NATION

PASSWORD

DRAFT: Against Unnecessary Food Wastage

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

DRAFT: Against Unnecessary Food Wastage

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:28 am

Against Unnecessary Food Wastage (just a working title)

Category: Social Justice (probably - one could argue this to be Environmental: Manufacturing, too)
Strength: Mild

The World Assembly,

Concerned that in many nations the current trend in food industry is to ignore the loss of edible foodstuffs at every step of the process from the producer to the consumer, and simply produce more than is needed,

Aware that in many nations the sheer overabundance of food available leads to a lot of it spoiling rather than being eaten,

Reminding the representatives of the member nations that in some nations food is scarce without an actual famine situation, despite the previous efforts of WA legislation,

Hoping to encourage goodwill and cooperation between the member nations to ensure adequate nutrition1 to every legal resident2 of the World Assembly nations3,

Hereby,

1. Defines, for the purposes of this legislation,
  1. "unconsumed food" as food that is still safe to eat, but which has passed an arbitrary sell-by-date,
  2. "donatable food" as food that will still be safe to eat after being transported a reasonable distance in an adequately equipped transport vehicle,
  3. "manufacturing leftovers" as foodstuffs4 which still can be used to gain nutrition from, but which the food industry considers unprofitable to process further,
  4. "food loss" as the wastage of safe and nutritionally sound foodstuffs,

2. Requires that all member nations conduct a survey to find out the total food loss within their jurisdiction, with the intent of finding out which step of the producer-to-consumer chain needs improvements most critically,5

3. Requires that all food manufacturers take all possible reasonable steps6 to reduce the amount of manufacturing leftovers,

4. Encourages food manufacturers to donate manufacturing leftovers to non-profit organizations that are willing to process them further for the purpose of donating the foodstuffs to a foreign nation7,

5. Encourages grocery stores and other food sellers to either sell unconsumed food at a large discount, or donate it to non-profit organizations that will see to it being distributed further8,

6. Mandates that no non-profit organization, whether state-owned or otherwise, can distribute foodstuffs they know are not safe to eat, and requires them to do randomized tests to ensure the safety of the donated food,

7. Encourages member nations to waive the taxes and tariffs on donatable food, when it is exported or imported by a non-profit organization with the intent of minimizing food loss by distributing the foodstuffs to the poor and needy.

OOC Notes:
1 Minimum Standards of Living only ensures minimum amount of food; some people have already, in the past, demonstrated that they consider "minimum" to equate to "what you can survive on", rather than "what you can thrive on".

2 I know CoCR says inhabitants, but at least one GenSec member has agreed in the past that "legal resident" is legal enough. Besides, the minimum amount of food from the previous resolution still applies to all inhabitants.

3 Since the WA can't legislate on non-member nations, ensuring something can only be done with WA nations.

4 If anyone knows a more professional sounding word for this, please let me know. I'm using the word that Google Translate coughed up when I put the professional Finnish word through it.

5 Not entirely happy with the wording, if anyone can think of a better way to say it, please let me know.

6 Yes, I know that the "reasonable" can be read as not requiring them to do anything that they're not already doing, but mandating "all possible steps" would lead to a situation where the manufacturer likely couldn't function properly at all, or where substandard food ended up to the paying customers.

7 I know that many food manufacturers make goods for foreign markets already, but at least the non-profits won't "compete" domestically.

8 Unconsumed food is basically just going to cost the grocery store some money if they have to deal with it themselves, even if only by it increasing the amount of trash they have to pay someone to take away, especially in nations with advanced recycling programs. Thus letting a non-profit take it away equals money saved for the stores.

OOC: Inspired by, and offered for the use of The Great Boom, but as they didn't want it, posted by myself.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:31 am

"This version prevents poisoning. We oppose any measure that requires government funding to enable aid of our enemies unless we can poison the crap out of that aid."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:39 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"This version prevents poisoning. We oppose any measure that requires government funding to enable aid of our enemies unless we can poison the crap out of that aid."

"Sounds like a good reason to do this then... Although, could you point out the bit that requires government funding to send food out of the country? Especially to your enemies?"

OOC: :rofl:
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:43 am

Opposed. Not an international issue.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:51 am

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"This version prevents poisoning. We oppose any measure that requires government funding to enable aid of our enemies unless we can poison the crap out of that aid."

"Sounds like a good reason to do this then... Although, could you point out the bit that requires government funding to send food out of the country? Especially to your enemies?"

"We have to cover surveys to enable nonprofits to donate, possibly to our enemies. Unacceptable. We oppose any government funding that indirectly benefits our enemies, and oppose anything that prevents us from poisoning those filthy Biggies."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:58 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"We have to cover surveys to enable nonprofits to donate"

"Actually, no. You just need to pay for a "survey to find out the total food loss within their jurisdiction, with the intent of finding out which step of the producer-to-consumer chain needs improvements most critically". And also, if your food manufacturers are state-owned enterprises, they need to reduce said food waste. Everything else is simply encouragement, your nation doesn't have to act on it."

"and oppose anything that prevents us from poisoning those filthy Biggies."

"Buy me a drink in the Bar and I'll let you know of the loophole that still lets you do that..."

OOC: You being a legal person thingy, is "foodstuffs" an official enough a word for legislation?
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:02 pm

Alexander Smith, Tinhamptonian Delegate-Ambassador to the World Assembly, whilst dumping a jacket potato from the Wing W canteen a few blocks down the corridor: In all honesty... I'll have to say no to this one.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:03 pm

Araraukar wrote:"Buy me a drink in the Bar and I'll let you know of the loophole that still lets you do that..."

OOC: You being a legal person thingy, is "foodstuffs" an official enough a word for legislation?

Bell taps the side of his nose and then sits down.

OOC: Yeah, it's fine. Food products would work, too.

The Great Boom
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Boom » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:46 pm

I think there's been a misunderstanding. This resolution isn't aimed at the legal restrictions that mine targets, so they are fundamentally different and don't overlap, except for some language and the tax cuts, which I incorporated from your draft. I guess by suggesting the feedback and then drafting your own resolution, you leave me no choice but to cut those features in order to avoid duplicate legislation. It's a shame - I wanted to work together and form a resolution aimed at protecting food donors and regulating donation. If you're no longer in that fight, I will modify my resolution accordingly. I appreciate your contributions regardless, and if you still have feedback, ill accept it.

On the subject of this resolution, I obviously support it.
Last edited by The Great Boom on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:06 pm

The Great Boom wrote:I think there's been a misunderstanding. This resolution isn't aimed at the legal restrictions that mine targets, so they are fundamentally different and don't overlap

OOC: I don't think there's any misunderstanding. I know there isn't much overlap, which is why I posted this as an independent draft. I wouldn't have done that if it had been too similar to what you have.

I guess by suggesting the feedback and then drafting your own resolution, you leave me no choice but to cut those features in order to avoid duplicate legislation.

Duplication of other proposals isn't a problem, it's only after a proposal becomes a passed resolution that the duplication/contradiction becomes a problem, so don't worry about editing yours. :)

It's a shame - I wanted to work together and form a resolution aimed at protecting food donors and regulating donation.

The problem is that we're disagreeing on the methods; you want to strip restrictions from humanitarian food distributors, I want to make sure they can have some food to distribute but that they have to do that responsibly. And also limit food wastage, which I think you're kind of approaching from a different tangent, but not quite getting there.

There's more to avoiding wasting edible stuff than just ignoring sell-by-dates. For example, there was a hassle a year or two ago about meat (pigs, cows, chickens) that was gained from the carcasses after the prime meats had been cut away, for use in microwave meals and such, where the meat in any case is basically ground up or in small pieces. But because it's not manually cut from the bones, but rather sort of scraped off by machinery, there was some weird EU directive that meant it wasn't classified as meat. (It was cleared up faster than the outrage over it ended, I think, but it was very amusing.) Such meat is not prime beef or chicken filet, but it's perfectly edible and using such scrapings in food industry means that it's that much less meat needed in total, and that much less that's thrown out.

I appreciate your contributions regardless, and if you still have feedback, ill accept it.

Oh I didn't mean that I would no longer help you, by posting this one. It's just that the basic rule is "one thread per proposal, one proposal per thread". So with two different proposals, it was best to move one into its own thread.

Unrelated: Something random I learned today.
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Bible Baptist Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: May 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Bible Baptist Republic » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:36 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
-- Ambassador Robert Make-Me-An-Instrument-Of-Your-Worship Conklin, Bible Baptist Republic

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:37 am

The Bible Baptist Republic wrote: :clap: :clap: :clap:

OOC: You know that smiley spam is against the forum rules, right? If you have no comment whatsoever, don't post. And if you do have a comment, even just to say that your character agrees with Mr. Bell, then post it.
Last edited by Araraukar on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:54 pm

Araraukar wrote:
The Bible Baptist Republic wrote: :clap: :clap: :clap:

OOC: You know that smiley spam is against the forum rules, right? If you have no comment whatsoever, don't post. And if you do have a comment, even just to say that your character agrees with Mr. Bell, then post it.

OOC: Turn off smileys. Best setting I've made on this forum.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:OOC: Turn off smileys. Best setting I've made on this forum.

OOC: Which would make their post entirely empty and thus still spam.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:11 am

OOC: Bumping this one up again. Really need opinions on the category. Social Justice? Environmental - Manufacturing? Other?

He Qixin 2
Envoy

Founded: Nov 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin 2 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:12 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Bumping this one up again. Really need opinions on the category. Social Justice? Environmental - Manufacturing? Other?

"Well, umm... it's umm... difficult to decide. It kind of overlaps with Social Justice, Environmental - Manufacturing and maaaaybe Advancement of Industry - Environmental Deregulation."
"TNP is the best of the best! Or should I say, elite!" -jacknjellify

OOC: I just love puns so much.

Pun Of The Day: Iceland is such an ICE-olated isLAND!

Pun Counter: 22

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:28 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Bumping this one up again. Really need opinions on the category. Social Justice? Environmental - Manufacturing? Other?

OOC: thinking about this.
If you add a line in the preamble explicitly stating that reducing waste is likely to increase the supply of edible food (at least slightly), and thus to help the poor, that would strengthen the argument for Social justice.
Also, would your definition of wastefulness include using crops that people could eat directly to to feed livestock instead?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:04 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC: thinking about this.
If you add a line in the preamble explicitly stating that reducing waste is likely to increase the supply of edible food (at least slightly), and thus to help the poor, that would strengthen the argument for Social justice.

OOC: Good point. I'll see what I can do for the next draft.

Also, would your definition of wastefulness include using crops that people could eat directly to to feed livestock instead?

Well, kinda yes and kinda no, because I personally won't voluntarily give up meat-eating so I won't write a proposal that would in essence require that, but it might work if the clause had "when a viable alternative exists", because I'd also rather eat a cow that ate grass and hay during its lifetime than one that ate something unnatural for its species...
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:27 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Which would make their post entirely empty and thus still spam.

No, it would turn them into colon form,

Code: Select all
 :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:30 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Which would make their post entirely empty and thus still spam.

OOC: Well, learn something new every day. Still fitting "Short, Pointless, Annoying Message", though. ;)

(EDIT: I also learned today that making a vegan b'day cake is very difficult if it also has to be wheatless and soyless...)
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

He Qixin 2
Envoy

Founded: Nov 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin 2 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:20 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:

wat code?
"TNP is the best of the best! Or should I say, elite!" -jacknjellify

OOC: I just love puns so much.

Pun Of The Day: Iceland is such an ICE-olated isLAND!

Pun Counter: 22

Snowman
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Snowman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:33 pm

Araraukar wrote:Well, kinda yes and kinda no, because I personally won't voluntarily give up meat-eating so I won't write a proposal that would in essence require that, but it might work if the clause had "when a viable alternative exists", because I'd also rather eat a cow that ate grass and hay during its lifetime than one that ate something unnatural for its species...

Well all the crops fed to cows are unnatural for them. They ain't gonna be growing corn without humans planting & breeding it.

Tinfect
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 04, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tinfect » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:55 am

Araraukar wrote:(EDIT: I also learned today that making a vegan b'day cake is very difficult if it also has to be wheatless and soyless...)

OOC:
Thought trying to work that out might turn out fun.
Raslin Seretis, Imperial Diplomatic Envoy, He/Him
Tolarn Feren, Civil Oversight Representative, He/Him
Jasot Rehlan, Military Oversight Representative, She/Her

Bisexual, Transgender (She/Her), Native-American, and Actual CommunistTM.

Imperium Central News Network: EMERGENCY ALERT: ALL CITIZENS ARE TO PROCEED TO EVACUATION SITES IMMEDIATELY | EMERGENCY ALERT: ALL FURTHER SUBSPACE SIGNALS AND SYSTEMS ARE TO BE DISABLED IMMEDIATELY | EMERGENCY ALERT: THE FOLLOWING SYSTEMS ARE ACCESS PROHIBITED BY STANDARD/BLACKOUT [Error: Format Unrecognized] | Indomitable Bastard #283
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:53 am

Bears Armed wrote:

OOC: thinking about this.

It might help the category but it's a very weak argument. Contrary to what what your parents might have told you, famines are a product of things like war, crop failure or government policy, not people in other countries wasting food.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Attempted Socialism
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Attempted Socialism » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:18 am

Aclion wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:OOC: thinking about this.

It might help the category but it's a very weak argument. Contrary to what what your parents might have told you, famines are a product of things like war, crop failure or government policy, not people in other countries wasting food.
OOC: Famines are (If you add 'corporate policy' to your list of causes), but food insecurity is a function of food pricing (Through either costs of manufacture which includes losses on wastage or scarcity-induced price increases). Reducing wastage would lower manufacturing costs (Thus lower prices) and would reduce scarcity (Again, lower prices). Unless you contend that there's a famine due to war, crop failure, government policy or corporate policy in the US right now, 15,6 million food insecure households would very much like people to stop wasting food that they could have used.

Represented in the World Assembly by Ambassador Robert Mortimer Pride, called The Regicide
Assume OOC unless otherwise indicated. My WA Authorship.
Cui Bono, quod seipsos custodes custodiunt?
Bobberino: "The academic tone shines through."
Who am I in real life, my opinions and notes
My NS career

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly