NATION

PASSWORD

DRAFT: Repeal GAR #235 "Child Firearm Safety Act"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Pro Life-2017
Attaché

Founded: Nov 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

DRAFT: Repeal GAR #235 "Child Firearm Safety Act"

Postby Pro Life-2017 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:48 pm

What do you guys think of the draft repeal resolution below, I have not submitted, I would love to hear your feedback on it and any suggestions on how to improve it, I would also be interested to hear any possible technicalities that would make this resolution illegal. The proposed text of the proposed repeal resolution is below.:

Repeal Resolution: General Assembly Resolution #235

General Assembly Resolution #235, otherwise know as "Child Firearm Safety Act" is hereby repealed:

Preamble:

1. Recognizing that GAR resolution #235 severely infringes on a youth's right to bear firearms,
2. Recognizing that firearm ownership is a right, not a privilege,
3. Regardless of age,
4. Recognizing that firearm ownership is essential to defense of a free state, Recognizing firearm ownership is human right
5. Recognizing that firearm ownership allows citizens (regardless of age) to defend themselves and their families, their lives, their liberties, their property,
6. Recognizing that firearm ownership is a right (regardless of age) which has existed since the being of firearms (for all ages),
7. Recognizing that this resolution severely infringes on a youth's right to bear firearms,

Therefore,

8. This resolution is repealed to allow nations to make their own decisions regarding youth firearm rights,
9. This resolution is also repealed because some nations, supportive of youth firearm ownership, are severely restricted by this resolutions restrictions on youth firearms rights, because General Assembly Resolution #235 does not define what "education in firearm safety and proper use, and has demonstrated knowledge thereof" means, allowing anti gun nations to pass unclear anti gun laws that deprive firearm rights for youth,
10. As the resolution is unclear, it deprives youth of their gun rights,
11. This resolution is repealed to protect the firearm rights of youth,
Last edited by Pro Life-2017 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 23 times in total.

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:58 pm

((OOC: The resolution you are seeking to repeal regulates international arms transfers, not personal firearms ownership or transfers of firearms within a member state.

Moreover, the regulations introduced by that resolution -- requiring an end user certificate, as well as prohibiting the transfer of arms for use in wars of conquest or to violate human rights -- are entirely reasonable and are an important part of national and international laws in the real world.

I suggest you go back and read GAR #399 again, because I think you've deeply misunderstood its purpose and its provisions.))
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Pro Life-2017
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Pro Life-2017 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:00 pm

Auralia wrote:((OOC: The resolution you are seeking to repeal regulates international arms transfers, not personal firearms ownership or transfers of firearms within a member state.

Moreover, the regulations introduced by that resolution -- requiring an end user certificate, as well as prohibiting the transfer of arms for use in wars of conquest or to violate human rights -- are entirely reasonable and are an important part of national and international laws in the real world.

I suggest you go back and read GAR #399 again, because I think you've deeply misunderstood its purpose and its provisions.))

OOC: Thanks, I am going to read it right now

Pro Life-2017
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Pro Life-2017 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:01 pm

Auralia wrote:((OOC: The resolution you are seeking to repeal regulates international arms transfers, not personal firearms ownership or transfers of firearms within a member state.

Thanks, you are right... I will find the correct resolution to repeal.

Pro Life-2017
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Updates

Postby Pro Life-2017 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:24 pm

Check out the new updated draft.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:07 pm

OOC: Legislating in a repeal makes it illegal.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Milwalkiee
Spokesperson

Founded: May 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Milwalkiee » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Demetra Pachis enters, ready to give constructive criticism.

"Let's break this down."
Pro Life-2017 wrote:What do you guys think of the draft repeal resolution below, I have not submitted it yet but I would love to hear your feedback on it and any suggestions on how to improve it before I send it to the General Assembly, I would also be interested to hear any possible technicalities that would make this resolution illegal. Any one who would like to co author this repeal resolution, can just telegraph me. The draft text of the draft repeal resolution is below.:

"At least this wasn't submitted yet.

A repeal resolution to protect firearms ownership rights for youth

"The 'A repeal to [...]' is generated. You don't get to decide that."

Category: Human Rights
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: Pro Life-2017

"Categories and strengths don't apply to repeals."

General Assembly Resolution #235, otherwise know as "Child Firearm Safety Act" is hereby repealed:

"I would not use hereby here, but that's just preference I believe."

Preamble:

1. Recognizing that firearm ownership is a right, not a privilege,
2. Regardless of age, and recognizing that firearm ownership should be granted to all youth's, except for youth under the age of 14
3. Recognizing that firearm ownership is essential to defense of a free state,
4. Recognizing that firearm ownership allows citizens (regardless of age) to defend themselves and their families, and property,
5. Recognizing that firearm ownership is a right (regardless of age) which has existed since the being of firearms (for all ages),
6. Recognizing that this resolution severely infringes on a youth's right to bear firearms,

"Too many contradictions here. Also, this appears to still have details relating to Aurelia's post."

Therefore,

7. This resolution is repealed to allow nations to make their own decisions regarding youth firearm rights,
8. This resolution is also repealed because some nations, supportive of youth firearm ownership, are severely restricted by this resolutions restrictions on youth firearms rights,
9. Respectfully encouraging nations to allow for youth firearm ownership to be available to all eligible persons about the age of 14, with parental consent for all youth 14 years of age ton 18 years of age

"Repeals cannot introduce new legislation. It is in the "GA Proposal Compendium: Rules and General Advice" thread. Additionally, the entire basis of this repeal is heavily based on NatSov."

"In essence, I hope this assistance was helpful, and I shall hopefully be going into more detail later. If this wasn't helpful, sorry for wasting your time."

OOC: I'm not perfect, and I accept that, so if there are any flaws in my reasoning, please help. Thank you!
"Peace. Diplomacy. Leadership."

Cheers!
Milwalkiee

Mallorea and Riva wrote:I will be fascinated to watch this unfold, since I can conceive of no way in which a commendation of me could possibly pass. I have worked tirelessly since January 16, 2012 to ensure that a commendation badge would never grace my nation. Good luck :p

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:If anything, marriage is an insult to dating, by implying that a piece of paper is the only thing holding breakups back.

Trumptonium wrote:This forum never ceases to amaze me.

NeoOasis
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby NeoOasis » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:13 pm

Can you repeal a resolution while completely missing the point of said resolution? Nope, we're opposed to this slap dash attempt at passing legislation.

OOC: Okay... seriously, wow. Not sure where to start with this.
Eternally salty, quite tired, and perhaps looking for a brighter future.

Pro Life-2017
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Update

Postby Pro Life-2017 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Check out the new draft.

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Pro Life-2017 wrote:Repeal Resolution: General Assembly Resolution #235

Preamble:

1. Recognizing that GAR resolution #235 severely infringes on a youth's right to bear firearms,

Therefore,

2. This resolution is repealed to allow nations to make their own decisions regarding youth firearm rights,
3. This resolution is also repealed because some nations, supportive of youth firearm ownership, are severely restricted by this resolutions restrictions on youth firearms rights,
4. Respectfully encouraging nations to allow for youth firearm ownership to be available to all eligible persons about the age of 14, with parental consent for all youth 14 years of age ton 18 years of age

Iksana leans back in his chair. “Let’s see... legislating in a repeal. That’s illegal. Also why are you trying to enforce your age standards on the rest of us? In addition, the resolution does not do what you think it does. In fact, Gee-Ay-Arr 235 says in it, and I quote,

“4. CLARIFIES that notwithstanding the above provisions, it is not unlawful under this Act to provide a firearm to a child (or allow a child to access a firearm) if that child has received an education in firearm safety and proper use, and has demonstrated knowledge thereof;”

So basically, just give your kiddos some lessons in gun safety and you’ll be right as rain. Your nation’s hardly restricted at all.”
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Pro Life-2017
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Clause 4

Postby Pro Life-2017 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Essu Beti wrote:

Preamble:

Therefore,

2. This resolution is repealed to allow nations to make their own decisions regarding youth firearm rights,
3. This resolution is also repealed because some nations, supportive of youth firearm ownership, are severely restricted by this resolutions restrictions on youth firearms rights,
4. Respectfully encouraging nations to allow for youth firearm ownership to be available to all eligible persons about the age of 14, with parental consent for all youth 14 years of age ton 18 years of age

Iksana leans back in his chair. “Let’s see... legislating in a repeal. That’s illegal. Also why are you trying to enforce your age standards on the rest of us? In addition, the resolution does not do what you think it does. In fact, Gee-Ay-Arr 235 says in it, and I quote,

“4. CLARIFIES that notwithstanding the above provisions, it is not unlawful under this Act to provide a firearm to a child (or allow a child to access a firearm) if that child has received an education in firearm safety and proper use, and has demonstrated knowledge thereof;”

So basically, just give your kiddos some lessons in gun safety and you’ll be right as rain. Your nation’s hardly restricted at all.”

I just got rid of clause 4 based off your feedback... Thank you
Last edited by Pro Life-2017 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:19 pm

“And the rest of my argument? What about that?”
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:30 pm

OOC: Since the act in question (by the way, it's considered polite to post a link to the resolution you're trying to repeal in the OP) really only restricts firearms from children in cases where the child does not have firearm safety training and is not receiving it, I'm inclined to say this simplistic argument constitutes an Honest Mistake and is therefore illegal. You'll need to make an argument as to why mandating that children receive firearm safety training prior to or concurrently with obtaining a firearm, is such a horrible burden.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

NeoOasis
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby NeoOasis » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:31 pm

Pro Life-2017 wrote:3. This resolution is also repealed because some nations, supportive of youth firearm ownership, are severely restricted by this resolutions restrictions on youth firearms rights,

How the hell is mere firearm training "severely restricting" to nations covered under this act?

No one said kids can't own guns, they just need training in order to use them which is a damn good idea considering their atrocious hand gun handling in cops and robbers, and/or equivalent games our offspring play.

Still opposed on ground this repeal makes no sense at all.

OOC: You seem to have 3-4 active proposals running. Maybe focus on one? Y'know... quality over quantity.
Eternally salty, quite tired, and perhaps looking for a brighter future.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:36 pm

Pro Life-2017 wrote:Check out the new draft.

OOC: Ok, now it's illegal for NatSov Only.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:22 am

"Rather than having nine clauses, you know have three. As two of them are operative clauses this equates to one justification for this repeal, and it is a shaky one at best which probably counts as a National Sovereignty rules violation."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:14 am

OOC: You keep drafting lots of repeals within a relatively short space of time, why not just focus on one? Also, I really don't see the reasoning behind repealing #235, it seems solely focused on NatSov, which in and of itself is a non-reason. Based on that, is this another repeal attempt that is destined to be abandoned?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Imperial Polk County
Envoy

Founded: Aug 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Polk County » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:09 am

Drane looks over his copy of the repeal proposal. He turns it over and notes the other side is blank. "You've spent a lot of time on this, haven't you?" He crumbles it up and attempts to throw it into the nearest garbage pail, but misses by ten feet. "I am opposed to any repeal of this proposal, as doing so opens the door to a blanket ban on children possessing firearms. I taught my kids how to shoot skeet when they were young, and in a safe and controlled manner that fits in the framework of this resolution. There's no reason why they can't do the same for their kids."
-- Herbert Jackson Drane IV, WA Ambassador of the newly independent Imperial Polk County, Population 665,000. That "xxx million" population stat? It's most certainly a typo.

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:23 am

Teran Saber: "You seem to be making a lot of these."

Pro Life-2017 wrote:General Assembly Resolution #235, otherwise know as "Child Firearm Safety Act" is hereby repealed:

Teran Saber: "And I seem to be making a lot of counterarguments specifically against your proposals that you've never responded to or acted upon."

Pro Life-2017 wrote:Preamble:

Ambassador Teran Saber taps the back of his right hand against a printed copy of GAR#235 like a certain defense attorney with spiky hair

Teran Saber: "You are in error. GAR#235 Child Firearm Safety Act clauses 4 and 5 state the following:"

Imperium Anglorum wrote:4. CLARIFIES that notwithstanding the above provisions, it is not unlawful under this Act to provide a firearm to a child (or allow a child to access a firearm) if that child has received an education in firearm safety and proper use, and has demonstrated knowledge thereof;

5. CLARIFIES that notwithstanding the above provisions, it is not unlawful under this Act to provide a firearm to a child under proper supervision for the purposes of educating the child in firearm safety and proper use;

Teran Saber: "As you can see, the rights of a minor to handle or use a firearm are not infringed. The regulations simply exist to ensure the individual can properly use the weapon in a manner that is not dangerous to themselves or others."

OOC: Your proposal is illegal for both Natsov and Honest Mistake violations.

Pro Life-2017 wrote:Therefore,

Teran Saber: "With the previous rebuttal, I see no reason for this repeal. Opposed."
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:13 pm

"The proposal text should include a line break between clauses 2 and 3."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Milwalkiee
Spokesperson

Founded: May 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Milwalkiee » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:31 pm

Pro Life-2017 wrote:What do you guys think of the draft repeal resolution below, I have not submitted it yet but I would love to hear your feedback on it and any suggestions on how to improve it before I send it to the General Assembly, I would also be interested to hear any possible technicalities that would make this resolution illegal. Any one who would like to co author this repeal resolution, can just telegraph me. The draft text of the draft repeal resolution is below.:

Preamble:

Therefore,

NatSov.

False. Just, false.

All in all, it went from a decent first draft to an illegal NatSov argument. The original had issues, but all do. You appear to have just taken out illegal arguments completely instalead of tweaking them to make them legal.
"Peace. Diplomacy. Leadership."

Cheers!
Milwalkiee

Mallorea and Riva wrote:I will be fascinated to watch this unfold, since I can conceive of no way in which a commendation of me could possibly pass. I have worked tirelessly since January 16, 2012 to ensure that a commendation badge would never grace my nation. Good luck :p

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:If anything, marriage is an insult to dating, by implying that a piece of paper is the only thing holding breakups back.

Trumptonium wrote:This forum never ceases to amaze me.

The Unfounded
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 07, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Unfounded » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:12 pm

"Is it me, or does this pro-life group seem REALLY infatuated with killing people?"
Godulan Puppet 1
The Servants of the True Way of the Will: A multi-galactic anti-technology crusade that plies the stars in vessels shaped with the power of their own minds. To give up your material devices and trinkets is to learn how to access the true power that all can wield.

A 1.09 civilization, according to this Nation Index Thingie
All NS stats are non-canon with this nation.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:09 pm

Preamble:

Therefore,

Well at least you didn't submit it this time without showing us a draft.

Also this seems to be a NatSov only argument. I suggest reading the rules of the GA.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Alpha Cassiopeiae
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Alpha Cassiopeiae » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:27 am

Pro Life-2017 wrote:Proposed by: Pro Life-2017

Preamble:

Therefore,

Whispering to aide: "There's been an error of some sort. A large portion of this is missing. Please get me a corrected copy of the proposal."
Aide, to Albinus: "There is no error. That is the proposal in full."
"What? Are you sure?"
"Positive, sir."

Albinus, to the Assembly: "What is this, Ambassador? Do you honestly expect anybody to support a three-line repeal of safety regulations based on what appears to be a gross misread of the resolution in question? Is this a joke?" Albinus throws the proposal on the table and storms out.

OOC: You do realise that you're making a NatSov argument against a resolution that only requires children to be trained in the safety and use of a firearm, right? Because I don't think a proposal has been more Honest Mistake ever.
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Albinus Krantz
General Ambassador to the World: Marian Novak

The Royal Green Jackets
Civilian

Founded: Dec 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Green Jackets » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:30 am

i say 14 is legal age to own and carry without consent

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly