenia

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:07 pm

The Dark Panther wrote:i read the rules and can't tell is Compulsory Military Service Ban illegal? wouldn't it interfere with national sovereignty

OOC: Welcome to the World Assembly! The dirty open secret is that literally every resolution interferes with national sovereignty. The question voters must ask is, is that interference justified by its effects on either the world economy or the rights and/or livelihood of sapient beings? I didn't see anything wrong with the proposal in question, at least as far as the proposal rules go. Whether or not it's a good idea is a separate question, one for the voters to decide.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:51 am

It looks legal to me.
There's an earlier resolution about conscientious objection, but that specifically leaves open the possibility of further legislation to ban [or even to require!] compulsory military service.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

The dark Panther
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The dark Panther » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:55 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
The Dark Panther wrote:i read the rules and can't tell is Compulsory Military Service Ban illegal? wouldn't it interfere with national sovereignty

OOC: Welcome to the World Assembly! The dirty open secret is that literally every resolution interferes with national sovereignty. The question voters must ask is, is that interference justified by its effects on either the world economy or the rights and/or livelihood of sapient beings? I didn't see anything wrong with the proposal in question, at least as far as the proposal rules go. Whether or not it's a good idea is a separate question, one for the voters to decide.

OOC: it's illegal because of Resolution #132 Military Freedom Act "5) This resolution shall not be construed to prohibit nor require the establishment of compulsory military service."
Last edited by The dark Panther on Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
New nation is Rusthenia

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:08 am

The Dark Panther wrote:OOC: it's illegal because of Resolution #132 Military Freedom Act "5) This resolution shall not be construed to prohibit nor require the establishment of compulsory military service."

OOC: No, that refers to only that resolution, saying that it doesn't say yea or nay on compulsory military service.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Slavonia and Srijem
Attaché

Founded: Nov 02, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Slavonia and Srijem » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:28 pm

It's totally legal.

The dark Panther
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The dark Panther » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:47 am

Slavonia and Srijem wrote:It's totally legal.

it's illegal now :rofl:
New nation is Rusthenia

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:46 am

The Dark Panther wrote:
Slavonia and Srijem wrote:It's totally legal.

it's illegal now :rofl:

OOC: How?
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The dark Panther
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The dark Panther » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:48 am

Araraukar wrote:
The Dark Panther wrote:it's illegal now :rofl:

OOC: How?

check proposes in illegal it in there :clap:
New nation is Rusthenia

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:49 am

The Dark Panther wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: How?

check proposes in illegal it in there :clap:

OOC: And same in understandable English, please?

The dark Panther
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The dark Panther » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:50 am

OCC: go in illegal and look at the first one
New nation is Rusthenia

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:52 am

The Dark Panther wrote:OCC: go in illegal and look at the first one

OOC: Go where exactly?

The dark Panther
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The dark Panther » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:45 pm

in the world assembly...
New nation is Rusthenia

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:37 pm

The Dark Panther wrote:in the world assembly...

OOC: Link, please?

The dark Panther
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The dark Panther » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:40 pm

Araraukar wrote:
The Dark Panther wrote:in the world assembly...

OOC: Link, please?

if you're not trolling
New nation is Rusthenia

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:42 pm

The Dark Panther wrote:if you're not trolling

OOC: How exactly is asking you to provide a link to something "trolling"? Also, was this thread supposed to be a challenge thread? Because those need to be marked as such. If it was meant as general question, that's what the Q&A thread is for.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:46 pm

Link to proposal: https://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_vi ... 1514589751

That particular interpretation of Article III, Clause 2a would require us to totally ignore Art. III, Clause 5. I think this proposal is illegal for a category violation (protecting the rights of citizens not to be put in an alleged moral cesspool is not the same thing as slashing military budgets), but there is no contradiction there. I must disagree with my colleagues to the extent that they believe there's a contradiction.
Last edited by Sierra Lyricalia on Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:38 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:Link to proposal: https://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_vi ... 1514589751

That particular interpretation of Article III, Clause 2a would require us to totally ignore Art. III, Clause 5.
I changed my ruling to 'illegal', on that basis, having been informed by CD that that was specifically why they had called it illegal. Admittedly I didn't have much time available that evening to consider the matter in detail. Thinking further now, on the matter of that clause's interaction with III/5... Yes, I might have been wrong that second time.
:blush:

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:I think this proposal is illegal for a category violation (protecting the rights of citizens not to be put in an alleged moral cesspool is not the same thing as slashing military budgets),

I think that this is one of the relatively rare cases where I'd consider either of two categories acceptable.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:05 am

OOC: As the proposal has now lapsed and it wasn't posted here, I'll take SL's word on it (mostly because I'm not sure what Bears is trying to say :P).

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:35 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: As the proposal has now lapsed and it wasn't posted here, I'll take SL's word on it (mostly because I'm not sure what Bears is trying to say :P).

OOC: "I dun goofed".
(i.e. on third thoughts, if the proposal hadn't already lapsed, I'd probably go back to calling it legal.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly