NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Convention on Domestic Partnerships

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:58 pm

Naqil wrote:
Auralia wrote:This proposal prohibits the World Assembly from: compelling member states to recognize, support or encourage, or assign rights and duties to polygamy as a particular kind of spousal relationship akin to marriage; as well as preventing member states from doing any of the same.

"Why do you dislike polygamy so much as to prevent member states from recognizing, supporting, or encouraging it?" ask Ixhua.
”Ambassador, do you mean regognizing?”
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Naqil
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Naqil » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Ixhua crosses her arms. "I mean what was said, which is "recognizing." If there is an in-joke I am missing, then by all means inform me."
This nation's views do not necessarily coincide with my own. Please assume all statements are IC unless specified otherwise.

The Naqin Ambassador is Ixhua of House Yavuas. She's extremely traditionalist, and is known to have her eye on the Presidency for when President Dratan retires.

Essu Beti is my puppet, in theory. In actuality I use Essu Beti as more or less my default these days even though this account came first.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:11 pm

Naqil wrote:Ixhua crosses her arms. "I mean what was said, which is "recognizing." If there is an in-joke I am missing, then by all means inform me."
See Marriage Equality
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:02 pm

Naqil wrote:
Auralia wrote:This proposal prohibits the World Assembly from: compelling member states to recognize, support or encourage, or assign rights and duties to polygamy as a particular kind of spousal relationship akin to marriage; as well as preventing member states from doing any of the same.

"Why do you dislike polygamy so much as to prevent member states from recognizing, supporting, or encouraging it?" ask Ixhua.

"We are also interested in that question. We don't read the proposal as prohibiting a State from recognizing polygamy, polyandry, or group marriage within their own discretion. If the honorable Auralia can point out a clause we have missed that does, in fact, do that, we will stand corrected, but also withdraw our support from the draft."
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Dragonslinding WA Mission
Envoy

Founded: May 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonslinding WA Mission » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:32 pm

OOC:
3. Prohibits member states from engaging in unjust discrimination in the application of clauses 3 and 4, including but not limited to disadvantageous treatment on the basis of the race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, legal mutual sexual activity, or other such arbitrary characteristic of the aforementioned individuals, parents, or legal guardians;

It seems to me that there is a typographical error in clause 3. If I'm reading the draft correctly it should be clauses 2 and 4 covered in clause 3.

IC:

Ser Dawrin Stone rose "In general we Dragonslinding oppose WA involvement in purely domestic matters. Spousal relationships and quasi-spousal relationships in our nation do not even warrant the attention of the Crown let alone that of an international body. That being said, we see little reason to oppose this legislation."
Ser Aegon Snow: Chief Ambassador of HM Government to the WA.
Ser Dawrin Stone: Assistant Ambassador of HM Government to the WA

Please note that Ser is a title not a name. It denotes that both of these gentlemen have been knighted

We creatively comply with a number of WA resolutions, check out our factbook on the matter if you'd like to know more.

Cisgendered, homosexual white male. Classically liberal/libertarian, this nation does not reflect my actual political positions.

Imperial Polk County
Envoy

Founded: Aug 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Polk County » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:35 am

"Is this still the case for the current revision? I don't see anything that would prevent a member nation from recognizing polygamy. Or am I missing something?"
-- Herbert Jackson Drane IV, WA Ambassador of the newly independent Imperial Polk County, Population 665,000. That "xxx million" population stat? It's most certainly a typo.

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:46 am

Naqil wrote:

The proposal does not do what you claim it does. The clause "as well as preventing member states from doing any of the same" clearly applies to "the World Assembly", not "this proposal". In other words, this proposal prohibits the World Assembly from preventing member states from recognizing, supporting or encouraging, or assigning rights and duties to polygamy as a particular kind of spousal relationship akin to marriage.

Dragonslinding WA Mission wrote:It seems to me that there is a typographical error in clause 3. If I'm reading the draft correctly it should be clauses 2 and 4 covered in clause 3.

((OOC: Thanks for catching the error.))

Martin Russell
Chief Ambassador, Auralian Mission to the World Assembly
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:28 am

"Strong support, this proposal is infinetly better than the 'marriage equality' trash. However, you continually alternate between using General Assembly and World Assembly. I would recommend sticking to one or the other. Other than that, this proposal looks near perfect."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The Bible Baptist Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Bible Baptist Republic » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:55 am

Fauxia wrote:
The Bible Baptist Republic wrote:The Bible Baptist Republic is supportive of this proposal

OOC: Don't give it much chance of passing because it will unlikely appeal to the "across the board marriage equality forced down unwilling nations' throats" crowd. Hope I'm wrong though.
Most of the, believe that this is covered by CoCR anyway though

OOC: I hope you are correct and that the NatSov bloc cancels out the hard core SJW bloc. I can see hardcore SJW voting against as it would still allow for a nation to disallow reGOGnition of same-sex unions under the guise of “compelling practical purpose” exemption in GAR 35. I subscribe to the theory that the requirement to reGOGnize same sex unions is implied in the COCR and have RP’d TBBR as a theocracy in transition from a fundamentalist regime to a modern liberal theological regime.
-- Ambassador Robert Make-Me-An-Instrument-Of-Your-Worship Conklin, Bible Baptist Republic

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:16 am

The Bible Baptist Republic wrote:
Fauxia wrote:Most of the, believe that this is covered by CoCR anyway though

OOC: I hope you are correct and that the NatSov bloc cancels out the hard core SJW bloc. I can see hardcore SJW voting against as it would still allow for a nation to disallow reGOGnition of same-sex unions under the guise of “compelling practical purpose” exemption in GAR 35. I subscribe to the theory that the requirement to reGOGnize same sex unions is implied in the COCR and have RP’d TBBR as a theocracy in transition from a fundamentalist regime to a modern liberal theological regime.

((OOC: Note that this proposal requires that nations treat same-sex couples the same as opposite-sex couples for the purposes of domestic partnership and child-rearing. In that way it goes further than CoCR.))

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:42 pm

This proposal has been substantially restructured to outline the rights and duties of domestic partnerships in more detail.

I have also performed a more thorough review of existing World Assembly resolutions that touch upon marriage to see how their subject matter would be affected by this proposal:
  1. Child Welfare in Adoption: references marital status as a prohibited ground for discrimination; regulation would be considered a secondary effect under clause 7c
  2. Rights of Sapient Species: requires that member states define legal age of marriage with reference to individual species; regulation would be considered a secondary effect under clause 7c
  3. Foreign Marriage Recognition: requires foreign marriage recognition; permitted explicitly by clause 7a
  4. Forced Marriages Ban Act: requires consent for contractual unions; written surprisingly broadly, so regulation would be considered a secondary effect under clause 7c
  5. The Right to a Lawful Divorce: requires member states to recognize divorce for marriages; probably illegal under clause 6, but proposal has been rewritten to guarantee right to "divorce" in a domestic partnership context, which is actually broader in scope and should be all that is required; will likely repeal The Right to a Lawful Divorce after this is passed for that reason

Martin Russell
Chief Ambassador, Auralian Mission to the World Assembly
Last edited by Auralia on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Bible Baptist Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Bible Baptist Republic » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Auralia wrote:
The Bible Baptist Republic wrote:

((OOC: Note that this proposal requires that nations treat same-sex couples the same as opposite-sex couples for the purposes of domestic partnership and child-rearing. In that way it goes further than CoCR.))

Which still allows a let's just say, less than enlightened nation, to strip their currently married heterosexual couples of all the rights and privileges the law previously afforded to them and claim they had to repeal all those discriminatory laws because of the WA and The Gays (rather than allow same sex couples the same rights and privileges or just resign from the WA, which last I checked wasn't a roach motel where the nations check in but they can't check out ) and technically be in compliance because everyone is getting the same lousy deal.
-- Ambassador Robert Make-Me-An-Instrument-Of-Your-Worship Conklin, Bible Baptist Republic

Clean Land
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Clean Land » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:15 am

This proposal seems to duplicate almost the entire World Assembly resolution 39.
Last edited by Clean Land on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonslinding WA Mission » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:57 am

"Or perhaps more realistically, a member state may just decide to not have a state sanctioned institution of marriage. This is the case with Dragonslund, marriage is a completely religious institution, it confers no special rights, or compensations on to those who choose to engage in it. And as for the smallfolk is largely irrelevant anyway since they largely don't hold any property of greater value than their scythe. For the nobility it merely confers the social status of nobility onto the children of a lady provided she is indeed married to a lord."

Please note that Ser is a title not a name. It denotes that both of these gentlemen have been knighted

We creatively comply with a number of WA resolutions, check out our factbook on the matter if you'd like to know more.

Cisgendered, homosexual white male. Classically liberal/libertarian, this nation does not reflect my actual political positions.

Routcher
Envoy

Founded: Apr 06, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Routcher » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:47 am

I can't wait to vote against this.
Long Live Emperor Tywin II!

The United Artherian Federation
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The United Artherian Federation » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:49 am

"Opposed. We do not condone heathen marriages."
Twice sigbanned, once scared of the wrath of the forum mods.
On this index, my military is a 10-10-7.
Raider, military coniessour, God's slowest writer.

Naqil
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Naqil » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:04 am

The United Artherian Federation wrote:"Opposed. We do not condone heathen marriages."

Ixhua snorts. "You don't want anyone who isn't in your specific religion to get married? That's- I can't call it the silliest thing I've ever heard here, because this Assembly is ridiculous, but it's pretty high up there."
This nation's views do not necessarily coincide with my own. Please assume all statements are IC unless specified otherwise.

The Naqin Ambassador is Ixhua of House Yavuas. She's extremely traditionalist, and is known to have her eye on the Presidency for when President Dratan retires.

Essu Beti is my puppet, in theory. In actuality I use Essu Beti as more or less my default these days even though this account came first.

Ambassador

Postby The United Artherian Federation » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:02 am

Naqil wrote:
The United Artherian Federation wrote:"Opposed. We do not condone heathen marriages."

Ixhua snorts. "You don't want anyone who isn't in your specific religion to get married? That's- I can't call it the silliest thing I've ever heard here, because this Assembly is ridiculous, but it's pretty high up there."

"Not that kind of Marriage," Welch says.
"I mean homosexual marriages. But, this is kind of stupid because same sex marriages are already covered by the CoCR."

Naqil
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Naqil » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:09 am

"Heathen does not mean homosexual. It never has."

Ambassador

Postby The United Artherian Federation » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:24 am

Naqil wrote:"Heathen does not mean homosexual. It never has."

"The context I am using it in is an "pagan" marriage, as the Book of my Lord does not allow these types of marriage."

Naqil
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Naqil » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:29 am

"Pagan also doesn't mean homosexual," Ixhua says.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:44 pm

Naqil wrote:"Pagan also doesn't mean homosexual," Ixhua says.
“Nor does homoexual mean pagan.”

Ambassador

Postby The United Artherian Federation » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:25 pm

"I'm using pagan as in the sense that it doesn't go with the bible."

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonslinding WA Mission » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:51 pm

"I don't know what this 'bible' that you speak of is. However, I would suggest that when the Ambassador uses words he understands what those words mean. I find a dictionary most efficacious in discovering the meanings of words one wishes to use but is unsure of the meaning of." Ser Dawrin Stone commented offhandedly.

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:54 am

The United Artherian Federation wrote:

"I'm using pagan as in the sense that it doesn't go with the bible."

"Ah, so according to our dictionary, definition 3(a): 'a person who is not a Christian, Jew, or Muslim; a heathen' which is marked as being disparaging and offensive. We'll have to remember to offer a proper sacrifice to Lord Hermaphroditus and Lord Cupido to punish you appropriately. "
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives