NATION

PASSWORD

(DRAFT) Provisions to Provide for Developing Economies

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Corlansa
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

(DRAFT) Provisions to Provide for Developing Economies

Postby Corlansa » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Purpose; To 1.) provide economic aid to distressed areas in developing nations;
to 2.) Allocate funding to Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO) to provide aforementioned aid; to 3.) address any further problems discovered upon inspection and report them to the appropriate governmental agency or organization; and to 4.) advise developing nations on positive courses of action to further their development.
Section I.
Ii. Encourage developing nations to create a Public Works Program (PWP)
Iii. The PWP would provide construction and/or manufacturing jobs to those who are qualified and in need of work.
Iiii. The PWP would, traditionally, be tasked with rebuilding the major urban and suburban centers of its respective nation, as well as rebuilding and improving upon the infrastructure pre-existing.
Section II.
IIi. Encourage the creation of a Public Housing Program (PHP).
IIii. The PHP would enlist construction workers currently unemployed, or otherwise, to construct low-cost housing for low income families in economically depressed areas
Section III.
*IIIi. This provision suggests limiting the use of more than 260 autonomous units, that take the place of workers, in any given factory.
§i. *Note that this is only a recommendation and should be examined on a case-by-case basis.
IIIii. Prohibit the expulsion of an employee after voicing an interest in forming or joining a Union, or other collective bargaining organization.
§ii. A collective bargaining organization, or union is defined as; a group/organization/body with a sufficient community of interest that a union, or conjoinment, can reasonably represent the employees - particularly the negotiation of the employees' terms and conditions of employment, with an employer or otherwise.
IIIiii. Prohibit the creation of Monopolies, which are defined as; The exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service.
IIIiv. Prohibit the forming of Trusts, which are defined as; A combination of firms or corporations for the purpose of reducing competition and controlling prices throughout a business or industry.

Any further ideas, or advice would be greatly appreciated.
United States of Corlansa

to 2.) create a committee to provide aforementioned aid, and decide upon which nations will qualify; to 3.) address any further problems discovered upon inspection and report them to the appropriate governmental agency or organization; and to 4.) advise developing nations on positive courses of action to further their development.

Section I.
Ii. Encourage developing nations to create an environment in which their economies would prosper- but not take advantage of their citizens.
Iii. The appropriate environment would provide work for the unemployed citizens of the nation, and possibly encourage some the create their own businesses.
Iiii. This environment would, typically, be made with lower tax rates on smaller businesses, and a fair minimum wage so workers reinsert their money back into the nation's economy..

Section II.
IIi. Encourage a Public Housing Program.
IIii. A Public Housing Program would enlist construction workers currently unemployed, or otherwise, to construct low-cost housing for low income families in economically depressed areas.

Section III.
*IIIi. This provision suggests limiting the use of more than 260 autonomous units, that take the place of workers, in any given factory.
§i. *Note that this is only a recommendation and should be examined on a case-by-case basis.
IIIii. Prohibit the creation of Monopolies, which are defined as; The exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service.
IIIiii. Prohibit the forming of Trusts, which are defined as; A combination of firms or corporations for the purpose of reducing competition and controlling prices throughout a business or industry.

Even better:
Provisions to Provide for Developing Economies
General Assembly Draft Resolution
Sponsors: Corlansa
Signatories:

Bearing in mind there are a multitude of economically distressed nations in the world at any given time,

Taking into account that WAR43 addresses the legality of collective bargaining organizations,

Emphasizing that nations currently in a economical development stage have a significantly lower standard of living- comparatively to further developed economies,

Stressing the fact that nations face significant financial, and humanitarian, obstacles under the severe limitations of a developing economy,

Deeply conscious of the fact that government officials in aforementioned countries may exploit this position for their own gain,

Understanding that one broad policy may very well harm a developing economy,

1. Encourages all relevant agencies to collaborate more closely with countries at the grassroot level to promote economic growth and understanding;

2. Urges member states to comply with WA goals pertaining to humanitarian affairs in order to streamline humanitarian aid;

3. Requests that all member nations develop programs to better enhance the growth of their respective economy;

4. Calls for the development of a WA trust fund that encourages voluntary donations from the private transitional sector to aid in funding the implementation of aforementioned programs;

5. Stresses the continuing need for impartial and objective information on political, economic and social situations and events of all countries;

6. Encourages that member states respond quickly and generously to consolidated appeals for humanitarian aid; and

7. Requests the expansion of preventative actions and assurance of post-conflict assistance through reconstruction and development.
Last edited by Corlansa on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:02 am, edited 9 times in total.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:01 pm

Labour Relations are already covered. Including Unions.

Also, what Category & Strength? We really hate playing guessing games here in the GA.

Also also, this is all over the place. You are trying to cover too many areas, none of them adequately. Narrow your focus. This, as it stands, is a hodge-podge. And don't underline stuff. We can read without prompting.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Corlansa
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Corlansa » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:10 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:Labour Relations are already covered. Including Unions.

Also, what Category & Strength? We really hate playing guessing games here in the GA.

Also also, this is all over the place. You are trying to cover too many areas, none of them adequately. Narrow your focus. This, as it stands, is a hodge-podge. And don't underline stuff. We can read without prompting.

It would probably fit best under Social Justice, and the Strength would be Significant. Also I will narrow down the focus, and remove the Section pertaining to Unions.

Milwalkiee
Spokesperson

Founded: May 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Milwalkiee » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:28 pm

First off, Welcome to the festering snake pit we call The World Assembly!!! It's great to have you.
Secondly, we recommend not submitting this until it has had ample time for delegates to rip it to shreds give you constructive criticism.
Thirdly, here is some help.

Corlansa wrote:Purpose; To 1.) provide economic aid to distressed areas in developing nations;
to 2.) Allocate funding to Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO) to provide aforementioned aid; to 3.) address any further problems discovered upon inspection and report them to the appropriate governmental agency or organization; and to 4.) advise developing nations on positive courses of action to further their development.

OOC: This is determined by the proposal type and programming, you don't get to write this

Section I.
Iii. The PWP would provide construction and/or manufacturing jobs to those who are qualified and in need of work.
Iiii. The PWP would, traditionally, be tasked with rebuilding the major urban and suburban centers of its respective nation, as well as rebuilding and improving upon the infrastructure pre-existing.

OOC: You cannot just create a organization. It'll make the proposal illegal.

Section II.
IIii. The PHP would enlist construction workers currently unemployed, or otherwise, to construct low-cost housing for low income families in economically depressed areas.

OOC: See above.

Section III.
IIIii. Prohibit the expulsion of an employee after voicing an interest in forming or joining a Union, or other collective bargaining organization.
§ii. A collective bargaining organization, or union is defined as; a group/organization/body with a sufficient community of interest that a union, or conjoinment, can reasonably represent the employees - particularly the negotiation of the employees' terms and conditions of employment, with an employer or otherwise.
IIIiii. Prohibit the creation of Monopolies, which are defined as; The exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service.
IIIiv. Prohibit the forming of Trusts, which are defined as; A combination of firms or corporations for the purpose of reducing competition and controlling prices throughout a business or industry.

OOC: Huh? I didn't understand that. If it's saying what I think it's saying, I think the WA has existing legislation. If you can clarify, I can try and find it (although a more experienced member may find it faster)

Any further ideas, or advice would be greatly appreciated.
United States of Corlansa

OOC: Done, my advice is not very good, but a start. This proposal will need work.

It would probably fit best under Social Justice, and the Strength would be Significant. Also I will narrow down the focus, and remove the Section pertaining to Unions.

Not significant. The language is too loose.

This.

And please remove the strikethrough and underlining. Use a spoiler to show your drafts, or mark them at the top instead of directly doing that. If you need help formatting, I'm available and I'm sure there are plenty of others who could help.
"Peace. Diplomacy. Leadership."

Cheers!
Milwalkiee

Mallorea and Riva wrote:I will be fascinated to watch this unfold, since I can conceive of no way in which a commendation of me could possibly pass. I have worked tirelessly since January 16, 2012 to ensure that a commendation badge would never grace my nation. Good luck :p

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:If anything, marriage is an insult to dating, by implying that a piece of paper is the only thing holding breakups back.

Trumptonium wrote:This forum never ceases to amaze me.

Corlansa
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Corlansa » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:56 pm

First off, Welcome to the festering snake pit we call The World Assembly!!! It's great to have you.
Secondly, we recommend not submitting this until it has had ample time for delegates to rip it to shreds give you constructive criticism.
Thirdly, here is some help.

Thank you, I've added some new things, and taken out some others- I added a spoiler with the newer version.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:58 am

OOC: I am an economist.

Section I.
Section II.
IIii. The PHP would enlist construction workers currently unemployed, or otherwise, to construct low-cost housing for low income families in economically depressed areas
Section III.

ELSIE MORTIMER WELLESLEY: It seems to me that you want to implement a few programmes: (1) a public works programme, (2) a public housing programme, (3) reduction in automation, (4) unionisation, (5) anti-monopolisation regulations. These are all bad ideas, when applied generally, irrespective of a developing country's individual context.

In corrupt countries, public works and housing programmes can serve as means of transferring enormous sums into the hands of corrupt politicians with little benefits to people on the ground. Furthermore, rebuilding and improving on infrastructure is not always necessary. In the case of the PRC circa 1980, it was much more a problem of lacking infrastructure than having bad infrastructure. Similarly, the provision of jobs does not mean growth. Generally, we measure the wealth of a society by how much it produces. Transferring resources from productive areas of the economy to digging and filling holes does not lead to greater output. Nor does building things which nobody or few will use.

Housing programmes are somewhat different. It seems your programme design here would simply have the state build tons of them. However, that doesn't escape the corruption problem where large public sums are wasted to provide little social benefit. Similarly, building housing programmes and creating jobs in the urban section exacerbates a problem development economists call 'urban gigantism': massive urban areas with few public services and high unemployment. These are not problems you can solve by simply creating more jobs or raising wages. It is the act of increasing expected wages which leads to people moving from the countryside into these massive slums. Providing public services is next to impossible and forcibly rehousing these people will disrupt the informal economies they have already established, likely making them poorer than they were before. This is not something that government can solve but for reducing the incentives for people to move into these slums from the countryside. (OOC: Some early work on the topic, Harris and Todaro, Migration, Unemployment and Development: A Two-Sector Analysis (1970).)

Reducing automation does not increase wages in the aggregate. An abstract conception of a profit maximising non-monopsony firm would lead to the conclusion that increases in the marginal product of labour, mostly driven by increased capital and exogenous productivity, drive wage growth. This is still the case in developed countries, though increased labour market monopsonisation has driven a de-linking against this trend. From a micro-level, it is somewhat self-evident that labour-conserving technologies with the redeployment of those labour resources, increases output. Requiring fewer hours doing menial tasks means that people have more time to do other productive things. (OOC: A more full exploration of this topic, which first comes to mind, is a chapter of The Myth of the Rational Voter by Bryan Kaplan, 2007.)

Unionisation leads to the same problems with urban gigantism. Higher institutional wages leads to higher unemployment and a lack of public service penetration in urban slum areas that form due to the pull factor of those higher institutional wages. Unionisation can achieve significant increases in wages and quality of life for workers. Just they can only do so in relatively labour constrained markets. Otherwise, unions are of no threat to firms, since in most developing countries, for each worker, there are thousands of applicants. When your only real tool is the strike and firms can simply replace all the strikers, any union will be by nature, ineffective.

Anti-monopolisation regulations are an interesting topic. There are arguments for both sides. However, one should consider that monopolies can be efficient when regulated and can also provide large enough credit-worthiness to attract foreign capital, something which is not so easily attained by small firms. Large firms are more able to borrow from international credit markets, and can more effectively drive the increases in per capita capital stock that are a precondition to sustained economic growth. (OOC: A number of examples here are the large corporations in Japan and South Korea that were vital to the speed and rapidity of their post-war recoveries and development.)
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:14 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:OOC: I am an economist.

OOC: Really? I never would have guessed. :P
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:48 am

States of Glory WA Office wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:OOC: I am an economist.

OOC: Really? I never would have guessed. :P

OOC: I think that was meant for the new guy. :P
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:19 am

Corlansa wrote:
Provisions to Provide for Developing Economies
General Assembly Draft Resolution
Sponsors: Corlansa
Signatories: Grays Harbor, Imperium Anglorum, Milwalkiee

Bearing in mind there are a multitude of economically distressed nations in the world at any given time,

Taking into account that WAR43 addresses the legality of collective bargaining organizations,

Emphasizing that nations currently in a economical development stage have a significantly lower standard of living- comparatively to further developed economies,

Stressing the fact that nations face significant financial, and humanitarian, obstacles under the severe limitations of a developing economy,

Deeply conscious of the fact that government officials in aforementioned countries may exploit this position for their own gain,

Understanding that one broad policy may very well harm a developing economy,

1. Encourages all relevant agencies to collaborate more closely with countries at the grassroot level to promote economic growth and understanding;

2. Urges member states to comply with WA goals pertaining to humanitarian affairs in order to streamline humanitarian aid;

3. Requests that all member nations develop programs to better enhance the growth of their respective economy;

4. Calls for the development of a WA trust fund that encourages voluntary donations from the private transitional sector to aid in funding the implementation of aforementioned programs;

5. Stresses the continuing need for impartial and objective information on political, economic and social situations and events of all countries;

6. Encourages that states respond quickly and generously to consolidated appeals for humanitarian aid; and

7. Requests the expansion of preventative actions and assurance of post-conflict assistance through reconstruction and development.

OOC: I never signed onto a document like this. Nor do I think any other of the so-called signatories. Remove my name from this.

EDIT: And otherwise, this basically doesn't do anything. Your first clause is a platitude, as is the second and third one. The fourth one doesn't do much beyond duplicate a pre-existing aid WA aid programme. The fifth one would be important, but I believe it is already covered. The sixth one doesn't really mean anything, and the seventh one violates GA 2.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:11 am

OOC: and the ban on Monopolies, as written, contradicts the existing resolution on Patents... because patent-holders, unless they choose to licence production of their patented items to other companies, naturally hold monopolies in that respect.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly