NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Marriage Equality Act Redux

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:15 pm

The Great Boom wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: That's all I needed to hear. Opposed.

Humor me ambassador, what is the reason behind your question? How would you like to see polygamy handled?

Fairburn: I have made myself clear enough. Declare that polygamy shall not be considered by the WA henceforth.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

The Sixth District
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sixth District » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Ambassador Karlov looks over his copy of the resolution. "First, the first clause of the preamble refers to the WA despite the fact that the very first line clearly establishes that the World Assembly is the party 'Encouraged by the enormous show of support.' Second, a few of the non-binding clauses contain what is little more than extraneous fluff: there is little point in describing the show of support as enormous, you don't need to reiterate that resolution GA410 is Marriage Equality after you've made it clear the first time, the acutely is unnecessary, etc. Third, 'access to the institution of marriage' is heavily overwritten and in no way a fundamental right. Also, you used the word fundamental twice in as many passages. Fourth, while it is certainly true that governments have an effect on common practices, a government cannot directly 'ban same-sex marriage... as de facto practice.' Fifth, the second binding clause doesn't need the laundry list. Besides, I find it difficult to tell what this clause attempts to accomplish. Oh, and you can't reap a benefit upon someone. Sixth, the third clause doesn't need the 'codified by law' bit. Any nation with laws about marriage will undoubtedly understand the basic concept of marriage. Seventh, the fourth clause is superfluous. That and the WA cannot 'Hereby Whereas' something. By including the first sentence and the 'Hereby' sentence, you make it necessary to make all clauses after them verbs. I'm just going to ignore the fifth clause, because I need my sleep. Eighth, many WA members have non-human populations. There's the car one. And the ferret guy. Oh, and the plants.

But other than that, looks great and seems supportable."

He leaves.
ORZHOV SYNDICATE

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:48 pm

The Great Boom wrote:
Fauxia wrote:“Opposed”

Out of curiosity ambassador are you fundamentally opposed to the goal or is there an issue with the resolution?
“First one, ambassador”
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

The Great Boom
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Boom » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:53 am

States of Glory WA Office wrote:
The Great Boom wrote:
Humor me ambassador, what is the reason behind your question? How would you like to see polygamy handled?

Fairburn: I have made myself clear enough. Declare that polygamy shall not be considered by the WA henceforth.

Well, that's a poison pill that isn't relevant to the resolution and would lose me a hundred votes for every one it earned. I hope you'll reconsider, but banning the WA from handling future issues without a proposal myself would kill the bill and I think you know that.

The Great Boom
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Boom » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:56 am

The Sixth District wrote:Ambassador Karlov looks over his copy of the resolution. "First, the first clause of the preamble refers to the WA despite the fact that the very first line clearly establishes that the World Assembly is the party 'Encouraged by the enormous show of support.' Second, a few of the non-binding clauses contain what is little more than extraneous fluff: there is little point in describing the show of support as enormous, you don't need to reiterate that resolution GA410 is Marriage Equality after you've made it clear the first time, the acutely is unnecessary, etc. Third, 'access to the institution of marriage' is heavily overwritten and in no way a fundamental right. Also, you used the word fundamental twice in as many passages. Fourth, while it is certainly true that governments have an effect on common practices, a government cannot directly 'ban same-sex marriage... as de facto practice.' Fifth, the second binding clause doesn't need the laundry list. Besides, I find it difficult to tell what this clause attempts to accomplish. Oh, and you can't reap a benefit upon someone. Sixth, the third clause doesn't need the 'codified by law' bit. Any nation with laws about marriage will undoubtedly understand the basic concept of marriage. Seventh, the fourth clause is superfluous. That and the WA cannot 'Hereby Whereas' something. By including the first sentence and the 'Hereby' sentence, you make it necessary to make all clauses after them verbs. I'm just going to ignore the fifth clause, because I need my sleep. Eighth, many WA members have non-human populations. There's the car one. And the ferret guy. Oh, and the plants.

But other than that, looks great and seems supportable."

He leaves.

I appreciate the review ambassador, many of these changes are coming shortly,

The Great Boom
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Boom » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:05 pm

The resolution has been updated to include all of the reviews given in the last week. I intend to submit this the moment Imperium Anglorum's repeal passes. I assume that I cannot submit it before that resolution passes, since it would be illegal to contradict the previous marriage equality resolution until it is repealed. If I'm wrong about this, let me know.

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:52 pm

The Great Boom wrote:1) DEFINES, for the purposes of this legislation
B: marriage as a joining of a sapient beings of consenting age who have the legal ability to marry each other, the mutual consent of both parties and a marriage contract associated with the law of their nation,

This is a recursive definition -- marriage is defined "...a joining of...beings who have the legal ability to marry each other...and a marriage contract..." -- and is therefore meaningless.

Martin Russell
Chief Ambassador, Auralian Mission to the World Assembly
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

The Great Boom
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Boom » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:32 pm

Auralia wrote:
The Great Boom wrote:1) DEFINES, for the purposes of this legislation
B: marriage as a joining of a sapient beings of consenting age who have the legal ability to marry each other, the mutual consent of both parties and a marriage contract associated with the law of their nation,

This is a recursive definition -- marriage is defined "...a joining of...beings who have the legal ability to marry each other...and a marriage contract..." -- and is therefore meaningless.

Martin Russell

Good call, I'll take out the word marriage. But otherwise the definition works I think.

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:10 am

The Great Boom wrote:Good call, I'll take out the word marriage. But otherwise the definition works I think.

No, it doesn't. Your definition states that marriage is a contractual "joining" between people who are legally permitted to engage in such a "joining" and who consent to it. But there are many kinds of consensual contractual "joining" between persons. For example, membership in associations, the adoption of children of sufficient age, and employment agreements all would constitute "marriage" under your definition, but I presume that is not your intent.

Martin Russell
Last edited by Auralia on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:15 am

"I really don't see why this all can't be trimmed down substantially. It seems like a great deal of excessive words to just say "if you allow opposite sex couples to marry, you must also allow same sex couples to marry". If you can say something with two words rather than two hundred, please say it with two.

"We all know what the word marriage means, we all know what adults are. These words do not need to be defined.

"This still whole thing looks suspiciously like a mandate for polygamous marriages. All this talk of groups, individuals, adults, yet I see no mention of couples or two individuals.

"Why does clause three act on individuals rather than on the married couple/union/whatever you want to call it?

"Clause four looks like it applies to weddings and everybody is entitled to the same wedding. Why?

"As to clause five & six, all I can say is: What?"

OOC: Seriously, this could do with a lot more polishing. Please don't rush to submission.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly