NATION

PASSWORD

Reducing Plastics Act (Draft)

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Republic of Keshiland
Minister

Founded: Oct 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Reducing Plastics Act (Draft)

Postby Republic of Keshiland » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:58 am

Description- This legislation aims to gradually reduce the amount of plastic used in the WA eventually getting down to a use rate of 0.

Requires- Nations to reduce the amount of plastic used by 1% every year over the next 100 years.

Encourages- Nations to strive for the use of biodegradable materials to replace the use of plastic.

Prohibits- The burning of toxic plastics.
Last edited by Republic of Keshiland on Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
I am pro-life, anti-gun, pro-immigration, pro UHC, pro-free college, pro universal income, anti-war, anti-death penalty, pro-financial ade, pro anything that makes children's lives better.

I finally realised how messed up English was when I read a sign in French and could comprehend half of it despite never learning any French

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:11 am

Republic of Keshiland wrote:Description- This legislation aims to gradually reduce the amount of plastic used in the WA eventually getting down to a use rate of 0.

"Category? Area of effect? This is proposal basics you really should be getting by your umpteenth draft. Also, this is a very unachievable goal, no way in a million years is there going to be no plastic usage at all.

Requires- Nations to reduce the amount of plastic used by 99% over the next 1000 years.

"1000 years? Even for you this is getting ridiculous. In 1000 years several nations will have reduced their usage of plastic by 100%, because they will be dead, whether by revolution or the heat death of the universe it will happen. A 1000 year goal is too far away to persuade governments to seriously and 99% is too drastic to be attainable for most nations."

Encurages- Nations to strive for the use of biodegradable materials to replace the use of plastic.

"Encurages? Do you mean, encourages Keshiland?"

Prohibits- The burning of plastics.

"Actually some plastics can be burnt safely under some conditions, so there is no need for a blanket ban."
"There we have it, the whole five clauses worth of proposal, with no pre-amble or justification."

EDIT: "I see you have now added a 5000 year deadline to the stopping of plastics. 5000 years ago, Kenmoria didn't exist. What did exist at that time was Ancient Egypt, you know, the ones with the pyramids and hieroglyphics. In 5000 years the Keshiland Republic will most likely be nonexistent. This deadline is even worth than the others."
Last edited by Kenmoria on Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Republic of Keshiland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Keshiland » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:20 am

"Category? Area of effect? This is proposal basics you really should be getting by your umpteenth draft. Also, this is a very unachievable goal, no way in a million years is there going to be no plastic usage at all.

Enviorment, industry

"1000 years? Even for you this is getting ridiculous. In 1000 years several nations will have reduced their usage of plastic by 100%, because they will be dead, whether by revolution or the heat death of the universe it will happen. A 1000 year goal is too far away to persuade governments to seriously and 99% is too drastic to be attainable for most nations."

It gives everyone plenty of time (in real life I bet by 2100 we will be plastic free)

"Encurages? Do you mean, encourages Keshiland?"

Yes thank you

"Actually some plastics can be burnt safely under some conditions, so there is no need for a blanket ban."

There we have it, the whole five clauses worth of proposal, with no pre-amble or justification.

The description is the preamble, plastic should just not be burned, period but I will probably edit that to make it less controversial.
I am pro-life, anti-gun, pro-immigration, pro UHC, pro-free college, pro universal income, anti-war, anti-death penalty, pro-financial ade, pro anything that makes children's lives better.

I finally realised how messed up English was when I read a sign in French and could comprehend half of it despite never learning any French

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:25 am

OOC: Speaking in my official category, I'd hold that allowing member nations to postpone action for anywhere near that long effectively makes the proposal's effects [with this sort of area-of-effect] too mild for legality...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Republic of Keshiland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Keshiland » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:26 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC: Speaking in my official category, I'd hold that allowing member nations to postpone action for anywhere near that long effectively makes the proposal's effects [with this sort of area-of-effect] too mild for legality...

Fixed that to 100 years. Is that good?

Principality of the Raix
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Principality of the Raix » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:30 am

OOC: Thing is, I agree with the prohibition. However, even science has found germs that basically eat plastic back in 2016 IRL. So why would this be an issue, besides the burning prohibition.
Prince Hildehrand, Principality of the Raix;Technocratic Allied States President.
Technocratic Forum
I do not use NS stats, but I do use Policies due to the Nation's Goals.
Conservative Libertarian Total-Isolationist Nationalist Reactionary
Collectivism score: -67%
Authoritarianism score: -50%
Internationalism score: -83%
Tribalism score: 33%
Liberalism score: -67%

Pro: Pro-Life, Limited Government, 2nd Amendment, 1st Amendment.
Con: Pro-Choice, Communism, Anarchism, Totalitarianism.

Republic of Keshiland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Keshiland » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:31 am

Principality of the Raix wrote:OOC: Thing is, I agree with the prohibition. However, even science has found germs that basically eat plastic back in 2016 IRL. So why would this be an issue, besides the burning prohibition.

Because it takes a ridiculously long time to degrade like in the millions of years.

United Imperial Systems
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Imperial Systems » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:33 am

Republic of Keshiland wrote:
Principality of the Raix wrote:OOC: Thing is, I agree with the prohibition. However, even science has found germs that basically eat plastic back in 2016 IRL. So why would this be an issue, besides the burning prohibition.

Because it takes a ridiculously long time to degrade like in the millions of years.

OOC: Have you heard of recycling?
DEFCON-1-2-3-[4]-5
I don't give a fluppy [REDACTED] about NS stats!
Class T3 Civilization
A 3.6 type civilization, according to this index.
-------
Independent Carolina wrote:They got space ninja assassins with teleportation and freakin' light sabers man.
Would not fuck with them/10

Me!

The Official name is "The Universal Federation", thanks for paying attention! <3

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:35 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC: Speaking in my official category, I'd hold that allowing member nations to postpone action for anywhere near that long effectively makes the proposal's effects [with this sort of area-of-effect] too mild for legality...

OOC: No.
Effects should [at least] start as soon as the resolution passes, and have a timescale for completion that's [at least] fast enough for people to notice. I'm not going to give any hard-&-fast numbers, but let's wait and see what other GenSec members say... if you can't be persuaded just to drop the idea altogether.
Also, speaking now as a scientist, 'plastic' is a general descriptive term that covers a variety of natural materials as well as the synthetics that presumably you were thinking of when you wrote this proposal.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

United Imperial Systems
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby United Imperial Systems » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:35 am

Description- This legislation aims to gradually reduce the amount of plastic used in the WA eventually getting down to a use rate of 0.
"Impossible, plastic is a useful material in everyday life, a use rate of zero would just be impossible and impractical."

Requires- Nations to reduce the amount of plastic used by 1% every year over the next 100 years.
"How would they do that exactly?"

Encourages- Nations to strive for the use of biodegradable materials to replace the use of plastic.
"Like...?"
Last edited by United Imperial Systems on Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
DEFCON-1-2-3-[4]-5
Class T3 Civilization
-------
Independent Carolina wrote:They got space ninja assassins with teleportation and freakin' light sabers man.

Me!

The Official name is "The Universal Federation", thanks for paying attention! <3

Republic of Keshiland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Keshiland » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:39 am

United Imperial Systems wrote:Description- This legislation aims to gradually reduce the amount of plastic used in the WA eventually getting down to a use rate of 0.
"Impossible, plastic is a useful material in everyday life, a use rate of zero would just be impossible and impractical."

"Like...?"

Its not that hard to go from plastic to paper/rubber.

They do that by switching to other materials that work for whatever the item is.

Recycling plastic is still bad for the environment cause of how it has to be done

Zawikhiztan
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Zawikhiztan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:44 am

Republic of Keshiland wrote:Description- This legislation aims to gradually reduce the amount of plastic used in the WA eventually getting down to a use rate of 0.
it is impossible as at least 1% would use a plastic spoon, straw or plate

100 years, so if we increase 25% the next year we can still get 99% eg: today i used 3% and i need to take 1%= (3-1=2) do that cycle again and its pretty useless

So you encourage us to chop trees down no problem

Recycling plants are too expensive plus what are you going to make plastic toasters

TVRRZ: September 2022 General Elections Results Released: Visit the official page of the Commission of Elections | Zawikhiztan holds first-ever elections with new constitution | LDXZ Landslide, Celebrations in Oktomonbereyan | Zawikhiztan bid to head G40 accepted | Economists weigh in on LDXZ Victory | TVRRZ - the People's Truth

The Train is fast, it is very fast Proud to be a Bruh Moment Supporter

United Imperial Systems
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby United Imperial Systems » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:51 am

United Imperial Systems wrote:Description- This legislation aims to gradually reduce the amount of plastic used in the WA eventually getting down to a use rate of 0.

"Like...?"

They do that by switching to other materials that work for whatever the item is.

Recycling plastic is still bad for the environment cause of how it has to be done

"It would hurt the environment more to chop down so many trees to replace every plastic item we use, to top that off.
What will you replace plastic mini-spoons with, or straws, wooden straws and spoons? Do you know how expensive that would be?
It is impossible to replace everything with paper and rubber, also, a lot of rubber in many nations is made out of what plastic is made out of, basically rendering the whole point of getting rid of plastic dull."

"Again, what materials could be good at replacing plastic without hurting the environment?"

"And chopping hundreds of large forests isn't?"
Last edited by United Imperial Systems on Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DEFCON-1-2-3-[4]-5
Class T3 Civilization
-------

Me!

Republic of Keshiland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Keshiland » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:54 am

United Imperial Systems wrote:

"It would hurt the environment more to chop down so many trees to replace every plastic item we use, to top that off.
What will you replace plastic mini-spoons with, or straws, wooden straws and spoons? Do you know how expensive that would be?
It is impossible to replace everything with paper and rubber, also, a lot of rubber in many nations is made out of what plastic is made out of, basically rendering the whole point of getting rid of plastic dull."

"Again, what materials could be good at replacing plastic without hurting the environment?"

No rubber comes from trees, not from plastic. Also, you can just plant trees to replace the ones chopped down.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:57 am

United Imperial Systems wrote:"It would hurt the environment more to chop down so many trees to replace every plastic item we use, to top that off.

No rubber comes from trees, not from plastic. Also, you can just plant trees to replace the ones chopped down.

Rubber used to come from trees.

Now, it's usually made out of petroleum.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:01 am

OOC: 1) It is customary to post the category & strength/AoE in the OP.

Bears Armed wrote:

OOC: No.
Effects should [at least] start as soon as the resolution passes, and have a timescale for completion that's [at least] fast enough for people to notice. I'm not going to give any hard-&-fast numbers, but let's wait and see what other GenSec members say... if you can't be persuaded just to drop the idea altogether.
Also, speaking now as a scientist, 'plastic' is a general descriptive term that covers a variety of natural materials as well as the synthetics that presumably you were thinking of when you wrote this proposal.

2) BA is correct. The timeframe currently stated makes this illegal and is the only reason I'm posting in this thread.

I'm sure you've seen the many comments telling you to cop on to yourself. Legal =/= good idea, and legal =/= well written. I'm sure you've also seen the typical format of proposals and how none of yours have yet to measure up. I don't know why you keep throwing this shit at us or what you're playing at and I am completely at a loss to explain why any other player is entertaining your nonsense by engaging in your threads when you are just blithely ignoring all advice.

If/when you come back with a draft that is even just halfway reasonable and well written, I will be more than happy to help.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:54 am

"Like...?"

So we will just do without medical catheter tubes, blood vessel supports, artificial blood vessels, time-release pill casings, auditory implants, joint replacements, pacemakers, stints, and really, I could go on here for awhile with just medical devices, that have serious drawbacks when made with other materials, if they can be made at all? Come back when you get your head out of your arse and want to make a serious proposal with achievable goals that are consistent with reality.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Naqil
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Naqil » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:14 am

Ixhua continues this train of thought. "Also electronics, any kind of plumbing tubing that you don't want to corrode, safety glass, bulletproof glass, I figure electronics should be given another mention because they're so important to modern life, basically every other medical thing that the ambassador there didn't mention specifically -you do know that IV bags are plastic, yes?- photographic and movie film, for those that aren't made with, yet again, electronics."

"And finally, I'm sure the higher-technology nations would have something to say about you trying to destroy their very ability to live at all. Isn't there one whose nation is a fleet of spaceships? You don't want to use natural materials in spaceships. They tend to be porous, which is not something you want in a vacuum."
This nation's views do not necessarily coincide with my own. Please assume all statements are IC unless specified otherwise.

The Naqin Ambassador is Ixhua of House Yavuas. She's extremely traditionalist, and is known to have her eye on the Presidency for when President Dratan retires.

Essu Beti is my puppet, in theory. In actuality I use Essu Beti as more or less my default these days even though this account came first.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:31 am

OOC: Violates GAR#68.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

The Sheika
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 27, 2011

Postby The Sheika » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:52 am

I fail to see how this would be a WA concern.
Colonel Johnathan "Jack" Austin, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Department of International Affairs
Militaristic Federation of the Sheika
Regional Delegate of Absolution

Republic of Keshiland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Keshiland » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:55 am

The Sheika wrote:I fail to see how this would be a WA concern.

It protects everyone environment

Principality of the Raix
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Principality of the Raix » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:09 am

OOC:As stated and it does not take millions of years for germs to degrade and break down plastic. Course it depends highly on the amount that you have. While, it is not really a WA issue on what they do environmentally, per se. If it is not harming the residents.
Last edited by Principality of the Raix on Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prince Hildehrand, Principality of the Raix;Technocratic Allied States President.
Technocratic Forum
I do not use NS stats, but I do use Policies due to the Nation's Goals.
Conservative Libertarian Total-Isolationist Nationalist Reactionary
Collectivism score: -67%
Authoritarianism score: -50%
Internationalism score: -83%
Tribalism score: 33%
Liberalism score: -67%

Pro: Pro-Life, Limited Government, 2nd Amendment, 1st Amendment.
Con: Pro-Choice, Communism, Anarchism, Totalitarianism.

Naqil
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Naqil » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:19 am

((OOC: It's pretty hilarious to see someone on the internet railing against something that lets them access the internet, I gotta say))
This nation's views do not necessarily coincide with my own. Please assume all statements are IC unless specified otherwise.

The Naqin Ambassador is Ixhua of House Yavuas. She's extremely traditionalist, and is known to have her eye on the Presidency for when President Dratan retires.

Essu Beti is my puppet, in theory. In actuality I use Essu Beti as more or less my default these days even though this account came first.

Alanis Star
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alanis Star » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:38 am

OOC: Might have been said a billion times, but... not all the plastics we use nowadays harm the environment. Some are biodegradable, some types of plastics have been indeed reduced (in terms of usage).

BUT to completely reduce the usage of plastic? I don't think that might happen, not even in NS-universe.

Unless of course, you have an alternative material to plastic which is Eco-friendly, and biodegradable.

(I'm quite new to here, so err.. do I need to respond with my WA puppet, or can I still use my non-WA ones?)
Last edited by Alanis Star on Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Valentine Z's first ever puppet.
• I really want to carry a kitten and pet it.
• A perfect balance between urban and nature.
• Ruled by a magical android from another dimension, always cheerful and smiling.

Northern Ateria wrote:"Aww, you [Clarissa] purr just like a little kitten..." - President Adamaris Leah Harley Mustang
Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory wrote:
> literally all NS nations that controlled the entire Earth ever, said in every place in NS possible, in every second since Max Barry created NationStates

Send a Telegram to Valentine Z if you want a conversation. I'm always open for a little chatter. ♥

The Sheika
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 27, 2011

Postby The Sheika » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:43 am

You are going to need a lot more than just a throw away line such as that. The Federation, and I am certain many other member states, do not have the same issue with plastic as the Republic of Keshiland. I am willing to bet Cubits to doughnuts that there are cheaper and more effective programs in place. Not to mention biodegradable plastic that does not take years or decades to breakdown does exist.

As I have said in the past, give us a reason to care about this proposal. More than one line would be useful.
Colonel Johnathan "Jack" Austin, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Department of International Affairs
Militaristic Federation of the Sheika
Regional Delegate of Absolution

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly