NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Ban on Microparticles

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Anuit Antesaria
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

[DRAFT] Ban on Microparticles

Postby Anuit Antesaria » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:58 pm

At the suggestion of Bears Armed, this proposal has been removed from the General Assembly and has been redrafted for consideration and critique by this forum. All assistance is greatly appreciated.
----
Ban on Microparticles
Category: Environmental
Industry Affected: Manufacturing
----

The World Assembly,

Honoring its commitment to protecting its constituents, extending this to mean their respective environments with consideration of the world in general;

Alarmed by the inherent dangers of the use, manufacturing, or trade of Microparticles, specifically in their abilities to bypass standard methods of water decontamination, their overwhelming presence in common commercial products, and the extreme difficulty associated with their proper disposal;

Hereby,

I. Defines for the purpose of this legislation the term "Microparticles" to mean nonbiodegradable and toxic particles, commonly comprised of plastics or other substances related to the aforementioned description, measuring at a length of 100 micrometers or smaller that have been produced via machine use or by standard factory production.

II. Prohibits the manufacturing, use, or trade involving Microparticles in any capacity.
A) Products containing Microparticles are to adjust their production to remove them.
B) Organic Microparticles, defined as Microparticles that are nontoxic and biodegradable, are exempt from Section II.

III. Calls Upon the World Assembly Trade Commission to enforce the stipulations in Section II.

IV. Calls Upon the World Assembly Scientific Program to research methods of proper disposal of Microparticles and to immediantly implement those methods.

V. Grants funding to World Assembly member states who cannot readily afford to cease production of Microparticles without support, and to memeber states who assist with the efforts identified in Section IV.

----
Edit 1: Added Nontoxic and Biodegradeable clause in Section II at the suggestion of Serrus.

Edit 2: Corrected "Frightened" to "Alarmed" at the suggestion of The New California Republic

Edit 3: Major edit to entire draft.
Last edited by Anuit Antesaria on Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Serrus
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 06, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Serrus » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:03 pm

Anuit Antesaria wrote:At the suggestion of Bears Armed, this proposal has been removed from the General Assembly and has been redrafted for consideration and critique by this forum. All assistance is greatly appreciated.
-snip-

OOC: Good on ya for posting a draft. Maybe add a clause about organic/biodegradable/nontoxic/whathaveyou microparticle manufacture? Those are a thing.
Katganistan wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:maybe japan wanted the zombie attack.

Possible. Zombies are cool now.

Eastern Raarothorgren wrote:News websites are good and reasonable soruces of information or they would not be on the internet if they were saying things that were incorrect.

This is why rules exist, kids!
Keshiland wrote:I am yes arguing that the 1st 4 are not binding to the states and yes I know that in most Republican states they would ban the freedom of religion and the freedom of essembally but I don't live there and I hate guns!

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

Anuit Antesaria
Civil Servant

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Anuit Antesaria » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:34 pm

Serrus wrote:
Anuit Antesaria wrote:At the suggestion of Bears Armed, this proposal has been removed from the General Assembly and has been redrafted for consideration and critique by this forum. All assistance is greatly appreciated.
-snip-

OOC: Good on ya for posting a draft. Maybe add a clause about organic/biodegradable/nontoxic/whathaveyou microparticle manufacture? Those are a thing.

OOC: Oh, great idea! It has been added into the draft. Thank you!
Last edited by Anuit Antesaria on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:59 pm

Anuit Antesaria wrote:Frightened by the inherent dangers of the use, manufacturing, or trade of Microparticles, specifically in their abilities to bypass standard methods of water decontamination, their overwhelming presence in common commercial products, and the extreme difficulty associated with their proper disposal;

OOC: I really don't like words like "frightened" being in the language of WA legislation, it just seems unprofessional.

Anuit Antesaria wrote:III. Establishes the World Assembly Manufacturing Association (WAMA) for the purposes of this legislation.

IV. Establishes the World Assembly Science and Technology Association (WASTA) for the purposes of this legislation.

OOC: Oh joy, you are adding not one, but two more committees to the World Assembly committee pile! Ugh...

Against. Any proposal that adds multiple committees to the World Assembly must be fought tooth and nail.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Anuit Antesaria
Civil Servant

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Anuit Antesaria » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:12 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Anuit Antesaria wrote:Frightened by the inherent dangers of the use, manufacturing, or trade of Microparticles, specifically in their abilities to bypass standard methods of water decontamination, their overwhelming presence in common commercial products, and the extreme difficulty associated with their proper disposal;

OOC: I really don't like words like "frightened" being in the language of WA legislation, it just seems unprofessional.

Anuit Antesaria wrote:III. Establishes the World Assembly Manufacturing Association (WAMA) for the purposes of this legislation.

IV. Establishes the World Assembly Science and Technology Association (WASTA) for the purposes of this legislation.

OOC: Oh joy, you are adding not one, but two more committees to the World Assembly committee pile! Ugh...

Against. Any proposal that adds multiple committees to the World Assembly must be fought tooth and nail.

OOC: Thank you for your criticism! I have edited the introduction to be more formal and professional. Unfortunately, I cannot agree on the suggestion to remove the committees. Their purpose is not exclusive to this proposal; hopefully they will be used in future legislation. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but neither of their purposes were shared by the current list of committees, and therefore their creation is justified.

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:14 pm

OOC: From personal experience, the machining and working with high-strength plastics such as HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) and UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) and the 3D printing of materials such as ABS and nylon compounds always produces microparticles as a byproduct, whether it's the shavings from machining UHMWPE or the fine nanoparticulate dust from 3D printing with some materials. I'd like to advise that you be careful with this proposal, as it could affect manufacturing processes that are not within the intended scope of this proposal.

As part of my job and hobby of building custom combat robots (Battlebots, not military hardware), I work with UHMWPE and Alloy910 Nylon on a regular basis.
Last edited by The Greater Siriusian Domain on Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:24 pm

The Greater Siriusian Domain wrote:As part of my job and hobby of building custom combat robots (Battlebots, not military hardware), I work with UHMWPE and Alloy910 Nylon on a regular basis.

We know you build terminators. Give it up!

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:31 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
The Greater Siriusian Domain wrote:As part of my job and hobby of building custom combat robots (Battlebots, not military hardware), I work with UHMWPE and Alloy910 Nylon on a regular basis.

We know you build terminators. Give it up!

OOC: Well, my 3lber has terminated quite a few opponents. In out of 26 matches, it's won 20 - 19 of them by KO. Match record for 2017

So, I guess you can say it's a terminator of a sort. :p
Last edited by The Greater Siriusian Domain on Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

Serrus
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 06, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Serrus » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:44 pm

The Greater Siriusian Domain wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:We know you build terminators. Give it up!

OOC: Well, my 3lber has terminated quite a few opponents. In out of 26 matches, it's won 20 - 19 of them by KO. Match record for 2017

So, I guess you can say it's a terminator of a sort. :p

So that's 3 people I know that do robotics and I think are cool.
Yay!
Katganistan wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:maybe japan wanted the zombie attack.

Possible. Zombies are cool now.

Eastern Raarothorgren wrote:News websites are good and reasonable soruces of information or they would not be on the internet if they were saying things that were incorrect.

This is why rules exist, kids!
Keshiland wrote:I am yes arguing that the 1st 4 are not binding to the states and yes I know that in most Republican states they would ban the freedom of religion and the freedom of essembally but I don't live there and I hate guns!

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:33 am

"For the first clause, 'consideration' is a mass noun and doesn't need an 's' to show plurality. Also, the World Assembly has members on thousands of planets so 'planets' needs an 's'".
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Alpha Cassiopeiae
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Alpha Cassiopeiae » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:02 am

After looking through the long list of committees: "Ambassador, instead of adding two new committees to the growing bureaucracy of the World Assembly, could you not simply utilise the existing ones? For WAMA, you could task that to the World Assembly Trade Commission or the International Trade Agency, and WASTA could be replaced with the World Health Authority, Health Research and Development Division, or World Assembly Scientific Program. It isn't necessarily a dealbreaker for The Alliance, but there are, to my knowledge, 57 committees and subcommittees active in the World Assembly."
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Albinus Krantz
General Ambassador to the World: Marian Novak

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:59 am

Anuit Antesaria wrote:I. Defines for the purpose of this legislation the term "Microparticles" to mean nonbiodegradable and toxic debris, commonly comprised of plastics or other substances related to the aforementioned description, measuring at a length of 5 millimeters or smaller.

OOC: Is the requirement for "microparticle" here that it's nonbiodegradeable and toxic? And that it must be debris? Because if "debris" is a requirement, then you're not actually banning manufacturing of microparticles, but are banning things like, say, airplanes, combustion engines, cars, bicycles and most clothing and food industry, including banning the sale of fresh vegetables.

Also, a particle with length of 5 millimetres is hardly a microparticle. At least according to Wikipedia, microparticles vary in size from 0.1 to 100 micrometres. For comparison, 5 millimetres is 5000 micrometres.
Last edited by Araraukar on Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:23 am

Anuit Antesaria wrote:OOC: Unfortunately, I cannot agree on the suggestion to remove the committees. Their purpose is not exclusive to this proposal; hopefully they will be used in future legislation. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but neither of their purposes were shared by the current list of committees, and therefore their creation is justified.

OOC: Nope, there is really no need for them. This kind of thing could easily be given to one of the committees that currently exists, contrary to what you say. If you continue to insist on creating multiple committees in a single proposal, then you will find support for this will be greatly reduced. Pointlessly increasing the bureaucracy of the WA needs to be stopped.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Anuit Antesaria
Civil Servant

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Anuit Antesaria » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:25 am

OOC: All wonderful suggestions, thank you!

Arotania
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Arotania » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:10 am

Well, this version is slightly better than the original proposal that tried to ban flour among other things.
Still there is a number of serious problems.

Anuit Antesaria wrote:I. Defines for the purpose of this legislation the term "Microparticles" to mean nonbiodegradable and toxic particles, commonly comprised of plastics or other substances related to the aforementioned description, measuring at a length of 100 millimeters or smaller that have been produced via machine use or by standard factory production.

Even if the obvious typo (milli instead of micro) is changed this still encompasses particles that are smaller than microparticles (e.g. nanoparticles).
What exactly is meant by 'toxic'? For who? Under what circumstances? At what dose? Water is toxic at sufficient doses. People have died from water poisoning. To put it in most commonly known terms:

All things are poison, and nothing is without poison, the dosage alone makes it so a thing is not a poison.
—Paracelsus

This definition is bound to be a nightmare.

Anuit Antesaria wrote:B) Organic Microparticles, defined as Microparticles that are nontoxic and biodegradable, are exempt from Section II.

Further overloading the meaning of 'organic' by legislation is not a good thing. The term has a specific meaning in chemistry.
Also how does this relate to the definition above? Aren't particles that are 'nontoxic and biodegradable' already no microparticles according to the definition in this proposal?

Imperial Polk County
Envoy

Founded: Aug 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Polk County » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:28 am

Arotania wrote:Even if the obvious typo (milli instead of micro)

"Even that would ban substances like sifted flour, which, while edible, can be toxic if inhaled."
-- Herbert Jackson Drane IV, WA Ambassador of the newly independent Imperial Polk County, Population 665,000. That "xxx million" population stat? It's most certainly a typo.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:29 am

Anuit Antesaria wrote:I. Defines for the purpose of this legislation the term "Microparticles" to mean nonbiodegradable and toxic particles, commonly comprised of plastics or other substances related to the aforementioned description, measuring at a length of 100 millimeters or smaller that have been produced via machine use or by standard factory production.

OOC: 100 millimetres? 10 centimetres?? That is a pretty massive "microparticle"!

Wave on, wave on

Ransium
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 17, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ransium » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:03 pm

Freedom Caucus wrote:No nibba

Knock it off.

And before you say "But Monitor just ruled the use of the word 'nigga' okay, so this has to be fine!" Context matters. Your posting history, forum profile, the context of this thread, and use of "nibba" are all important pieces of context that make your post not okay and troll-y.

Beyond that, your post is not helpful. Maybe actually post your reasoning and objections in the future?
Last edited by Ransium on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Commended by SC 236,
WA Delegate of Forest from March 20th, 2007 to August 19, 2020.
Author of WA Resolutions: SC 221, SC 224, SC 233, SC 243, SC 265, GA 403, GA 439, GA 445,GA 463,GA 465,
Issues Editor since January 20th, 2017 with some down time.
Author of 27 issues. First editor of 44.
Moderator since November 10th 2017 with some down time.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Opposed. This is far too overreaching.

According to Wikipedia,

Microparticles are particles between 0.1 and 100 μ\mu m in size. Commercially available microparticles are available in a wide variety of materials, including ceramics, glass, polymers, and metals. Microparticles encountered in daily life include pollen, sand, dust, flour, and powdered sugar.

Just scroll through the article and you’ll see why this is a bad idea.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly